About the Primare I25 Prisma
A sweet spot in the innovative Prisma lineup
A sweet spot in the innovative Prisma lineup
Primare's I25 Prisma has most of amplifier power of their top-of-the-line I35 Prisma, as well as the identical DAC and network player, while costing significantly less. If you listen to mostly to digital music sources, the I25 Prisma and a good pair of speakers are all you need to discover — or re-discover — how compelling 2-channel listening can be.
About the only thing the I25 Prisma lacks is a turntable input, and you can fix that by adding Primare's excellent R35 phono preamp. And if your system is based on conventional sources like a CD player, consider the analog-only I25, which lacks the DAC and network player.
Primare's Prisma network player does it all, and does it well
Prisma is actually a bundle of technologies that provides a broad range of network music player features and functionality. It makes it easy to discover, explore, and share high-performance music playback, whether the source is stored or streamed, wired or wireless. Whether you're listening to Spotify® or files from your NAS drive, the Prisma control app provides total system management from your mobile device.
The I25 Prisma also features Chromecast built-in, a streaming portal that lets you connect directly to hundreds of streaming applications. Chromecast built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality. It's even possible to enjoy high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz) from services like TIDAL and Qobuz. The I25 Prisma is also Roon Ready (firmware update required).
Prisma is simply one of the most complete and well-thought-out network players we've seen. And the built-in high-performance 32-bit AKM DAC presents virtually any digital music source with a level of clarity and detail you may not have experienced before.
Primare's refined Class D amp technology
The I25 Prisma delivers 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and doubles that to 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms. How can an amp of such modest size and weight generate so much power? Primare's Class D amplifier technology. Compact, cool-running Class D amps are known for providing loads of instantaneous current with extremely low distortion, but some audiophiles felt that earlier Class D designs didn't sound as rich and dimensional as the best conventional amps.
Primare has been refining their Class D technology for over ten years, resulting in their latest UFPD 2 (Ultra Fast Power Device) amplifier module. This module is actually a balanced configuration of four discrete amplifiers — two per channel. It allows the I25 Prisma to produce concert-level dynamics with most speakers — even power-hungry 4-ohm designs.
No matter what kinds of music you listen to, you'll find the I25 Prisma's sound to be fast, clean, and agile. Reviewers also frequently praise Primare's Class D amps for sounding unusually smooth and refined.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.01% THD
- 200 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms
- signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- proprietary UFPD 2 (Ultra Fast Power Device) Class D amplifier technology
- high-efficiency, low-noise switching power supply with APFC (Active Power-Factor Correction)
- premium high-performance AKM AK4497EQ DAC plays high-res digital music files (PCM up to 32-bit/768kHz; DSD up to 11.2MHz)
- compatible file types: WAV, LPCM, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4 (AAC), WMA, OGG, and DSD
- Prisma network player controls stored and streamed media, whether wired or wireless
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- free Primare Prisma app for iOS® and Android™ devices offers easy control for playback of stored and streamed media, setup, and settings adjustments
- provides multi-room, multi-zone control between other Prisma enabled devices
- Spotify® Connect support (Spotify app and premium account required)
- Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud via compatible devices and apps, including high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- controllable with Google Assistant-compatible voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay® lets you stream directly from an iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac®, or computer running iTunes® (AirPlay 2 support coming via future firmware update)
- built-in Bluetooth® for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Roon Ready: catalog, control, and discover music via subscription-based Roon software (Roon support coming via future firmware update)
- supports DLNA and UPnP™ (Universal Plug 'n' Play) high-resolution wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer, or from a NAS drive
- 6 digital audio inputs (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 4 Toslink optical
- 2 coaxial
- 1 USB Type-B input for connecting a PC or Mac (accepts PCM up to 32-bit/768kHz; DSD up to 11.2MHz)
- 1 USB Type-A input for connecting a thumb drive (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 2 Ethernet ports (LAN in/LAN out) for connecting to a home network (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 1 coaxial digital audio output
- 5 stereo RCA analog inputs
- 2 stereo RCA analog outputs (one line out w/fixed volume for dubbing; one pre-out w/volume control for connecting an amplifier or powered subwoofer)
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and pin connectors
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output allows the I25 Prisma to switch on other devices, such as Primare's DD35 CD transport
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-15/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 16-9/16"D
- weight: 24.2 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS20I25PRSMBLK
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare I25 Prisma
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||100|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||200|
|Minimum Impedance||N/A ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||PCM, DSD|
|Total Analog Inputs||5|
|Optical Digital Inputs||4 Toslink|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA (2)|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|