About the Kicker 40KX400.1
Delivers dependable bass with style
Delivers dependable bass with style
Kicker's KX400.1 mono subwoofer amplifier will power your bass with up to 400 watts RMS. This reliable and compact KX Series rocker remains cool even when pushed hard, thanks to its high-mass heatsink, high-tech internal components, and efficient Class-D amp technology.
Connects to virtually any system
Kicker employs their Fail-Safe Integration Technology (FIT™) to reject noise and stop any interference generated by your car's electronics, so you'll enjoy your music clean and pure. Speaker-level inputs make it possible to hook this amp up to almost any stereo, even a factory system. Kicker even thought to build in a 3-second turn-on delay, eliminating any annoying and potentially damaging turn-on pops.
Bass controls behind the folding door
You can tune for almost any enclosure and sub, and keep the signal clean, using the steeply-sloped low-pass and subsonic filters. A parametric KickEQ™ lets you choose a bass frequency to boost and also how many notes above and below that center frequency you can boost along with it, for some killer bass tone. And a wired remote lets you control all that level of bass from your front seat.
KX400.1 control panel
- mono subwoofer amplifier
- 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- variable low-pass filter (40-160 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- Kick EQ+ parametric bass boost (0-18 dB at 20-80 Hz with bandwidth adjustment 1-5)
- variable subsonic filter (10-80 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- front-mounted controls protected behind fold-down door with magnetic latches
- wired remote level control included
- Class D amp technology with boost-converter power supply allows amp to achieve near 80 percent efficiency
- Fail-Safe Integration Technology eliminates noise from your vehicle's electrical system
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input))
- preamp outputs
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 60-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses when installing multiple amplifiers in a system, an additional 60-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and this amplifier is recommended
- 8-1/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 8-3/4"D
- warranty: 2 years (extends to 3 years when purchased with either a Kicker single amp wiring kit or a Kicker multi-amp kit)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 40KX4001
What's in the box:
- Mono subwoofer amplifier
- Remote bass-level control knob
- 20' Remote cable (with an RJ-25 phone plug on each end)
- Four 2" Self-tapping screws
- 4 Flat washers
- Two 3/8" Self-tapping screws
- 3mm Allen wrench
- Owner's Manual (English/ French/ Spanish/ German)
- Power certificate
Kicker 40KX400.1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kicker 40KX400.1
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
200 x 1 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||800 x 1|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||400 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-160 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||75 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-160 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||20-80 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Class D Amplifier Design: The Kicker KX400.1 is a Class D subwoofer amplifier, which uses digital switching to amplify audio signals. This design results in high efficiency and less heat. The Class D design also allows the KX400.1 to have a small footprint for increased cargo space.
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4Ω load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz (for full range amplifiers). Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4Ω. CEA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Using CEA-2006 criteria, the Kicker KX400.1 is rated at 200 Watts RMS x 1 channel with a 75 dBA signal to noise ratio.
Specifications: The manual also lists these non CEA-2006 compliant specifications:
- Power: 400 watts x 1-channel (into 2Ω with no more than 1% THD+N, 14.4 volts)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 95 dB (at rated power)
Kicker Livin' Loud Certified Power Certificate: The amplifier comes with a certificate that indicates the total maximum RMS power output of the particular amplifier, along with the model number, serial number, and whether the amplifier passed the total harmonic distortion, signal-to-noise ratio, and protection circuit tests.
Low-Pass Filter: The Kicker KX400.1 is equipped with a low-pass electronic crossover. This continuously variable low pass filter can be set between 40 Hz and 160 Hz with a slope of 24 dB/octave. Properly set, the low pass filter creates a smooth transition between the subwoofer and the sound system's full-range speakers. The low-pass crossover cannot by bypassed.
Subsonic Filter: The amp also features a 24 dB/octave subsonic filter, continuously variable from 10 Hz to 80 Hz. Ultra-low frequencies that cannot be reproduced by a subwoofer do not become sound, but unnecessary oscillations, which affect sound by causing distortion. These frequencies also waste amplifier power and can cause damage to speakers. The built-in subsonic filter removes the signal below the set frequency to improve the performance of the speakers by eliminating harmful distortion. The subsonic filter crossover cannot by bypassed.
Auto Turn-On: The Auto Turn-On switch offers three options:
- +12 V: The amp turns on when +12 volts is applied to the remote terminal.
- DC Offset: The amp turns on when a 6 volt offset is detected on the signal inputs (from a speaker-level source); in this mode the amp's remote terminal acts as a +12 volt output to turn on another component.
- Audio: The amp turns on when an incoming audio signal is detected; in this mode the amp's remote terminal acts as a +12 volt output to turn on another component.
KickEQ+: The amplifier's KickEQ bass boost circuit is actually a single band parametric equalizer. The center frequency, Q value, and boost level are all adjustable.
Protection Circuitry: The KX400.1 has protection circuitry that will turn the amp off in the event of overheating, over voltage (power input), under voltage (power input), short circuit (speaker output), and over current (speaker output). If the Protection LED on the front side of the amp illuminates red, the protection circuit has engaged and the amp will not play until the problem is resolved.
Gain: To accommodate the varying range of signal levels coming from today's factory and aftermarket radios, the Kicker KX400.1 features an adjustable gain control (low level: 125mV-5V, high level: 250mV-10V). The rotary control is labeled from 0 to 11.
Subsonic Filter: The rotary subsonic filter control is continuously variable from 10 Hz to 80 Hz
Crossover: The low-pass crossover point is continuously variable from 40 Hz to 160 Hz.
KickEQ+: The KickEQ+ bass boost circuit has three controls:
- Center Frequency: continuously variable from 20 Hz to 80 Hz
- Band Width: the Q value is variable from 1 to 5
- Boost: continuously variable from 0 to 18 dB
KXRC Remote Bass Control: The KX400.1 comes with the KXRC Remote Bass Control, which allows you to control the output level of the amplifier from the front of your vehicle. The wired remote can be mounted under your dash. The supplied 20' cable, with RJ-25 phone plugs at each end, connects the wired remote to the amplifier.
Note: The KXRC Remote Bass Control measures approximately 1-5/8" wide x 1" high x 1-1/4" deep (2-1/8" including knob and cable).
Power Connections: The power and ground connections are set-screw terminals that will accommodate up to 4-gauge wire. The remote turn-on set-screw terminal will accept up to 8-gauge wire. The included Allen-wrench is required to loosen/tighten the terminals.
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with an internal fuse. An external 60-amp fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If the system has only this amp and a wiring kit is used that includes a fuse with a value other than 60-amps, the original should be replaced with a 60-amp fuse.
Speaker Outputs: The Kicker KX400.1 is equipped with set-screw terminals for one speaker. The terminals will accommodate up to 8-gauge wire and are loosened/tightened with the included Allen-wrench.
Dual Sensitivity Inputs: The KX series amplifiers have dual input sensitivity differential RCA inputs, which will accept either speaker-level (high) or RCA (low) signals from your car's head unit. A high-level signal can be run from the head unit's speaker outputs to the stereo RCA input of the amplifier using a Speaker Wire to RCA adapter (206KiSL, sold separately). The Input Level Switch on the amp should be set to high when using a speaker-level input, and low when using an RCA line-level input.
Line Level Output: The amplifier has a pair of RCA line level outputs for feeding another amplifier. This is the same signal that is present at the amp's inputs. Either input method (speaker-level or RCA) will provide a low-level output signal to the RCA outputs. The amplifier's crossovers have no effect on the line level output signal, however, if you input a filtered signal from the head unit, the amp's low-level output will also be filtered.
Remote Bass: Connect the included wired remote bass control to the RJ-25 port on the amplifier.
The Kicker 40KX400.1 replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?