About the Primare I35
A wolf in sheep's clothing
A wolf in sheep's clothing
If you judged the Primare I35 based solely on its elegant looks, you might expect it to sound a bit restrained or polite. Not at all. This powerful integrated amp has the ability to convey the full range of music's energy and emotion. It can produce concert-level dynamics with all but the largest, most power-hungry floor-standing speakers.
Primare describes the I35 as an "all analog" integrated amplifier. On the rear panel you'll find five sets of analog stereo inputs: two balanced XLR and three unbalanced RCA. The I35 doesn't include a built-in DAC for decoding digital music sources. If you need that capability, check out Primare's I35 Prisma, which has a DAC along with the terrific Prisma network player.
Primare's refined Class D amp technology
The I35 delivers 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and a massive 300 watts per channel into 4 ohms. How can an amp of such modest size and weight generate so much power? Primare's Class D amplifier technology. Class D is known for providing loads of instantaneous current with extremely low distortion, but some audiophiles felt that earlier Class D designs didn't sound as rich and dimensional as the best conventional amps.
Primare has been refining their Class D technology for over ten years, resulting in their latest UFPD 2 (Ultra Fast Power Device) amplifier module. This module is actually a balanced configuration of four discrete amplifiers — two per channel.
No matter what kinds of music you listen to, you'll find the I35's sound to be fast, clean, and agile. Reviewers also frequently praise Primare's Class D amps for sounding unusually smooth and refined.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- 150 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.01% THD
- 300 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms
- signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- proprietary UFPD 2 (Ultra Fast Power Device) Class D amplifier technology
- high-efficiency, low-noise switching power supply with APFC (Active Power-Factor Correction)
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- 2 stereo balanced XLR inputs
- 3 stereo unbalanced RCA inputs
- 2 stereo RCA analog outputs (one line out w/fixed volume for dubbing; one pre-out w/volume control for connecting an amplifier or powered subwoofer)
- no phono input to connect a turntable, consider adding Primare's R35 phono preamp
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and pin connectors
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output allows the I35 to switch on other devices
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-15/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 16-9/16"D
- weight: 24.2 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS30I35BLK
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare I35
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||150|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||300|
|Minimum Impedance||N/A ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||No|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||5|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA (2)|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|