About the Morel MPS 5.950
Morel built this MPS 5.950 amplifier so their high-performing speakers and subwoofers would have an amp worthy enough to power them, delivering high-fidelity musical reproduction along with pure, clean power. The MPS 5.950 can send 70 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers plus 550 watts RMS to a sub, powering a full system from its 18-5/16" long chassis. You can also set this amplifier to 3-channel mode and power a couple of high-performance speakers with 200 watts RMS each, while sending a sub 550 watts.
Morel made sure that every detail of this amplifier's design would result in lower noise and higher sound quality. The front and rear channel's Class AB architecture achieves the cleanest signal with the least distortion. The sub channel's Class D design puts out clean signal with very little noise. Balanced differential inputs reject interference. An onboard microprocessor controls the thermal management system, keeping the amp running cool and steady no matter how hard it's driven. All the connections are on one side of the amp to keep wiring neat, organized, and simple for the installer.
Tone controls for every occasion
The high-pass, low-pass, subsonic filter, bass boost, and gain controls sit protected under a top panel. Their intuitive operations and functions make it easy to match the amp's output to your speakers and sub — and achieve great sound. This amplifier's modest exterior shelters high-quality electronic components that guarantee an accurate and musical performance.
- 5-channel car amplifier
- 70 watts RMS x 4 + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 4 + 550 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 550 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- Class AB design on front and rear channels, Class D on sub channel
- 100 dB signal-to-noise ratio, 0.05% distortion on front and rear channels, 0.15% distortion on sub channel
- variable high- and low-pass filters (40-400 Hz, 12 dB/octave) on front and rear channels
- variable low-pass filter (40-220 Hz, 12 dB/octave) on sub channel
- variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 45 Hz) on sub channel
- switchable subsonic filter (off, 25, 35 Hz) on sub channel
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- speaker-level inputs require speaker wire to RCA adapters
- speaker-level inputs feature DC offset or signal sensing turn-on
- optional MPS-R1 wired remote bass level control available soon
- wiring, fuse, and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground wires and an 80-amp fuse recommended
- 19-1/4"W (including flange) x 2-1/8"H x 6-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 803159-100
What's in the box:
- 5-Channel amplifier
- Four 5/8" Screws
- Two M4x4mm Machine screws (top panel replacement screws)
- 2mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 4mm Allen wrench
- Owner's manual
Morel MPS 5.950 reviews
not satisfied,no overall power to the amp,and the subwoofer portion is very weak for a 550 watt rating,i will be returning this and putting the money from the return towards another 5 channel amp,probably a jl or alpine,i will say for someone who is looking for a basic upgrade from a stock system it can work...
Cons: weak overall power,and sub portion
1 of 6 found this helpful
Replacing a classic Soundstream Reference 405 that finally died. I haven't been in the audiophile car market for a while and didn't want to break the bank on some esoteric stuff. I wanted a bit more power to drive a Dynaudio 360 3-way system and another classic ADS 10" sub - both are power hungry. I trusted Crutchfield's great return policy and gave this Morel a shot- honestly for the price I wasn't expecting greatness but so far it's opened up the speakers dramatically and still sounds smooth and musical. The SS was a tough act to follow but I don't see another amp being this good for the money. Very satisfied customer!
Pros: Solid build quality, attractive case Plenty of power (running bridged 3 channel) Very nice sound, musical, engaging. Great value for money.
Cons: How to use the amp properly in bridged mode isn't explained very well in the manual.
4 of 4 found this helpful
I wanted a/b power for my front (Focal 165krx2) and 500w for JLAudio 10w6. The Morel 5.950 had the right specs. but no reviews. Markers of some audiophile speakers I assume the amp would have to hold it's own. My other choice was the Audison 5.1k. The price difference was 3x. This is not a weak link in my system at all. Running an Audison bit10 with drc and driving a JLAudio 10w6v3d4 this system seems to play every genre of music very well.
Pros: 3 or 5 channel. A/B quality with D for sub. Hard to beat at this price pt.
Cons: Not anything. Maybe 19" width in some applications.
