About the Wāvtech link8
Provides a strong clean signal
Provides a strong clean signal
Your aftermarket processors and amplifiers need clean and robust line-level input signals, especially when getting them from a factory amplifier's speaker outputs. Wāvtech's link8 line output converter can produce up to 10 volts of output per channel — plenty enough for your aftermarket gear to work with.
8-channel summing processor
The link8's eight channels can get routed into a number of different configurations. Two input channels can be routed to eight outputs, for example. Or, eight inputs could get summed together in pairs and routed through four outputs. The link8 will work great in a factory system with separately powered front tweeters, front midrange drivers, rear full-range speakers, with two channels available for a subwoofer amp's input.
Multi-function remote and auxiliary input
An auxiliary input lets you conveniently plug in your phone or player to become a music source. The remote lets you select sources as well as control the master volume, the Aux level, and the independent channels 7/8, usually used for subs.
Works with factory amps
Those speaker-level inputs can handle up to 40 volts, the equivalent of 400 watts, so you can use one in a premium system with a factory amplifier and still retain all your vehicle's factory audio options and warnings. The link8's gain controls and clip lights help you keep the signal level under control and distortion-free.
- active 8-channel line output converter and summing processor
- designed to work with multi-channel factory systems
- wired remote and a 16.4-foot cable included
- multi-function remote controls master volume, Aux volume, Ch7/8 volume, and source selection
- provides up to 10Vrms output per channel
- 3.5mm Aux and speaker-level inputs
- selectable speaker-level input sensitivity (20V or 40V) via internal jumper
- auto turn-on via DC offset or audio detect
- gain controls and clip lights
- select for 2, 4, 6, or 8 input channels
- 2-, 3-, or 4-way signal summing with subwoofer signal pass-through
- 12-volt turn-on lead output
- speaker-level inputs feature load resistance to prevent factory stereo shut-down
- optional plug-in parallel load resistors available for vehicles like some newer Chrysler vehicles that need less resistance for the factory stereo's load-sensing to work
- wiring, fuse, and hardware not included with device
- 18-gauge power and ground leads and a 1-amp fuse recommended
- processor (not including terminals and jacks): 7-1/2"W x 1-1/4"H x 5-7/8"D
- remote: 1-1/2"W x 1-1/8"H x 1-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LINK8
What's in the box:
- 8-Channel line output converter
- 5 Phoenix terminals (installed)
- Multi-Function wired remote
- 5 meter RJ-45 remote cable
- 4 Mounting tabs (installed)
- Two ½" Screws
- Ground ring terminal
- Owner's manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Wāvtech link8
Overview: The link8 is an active 8-channel line output converter designed for adding aftermarket amplifiers to a factory radio.
Speaker Input: The four pair of speaker level inputs are compatible with most factory stereo systems. They will accommodate up 40 volts RMS per channel (equivalent to 400 watts at 4Ω). The balanced-differential input design minimizes the possibility of having noise induced into the signal.
Channel Summing: The link8 has the ability to sum up to four pair of input channels from the factory source unit into one pair of outputs. This is useful when the factory system has multiple, actively crossed-over signals sent from the source unit or amplifier(s). For example, in some vehicles there is an actively crossed-over tweeter, midrange, and woofer all in the front of the vehicle. The link8 lets you take all of those signals and sum them together to get a high-quality, full-range, preamp signal without the use of any additional cables or hardware.
Load Detect Compatible: The inputs are loaded to simulate the factory system seeing a speaker. The "speaker" load can be removed if needed. If a lower impedance is needed, the linkLD external parallel load can be added to the link8 inputs.
Auxiliary Input: There is a 3.5mm auxiliary input jack on the unit so you can easily add an iPod, satellite radio, or other secondary source.
Output Level: The 10 volt RMS maximum allows you to adjust output voltage to the top of your amp's input range. Each of the four pair of RCA outputs has its own level adjustment. There is also an output level control for the auxiliary input, so it matches the level of the speaker level inputs.
Clip Indicator: Onboard LEDs indicate when the output signal is too high and is clipping, making it easy to maximize the output levels without distortion.
Auto Turn-on: The speaker level inputs have a DC-offset circuit, and both the speaker level inputs and aux input have a signal sensing circuit. The link8 turns on when there's an input signal and turns off when the signal disappears. There is also a +12 volt remote turn-on input and the auto turn-on circuits can be disabled.
Remote: The included multi-function wired remote is designed to be dash mounted, within reach of the driver; the housing can be mounted under the dash, or the housing can be removed and the knob and LED can be custom mounted through the dash. The functions of the rotary/push-button knob vary depending on how the two dip switches are set:
- Type 1 (factory setting): volume of channel 7/8 output
- Type 2: volume of channel 7/8 output, aux input level, input select (speaker level or aux)
- Type 3: aux input level, volume of channel 7/8 output
- Type 4: master volume (all outputs), volume of channel 7/8 output, input select (speaker level or aux)
- Width: 1½" (2⅜" including mounting tabs)
- Height: 1⅛"
- Depth: 1¾" (3" including knob and wire)
Ground Isolation: The internal audio signal ground is switchable, in case of ground loop noise. The factory position is chassis ground (typically the best choice), but can be changed to 200Ω or ISO (isolated).
Terminal Blocks: The power/ground/remote-in/remote-out terminal and the speaker level inputs are removable Phoenix terminals (Euroblock). The wiring is attached to the block, then the block is plugged into the link8. The terminal blocks will accommodate wire up to 16-gauge.
- Power: removable 4-pin Phoenix terminal
- Ground: minimum 18-gauge wire recommended
- +12 volts: minimum 18-gauge wire recommended with a 1-amp fuse (not included)
- Remote In: unit turns on when +12 volts applied to this terminal
- Remote Out: +12 volt output when unit is on (used to turn on amp, 500 mA max)
- Speaker Level Inputs: four separate removable 4-pin Phoenix terminals; for channels 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8
- Aux Input: 3.5mm mini-jack
- Line Outputs: RCA jacks for channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Remote: RJ-45 jack for included wired remote control
- Gain: rotary dials; each pair of channels has an independent gain control, as does the aux input
- Channel 3/4 Input: 3-position switch
- CH 1/2: copies the signal and gain setting from channels 1 and 2
- CH 3/4: takes signal directly from the CH 3/4 input
- CH 1+3/CH 2+4: combines the signals from the channel 1/2 and channel 3/4 inputs
- Channel 5/6 Input:
- CH 3/4: copies the signal and gain setting from channels 3 and 4
- CH 5/6: takes signal directly from the CH 5/6 input
- CH 3+5/CH 4+6: combines the signals from the channel 3/4 and channel 5/6 inputs (and 1/2 if the channel 3/4 input switch is in the same position)
- Channel 7/8 Input:
- CH 5/6: copies the signal and gain setting from channels 5 and 6
- CH 7/8: takes signal directly from the CH 7/8 input
- CH 5+7/CH 6+8: combines the signals from the channel 5/6 and channel 7/8 inputs (and 1/2 and 3/4 if the channel 3/4 and 5/6 input switches are in the same position)
- Channel 1/2 Output: 2-position switch
- CH 1/2: outputs signal from the CH 1/2 input
- CH 7/8: outputs the same signal as channels 7 and 8; useful if all channels are summed to create a full range output
- Ground Reference: three jumper positions; ground (factory setting), ISO, or 200Ω
Hidden Controls: There are several jumper pins inside the link8 chassis, to make adjustments that are not typically necessary:
- Speaker Level Input Sensitivity Range: The 2-position jumpers are set to 2-20 volts RMS (factory setting) or 4-40 volts RMS. (There is a separate jumper for each channel.)
- Load: The speaker load impedance can be removed from the speaker level inputs. The factory setting is 180Ω; if the jumper is removed, the input impedance increases to 20 kΩ. (There is a separate jumper for each channel.)
- Aux Input: The 2-position jumper is set to Balanced (factory setting) or Unbalanced.
- Auto Turn-on: The DC-offset and audio signal sensing circuits can be independently turned off. The factory setting for both is on. When either jumper is removed, that circuit is disabled.
- Frequency response:
- +0/-1 dB: 10 Hz-70 kHz
- +0/-3 dB: 5 Hz-100 kHz
- Input Impedance:
- Speaker input: 180 Ω/20 kΩ
- Aux input: 50 kΩ
- Speaker Input Sensitivity: 2-40 volts RMS
- Aux Input Sensitivity: 0.5-5 volts RMS
- Output Impedance: 50 Ω
- Maximum Output Voltage: 10 volts RMS
- THD+N: 0.05% (at 10 volts output)
- Speaker Level Input:
- 1 volt output: 94 dBA
- 4 volt output: 106 dBA
- 10 volt output: 114 dBA
- Aux Input:
- 1 volt output: 93 dBA
- 4 volt output: 105 dBA
- 10 volt output: 113 dBA
- Speaker Level Input:
- Current Draw:
- Operating: 320mA
- Standby: 2mA
- Width: 7½" (8" including cables)
- Height: 1¼"
- Depth: 5⅞"