About the Primare CD15 Prisma
It plays CDs and lots more
It plays CDs and lots more
CD players with DACs that can handle other digital music sources aren't new, but we haven't seen one with the versatility of Primare's CD15 Prisma before. It sounds great playing your CDs, as well as stored and streamed digital media. Both wired and wireless connectivity and control capabilities are handled by Primare's brilliant Prisma network streamer technology.
Attention to every detail, inside and out
The Philips slot-load disc drive that Primare chose for the CD15 was originally developed for automotive use. It's extremely reliable and well isolated from both external and internal vibrations, ensuring long life and low noise. The built-in high-performance 32-bit AKM DAC presents virtually any digital music source with clarity and detail, while also sounding smooth and unfatiguing.
Using the player's RCA outputs, you can select either fixed or variable volume level. Choose fixed mode for connecting to a receiver or preamp, while variable mode is the best option for connecting directly to an amplifier or powered speakers.
Primare's Prisma network player makes streaming music easy
Prisma is actually a bundle of technologies that provides a broad range of network music player features and functionality. It makes it easy to discover, explore, and share high-performance music playback, whether the source is stored or streamed, wired or wireless. Whether you're listening to Spotify® or files from your NAS drive, the Prisma control app provides total system management from your mobile device.
The CD15 Prisma also features Chromecast built-in, a streaming portal that lets you connect directly to hundreds of streaming applications. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality. It's even possible to enjoy high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz) from services like TIDAL and Qobuz. The CD15 Prisma is also Roon Ready (firmware update required).
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- plays audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs
- premium 32-bit AKM AK4490EQ DAC plays high-res digital music files (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- Prisma network player controls stored and streamed media, whether wired or wireless
- compatible file types: WAV, LPCM, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4 (AAC), WMA, OGG, and DSD
- Philips slot-load disc drive resists vibration and noise
- custom linear power supply combined with a switching mode standby supply (turned off when in playback mode to minimize noise)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 80 dB
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- free Primare Prisma app for iOS® and Android™ devices offers easy control for playback of stored and streamed media, setup, and settings adjustments
- provides multi-room, multi-zone control between other Prisma enabled devices
- Spotify® Connect support (Spotify app and premium account required)
- Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud via compatible devices and apps, including high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- controllable with Google Assistant-compatible voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay® lets you stream directly from an iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac®, or computer running iTunes® (AirPlay 2 support coming via future firmware update)
- built-in Bluetooth® for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Roon Ready: catalog, control, and discover music via subscription-based Roon software (Roon support coming via future firmware update)
- supports DLNA and UPnP™ (Universal Plug 'n' Play) high-resolution wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer, or from a NAS drive
- 1 stereo RCA analog output with selectable fixed/variable volume
- 1 USB Type-A input for connecting a thumb drive (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- Ethernet port for connecting to a home network (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 1 coaxial digital audio output
- 1 Toslink optical digital audio output
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger in/out for switching on the CD15 Prisma from another device, like Primare's I15 integrated amp
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 13-13/16"W x 2-7/8"H x 15-1/16"D
- weight: 14.6 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIMS10CD15PRSBLK
What's in the box:
- CD/Network player
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (C25)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Bluetooth/WiFi antennas
- Two 59" Mono-minijack cables
- AC polarity pen
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Primare CD15 Prisma reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare CD15 Prisma
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Stereo SACD Playback||N|
|CD Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||80 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||Not Compatible|
|SACD Dynamic Range||Not Given|
|SACD THD||Not Given|
|Analog RCA Output||Yes|
|Analog XLR Output||No|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
CD15 Prisma: The CD15 Prisma is a compact complete digital music source featuring a slot-load dedicated CD drive with Prisma control and connectivity technology feeding a carefully crafted DAC stage and finely tuned analog output stage, allowing for full featured digital music playback from either stored or streamed media, as well as multi-room/multi-zone capabilities. In fixed output mode it is a complete digital music source for any high end audio system. In variable output mode, simply connect a pair of powered speakers to form a complete compact digital music system.
Phillips Slot-Load Disc Drive: The Philips slot-load disc drive (CDM-M10) chosen for use in CD15 was originally developed for the transportation industry, and as a result is extremely reliable and well isolated from external and internal vibrations, ensuring long life and low noise. An internal interphase I2S and SPDIF digital audio interface combined with buffered memory is utilized for improved performance.
Note: The CD15 supports playback of CD-Audio discs; as well as CD-R/CD-RW discs with PCM music files (up 44.1kHz). Its compatible with 12cm discs only (not compatible 8cm disc). Not compatible with SACD or DVD Audio discs.
High Performance 32-Bit Stereo DAC: In order to allow for playback of virtually any digital source with absolute accuracy and musicality, a high performance 32-bit stereo AKM DAC AK4490EQ chipset was selected for the CD15, incorporating AKM’s VELVET SOUNDTM technology, and capable of achieving -112dB THD+N with 120dB (stereo) S/N, while supporting up to 192kHz PCM and 128/5.6MHz DSD. The AK4490EQ integrates a newly developed switched capacitor filter "OSR Doubler" that greatly reduces sound degradation from noise shaping, achieving a flat noise floor up to 200kHz. An innovative design technique utilizing a symmetrical layout for the left and right channels prevents signal quality deterioration, and a 32-bit digital operation block provides full 32-bit processing.
