About the Primare A35.2
Clean power and a clean look
Clean power and a clean look
For the A35.2, Primare designed a completely new power supply, with custom wound transformers, which helps the amplifier produce its immense musical power.
Swedish high-end audio maker Primare has been building components with distinctive sound quality and looks since the mid '80s. They've produced Class A and AB solid-state amplifiers, as well as tube-based designs. Over the past dozen years they've been refining their proprietary Class D amplifier technology, which is at the heart of their flagship amp, the A35.2. This is the most powerful stereo amplifier Primare has ever built, producing 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms.
The main reason Class D is gaining in popularity is its high efficiency — it delivers more of the power fed into it as musical signal output. This efficiency reduces heat and the need for large heat sinks, resulting in very powerful amps that are relatively compact and lightweight. The challenge for Class D has been matching the sound quality of the finest conventional amp designs.
I've owned a couple Class D amps over the years, and I've been impressed by the more refined sound of recent Class D designs. The Primare A35.2 spent about a month in my main system and I enjoyed my time with it very much. It sounds clean, smooth, and dynamic, producing a wide, three-dimensional soundstage filled with rich detail and toe-tapping energy. It's the best-sounding amp I've ever used.
Primare's take on Class D
Class D amps are often erroneously described as "digital amps," but the A35.2 operates entirely in the analog realm. Primare's proprietary UFPD (Ultra Fast Power Device) 2 Class D amplification technology provides high power output with very low distortion across the entire audio band. The resulting sound is fast, clean, and agile, with exceptional headroom to handle music's dynamic peaks.
The combination of nearly unlimited power with simple, ultra-short signal paths ensures high current output for remarkable control and stability when driving even the most difficult speaker loads.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.008% THD
- 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- bridged mono output: 800 watts into 8 ohms, 500 watts into 4 ohms
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- proprietary UFPD 2 (Ultra Fast Power Device) Class D amplifier technology
- high-efficiency, low-noise switching power supply with APFC (Active Power-Factor Correction)
- fully balanced design from input to output
- selectable normal/high gain (+6dB) — high gain is for bridged mode only
- selectable signal-sensing auto-standby
- stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- 3-way binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and spade lugs
- 3.5mm 12V trigger in/out for powering the amp on and off from another device
- RS-232 port for use with whole house control systems
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-15/16"W x 5-5/8"H x 16-11/16"D
- weight: 25.8 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS30A352BLK
What's in the box:
- Power amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 59" Mono-minijack cable
- AC polarity pen
- Shorting link
- Thank You Letter
- Safety and Warning Notification
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Primare A35.2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Primare A35.2
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||200|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||400|
|Bridged Power per Channel||800 watts|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|
|Input Type||RCA, XLR|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
|Speaker Connectors||Binding Post|
UFPD 2 Amplification Technology: The A35.2 power amplifier utilizes Primare's new proprietary UFPD 2 power technology, providing immediate and sustained high power output with very low distortion, instantaneous rise time and absolutely linear amplification across the entire bandwidth resulting in a naturally fast, clean and agile sound over an ultra-wide frequency range and with exceptional headroom. UFPD 2 combines state of the art Class D amplifier efficiency together with state of the art audio performance. Providing high power of linear UFPD 2 amplification across the entire audible bandwidth, the A35.2 delivers naturally fast, clean and agile sound with an unprecedented ability to bring music to life.
- Class D Technology: Class D amplifier technology has many inherent advantages, one of which is the ability to locate the heat sink directly on the circuit board within the amplification module, considerably reducing circuit path length and allowing for the power output devices to be directly connected to the speaker output connection posts. The term "Class D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. While some Class D amps may indeed be controlled by digital circuits or include digital signal processing devices, Primare’s UFPD 2 amp modules operate entirely in the analog domain. Basically, the UFPD 2 amplifier module takes an analog input sine wave and converts it into a high-frequency pulse-width modulated square wave for amplification. This square wave is then filtered, resulting in an amplified analog sine wave at the output.
