About the Primare DD15
A solid foundation for great CD sound
A solid foundation for great CD sound
Primare's DD15 is a compact high end CD transport with a stylish minimalist look. If you've only ever owned CD players, you may be puzzled by the concept of a CD transport. But accurately reading the information on your discs is the first step to great CD sound. The Philips slot-load disc drive that Primare chose for the DD15 was originally developed for automotive use. It's extremely reliable and well isolated from both external and internal vibrations, ensuring long life and low noise.
Many years ago I got to audition a separate DAC and CD transport from another respected high-end audio company. I was mainly interested in the DAC, so I started by using my CD player as a transport and, sure enough, the DAC easily outperformed the one in my CD player. Almost as an afterthought I replaced my player with the CD transport, and was startled by further improvements in sound quality. Among other things, the transport provided tighter mid-bass.
Pair it with a high-quality DAC
No matter what DAC you plan to use, sending it the purest digital signal will ensure the best possible sound. Primare suggests partnering the DD15 transport with one of their Prisma components with a high-quality built-in DAC, such as the SC15 Prisma preamplifier or I15 Prisma integrated amplifier.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- plays audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs
- Philips slot-load disc drive resists vibration and noise
- custom linear power supply combined with a switching mode standby supply (turned off when in playback mode to minimize noise)
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- 1 coaxial digital audio output
- 1 Toslink optical digital audio output
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger in/out for switching on the DD15 from another device
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 13-13/16"W x 2-7/8"H x 15-1/16"D
- weight: 14.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS10DD15TTM
What's in the box:
- CD transport
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (C25)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 59" Mono-minijack cables
- AC polarity pen
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Primare DD15 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare DD15
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||Yes|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Network Music Streaming||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Stereo SACD Playback||N|
|CD Frequency Response||N/A Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|SACD Frequency Response||Not Compatible|
|SACD Dynamic Range||Not Given|
|SACD THD||Not Given|
|Analog RCA Output||No|
|Analog XLR Output||No|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
DD15 CD Transport: The Primare DD15 is a compact CD transport providing high end digital transport capabitlites to virtually any system as a result of its dedicated low resonance slot load CD drive and low noise digital output, while its compact cabinet makes it the perfect partner for Primare's SC15 Prisma preamplifier/network player or I15 Prisma integrated amplifier/network player (sold separately).
Note: The Primare DD15 is a CD transport and not a traditional CD player; it is not equipped with its own DAC (digital-to-analog converter).
Phillips Slot-Load Disc Drive: The Philips slot-load disc drive (CDM-M10) chosen for use in DD15 was originally developed for the transportation industry, and as a result is extremely reliable and well isolated from external and internal vibrations, ensuring long life and low noise.
Note: The DD15 supports playback of CD-Audio discs; as well as CD-R/CD-RW discs with PCM music files (up 44.1kHz). Its compatible with 12cm discs only (not compatible 8cm disc). Not compatible with SACD or DVD Audio discs.
Custom Linear Power Supply: A custom linear power supply is combined with a switch mode standby supply (turned off when in playback mode to minimize noise) to deliver on demand the precise power needed.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Outputs: The DD15 is equipped with an optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital outputs that support 16-bit/44.1kHz PCM audio. The optical and coaxial digital outputs to not support Dolby Digital/DTS.
Note: The DD15 is not outfitted with any analog audio outputs.
Remote Control: The Primare DD15 includes an IR remote; plus offers IR Input/Output connections, a 12V trigger in/out connections, and a RS232 port.
- IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Pirmare DD15 CD transport. The IR remote offers the same controls that are located on the front-panel, as well as advanced playback, search, and menu functions.
- IR Input/Output: The IR input (3.5mm) and IR output (3.5mm) can be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) and compatible Primare products.
- 12V Trigger In/Out: The 12V Trigger input/output (3.5mm) allows you to syncrhonize the DD15 CD transport's power on/off with other components that also features a 12V Trigger input/output.
- RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the Primare DD15 CD transport to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).
Front-Panel Display & Controls: The front-panel display indicates elapsed and remain time. You can switch between elapsed time for the current track or entire disc and reamining time for the current track and entire disc. You can also adjust the brightness level of the display. Front-panel controls include Power On/Off, Play, Skip, Stop, Open, and Menu.