About the Bose® FreeSpace® DS 40SE
Wall-mount Bose® speakers for your business
Wall-mount Bose® speakers for your business
Don't your customers deserve Bose®? Bose products — from headphones to home theater systems — have been customer-pleasing best-sellers for us for decades, so we're happy to be able to extend that same experience to business owners. The FreeSpace® DS 40SE speaker has a full-range 4-1/2" driver, and an innovative thumb wheel transformer tap that lets you power multiple speakers with a single amplifier.
Build a customizable system to fill your entire restaurant, gym, office, or similar place of business with music and clear, audible announcements.
Mount it exactly where you want it
This weather-resistant speaker can be wall-mounted horizontally or vertically with the included bracket. Once you've chosen the perfect mounting location, you can dial in the coverage area with adjustable pitch and yaw settings. Bose offers optional wall-mount, ceiling-mount, and pole-mount brackets for more challenging locations, too.
Part of a customizable Bose sound solution
The Bose Professional family of products offers speakers, amplifiers, processors and accessories that are designed to work together.
The lineup includes:
- A wide array of FreeSpace® speakers, subwoofers, and zone amplifiers
- in-ceiling EdgeMax™ speakers for placement in corners and near walls
- rugged PowerShare amplifiers
- clear, reliable Panaray® full-range driver arrays
- versatile ControlSpace® signal processors
- robust MB subwoofers
Our system designers can help you choose the right mix of products to customize a system that sounds amazing in your unique space.
Get a free system design
- 4-1/2" full-range driver for background/foreground music and customer paging
- voiced for tonal consistency with other Bose® FreeSpace® DS components
- multi-tap transformer with convenient thumb wheel for changing tap settings
- 70-volt taps at 2.5, 5, 10, 20, and 40 watts
- 100-volt taps at 5,10, 20 and 40 watts
- 8-ohm bypass for use with standard home stereo equipment
- frequency response: 80-17,000 Hz (± 3dB)
- sensitivity: 87dB
- mounting bracket with variable pitch and yaw included
- 12-13/16"W x 6-5/16"H x 6-15/16"D
- weight: 8.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 321279-0210
What's in the box:
- Wall-mount bracket
- P2 Phillips-head fastener
- 3 mm pin-in-hex head fastener
- Strain relief clamp
- 7 mm flat-head screw
- Installation guide
Bose® FreeSpace® DS 40SE reviews
More details on the Bose® FreeSpace® DS 40SE
Features & specs
|Drivers per speaker||1|
|Woofer Size (inches)||N/A|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||N/A|
|System Frequency response||80-17,000|
|Maximum SPL||109 dB|
|Power rating||40 Watts|
|Peak Power rating||---|
Overview: The Bose FreeSpace DS 40SE is a full-range, surface-mount, 70/100 volt loudspeaker designed for foreground and background music as well as speech reproduction in a wide range of installed applications such as restaurants, retail stores, houses of worship, and more. The DS 40SE consists of a single 4.5" full-range driver in a ported enclosure that can be surface-mounted vertically or horizontally giving it a 125˚ x 125˚ coverage pattern and a frequency response that goes down to 70 Hz.
70/100 Volt: The DS 40SE is rated for 40 watt RMS (160 peak) and can be used with both 70 and 100 volt systems and includes an 8Ω bypass mode as well. An easy-to-change thumb wheel allows tap settings to be made without having to remove the speaker from its mount. Accessing the tap dial is done by un-snapping one end of the front grill trim. The following tap settings are available:
- 70 V: 2.5 W, 5 W, 10 W, 20 W, and 40 W
- 100 V: 5 W, 10 W, 20 W, and 40 W
Shared Voicing: Shared voicing across the entire FreeSpace DS product line allows the DS 16, DS 40, and DS 100 loudspeakers to be integrated into the same system while maintaining consistent tonal quality.
Mounting: Bose offers a versatile mounting system with the DS 40SE. The built-in rear mounting bracket can be rotated 90˚ by removing four screws, allowing the speaker to be mounted horizontally or vertically. The mounting bracket allows up to 45˚ of tilt or swivel, depending on how the speaker is aligned, and the Bose logo can also be rotated to match the speaker orientation. All wiring for the speaker is attached to set-screw terminals inside the wall-mount plate. A single 4-pin connector cable on the speaker plugs into a socket on the wall-plate, giving the speaker a clean look and allowing it to easily be detached and re-attached to the mount. Two threaded fasteners are provided to hold the speaker to the wall-plate (only one is needed), one with a standard P2 Phillips-head and one with a 3 mm pin-in-hex head. This is a tamper-prevention fastener that requires a specific tool to remove (sold separately). An M4 x 14 mm socket is provided on the back of the speaker for an optional safety chain.
- Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB): 80 Hz - 17 kHz
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 70 Hz - 19 kHz
- Nominal Dispersion: 125˚ H x 125˚ V
- Recommended High-Pass Filter: 70 Hz high-pass
- Overload Protection: PTC/Resistor
- Power Handling: 40 W (160 W peak)
- Sensitivity: 87 dB SPL
- Maximum SPL: 103 dB SPL (109 db SPL peak)
- Nominal Impedance: 8Ω
- Transformer Taps:
- 70 V: 2.5 W, 5 W, 10 W, 20 W, 40 W
- 100 V: 5 W, 10 W, 20 W, 40 W
- Driver: 4.5" full-range
- Enclosure: PC/ABS, textured
- Grill: Powder-coated steel
- Environmental: Outdoor per IEC 529 IP55
- Connectors: Three terminal set-screw on mounting bracket. Accepts 18 - 14 AWG
- Dimensions: Width - 12.750", Height - 6.250", Depth - 8.250" / 9.250" with bracket
- Weight: 8.5 lbs.