Custom Linear Power Supply: A custom linear power supply is combined with a switch mode standby supply (turned off when in playback mode to minimize noise) to deliver on demand the precise power needed.
Analog & Digital Outputs: The Primare CD15 Prisma is outfitted with both analog and digital audio outputs. There is an unbalanced RCA stereo analog output, plus an optical (toslink) digital output and coaxial (RCA) digital output. The digital outputs support 16-bit/44.1kHz PCM audio, while the analog outputs can be set to Fixed or Variable.
USB-A Port: The Primare CD15 Prisma features a rear-panel USB-A port for connection of a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdriver or hard disk drive (some hard disk drives will require external AC power). Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Primare CD15 Prisma features built-in Bluetooth with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP), playback control (AVRCP) and multi-device pairing (SSP). The CD15 Prisma CD/Network player can be paired with a variety of Bluetooth-enabled devices; including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. The Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 33'.
- Wireless Music Streaming: You are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the CD15 Prisma CD/Network player. You can use the included remote to control Volume, Play/Pause and Skip functions. All other playback control, search functions, and song/artist/album display will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) allows devices to be paired without entering PIN codes. The CD15 Prisma remembers multiple devices and connects automatically to the last paired device when turned on again. Only one device can be connected to the CD/Network player for playback at a time.
- The CD/Network player does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the CD15 Prisma.
Network Audio Section
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Primare CD15 Prisma CD/Network player offers wired and wireless network connectivity. It's outfitted with two Ethernet (RJ45) jacks (LAN In/Lan Out) for a hardwired connection to your network router and a wired daisy-chain network connection to another network enabled device. It also features built-in dual-band 2.4/5GHZ WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wireless connection to your WiFi router. Two antennas are included and must be installed to make a wireless WiFi connection.
Note: A network connection is required for Chromecast Built-In , AirPlay, Spotify Connect, DLNA/UPnP, and Roon.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) and from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the Primare CD15 Prisma, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the CD/Network player or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library.
Note: AirPlay 2 will be supported through a future firmware update (no ETA available).
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the CD15 Prisma CD/Network player. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Primare CD15 Prisma.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the CD15 Prisma. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the CD/Network player.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The CD15 Prisma and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the CD15 Prisma CD/Network player from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 50 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Local Network Music Libraries: The Primare CD15 Prisma supports DLNA and UPnP for wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer. Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files. You'll be able to control and browse your computer's local music library from the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. The Prisma App will also display song title, artist name, album name, and album art.
- DLNA: The CD15 Prisma is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC or DLNA compliant NAS through the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- UPnP: With support for UPnP (Universal Plug-And-Play), you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the CD15 Prisma. The network device needs to running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service; free and paid UPnP services are available. Some systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service.
Note: Your digital music files must be stored locally on your computer, NAS drive, or other DLNA/UPnP device.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Primare CD15 Prisma and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the available Prisma and Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the CD15 Prisma or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
- Support for Roon will require a future firmware update (no ETA available).
- To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Primare CD15 Prisma CD/Network player. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or other device, located on the network within your home.
Prisma App: The Prisma app (for Apple iOS 8.1+ and Android OS 4.3+) allows for the configuration and control of virtually all functions of the CD15 Prisma CD player, duplicating and enhancing the front-panel and remote control systems, over your local area network from your compatible mobile device.
- Configuration & Setup: The app allows you to customize inputs and select media severs, as well as enable or disable inputs, auto-sense input selection, choose between fixed or variable volume output, and adjust individual input gain. You can also manage zones to connect with other Prisma devices round your home. In addition, you can adjust balanced, startup volume, maximum volume, and mute level. You can even adjust the front-panel display's illumination level and enable auto-standby and wake-up on input signal.
- Control & Playback: From the app you can control input selection, play/pause, previous/next track, random/repeat, volume adjustment and mute. You also have access to stored music files on your local network devices. You can search by artist album, track, title, or even playlist. The app also display track information such as source, duration, bitrate, bit-depth, sampling rate, format, and file size.
Note: The CD15 Prisma and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device must be on the same home network.
Front-Panel Display & Controls: The front-panel display indicates elapsed and remain time. You can switch between elapsed time for the current track or entire disc and reamining time for the current track and entire disc. You can also adjust the brightness level of the display. Front-panel controls include Power On/Off, Play, Skip, Stop, Open, and Menu.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Pirmare CD15 Prisma CD/Network player. The IR remote offers the same controls that are located on the front-panel, as well as advanced playback, search, and menu functions.
IR Input/Output: The IR input (3.5mm) and IR output (3.5mm) can be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) and compatible Primare products.
12V Trigger In/Out: The 12V Trigger input/output (3.5mm) allows you to syncrhonize the CD15 Prisma CD/Network player's power on/off with other components that also features a 12V Trigger input/output.
RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the CD15 Prismas CD/Network player to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).