About the Primare I25
This amp's clean looks are living room ready
This amp's clean looks are living room ready
Attention to detail, both inside and out, helps Primare's I25 integrated amp stand out from the crowd. The elegantly precise feel of the volume knob — milled from a solid block of metal — hints at the exceptional listening experience on tap here. In designing their audio components, Primare always prioritizes sound quality, but they also pay more attention to the look and feel than many gear makers.
An amp with serious punch... and polish
Primare describes the I25 as an "all analog" integrated amplifier. It doesn't include a built-in DAC for digital music sources. If you need that capability, check out Primare's I25 Prisma, which adds a top-notch DAC along with the terrific Prisma network player. The I25's rear panel offers five sets of stereo RCA inputs for your music sources, plus RCA outputs for connecting an additional amplifier, if needed.
The I25 uses Primare's advanced UFPD 2 Class D amplifier technology to deliver 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Class D has many advantages, one of which is the ability to locate the heat sink directly on the circuit board within the amplification module. This shortens circuit path length and allows for the power output devices to be directly connected to the speaker output posts.
There's a persistent myth in audio that the "D" in Class D stands for digital, but that's not the case. The music signal is never converted from analog to digital and back to analog again. This is a pure analog amplifier that happens to use a high-speed switching power supply. Primare has been refining their Class D technology for over ten years, and reviewers describe the sound of their latest amps as unfailingly smooth and natural.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.01% THD
- 200 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms
- signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- proprietary UFPD 2 (Ultra Fast Power Device) Class D amplifier technology
- high-efficiency, low-noise switching power supply with APFC (Active Power-Factor Correction)
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- 5 stereo RCA audio inputs
- 2 stereo RCA audio outputs (one line out w/fixed volume for dubbing; one pre-out w/volume control for connecting an amplifier or powered subwoofer)
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need a phono preamp
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and pin connectors
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output allows the I25 to switch on other devices
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-15/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 17-15/16"D
- weight: 24.2 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS20I25BLK
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (C25)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 59" Mono-minijack cables
- AC polarity pen
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare I25
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||100|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||200|
|Minimum Impedance||N/A ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||5|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
UFPD 2 Amplification Technology: The amplifier section utilizes Primare's new proprietary UFPD 2 power technology, providing immediate and sustained high power output with very low distortion, instantaneous rise time and absolutely linear amplification across the entire bandwidth resulting in a naturally fast, clean and agile sound over an ultra-wide frequency range and with exceptional headroom. UFPD 2 combines state of the art Class D amplifier efficiency together with state of the art audio performance. Providing 100 watts at 8 ohms and 200 watts at 4 ohms of linear UFPD 2 amplification across the entire audible bandwidth, the I25 delivers naturally fast, clean and agile sound with an unprecedented ability to bring music to life.
- Class D Technology: Class D amplifier technology has many inherent advantages, one of which is the ability to locate the heat sink directly on the circuit board within the amplification module, considerably reducing circuit path length and allowing for the power output devices to be directly connected to the speaker output connection posts. The term "Class D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. While some Class D amps may indeed be controlled by digital circuits or include digital signal processing devices, Primare’s UFPD 2 amp modules operate entirely in the analog domain. Basically, the UFPD 2 amplifier module takes an analog input sine wave and converts it into a high-frequency pulse-width modulated square wave for amplification. This square wave is then filtered, resulting in an amplified analog sine wave at the output.
- New Amplifier Circuit: Within the UFPD 2 is a new amplifier circuit has been developed that does not affect the gain versus frequency curve and thereby the bandwidth does not have to be limited. This gives very low phase shift in the audio band and a larger closed loop bandwidth. Using a custom made output coil in the 2nd order filter error amplifier with the same loop gain results in feedback control across the entire audio band. It has been optimized to keep the loop gain constant in the audio band, which means it is actually lower at low frequencies than with UFPD but much higher at high frequencies. The result is even more linear amplification, with lower noise, providing an absolute silent background from which music has a more holographic, three-dimensional, life-like character
Thoroughly Implemented Power Supply: A thoroughly implemented power supply design is utilized so that the Primare I25 can operate effortlessly at its fullest effectiveness. The power supply has been carefully selected, meticulously crafted, and strategically inserted into the I25 integrated amplifier.
