About the Primare I15 Prisma
A smart, versatile control center for a 2-channel music system
A smart, versatile control center for a 2-channel music system
Inside the I15 Prisma's petite case you'll find a smooth-sounding DAC and a cool-running Class D amplifier with surprising poise and punch.
In Primare's I15 family of integrated amplifiers, the I15 Prisma is the brainy one. Think of it as a one-box solution for most people's digital music needs. You can connect one analog and multiple digital music sources, or choose from an array of wireless streaming options.
This svelte 3/4-size component includes a nice remote, but the best way to navigate your music options is with the clean, intuitive Prisma app, available for both iOS® and Android™ devices.
Primare's Class D amp sounds... classy
The amplifier section of the I15 Prisma delivers 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms. It's rated conservatively — when you connect it to your speakers, you'll swear the actual power output is higher.
Primare has been refining their Class D technology over the past ten years, and reviewers describe the sound of their latest amps as unfailingly smooth and natural.
The brilliant Prisma network player
Prisma is actually a bundle of technologies that provides a broad range of network music player features and functionality. It makes it easy to discover, explore, and share high-performance music playback, whether the source is stored or streamed, wired or wireless. Whether you're listening to Spotify or files from your NAS drive, the Prisma control app provides total system management from your mobile device.
The I15 Prisma also features Chromecast built-in, a streaming portal that lets you connect directly to hundreds of streaming applications. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality. It's even possible to enjoy high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz) from services like TIDAL and Qobuz. The I15 Prisma is also Roon Ready (firmware update required).
The built-in high-performance 32-bit DAC presents virtually any digital music source with a level of clarity and detail you may not have experienced before.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- 60 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms
- signal-to-noise ratio: 97 dB
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- efficient, cool-running Class D amplifier provides accurate, neutral sound
- premium DAC plays high-res digital music files (PCM up to 32-bit/384kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- compatible file types: WAV, LPCM, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4 (AAC), WMA, OGG, and DSD
- Prisma network player controls stored and streamed media, whether wired or wireless
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- free Primare Prisma app for iOS® and Android™ devices offers easy control for playback of stored and streamed media, setup, and settings adjustments
- provides multi-room, multi-zone control between other Prisma enabled devices
- Spotify® Connect support (Spotify app and premium account required)
- Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud via compatible devices and apps, including high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- controllable with Google Assistant-compatible voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay® lets you stream directly from an iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac®, or computer running iTunes® (AirPlay 2 support coming via future firmware update)
- built-in Bluetooth® for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Roon Ready: catalog, control, and discover music via subscription-based Roon software (Roon support coming via future firmware update)
- supports DLNA and UPnP™ (Universal Plug 'n' Play) high-resolution wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer, or from a NAS drive
- 5 digital audio inputs (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 3 Toslink optical
- 1 3.5mm mini-optical (works as a digital or analog input)
- 1 coaxial
- 1 USB Type-B input for connecting a PC or Mac (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/384kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 1 USB Type-A input for connecting a thumb drive (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- Ethernet port for connecting to a home network (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 1 coaxial digital audio output
- 1 stereo RCA analog input
- stereo RCA preamp output with selectable fixed/variable volume
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and pin connectors
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output allows the I15 Prisma to switch on other devices, such as Primare's DD15 CD transport
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 13-13/16"W x 2-7/8"H x 15-7/16"D
- weight: 14.3 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS10I15PRSMTTM
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (C25)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Bluetooth/WiFi antennas
- Two 59" Mono-minijack cables
- AC polarity pen
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Primare I15 Prisma reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare I15 Prisma
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||60|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||100|
|Minimum Impedance||N/A ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||97|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Inputs||3|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Amplifier & Audio Section
Hypex UCD102 Amplifier Module: The I15 Prisma employs a specially made Hypex UCD102 amplifier module, fed by Primare's custom heavy duty switch mode power supply and carefully crafted analog input stage that provides a dynamic and detailed sound. The Hypex amplifier module is rated a 60 watts x 2 channels into 8-ohms and 100 watts x 2 channels into 4-ohms. Given the speed at which the Hypex amplifier module is able to deliver power to the speaker, a switch mode power supply was the only choice because it allows for rapidly varying demand, providing much more stable voltage, with ancillary capacitive storage to meet peak transient burst requirements.
High Performance 32-Bit Stereo DAC: In order to allow for playback of virtually any digital source with absolute accuracy and musicality, a high performance 32-bit stereo DAC chipset was selected for the I15 Prisma that is capable of achieving -112dB THD+N with 120dB (stereo) S/N, while supporting up to 768kHz PCM and 256/11.2MHz DSD. The 32-Bit stereo DaC integrates a newly developed switched capacitor filter "OSR Doubler" that greatly reduces sound degradation from noise shaping, achieving a flat noise floor up to 200kHz. An innovative design technique utilizing a symmetrical layout for the left and right channels prevents signal quality deterioration, and a 32-bit digital operation block provides full 32-bit processing.
Simple Circuitry Design: The I15 Prisma utilizes simple circuitry design and architecture with ultra-short signal paths, double-sided circuit boards, and surface-mount components for natural and unaltered sound.
- Ultra-Short Signal Paths: Ultra-short signal paths are used so that each individual component and sub circuit operates sympathetically to achieve a cohesive whole. Elegant and simple electrical designs are used in even the most complex product, utilizing ultra-short signal paths with all gain in one device whenever possible. Ultimately, this results in fewer, higher quality parts for a reduction in associated distortions and an increase in overall electrical efficiency.
- Double-Sided Circuit Board Construction: 2 and 4-layer double-sided circuit board construction allows for the most direct and efficient layout of circuit components not only for the shortest signal path, but also to more easily achieve a sympathetic layout of circuit and sub-circuit components for best performance.
- Surface-Mount Components: Surface-mount components are used whenever possible as this allows for direct connection of the circuit device or component to the circuit board trace with the solder being used solely to mechanically hold the part in place. The elimination of the small metal lead or wire at each connection point in a more conventional large scale circuit device or component cumulatively shortens the signal path.
Analog Input & Output: The Primare I15 Prisma is outfitted with one stereo RCA analog input and one stereo RCA analog output. The analog input can set to a fixed or variable gain. The variable gain is adjustable from -30dB to 0dB in 1dB increments. The stereo RCA pre-out can be used to connect an external power amp.
Note: There is no phono input. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need a turntable with a built-in preamplifier or an external phono preamp (sold separately).
Digital Inputs & Output: The Primare I115 Prisma is equipped with three toslink optical digital inputs, one mini-toslink optical digital input, and one coaxial (RCA) digital input. The digital inputs support up to 24-bit/192kHz stereo (2ch) PCM audio. There is also a digital coaxial (RCA) output for connect to an external DAC.
Note: The digital input and outputs do not support multichannel audio formats, such as Dolby Digital & DTS.
Binding Posts: The Primare I15 Prisma is equipped with four heavy-duty, gold-plated binding post terminals to connect a single pair of loudspeakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). You can connect a single pair of 4 ohm to 8 ohm speakers.
Volume Settings: The integrated amp has a volume range of 0 to 99. You can adjust the units start up volume (0-60), maximum volume (0-99), and mute volume level (0-30).
Auto-Sense & Auto Standby: The Auto-Sense function automatically turns on the integrated amp when it sense an audio signal. The unit will enter Standby automatically when there is no audio signal and no user interaction for 10, 15, or 20 minutes. These functions can also be turned off.
Network & Multiroom Audio
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Primare I15 Prisma integrated amplifier offers wired and wireless network connectivity. It's outfitted with an Ethernet (RJ45) jack for a hardwired connection to your network router. It also features built-in dual-band 2.4/5GHZ WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wireless connection to your WiFi router. Two antennas are included and must be installed to make a wireless WiFi connection.
Note: A network connection is required for Chromecast Built-In , AirPlay, Spotify Connect, DLNA/UPnP, and Roon.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) and from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the Primare I15 Prisma, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the integrated amp or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library.
Note: AirPlay 2 will be supported through a future firmware update (no ETA available).
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the I15 Prisma integrated amp. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Primare I15 Prisma.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the I15 Prisma. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the integrated amp.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The I15 Prisma and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the I15 Prisma integrated amp from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 50 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Local Network Music Libraries: The Primare I15 Prisma supports DLNA and UPnP for wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer. Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files. You'll be able to control and browse your computer's local music library from the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. The Prisma App will also display song title, artist name, album name, and album art.
- DLNA: The I15 Prisma is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC or DLNA compliant NAS through the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- UPnP: With support for UPnP (Universal Plug-And-Play), you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the I15 Prisma. The network device needs to running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service; free and paid UPnP services are available. Some systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service.
Note: Your digital music files must be stored locally on your computer, NAS drive, or other DLNA/UPnP device.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Primare I15 Prisma and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the available Prisma and Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the I15 Prisma or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
- Support for Roon will require a future firmware update (no ETA available).
- To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Primare I15 Prisma integrated amp. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or other device, located on the network within your home.
USB & Bluetooth Integration
USB-A Port: The Primare I15 Prisma features a rear-panel USB-A port for connection of a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdriver or hard disk drive (some hard disk drives will require external AC power). Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files.
USB-B Port: The I15 Prisma is also equipped with a rear-panel USB-B port for connection to your Windows PC or Mac computer, so you can play music files stored on your laptop or desktop through the Primare integrated amplifier. The USB-B input allows playback of PCM (up to 32-bit/768kHz) and DSD (up to 256/11.2MHz) music files.
- Windows PC: Supports connection of Windows PC with 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (32/64-bit) installed. You will also need to install the Primare Xmos audio driver that can be found on Primare's website.
- Mac Computer: Supports connection of Mac computer with OSX 10.4 or later (no separate driver is required).
Note: The music files need to be stored locally on your Windows PC or Mac, and not on the cloud.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Primare I15 Prisma features built-in Bluetooth with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP), playback control (AVRCP) and multi-device pairing (SSP). The I15 Prisma integrated amp can be paired with a variety of Bluetooth-enable devices; including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. The Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 33'.
- Wireless Music Streaming: You are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the I15 Prisma integrated amplifier. You can use the included remote to control Volume, Play/Pause and Skip functions. All other playback control, search functions, and song/artist/album display will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) allows devices to be paired without entering PIN codes. The I15 Prisma remembers multiple devices and connects automatically to the last paired device when turned on again. Only one device can be connected to the integrated amplifier for playback at a time.
- The integrated amp does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the I15 Prisma.
Remote & App Control
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the I15 Prisma integrated amplifier. The remote can also be used to control other Primare components, such as a CD or network player. The Prisma App, Google Home App, and your Apple iOS or Android device will be required to operate certain network sources, features and functions.
Prisma App: The Prisma app (for Apple iOS 8.1+ and Android OS 4.3+) allows for the configuration and control of virtually all functions of the I15 Prisma integrated amp, duplicating and enhancing the front-panel and remote control systems, over your local area network from your compatible mobile device.
- Configuration & Setup: The app allows you to customize inputs and select media severs, as well as enable or disable inputs, auto-sense input selection, choose between fixed or variable volume output, and adjust individual input gain. You can also manage zones to connect with other Prisma devices round your home. In addition, you can adjust balanced, startup volume, maximum volume, and mute level. You can even adjust the front-panel display's illumination level and enable auto-standby and wake-up on input signal.
- Control & Playback: From the app you can control input selection, play/pause, previous/next track, random/repeat, volume adjustment and mute. You also have access to stored music files on your local network devices. You can search by artist album, track, title, or even playlist. The app also display track information such as source, duration, bitrate, bit-depth, sampling rate, format, and file size.
Note: The I15 Prisma integrated amp and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device must be on the same home network.
IR Input/Output: The IR input (3.5mm) and IR output (3.5mm) can be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) and compatible Primare products.
12V Trigger Out: The 12V Trigger output (3.5mm) allows the I15 Prisma integrated amp to switch on other devices, such as the Primare DD35 CD transport.
RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the I15 Prisma integrated amp to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).
Front-Panel Display: The units front-panel display indicates source input, volume level, and other menu settings. The Front-panel display also shows song/artist/album information (no album art). You can adjust the brightness of the display; set it to High, Mid, Low, or Off. There is also an Auto-Dim function that automatically dims the display after 1, 5, or 10 minutes of no user interaction.