About the Kicker KMC20
Big boat sound
Big boat sound
You don't need a big receiver to get big sound on your boat. With this two-piece Kicker KMC20 Media Center, you'll get awesome sound, tons of functionality, and the ability to expand your system into a dual-zone powerhouse. This marine-rated system installs neatly, rocks hard, and stands up to wind and water.
The 3-1/2" full-color screen is easy to read, day or night.
Brains and beauty
The KMC20's “black box” processor mounts on any flat surface and connects to the screen with the included 6-foot cable, so you can tuck it away behind the dash or in a cubby. If you need a longer run, you can use the optional 25-foot KMCEXT25 extension cable.
The IPX6 waterproof 3-1/2” LCD color display has day and night modes, so it's always easy to access this system's features. And this media center offers a ton of great features.
Plenty of ways to play
This versatile receiver will stream music from all your Bluetooth devices, complete with onscreen artist, track and title data. A pair of charging USB inputs let you plug in your phone or a thumb drive to enjoy your digital music collection.
Get the latest news and weather from the AM/FM/Weather Band radio. You can also connect a SiriusXM® satellite radio tuner (subscription also required) to enjoy your favorite music, sports, news, and entertainment – great news when you're out of range of your local stations.
And, to coin a phrase, that's not all. Two sets of auxiliary stereo RCA inputs allow you to add other audio devices and choose a name for each. Large, backlit buttons and an easy-to-grab rotary volume control make it easy to operate, even in choppy water.
With a built-in amp that delivers up to 200 watts of peak power, the KMC20 can certainly rock your boat. Right out of the box, you can connect up to eight speakers to this 2-ohm stable system without needing an amp.
Need more power? You'll find a full set of RCA outputs, including a dedicated sub output with level control, so you can add plenty of Kicker amplifier power to your system.
The KMC20 also features dual zone control, so you and your crew can enjoy a variety of sources at different volume levels. You can change the volume on the wakeboard tower speakers, switch radio stations on the deck, or change the source from Bluetooth to satellite radio with just the touch of a button. It's the kind of control every captain craves.
If you need even more control, you can add Kicker's KRC15 digital commander remote, or the PXiRCX remote (sold separately).
Safe and smart
It's easy to forget where all that party power comes from – until you realize you've spent the afternoon draining your boat's battery. The KMC20 monitors the health of your battery, so you'll know you have a low charge before you have no charge at all.
And when you disconnect the Media Center from the battery, you won't lose all your custom settings. The black box has the brains to remember custom source names, favorites and even radio presets.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine digital media receiver (no CD player)
- package with hideaway module and control panel with 3-1/2" screen
- hideaway module includes tuner and 2-ohm stable amplifier (25 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- works with Apple® and Android® smartphones
- Bluetooth® music streaming
- dual source/dual zone control
- 5-band EQ
- AM/FM radio, plus built-in Weather-Band tuner
- wired control panel meets IPX6 splash-proof standards
- highly legible LCD screen with day/night mode
- iPod® /iPhone® direct control via USB input
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: 2 rear USB inputs, 2 rear AUX inputs
Other features and specs:
- compatible with Kicker PXIiRCX & KRC15 wired remote controls
- automatic low voltage sensor
- EPROM memory with two-wire power
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KMC20
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media controller (attached 6' cable)
- Hide-away amplifier/processor (15A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- 2 End-caps (installed on amp/processor)
- Owner's Manual
More details on the Kicker KMC20
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||25 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Display Color||Full color|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
KMC20 Media Center: The Kicker KMC20 Media Center consists of a waterproof wired controller with a a 3.5" LCD screen and a hide-away amplifier/processor. The wired controller features an attached 6' cable which connects to the hide-away amplifier/processor. The Kicker KMCEXT25 (sold separately) is a 25' extension cable for the Kicker KMC20 Media Center, in case the included 6' cable is not long enough.
Note: All of the KMC20's inputs & outputs are located on the hide-away amplifier/processor. Two end-caps conceal the connections for a clean installation.
IPX6 Certified: The included wired controller features IPX6 waterproof certification, so it can hold up in the marine environment and withstand powerful splashes of water out on the ocean or lake. During testing, water is projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100 kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
Note: The hide-away amplifier/processor should be mounted in a location where it will not be exposed to direct splashes from water.
3.5" LCD Screen: The wired remote controller is equipped with a 3.5" LCD screen for source, station, and song/artist information. It also features a 3-way rotary dial and seven push-buttons.
- Day/Night Mode: The Day/Night feature allows you to change the color scheme from Day Mode to Night Mode. The unit is defaulted to auto switch when your boat's lights are turned on. In order for the unit to automatically switch between day and night modes, the orange illumination wire must be connected. You can also set the unit to stay in either Day mode or Night mode by rotating the knob and selecting the desired setting.
- Illumination & Dimmer: The Illumination feature allows you turn On or Off the blue LED border around the screen. The Dimmer allows you to adjust the brightness of the screen, buttons, and LED border. You can adjust the brightness from 0 to +10.
- Backgrounds: The Background feature allows you to choose from 4 different wallpapers for your screen
Non-Volatile Memory: Even if you disconnect the Media Center from the battery, all of your carefully chosen preferences stay intact. Custom source names, favorites and even radio presets are right where (and how) you left them.
Low Battery Alert: The KMC20 preserves your battery power by automatically monitoring the health of your battery's voltage. If the juice gets low, the KMC20 lets you know. If the unit drops below 10.5V, the unit will display a visual and audible alert warning that your batteries need charged.