2 of 2 found this helpful
More details on the Morel MPS 5.950
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
70 x 4 |
350 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-30k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.05%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-220 Hz (sub)|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-400 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
5-Channel Design: The amplifier is made up of three sections, two full range stereo amps (labeled Group A and Group B) and a mono subwoofer amp. The full range amps are Class-AB and the subwoofer amp is Class-D. The front and rear amps are independently bridgeable, meaning the amp can be used as a 5-channel, 4-channel, or 3-channel amp. The minimum impedance is 2Ω (4Ω when the full range sections are bridged).
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The MPS 5.950 features differential-balanced inputs to control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage difference between the input terminal and ground, and reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical car audio installation.
Note: You will need Morel's MPS-HL speaker to RCA adapter (sold separately) if connecting the amplifier to the source unit's speaker level outputs.
Control Panel Cover: Most controls are under a removable part of the top panel, ensuring the amplifier's settings are not accidentally adjusted. The cover is installed at the factory, and must be temporarily removed to access the amplifier's controls. The security cover screws can be removed with the included 2.5mm Allen wrench.
- Input Level: the three amp sections have independent input level controls; labeled min/max, the voltage range depends on how the input voltage (high/low) is set
- Subsonic: the subwoofer channel has a three position subsonic filter switch; Off, 25 Hz, 35 Hz
- Filter Mode: each full range section has a three position filter mode switch; Low Pass, Full Range, High Pass
- Filter Frequency: each amplifier section has a filter
frequency (crossover point) dial
- Full Range Channels: 40 Hz to 400 Hz (low pass or high pass)
- Subwoofer Channel: 40 Hz to 220 Hz (low pass only, the crossover in the subwoofer section cannot be bypassed)
- Bass Boost: centered at 45 Hz, the bass boost circuit is adjustable from 0 to +12 dB
- Turn On Mode: three position switch to set how the amp is turned on; Remote (+12 volts), Signal (senses an input signal voltage), Offset (reads a DC offset in the input signal, typically only used when "Remote" isn't an option and the "Signal" setting doesn't work reliably)
- Input Voltage:
- Low: 200mV-5V; typically used with line level outputs from an aftermarket source
- High: 400mV-10V (full range)/800mV-20V (subwoofer); typically used with speaker level outputs
- Full Range Input Mode: 2-channel (inputs to Group A left and right supply both full range amplifiers)/4-channel (inputs to Group A supply one full range amplifier, inputs to Group B supply the other)
- Subwoofer Input Mode: 4-channel (subwoofer amp uses signal from the full range inputs)/Sub (subwoofer amp uses the dedicated sub input)
- Signal Inputs: the amplifier has three sets of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs; Group A (full range, left/right), Group B (full range, left/right), Subwoofer (left/right)
- Subwoofer Outputs: two pair of set screw terminals; accept up to 10-gauge wire; internally wired in parallel, to easily connect two subwoofers to the single channel amp
- Full Range Outputs: four pair of set screw terminals; accept up to 10-gauge wire
- Remote Level Control: 3.5mm jack for use with an optional MPS-R1 wired remote (sold separately)
- Remote Turn-On: set screw terminal; accepts up to 10-gauge wire
- Power and Ground: set screw terminals; accept up to 4-gauge wire; 4-gauge recommended by Morel
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 80-amp fuse must be installed on the power wire near the battery. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 80 amps, the original should be replaced with a 80-amp fuse.
- Power Output (measured at 14 volts):
- Full Range Channels:
- 4Ω: 70 watts RMS x 4-channels
- 2Ω: 100 watts RMS x 4-channels
- Bridged: 200 watts RMS x 2-channels (into 4Ω)
- Subwoofer Channel:
- 4Ω: 350 watts RMS x 1-channel
- 2Ω: 550 watts RMS x 1-channel
- Full Range Channels:
- Full Range Channels: 0.05%
- Subwoofer Channel: 0.15%
- Frequency Response:
- Full Range Channels: 10 Hz to 30 kHz
- Subwoofer Channel: 10 Hz to 220 Hz
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power)
- Channel Separation: 64 dB
- Damping Factor:
- Full Range Channels: >100
- Subwoofer Channel: >150
- Input Voltage:
- Full Range Channels: 200mV to 10V
- Subwoofer Channel: 200mV to 20V
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked