About the Kicker 44KXA400.4
Powerful, dependable, and good-looking
Powerful, dependable, and good-looking
Kicker's KXA400.4 four-channel amplifier will bring brilliance and clarity to your sound, powering your front and rear speakers with 50 watts RMS each. This reliable and compact KX Series rocker will run cool even when pushed hard, thanks to its high-mass heatsink, high-tech internal components, and efficient full-range Class-D amp technology. Building a big system piece-by-piece? You could start by using this amp in 2-channel mode to drive a couple subs with 200 watts each, and then later switch the amp back to 4-channel in order to power your front and rear speakers when you get a bigger amp for the sub.
Kicker employs their Fail-Safe Integration Technology (FIT2™) to reject noise and stop any interference generated by your car's electronics, so you'll enjoy your music clean and pure. Speaker-level inputs make it possible to hook this amp up to almost any stereo, even a factory system. Kicker also helps you set this amp's gain properly, by offering free test tones for downloading. You play a tone and turn the gain up until the gain knob glows red. Then, you turn it down until it just goes out, and the amp's gain is set perfectly.
Versatile controls behind the folding door
A folding door gives you easy access to your amp's controls. You can tune for almost any kind of speaker, as the steeply-sloped high- and low-pass filters offer a wide range of adjustment. The filter section for the Amp 2 channels can be set up for bandpass operation — where both the high- and low-pass filters are engaged to allow only the frequencies between them to play — for optimizing the signal for midrange speakers in a 3-way system.
KXA400.4 control panel
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- Class D amp technology
- gain knobs also function as clip lights
- variable high- or low-pass filter (10-5000 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- Amp 2:
- variable high-pass filter (10-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter (40-5000 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- bandpass engages both high- and low-pass filters
- variable bass boost (0-18 dB at 40 Hz) on all channels
- front-mounted controls protected behind fold-down door
- Fail-Safe Integration Technology eliminates noise from your vehicle's electrical system
- Radio Detect switch for receivers that need speaker loads on their outputs
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input)
- preamp outputs
- wiring, fuse, and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 100-amp fuse recommended
- dimensions: 11-1/4"W x 2-3/16"H x 8-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years (extends to 3 years when purchased with a Kicker 4-gauge wiring kit
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 44KXA4004
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- 4 Self-tapping screws (length 2")
- 4 Flat washers
- Owner's Manual
- Kicker Certified Power certificate
Kicker 44KXA400.4 reviews
Amazing power and easy to hook up I've used kicker since high school( 35 years) and the last amp and speakers by kicker were still playing loud and proud in my 15 year old Colorado and I expect the same I'm my new silvrerado!!
Pros: Easy to setup!!!! plug it in , set the gain until it glows red and then turn it down till the light goes off and you have perfectly set amp!!! Will outlast any vehicle you install it in!!!
Cons: Only downside is I don't have enough money in the "toy" budget to install 5 more of these ??
0 of 0 found this helpful
One of the best amps I've used. I have it powering my door speakers in my 2011 ram
0 of 0 found this helpful
Got in good time very happy with price an amp
1 of 4 found this helpful
Amazing amp for mids and highs. Matches well with my kicker mids and tweets I also bought the.kxa2400.1 and that matches my.L7 15s perfectly. I recommend these to anyone going to put a kicker system in their car.
Pros: Matches my kicker mids and tweets percectly
Cons: I can't find any
3 of 3 found this helpful
More details on the Kicker 44KXA400.4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
50 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||75 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-5000 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||10-500 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: Kicker KX Series amplifiers combine a small footprint and sleek design with ample power to drive your car's speakers and subwoofers. New technology onboard lets you easily set the gain and maximize the output. KX amplifiers feature FIT2 (Fail-Safe Integration Technology) circuitry to let you connect the amp to virtually any radio.
Power Output: The KXA400.4 is a 4-channel amplifier designed to power up to two pairs of speakers and/or subwoofers in your vehicle. The amplifier provides the following power output:
- 50 watts x 4 RMS at 4Ω stereo (≤1% THD+N, 14.4V)
- 100 watts x 4 RMS at 2Ω stereo (≤1% THD+N, 14.4V)
- 200 watts x 2 RMS at 4Ω bridged mono (≤1% THD+N, 14.4V)
Gain Matching: The Kicker KXA400.4 makes it easy to set the input gain through a procedure called Gain Matching. The goal is to match the output of the source unit to the input level of the amplifier. The amp features self-illuminating gain control knobs for the front and rear channels that indicate when the amplifier is clipping, allowing you to properly set the gain. Kicker recommends setting the gain using test tones for best results.
