About the XM Commander
The XM Commander is another great way to get XM Radio in any car with an FM stereo. This affordable package has everything you need: a tuner box with FM modulator, dash-mountable display/controller, and XM's unobtrusive, roof-mount micro-antenna. The compact display is ideal for vehicles with limited dash space, yet it boasts an easy-to-read, 2-line, 32-character display.
The tuner box is much smaller than most tuners, so it'll fit under your seat easily. The tuner's built-in FM modulator reduces the number of boxes you need to install by one (or you can plug the tuner into your receiver's auxiliary input, if it has one). The rotary controller and wireless remote help you channel surf. And TuneSelect alerts you when any of 15 songs you've saved is playing. A subscription to XM is also required.
Antenna adapters might be required if you haven't already done so, please enter your vehicle information.
- includes display/controller, remote control, micro-antenna, hideaway XM tuner box, and mounting accessories
- works with any FM radio
- RCA line outputs connect to any radio with auxiliary inputs
- low profile micro-antenna
- display/controller has 2-line display (16 characters per line) and rotary control
- direct channel access
- TuneSelect (tags up to 15 songs and alerts you when they are playing on XM)
- 30 XM presets
- channel preview
- wireless remote control
- display/controller: 4-9/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 1"D
- receiver: 4-1/2"W x 1-5/16"H x 4-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XMRVRFM001
What's in the box:
- Controller Unit with attached 10' cable
- Cradle for controller unit
- 13' Controller cable extension
- XM Satellite Radio receiver
- Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Metal remote mounting clip
- XM Antenna with magnetic base and an attached 20' micro-cable with a single FAKRA connector
- Relay assembly with 17" male antenna cable and 19.25' cable with right-angle 3.5mm mini-plug
- Power/Ground harness (with 19.5' constant and switched power leads/3' ground lead/In-line 2A fuse on constant power wire)
- Surface Preparation Cleaning Kit
- Four 3" cable ties
- Alcohol prep pad
- 2 Self-adhesive Velcro pads (1" x 1")
- Two 2-sided self-adhesive pads (1" x 1")
- User Manual
- Installation Guide
- "Suitable for behind-dash installation" sheet
- XM Channel Guide
XM Commander reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the XM Commander
Features & specs
|Built-in FM Transmitter||Yes|
Car Antenna |
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The XM Commander, distributed by Terk, contains everything you need to receive XM Satellite Radio in your vehicle. The package contains an XM Satellite Radio receiver, wired controller/display, wireless remote, a micro antenna, and all the cables. In addition to the XM Commander package, a subscription to XM Satellite Radio is required in order to receive XM programming.
XM Satellite Radio: XM Satellite Radio features up to 100 channels of programming, including 70 digital-quality music channels and 30 channels of news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
Controller/Display: The wired controller/display features a 2-line, 2-3/8" x 7/8" LCD display, a large tuning wheel and "enter" button, and 10 number keys. It fits into the supplied flush-mount cradle for a custom installation. The controller/display has a 10' cable, plus a 13' extension cable to allow you to mount the controller/display in the front and the receiver in the back of the vehicle. The display features a pale blue backlight and button illumination. The LCD's contrast can be adjusted for best viewing.
Remote Control: The supplied wireless remote control lets you control the XM Commander from anywhere in the vehicle. Nearly all of the functions accessible from the face of the controller/display can be accessed from the remote. In addition, the remote has the exclusive Jump and Scan features. The remote comes with a metal clip and infrared emitters on both ends to allow you to mount the remote in a permanent location, if desired.
Display Options: The XM Commander's controller/display gives you three options for displaying channel information. Using the controls on the controller/display or the remote control, you can toggle through the following display options:
- Channel name, channel number, and artist name
- Channel name, channel number, and song title
- Artist name and song title
Tuning Options: There are several options for selecting channels on the XM Commander:
- Direct Tuning: You can select a channel by number by entering the channel number using the number keys on the unit or remote.
- Preset Tuning: The XM Commander can store up to 30 preset channels in 3 different memory banks (Preset A, Preset B, and Preset C). Once a preset bank has been selected, you can enter the preset number 1-10 from the number keys on the unit or remote.
- Tuning Wheel: You can tune channels in sequence by rotating the controller/display's tuning wheel.
- Remote Control: You can tune channels in sequence using the up/down buttons on the remote control.
- Category Tuning: The two Category Tuning buttons on the remote control allows you to cycle through the available genres of programming, such as Decades, Country, Hits, Christian, Rock, Urban, Jazz & Blues, Dance, Latin, World, Classical, Kids, News, Sports, Comedy, Talk & Variety, and Premium. Once the category has been selected, you can choose the channel from that category using the up/down buttons.
TuneSelect: TuneSelect is an XM feature which allows you to "tag" up to 15 songs you like and have the XM Commander alert you when any of those songs is playing on a different channel.
Preview: In many cases, you can preview what artist and song is playing on other channels without changing channels. When a desired song or artist appears, you can select that channel to play.
Jump: The Jump feature (activated by the remote) lets you immediately revert back to last channel selected. Pressing the Jump button returns you to the original channel played prior to initiating the jump process. With this feature, you can cycle back and forth between two channels.
Scan: The Scan feature (activated by the remote) allows you to automatically and sequentially cycle through presets in the active bank, channels in the active category, or all channels until the desired channel is found. Each channel plays audio for 5 seconds, after which the radio tunes to the next channel in the scanning order.
Save/Recall: You can save the artist's name, song title, channel name and channel number on the current channel for future reference. Up to 15 different items can be saved at once, after which any new information that is saved will replace the oldest information in memory.
Audio Output: You can adjust the audio output level to match the XM Commander's output to the other sources in your vehicle's sound system.
Hideaway Receiver: The XM Commander's hideaway receiver has a built-in FM modulator with 6 FM frequencies to choose from. The modulator enables XM reception in any vehicle with an FM radio. In addition, the hideaway receiver also has stereo line outputs (with female RCA jacks) for use with receivers with auxiliary inputs. Constant power, switched power, and ground connections are included.
XM Micro Antenna: The supplied low-profile XM Radio antenna features a strong magnetic mount. The antenna must be installed in a flat portion of a metal vehicle roof with at least 12" x 12" of surface area and a minimum of 6" from a window or sunroof. The antenna has a single-wire antenna cable with a single FAKRA-type connector.
- Controller/Display: W=4.532", H=1.764", D=1.0"
- Overall: W=5.814", H=2.239", D=0.549" (1.083" including mounted controller/display)
- Cutout (for flush mount): W=4.689", H=1.933", D=0.385"
- Hideaway Receiver: W=4.464", H=1.273", D=4.35" (5.115" including mounting tabs)
- Antenna: W=1.765", H=0.651", D=2.33"
- Remote Control: W=1.561", H=0.866", L=4.254"