AM/FM/Weather Radio: The Kicker KMC20 Marine Media Center features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, & preset tuning. It also offers RDS and US or European tuning. It even features a Weather Band alert system.
- Favorites (Presets): The Favorites button will allow you to view and set your favorite stations from the following sources - FM, AM , or WX. 10 total favorites can be set.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- US/European Tuning: You can select between US and European tuning.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kicker KMC20 is SiriusXM Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional SiriusXM features include -
- Favorites: You can save up to 10 of your favorite SiriusXM stations for easier access.
- Song/Artist Information: The unit will display station and song/artist information.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, or other Bluetooth source device to the KMC20 Marine Media Center. The unit offers Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track control, as well as displays song/artist information. You can pair up to 5 Bluetooth source devices with the KMC20, but only one can be used for playback at a time.
Note: This unit does not offer support for Bluetooth hands-free phone communication.
Dual USB Ports: The Kicker KMC20 is fitted with two USB-A ports on the hide-away amplifier/processor. The USB ports allows you to plug in up to two USB mass storage class devices (like a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player) for playback of MP3/WMA (up to 320kbps) music files. The unit offers Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track control, as well as displays song/artist information. If your USB MSC device can be charged via USB, the unit's USB (5V/0.5A) port will charge your device while connected.
Dual Aux Inputs: The Kicker KMC20 is equipped with two stereo RCA Aux inputs located on the hide-away amplifier/processor The stereo RCA aux inputs allow you to connect up to two external audio devices with stereo RCA outputs. If you have a source device that has a 3.5mm output, then you will need a stereo RCA-to-minijack adapter (sold separately).
iPod/iPhone Compatible: The KMC20's USB 1 port can also be used to connect select Apple iPod & iPhone models. Plug in your compatible Lightning or 30-pin iPod/iPhone device using the cable that came with your Apple device or use any "Apple Certified" cable (sold separately). The unit supports playback of your music library and music apps on your Apple iPod/iPhone. The receiver offers Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track control, as well as displays song/artist information & album art. Your iPod/iPhone will also charge while connected to the unit's USB (5V/0.5A) port.
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Optional Panel Mount Input Port: The Rockford Fosgate Punch PAUX (sold separately) is a panel-mounted input port that allows you to have easy access to the KMC20's USB and Auxiliary audio connections. This port is designed to extend these types of connections from the back of the media center to an easily accessible spot on your boat. This helps eliminate unsightly cables and provides a more secure connection for your mobile devices.
Audio Section: The KMC20 is equipped with a built-in 50W (Peak) x 4-channel amplifier (2-ohm rated). It is also outfitted with front & rear preouts to connect an external marine amplifier. Additional audio features include -
- Bass/Treble & Balance/Fader: The unit offers Bass, Mid, & Treble control; as well as Balance & Fader.
- Equalizer: You can activate the system's Equalizer to access 7 EQ presets - Rock, Pop, Vocal, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Custom, & Off. The Custom preset allows you to manually adjust the KMC20's 5-Band Equalizer (64Hz, 250Hz, 1KHz, 4kHz, & 16kHz)
- Zone 2: The Zone 2 features gives you the ability to have a secondary volume control and play two different sources in two different locations on your boat.
Optional Wired Remote: The Kicker KRC15 wired remote controller (sold separately) lets you control the KMC20 from a remote location on your boat. The Kicker KRCEXT25 (sold separately) is a 25' extension cable that is required when installing the Kicker KRC15 marine wired remote control. Use the Kicker KRCY1 Y-Cable (sold separately) in conjunction with two KRCEXT25 extension cables (sold separately) to easily add dual KRC15 remotes to the Kicker KMC20 media center. You can even daisy chain KRCY1 Y-Cables together for multiple KRC15 remote applications; you will need a KRCEXT25 for each remote.
- Waterproof Design: The Kicker KRC15 wired remote controller features a waterproof design so it can hold up to harsh marine environment.
- Two-Line Backlit Display: The Kicker KRC15 is equipped with a two-line backlit display that indicates Source mode, Song/Station information, Volume level, Audio adjustments, and Menu settings.
- Rotary Dial &- Push-Button Controls: The KRC15 employs 3-way rotary dial and six push-buttons for control. The rotary dial can be used for Power on/off, Volume up/down, Audio adjustments. The push-buttons are labeled - Source, Favorites, Return, Play/Pause, Seek Forward, & Seek Backward.
- Mounting Options: The Kicker KRC15 wired remote controller requires a 0.625" (in diameter) mounting hole cut-out for the wired remote's attached 13" cable. The included bracket and mounting hardware secure the remote in place while a self-adhesive rubber gasket seals up the installation. The KRC15 measures 3.875" in diameter x 1.375" deep.
Mounting Options: The wired remote controller mounts to your boat's bulkhead with four screws (not included). A 1.395" (in diameter) cutout opening is required for the attached 6' cable. The included self-adhesive gasket seals up the installation.The hide-way amp/processor mounts with four screws (not included). The amp/processor should be mounted out of sight and away from any exposure to water.
Dimensions: Dimensions for the KMC20's wired controller and hide-way amp/processor.
- Wired Controller: 5.535" (w) x 3.545" (h) x 1.395" (d)
- Hide-Away Amp/Processor: 10.625" (w) x 2.125" (h) x 6.5625" (d)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
6 questions already asked