- Switch Mode Power Supply: Given the speed with which the UFPD 2 amplifier module is able to deliver power to a speaker a switch mode power supply was the only choice in that it allows for rapidly varying demand, providing much more stable voltage, with ancillary capacitive storage to meet peak transient burst requirements.
- Active Power-Factory Correction (APFC): This newly developed Active Power-Factor Correction (APFC) converter is as much as 5% more efficient than past supplies, and comprises dual PFC converters 180 degrees out of phase from each other. AFPC is used to avoid input current harmonics, thereby minimizing interference with other devices being powered from the same source. This reduces the total current ripple and improves EMC (Electromotive Compatibility), while current ripple at the output of the PFC converter is also reduced, which decreases stress within the circuit for prolonged life. Additionally, the supply operates in what is called "transition mode", minimizing switching losses and improving overall efficiency in delivering power to the UFPD 2 amplification module.
Simple Circuitry Design: The I25 utilizes simple circuitry design and architecture with ultra-short signal paths, double-sided circuit boards, and surface-mount components for natural and unaltered sound.
- Ultra-Short Signal Paths: Ultra-short signal paths are used so that each individual component and sub circuit operates sympathetically to achieve a cohesive whole. Elegant and simple electrical designs are used in even the most complex product, utilizing ultra-short signal paths with all gain in one device whenever possible. Ultimately, this results in fewer, higher quality parts for a reduction in associated distortions and an increase in overall electrical efficiency.
- Double-Sided Circuit Board Construction: 2 and 4-layer double-sided circuit board construction allows for the most direct and efficient layout of circuit components not only for the shortest signal path, but also to more easily achieve a sympathetic layout of circuit and sub-circuit components for best performance.
- Surface-Mount Components: Surface-mount components are used whenever possible as this allows for direct connection of the circuit device or component to the circuit board trace with the solder being used solely to mechanically hold the part in place. The elimination of the small metal lead or wire at each connection point in a more conventional large scale circuit device or component cumulatively shortens the signal path.
Analog Inputs & Outputs: The Primare I25 is outfitted with analog inputs and outputs. There are five stereo RCA analog audio inputs, a stero RCA line-level output, and a stereo RCA pre-out. The analog inputs can be set to a fixed or variable gain. The variable gain is adjustable from -30dB to 0dB in 1dB increments. The stereo RCA line output can be used for audio dubbing, while the stereo RCA pre-out can be used to connect a powered subwoofer or external power amplifier.
- There is no phono input. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need a turntable with a built-in preamplifier or an external phono preamp (sold separately).
- This unit is not equipped with a built-in DAC and there are no digital audio inputs.
Binding Posts: The Primare I25 is equipped with four heavy-duty, gold-plated binding post terminals to connect a single pair of loudspeakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). You can connect a single pair of 4 ohm to 8 ohm speakers.
Volume Settings: The integrated amp has a volume range of 0 to 99. You can adjust the units start up volume (0-60), maximum volume (0-99), and mute volume level (0-30).
Auto-Sense & Auto Standby: The Auto-Sense function automatically turns on the integrated amp when it sense an audio signal. The unit will enter Standby automatically when there is no audio signal and no user interaction for 10, 15, or 20 minutes. These functions can also be turned off.
Remote Control: The Primare I25 comes with an IR remote controls, plus features IR input/output connections, a 12V Trigger output, and a RS232 port.
- IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the I25 integrated amplifier. The remote can also be used to control other Primare components, such as a CD or network player.
- IR Input/Output: The IR input (3.5mm) and IR output (3.5mm) can be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) and compatible Primare products.
- 12V Trigger Out: The 12V Trigger output (3.5mm) allows the I25 integrated amp to switch on other devices, such as the Primare DD35 CD transport.
- RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the I25 integrated amp to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).
Front-Panel Display: The units front-panel display indicates source input, volume level, and other menu settings. The Front-panel display also shows song/artist/album information (no album art). You can adjust the brightness of the display; set it to High, Mid, Low, or Off. There is also an Auto-Dim function that automatically dims the display after 1, 5, or 10 minutes of no user interaction.