About the Primare I15
Add more harmony to your listening
Add more harmony to your listening
The compact Primare I15 integrated amp will bring clear, wide-open sound to small and medium-sized rooms. In designing their audio components, Primare prioritizes sound quality, of course, but they also pay attention to the way each component looks and how the controls feel. Primare equipment exudes the hallmarks of Scandinavian design — everything in balance, proportion, and harmony.
Primare describes the I15 as an "all analog" integrated amplifier. That just means it doesn't include a built-in DAC for digital music sources, the way Primare's I15 Prisma does. The I15's rear panel provides five sets of stereo RCA inputs for your music sources, plus RCA outputs for connecting an additional amplifier, if needed. If you want to connect a turntable, take a look at this amp's cousin, the I15 MM — it includes a phono stage for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge.
The I15's efficient, cool-running amplifier uses Hypex all analog Class D power modules to deliver 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms. That's the rating in the owner's manual, anyway, but once you connect the I15 to your speakers, you'll be pleasantly surprised by this amp's dynamic drive.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- 60 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms
- signal-to-noise ratio: 97 dB
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- efficient, cool-running Class D amplifier provides accurate, neutral sound
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- 5 stereo RCA audio inputs
- 2 stereo RCA outputs (one line out w/fixed volume for dubbing; one pre-out w/volume control for connecting an amplifier or powered subwoofer)
- no phono input to connect a turntable consider adding Primare's R15 phono preamp
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and pin connectors
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output allows the I15 to switch on other devices
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 13-13/16"W x 2-7/8"H x 15-7/16"D
- weight: 14.3 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS10I15BLK
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (C25)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 59" Mono-minijack cables
- AC polarity pen
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Primare I15 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare I15
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||60|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||100|
|Minimum Impedance||N/A ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||97|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||5|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Hypex UCD102 Amplifier Module: The I15 employs a specially made Hypex UCD102 amplifier module, fed by Primare's custom heavy duty switch mode power supply and carefully crafted analog input stage that provides a dynamic and detailed sound. The Hypex amplifier module is rated a 60 watts x 2 channels into 8-ohms and 100 watts x 2 channels into 4-ohms. Given the speed at which the Hypex amplifier module is able to deliver power to the speaker, a switch mode power supply was the only choice because it allows for rapidly varying demand, providing much more stable voltage, with ancillary capacitive storage to meet peak transient burst requirements.
Simple Circuitry Design: The I15 utilizes simple circuitry design and architecture with ultra-short signal paths, double-sided circuit boards, and surface-mount components for natural and unaltered sound.
- Ultra-Short Signal Paths: Ultra-short signal paths are used so that each individual component and sub circuit operates sympathetically to achieve a cohesive whole. Elegant and simple electrical designs are used in even the most complex product, utilizing ultra-short signal paths with all gain in one device whenever possible. Ultimately, this results in fewer, higher quality parts for a reduction in associated distortions and an increase in overall electrical efficiency.
- Double-Sided Circuit Board Construction: 2 and 4-layer double-sided circuit board construction allows for the most direct and efficient layout of circuit components not only for the shortest signal path, but also to more easily achieve a sympathetic layout of circuit and sub-circuit components for best performance.
- Surface-Mount Components: Surface-mount components are used whenever possible as this allows for direct connection of the circuit device or component to the circuit board trace with the solder being used solely to mechanically hold the part in place. The elimination of the small metal lead or wire at each connection point in a more conventional large scale circuit device or component cumulatively shortens the signal path.
Analog Inputs & Outputs: The Primare I15 is outfitted with five stereo RCA analog inputs, one stereo RCA analog output, and one stereo RCA pre-out. The analog inputs can be set to a fixed or variable gain. The variable gain is adjustable from -30dB to 0dB in 1dB increments. The stereo RCA line output can be used for audio dubbing, while the stereo RCA pre-out can be used to connect a powered subwoofer or external power amplifier.
- There is no phono input. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need a turntable with a built-in preamplifier or an external phono preamp (sold separately).
- This unit is not equipped with a built-in DAC and there are no digital audio inputs.
Binding Posts: The Primare I15 is equipped with four heavy-duty, gold-plated binding post terminals to connect a single pair of loudspeakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). You can connect a single pair of 4 ohm to 8 ohm speakers.
Volume Settings: The integrated amp has a volume range of 0 to 99. You can adjust the units start up volume (0-60), maximum volume (0-99), and mute volume level (0-30).
Auto-Sense & Auto Standby: The Auto-Sense function automatically turns on the integrated amp when it sense an audio signal. The unit will enter Standby automatically when there is no audio signal and no user interaction for 10, 15, or 20 minutes. These functions can also be turned off.
- IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the I15 integrated amplifier. The remote can also be used to control other Primare components, such as a CD or network player.
- IR Input/Output: The IR input (3.5mm) and IR output (3.5mm) can be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) and compatible Primare products.
- 12V Trigger Out: The 12V Trigger output (3.5mm) allows the I15 integrated amp to switch on other devices, such as the Primare DD35 CD transport.
- RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the I15 integrated amp to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).
Front-Panel Display: The units front-panel display indicates source input, volume level, and other menu settings. The Front-panel display also shows song/artist/album information (no album art). You can adjust the brightness of the display; set it to High, Mid, Low, or Off. There is also an Auto-Dim function that automatically dims the display after 1, 5, or 10 minutes of no user interaction.
1 question already asked