- New Amplifier Circuit: Within the UFPD 2 is a new amplifier circuit has been developed that does not affect the gain versus frequency curve and thereby the bandwidth does not have to be limited. This gives very low phase shift in the audio band and a larger closed loop bandwidth. Using a custom made output coil in the 2nd order filter error amplifier with the same loop gain results in feedback control across the entire audio band. It has been optimized to keep the loop gain constant in the audio band, which means it is actually lower at low frequencies than with UFPD but much higher at high frequencies. The result is even more linear amplification, with lower noise, providing an absolute silent background from which music has a more holographic, three-dimensional, life-like character and richness.
Amplifier Modes: The Primare A35.2 offers two amplifier modes; you can choose between Stereo or Bridged. There is a switch on the back-panel of the amplifier which allows you to choose between Stereo or Bridged mode. A Shorting Link cable is provided to bridge the amplifier channels.
- Stereo: In Stereo mod,e the Primare A35.2 can power a pair of stereo loudspeaker rated at 8 or 4-ohm. The A35.2 delivers 200 watts x 2 channels at 8-ohm or 400 watts x 2 channels into 4-ohm.
- Bridged: In Mono mode, the Primare A35.2 can power a single mono loudspeaker rated at 8 or 4-ohm. The A35.2 delivers 800 watts x 1 channel at 8-ohm or 500 watts x 1 channel at 4-ohm.
Thoroughly Implemented Power Supply: A thoroughly implemented power supply design is utilized so that the Primare A35.2 can operate effortlessly at its fullest effectiveness. The power supply has been carefully selected, meticulously crafted, and strategically inserted into the A35.2 power amplifier.
- Custom Designed Power Transformer: The Primare A35.2 power amplifier employs a completely new power supply, with custom wound transformers that delivers immense electrical power needed for the power amp to produce the immense amount of musical power of which it is capable.
- Active Power-Factory Correction (APFC): This newly developed Active Power-Factor Correction (APFC) converter is as much as 5% more efficient than past supplies, and comprises dual PFC converters 180 degrees out of phase from each other. AFPC is used to avoid input current harmonics, thereby minimizing interference with other devices being powered from the same source. This reduces the total current ripple and improves EMC (Electromotive Compatibility), while current ripple at the output of the PFC converter is also reduced, which decreases stress within the circuit for prolonged life. Additionally, the supply operates in what is called "transition mode", minimizing switching losses and improving overall efficiency in delivering power to the UFPD 2 amplification module.
Balanced XLR & Unbalanced RCA Inputs: The Primare A35.2 is outfitted with both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA stereo analog audio inputs. These connections are used to connect the power amplifier to a preamplifier or processor (sold separately). There is a switch on the back-panel of the amplifier which allows you to indicate if you are utilizing a XLR or RCA connection. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Heavy-Duty Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: The Primare A35.2 is equipped with four heavy-duty, gold-plated binding post terminals to connect a single pair of stereo loudspeakers or one mono-bridged loudspeaker. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors and banana plugs (single only). The amplifier supports connection of one or two 4-ohm and 8-ohm speakers.
Note: A Shorting Link cable is provided to bridge the amplifier channels and speaker terminal outputs.
Trigger In/Out For added convenience the A35.2 is outfitted with a 3.5mm Trigger input and 3.5mm Trigger output. The Trigger input allows the A35.2 to be powered on and off remotely and automatically from a preamplifier/processor's Trigger output. The unit's Trigger output can be used to daisy-chain another A35.2 amplifier for automatic remote turn on and off.
RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the A35.2 power amplifier to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).
Auto Sense: The A35.2 includes an Auto Sense feature that will put the amplifier into standby if no signal is received for 20 minutes. The amplifier will automatically come out of standby and power back on if an input signal is sensed. There is a switch on the back-panel of the amplifier that turns the Auto Sense feature on or off.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The A35.2 power amplifier comes with a detachable 6' AC power that will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet or preferably a power line condition and surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).