About the Kicker 42PXA5001
The wonder amp
The wonder amp
Yes, ladies and gents, the Kicker's 42PXA500.1 mono amplifier is a 500-watt powerhouse that's no bigger than a brick. That's right, it's astonishingly small, which means you can get creative and stash it in nearly any nook or cranny in your car. And at that size, we bet you could find a place for it on your ATV or boat too. Kicker designed this mono amp for you open-air easy riders, with a weather-resistant enclosure, no-rust mounting hardware, a single Molex plug for all wiring, noise-killing circuitry, and plenty of power to combat wind and road noise.
Feel the bass
The amp delivers up to 500 watts RMS to a low-impedance load, so you'll have all the power you need to make the right sub thump. Kicker also gives you a low-pass filter, subsonic filter and selectable KickEQ™ Bass Boost to dial in the low frequencies to your liking.
- mono subwoofer amplifier (selectable to work in any vehicle with a 12-volt charging system)
- 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- frequency response: 25-120 Hz
- switchable low-pass filter (60, 80, 100 or 120Hz at 24 dB/octave)
- KickEQ Bass Boost (selectable 0dB or +6dB, centered at 40Hz)
- fixed subsonic filter (25 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- preamp and speaker-level inputs as well as two auto turn-on modes (DC offset or 12-volt trigger)
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- fuse rating: 40A x 1
- 8-1/4"W x 1-9/16"H x 3-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 42PXA5001
What's in the box:
- Mono amplifier
- 12" Input harness (4-pin Molex plug on one end and 2 female RCAs on other end)
- 7" Speaker output/remote turn-on harness (6-pin Molex plug)
- In-line MAXI fuse holder on 8-gauge wire
- 40A MAXI blade fuse (installed)
- Power and ground terminal adapter
- Four 1" Self-tapping screws
- Two 11-7/8" plastic wire ties
- Owner's Manual (Eng/Span/Ger/Fren)
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Kicker 42PXA5001 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kicker 42PXA5001
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
250 x 1 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||500 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||25-120 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||95 dB|
|Amplifier Class||Not Given|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||60, 80, 100, 120Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0, +6 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness (cut RCAs)|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: PXA series amplifiers are designed for motorized vehicles with small battery/charging systems; Kicker's new Direct Amp Technology uses the vehicle's charging system as its power supply, offering 90-percent efficiency. Little ventilation is required and with its small footprint, the PXA500.1 can be installed in motorcycle saddle bags or fairings, glove compartments, or other small spaces.
Power Output: The PXA500.1 is a mono amplifier designed to output 250 watts RMS at 4Ω (<1% THD+N) and 500 watts RMS at 2Ω (< 1% THD+N).
Controls: The controls for the amplifier include a rotary gain control and five DIP switches. The DIP switches, located on the bottom of the amp under a rubber cover, can select the following:
- Low Pass Crossover: 60Hz, 80Hz, 100 Hz, or 120 Hz; low pass crossover cannot be bypassed
- Bass Boost: On/Off; +6 dB boost centered at 40 Hz
- Input Level: select high (speaker level) or low (line level)
- Auto Turn-on: select 12V (amp turns on when +12 volts is applied to the remote wire in the harness) or DC (amp turns on when a 6 volt surge is detected from a speaker level source)
Input Signal: The PXA500.1 is capable of receiving either high- or low-level input signals, and you can select the input type on the bottom of the amp (DIP Switch #4). An input harness with stereo female RCA jacks is included. If you are using a speaker-level source, simply cut the RCA plugs off of the harness and splice the head unit's speaker wires onto the harness. If you prefer not cutting the RCA plugs off, use the Kicker KiSL speaker level to RCA adapter. The Input Sensitivity is 250mV-10.0V (High Level), while the Low Level Input Sensitivity is 125mV-5.0V.
Differential Audio: The differential audio circuit reduces the likelihood of picking up any engine noise, and helps lower THD (Total Harmonic Distortion).
Weather Resistant: The PXA Amps are weather-resistant, using a conformal-coated circuit board for protection against the elements. They also include no-rust stainless-steel mounting hardware.
Power Wiring: The amp comes with a power and ground terminal adapter that will accept up to 8-gauge wire. Power and ground wire (8-gauge is recommended) can be inserted into the adapter and tightened with a flat or Phillips head screwdriver. The adapter then plugs directly into the amplifier. An in-line fuse holder with a 40A MAXI fuse is included with the amp. No other power or ground wiring is included.
Speaker Output/Turn-on Lead: The speaker output wires and the amp turn-on lead are located on the same plug-in harness. Two pairs of 16-gauge wire are soldered together to form a single positive and a single negative speaker output. The blue turn-on lead should be connected to the amp remote wire on the aftermarket head unit's harness. If you are connecting the amp to a head unit via the speaker-level input, it is not necessary to connect the turn-on lead, as the amplifier with turn itself on when the amp detects a 6V DC signal on the input. You will need to select the proper Auto Turn-On on DIP switch #5 on the bottom of the amp.
Optional CXARC Remote: You can control the output level of the amplifier remotely with the optional CXARC Remote Bass Control. The remote plugs into the 3.5mm mini jack on the end of the amplifier. The CXARC comes with a 19.5' cable that allows you to locate the controls near the driver's location.
Subsonic Filter: The PXA500.1 includes a 24 dB/octave subsonic filter, fixed at 25 Hz. This filter eliminates power-robbing, extremely-low frequencies that most speakers cannot reproduce.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked