About the Niles CM7FX
Hide your surround speakers in your ceiling
Hide your surround speakers in your ceiling
Here at Crutchfield, Niles has been one of our go-to brands for custom audio installation gear for decades. This pair of high-performance in-ceiling speakers excels at one specific job: reproducing the surround channels of a custom-installed home theater system. Each speaker uses two 1" soft dome tweeters, pointing away from each other to spread the sound effects in a wide pattern. There's also a switch to put the speakers in "diffuse" or "direct" mode, depending on your installation and room acoustics.
The CM7FX speakers also feature a 7" woofer with a rugged tight-weave, glass-fiber cone for solid mids and bass. High power handling and spring-tensioned mounting clamps make this speaker installer-friendly.
- two pivoting, fluid-cooled 1" Teteron® soft dome tweeters offer ultra-wide dispersion for surround effects channels in a home theater
- bridge-mounted tweeter array projects high frequencies at opposing angles for wide dispersion
- direct/diffuse (bipole/dipole) switch lets you adjust the speaker's output for your specific installation
- 7" tight-weave glass-fiber woofer
- recommended amplifier power: 10-140 watts
- frequency response: 52-21,000 Hz (±3dB)
- impedance: 8 ohms
- magnetically attached grilles
- spring-tensioned mounting clamps for easier installation
- cutout diameter: 8-1/2"
- overall diameter: 9-15/16"
- mounting depth: 4-5/16"
- warranty: limited lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FG01660
What's in the box:
- 2 In-ceiling loudspeaker
- s 2 Grilles
- Cutout Template
- Installation Guide
- Limited Warranty Card
- "CAUTION" note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Niles CM7FX
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Pair|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Glass Fiber|
|Connector Type||Spring clip|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-140|
|Parts Warranty||Limited Lifetime|
|Labor Warranty||Limited Lifetime|
Surround Effect In-Ceiling Loudspeaker: The Niles CM7FX is an in-ceiling surround effects loudspeaker for home theater applications. It can be used as a side and/or rear surround back channel loudspeaker. It features an adjustable Diffuse/Direct Switch to provide the best sound for your particular application.
- Diffuse Setting: Use the Diffuse setting for movies and general music listening since most films are mixed using non-localized surround effects and music is usually recorded in a favorable acoustic environment. For 7.1-channel home theater systems, use the Diffuse for side surround speaker.
- Direct Setting: Use the Direct setting for discrete multi-channel recordings that equally emphasize front and surround sounds. For 7.1-channel home theater systems, use the Direct setting for rear surround speakers.
2-Way Driver Design: The Niles CM7FX in-ceiling speaker employs a 2-way driver design featuring dual Teteron tweeters and a single 7" woofer to create spacious surround sound effects.
- Dual 1" Pivoting Teteron Dome Tweeters: Dual 1" pivoting fluid-cooled Teteron dome tweeters offer ultra-wide dispersion and smooth high-frequency response. The bridge-mounted surround effects (FX) tweeter array directs the high-frequency sounds at opposing angles to create realistic surround sound effects.
- 7" Glass Fiber Cone Woofer: The 7" Glass fiber cone woofer is extremely rigid to reduce breakup, lower distortion and provide enhanced bass response. The woofer's Butyl rubber surround damps resonance and provides exceptional durability.
Tweeter Level Switch: The 3-position tweeter level switch allows you to adjust the high frequency output of the CM7FX to compensate for room acoustics.
- The center position, marked "0", does not affect the tweeter's output.
- Moving the switch to the "-" position reduces the tweeter output by 3dB to compensate for bright rooms (tile or wood floors, sparse furnishing, tall ceilings).
- Moving the switch to the "+" position increases the tweeter output by 3dB to compensate for absorptive rooms (carpeting, lots of drapery, plush furniture, etc.).
Spring-Clip Terminals: The Niles CM7FX is outfitted with a set of spring-clip terminals that will accommodate up to 12AWG speaker wire or pin-connectors. Use 16AWG speaker wire for wire lengths of 80' or less, 14AWG speaker wire for wire lengths of 81'-200', and 12AWG speaker for wire lengths of more than 200'.
MicroThin Grille: The magnetically attached MicroThin grille installs quickly and provides a low-profile look. The MicroThin grille ensures a clean, virtually invisible appearance that blends with the room's aesthetics. It only protrudes 0.1875" from the ceiling. The MicroThin grille is white in color, but can be painted to match the color of your ceiling.
Mounting Options: The patent-pending spring tensioned mounting clamps permit quick installation and compensate for uneven mounting surfaces and varied environmental conditions. The Niles CM7FX requires a round, circular cutout in the ceiling (0.5" to 0.625" thick) that measures 8.5" in diameter and 4.3125" in depth. You'll also need approximately 1" of clearance around the cutout behind the ceiling to accommodate the mounting clamps.
- Side Surround Placement: Position surround effects loudspeakers to the sides of the listening area with the tweeters in-line with the listener. The tweeters should point to the front and rear of the room.
- Rear Surround Placement: Position the surround effects loudspeakers behind the listening area, to the inside of the front left and right speakers. The tweeters should point to the sides of the room.