Controls: The controls for the amplifier are located on the side of the amplifier behind a protective drop-down door. A 4mm Allen wrench is provided for gaining access to the controls. There are separate controls for Amp 1 (front channels) and Amp 2 (rear channels). The controls include:
- Gain Control: The rotary Gain Controls let you match the output of the source unit to the amplifier. When setting the Gain, you should turn the source unit up to about 3/4 of the maximum volume, adjust the gain until the LED on the Gain Control illuminates (or audible distortion can be heard), and then back the gain down slightly.
- Crossovers: The amp has rotary controls for
setting the crossovers for Amp 1 and Amp 2. The crossovers have a
- Amp 1: The Amp 1 crossover can be set to high-pass, low-pass, or full-range (off) operations. The cutoff frequency can be set between 10Hz and 500Hz or between 100Hz and 5000Hz with the 1x/10x range switch set to 10x.
- Amp 2: The Amp 2 crossover can be set to high-pass, low-pass, band-pass, or full-range (off) operations. The high-pass cutoff frequency can be set between 10Hz and 500Hz. The low-pass cutoff frequency can be set between 40Hz and 500Hz or between 400Hz and 5000Hz with the 10x range switch setting.
- KickEQ Bass Boost: The KickEQ Bass Boost features a rotary control to set the level between 0dB and 18dB at a center frequency of 40Hz. Separate KickEQ controls are provided for Amp 1 and Amp 2.
- Fader: You can feed an audio signal to the amplifier with two sets of inputs (front and rear), or with a single stereo input. The Fader button should be set to On for two sets of inputs, and Off to drive all channels with a single input.
- Radio Detect: If you are sending a high-level input signal to the amplifier, but the amp cannot detect it, the Radio Detect feature adds a load resistor to the inputs to tell the source unit that speakers are present. Radio Detect should not be used when using low-level inputs.
Auto Turn-on: The amplifier has three Auto Turn-on modes: +12V, Signal Sense, and DC Offset. The preferred auto turn-on method is to run an 18-gauge wire from the remote turn-on lead of the source unit to the Remote (REM) terminal on the amp. When a +12V signal is detected on the wire, the amplifier will turn on. If your source unit lacks a remote turn-on lead (a factory head unit, for example), you can choose to turn on the amplifier via the signal sense or DC Offset method. When the incoming audio signal from the source unit is detected, the amplifier automatically powers up. When a 3V DC offset is detected on the source unit's speaker outputs, the amplifier automatically turns on. You can select the Auto Turn-on method via a 3-way switch.
Radio Detect: This Kicker amplifier is equipped with a Radio Detect function that works with some factory radio systems. If you have connected Hi-level inputs to the amplifier, but the source unit cannot detect an audio system present, or will not play audio out of one or more speakers, you may need to engage the Radio Detect feature. Pressing in the Radio Detect button activates a load resistor at the amplifier's inputs to help the head unit detect that there are speakers present. The Radio Detect feature should not be used if you are using low-level inputs because the input signal level is greatly reduced.
Connections: The KXA400.4 has set screw terminals for power, ground, and turn-on lead (REM). The power and ground terminals will accept up to 4-gauge wire (4-gauge is recommended), and the turn-on lead will accept up to 8 gauge (18-gauge recommended). The set screws can be loosened/tightened with the supplied 3mm Allen wrench. The speaker outputs are set-screw terminals as well, and capable of accepting up to 8-gauge speaker wire. Three pairs of RCA jacks are provided -- two pairs for the front (Amp 1) and rear (Amp 2) input signals and a third pair for the output signal. The RCA inputs will receive either high or low level signals from your source unit. If you are using a high level signal, you can connect the source unit's speaker wires to optional Kicker KiSL speaker-to-RCA adapters, or splice the speaker wires to a male RCA plug. The RCA outputs can be used to feed the audio signal to another amplifier, if desired.
External Fuse: The amplifier does not include a built-in fuse, therefore an external fuse should be placed on the power wire, within 18" of the battery. It is recommended that a 4-gauge amplifier wiring kit and a 100A external fuse be used when installing the amplifier.
Note: Kicker will extend the standard warranty by an additional year (for a total of three years) when a qualifying Kicker Installation Kit is purchased with the amplifier.
Certified Power: Each amplifier is tested when it comes off of the assembly line. Tests are run for Total Harmonic Distortion, Signal-to-Noise Ratio, Protection Circuit, and Total Power Output. A Certified Power certificate with model and serial number is included with each amp with the measured power output figure, and a pass/fail grade for the other tests.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked