About the Cleer Crescent
Fantastic sound for every occasion
Fantastic sound for every occasion
The Cleer Crescent smart speaker delivers exceptional sound that you can easily tailor for to a wide variety of sources. Top-mounted control buttons let you select from three sound modes: Stereo Widening for two-channel stereo music, 3D for virtual surround sound with movies and videos, and Room Fill for an ultra-wide soundfield you can move around in.
Made for a variety of sources
The Crescent works great as a stand-alone wireless speaker. You can stream music to it from your smartphone via Bluetooth, or get your Wi-Fi network into the act for more options. For instance, just tell it to play something. The speaker has Google Assistant built-in, so you can enjoy music from Spotify® Google Play Music, TuneIn, and other services. And you can control them all with your voice.
The speaker has a 3.5mm stereo input for portable players and an Ethernet port for a wired connection to your home network. Plus it has a Toslink optical digital audio input for connecting a compatible CD player, Blu-ray player, or even a TV.
My listening impressions
The Cleer Crescent is one gorgeous speaker, and I appreciated the way it looked. But it came home with me not to look pretty, but to help me enjoy my music. And it succeeded — greatly.
I already had a Google smart speaker, so adding this Cleer speaker to my Google Home app was finished in about a minute. It did a great job understanding my voice commands, and soon I was having a personal music party.
What impressed me the most about the Crescent was how distinctively different the three sound modes were. The Stereo Widening function really did deliver noticeable stereo separation. It was great for what I consider music for serious listening, like Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. Sure, it was a digital file of an analog original, but there was plenty of detail and warmth in what I heard.
The 3D setting I found best for use with my TV. No, it wasn't true surround sound. But I had a definite sense of space. Sound effects, like the ambient sounds in “Cloverfield” moved with the camera's point of view and increased the feeling of being in the center of the chaos.
Here at Crutchfield we're a little shy about saying a speaker has “room-filling” sound. But the Crescent's Room Fill setting was aptly named. It created a very wide and spacious soundfield. As I moved around in our large living area, the sound remained balanced and full.
Inside the Cleer Crescent is an array of eight 1-1/2" full-range drivers, and dual rear-firing 3-1/4" woofers for strong, clean lows.
The cabinet features a geometrically vaulted shape and glass-reinforced substructure. These virtually eliminate unwanted resonance, resulting in cleaner, more accurate sound.
And the speaker is just as easy on the eyes as it is the ears. The handcrafted stainless steel speaker grille attaches to a machined aluminum surface for a seamless and beautiful look.
Compatible with Apple AirPlay 2
Built-in Apple AirPlay 2 technology lets you stream audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix® movies.
If you subscribe to Apple Music®, you can do even more. Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV 4K to control Apple Music with voice commands. Tell Siri what selection or playlist to play.
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- plays FLAC, WAV, AAC, MP3, and Apple Lossless audio files
- Bluetooth 4.2 for streaming from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- 3 selectable audio modes:
- Stereo Widening for 2-channel stereo music
- 3D for virtual surround sound from movies and video
- Room Fill for an ultra-wide soundfield
Google Assistant built-in:
- easy setup and control via the Google Home App
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- stream from compatible services such as Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora®, Google Play Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio (subscription required for some services)
- control multi-room playback with two or more Google Chromecast built-in wireless speaker
- voice commands for play, pause, skip and volume control
- stay in the know about weather, traffic, finance, sports, and more
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- create a multi-room audio system with other Google Chromecast built-in wireless speakers and components
- eight 1-1/2" full-range drivers and two 3-1/4" bass drivers
- 114 watts RMS total system power (8 x 8 watts + 2 x 25 watts)
- top-mounted illuminated control buttons
- 3.5mm analog stereo minijack input for connecting a wide range of sources
- Toslink optical digital audio input for connecting a compatible CD player, Blu-ray player, or TV (2-channel PCM only)
- Ethernet port
- stainless steel speaker grille
- 26-1/16"W x 4-13/16"H x 7-15/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CRESCENT1WFCMEUS
What's in the box:
- Wireless audio speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- 5' AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide/User Manual/Warranty Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cleer Crescent
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5 GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||---|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||1.5|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||3.25|
|Woofer Type||Not given|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||114|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Frequency Response||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||96 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Multi-Driver Array Speaker System: The Crescent wireless powered speaker utilizes a multi-driver array of eight custom 1.5" full-range drivers and dual 3.25" low-frequency woofers for a dynamic listening experience. All ten drivers are powered by a built-in 114 watt amplifier with 8 watts delivered to each full-range driver and 25 watts delivered to each woofer. A glass reinforced substructure with a geometrically vaulted design, plus a machined aluminum control interface and a handcrafted stainless steel speaker grille help to eliminate unwanted sonic resonance.
Advanced Beamforming Technology with Intelligent Sound Modes: The Crescent's advanced beamforming technology allows for ?exible placement and listening positions, giving you a realistic acoustic experience from a compact wireless powered speaker. You'll experience an expansive soundstage typically reserved for larger, more expensive audio products. You can choose from 3 Sound Modes - Stereo Widening, 3D Audio, and Room Filling.
- Stereo Widening: Experience a well-de?ned, wide stereo soundstage that expands well beyond the physical speaker's placement.
- 3D Audio: Unlike many other all-in-one systems, the Crescent can surround the listener in three-dimensional, high de?nition audio regardless of wall locations or reected acoustics.
- Room Filling: For occasions with multiple listeners, Cleer created an ultra-wide sweet spot that engages listeners equally in every corner of the room.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Cleer Crescent can be connected to your home network via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection. There is a RJ-45 Ethernet port (10/100Mbps) on the back of the speaker which allows for a hardwired connection. Built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac) allows the Crescent to connect wirelessly to your home network. This network connection allows support for Google Assistant, Chromecast built-in, Apple AirPlay 2 with Siri, and Spotify Connect.
Google Assistant: The Cleer Crescent features two integrated microphones and comes with the Google Assistant built-in. You can activate the built-in Google Assistant by saying "Hey Google" or "Ok Google". You can ask the built-in Google Assistant to play your favorite music, hear news and weather reports, get the answer to a question, manage everyday tasks, and easily control smart devices around your home by using just your voice.
- Music, Podcasts, & Audiobooks: Use the Google Assistant to access and play play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio station. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio (subscription fees may apply). You can also listen to your favorite podcasts from anywhere in your home, using only your voice. You can also listen to audiobooks from Google Play Books on the Crescent speaker.
- News, Weather & Sports: Get the latest news and weather from sources you trust with the built-in Google Assistant. You can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. You can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games using your voice.
- Manage Tasks & Plan Your Day: Use the Google Assistant to plan and start your day off right. Wake up to hear and view the information you need without going online or opening your calendar. Also, set alarms and timers for things you need to do.
- Smart Home Automation: You'll be able to control compatible smart devices around your home via the built-in Google Assistant. Google Assistant compatible smart home automation partners include Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Belkin Wemo, Nest, Honeywell, and more. You can even create your own voice commands for the Google Assistant on your Apple iOS or Android device using IFTTT (If This, Then That).
- Answers & Games: The built-in Google Assistant helps you find answers for many of your daily questions through the Google search engine - including calculations, translations, unit conversions, nutrition, dictionary, finances, facts, and more. You can even lighten up your day or test your trivia smarts with jokes, trivia, games, and other fun with Google Assistant.
- Press the microphone button on top of the speaker to mute the far-field microphones. This will disable the Google Assistant from responding to your voice commands.
- The Cleer Crescent does support hands-free communication for making phone calls using the Google Assistant.
Chromecast Built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Crescent speaker system. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Cleer Crescent speaker system.
- Online Music Services: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, Qobuz, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply).
- Music Libraries: You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android OS device to the Crescent speaker. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home.
Note: Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) through the Crescent speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Crescent. In addition, you can watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Crescent speaker system.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Clear Crescent speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Bluetooth 4.2: With built-in Bluetooth 4.2 and support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP), you are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer to the Crescent speaker system. You'll also be able to control Volume and Play/Pause functions from the Crescent speaker. Advanced music playback and song/artist/album information will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
Note: The Crescent can only paired and connected to a single device. When the Crescent is powered on and within Bluetooth range (approximately 33'), it will automatically reconnect with your last paired and connected device.
Analog & Digital Inputs: In addition to wireless connectivity, the Crescent is outfitted with an analog stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input and a optical (toslink) digital audio input for connection of an external audio device with an analog out, headphone jack or optical digital out. The optical digital input can support 2ch stereo PCM up to 24-bit/96kHz (Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats are not supported).
Top-Panel Controls: Straight-forward physical buttons on the speaker's top-panel allow control over power, source, volume, sound modes, and play/pause functions.
Mounting & Placement Options: You can place the Crescent wireless powered speaker on any flat and stable surface near an AC wall outlet. The Crescent works great for 3D Audio mode and Stereo Widening mode if the listening range is approximately 5' to 8' away. Position the Crescent only 1' to 2' away from a wall to increase bass and 3D Audio mode performance.
Note: The Crescent does not include a bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
AC Power Adapter: The included AC power adapter and cord will need to plug into the back of the Crescent wireless powered speaker and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Auto Firmware Updates: The Cleer Crescent wireless powered speaker will automatically update to the latest firmware version when it is connected to the Internet via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection.