About the Primare NP5 Prisma
A network player for anyone and any system
A network player for anyone and any system
Already have an amp or receiver you love? Add smart, versatile wireless music playback with the Primare NP5 Prisma, and give it new life.
Primare's versatile Prisma network player is built into a number of the company's integrated amps, preamps, and CD players. It's also available as an add-on device — the NP5 Prisma. Small enough to slip unnoticed into nearly any system, the NP5 Prisma can help bring streaming music to any product with a digital input, whether stereo or multichannel, Primare or another brand.
When it comes to streaming music, Prisma does it all, and does it well
Prisma is actually a bundle of technologies that provides a broad range of network music player features and functionality. It makes it easy to discover, explore, and share high-performance music playback, whether the source is stored or streamed, wired or wireless. Whether you're listening to Spotify® or files from your NAS drive, the Prisma control app provides total system management from your mobile device.
The NP5 Prisma also features Chromecast built-in, a streaming portal that lets you connect directly to hundreds of streaming applications. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality. It's even possible to enjoy high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz) from services like TIDAL and Qobuz. The NP5 Prisma is also Roon Ready (firmware update required).
The NP5 Prisma connects to your home network via Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet. The unit's internal antennas and plastic case allow uncluttered wireless reception for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- network audio player connects to any existing home audio system with a coaxial or Toslink optical digital audio input
- connects to your home network via Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet
- compatible file types: WAV, LPCM, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4 (AAC), WMA, OGG, and DSD
- plays music from your networked storage devices, networked computers, a connected USB drive, or streaming music services
- provides multi-room, multi-zone control between other Prisma enabled devices
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- free Primare Prisma app for iOS® and Android™ devices offers easy control for playback of stored and streamed media, setup, and settings adjustments
- Spotify® Connect support (Spotify app and premium account required)
- Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud via compatible devices and apps, including high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- controllable with Google Assistant-compatible voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay® lets you stream directly from an iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac®, or computer running iTunes® (AirPlay 2 support coming via future firmware update)
- built-in Bluetooth® for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Roon Ready: catalog, control, and discover music via subscription-based Roon software (Roon support coming via future firmware update)
- supports DLNA and UPnP™ (Universal Plug 'n' Play) high-resolution wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer, or from a NAS drive
- 1 USB Type-A input for connecting a thumb drive (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- Ethernet port for connecting to a home network (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 1 coaxial digital audio output
- 1 Toslink optical digital audio output
- RS-232 port for controlling the NP5 from compatible Primare components
Dimensions and warranty:
- 5-5/8"W x 1-7/16"H x 5-15/16"D
- weight: 1.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRINP5PRSBLK
What's in the box:
- Network audio player
- AC power adapter
- RS232 cable
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Primare NP5 Prisma reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare NP5 Prisma
Network Audio Player: The Primare NP5 Prisma network audio player allows you to add AirPlay, Chromecast built-in, Spotify Connect, DLNA/UPnP, and Bluetooth to your existing home entertainment system featuring an optical (toslink) or coaxial (RCA) digital input. The free Prisma App (for Apple iOS and Android) allow for convenient and seamless control from your compatible smartphone or tablet deivce. Additional features include multiroom audio capability, optional voice control via Google Assistant, a USB-A port, and RS232 control.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Primare NP5 Prisma network player offers wired and wireless network connectivity. It's outfitted with an Ethernet (RJ45) jack for a hardwired connection to your network router. It also features built-in dual-band 2.4/5GHZ WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wireless connection to your WiFi router.
Note: A network connection is required for Chromecast Built-In , AirPlay, Spotify Connect, DLNA/UPnP, and Roon.
Prisma App: The Prisma app (for Apple iOS 8.1+ and Android OS 4.3+) allows for the configuration and control of virtually all functions of the NP5 Prisma network player over your local area network from your compatible mobile device.
- Configuration & Setup: The app allows you to configure and setup the NP5 Prisma network audio player to your home network. You can also manage zones to connect with other Prisma devices round your home. In addition, you can adjust volume and mute level. In addition, you can enable auto standby and wake up.
- Control & Playback: From the app you can control input selection, play/pause, previous/next track, random/repeat, volume adjustment and mute. You also have access to stored music files on your local network devices. You can search by artist album, track, title, or even playlist. The app also display track information such as source, duration, bitrate, bit-depth, sampling rate, format, and file size.
Note: The NP5 Prisma and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device must be on the same home network.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the NP5 Prisma network player. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Primare NP5 Prisma.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the NP5 Prisma. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the network player.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The NP5 Prisma and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the NP5 Prisma network player from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 50 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) and from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the Primare NP5 Prisma, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the network player or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library.
Note: AirPlay 2 will be supported through a future firmware update (no ETA available).
Local Network Music Libraries: The Primare NP5 Prisma supports DLNA and UPnP for wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer. Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files. You'll be able to control and browse your computer's local music library from the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. The Prisma App will also display song title, artist name, album name, and album art.
- DLNA: The NP5 Prisma is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC or DLNA compliant NAS through the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- UPnP: With support for UPnP (Universal Plug-And-Play), you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the NP5 Prisma. The network device needs to running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service; free and paid UPnP services are available. Some systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service.
Note: Your digital music files must be stored locally on your computer, NAS drive, or other DLNA/UPnP device.
Roon Ready:Support for Roon will require a future firmware update (no ETA available). Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Primare NP5 Prisma and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the available Prisma and Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the NP5 Prisma or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Primare NP5 Prisma network player. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or other device, located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Primare NP5 Prisma features built-in Bluetooth with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP), playback control (AVRCP) and multi-device pairing (SSP). The NP5 Prisma network player can be paired with a variety of Bluetooth-enabled devices; including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. The Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 33'.
- Wireless Music Streaming: You are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the NP5 Prisma network player. You can use the included remote to control Volume, Play/Pause and Skip functions. All other playback control, search functions, and song/artist/album display will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) allows devices to be paired without entering PIN codes. The NP5 Prisma remembers multiple devices and connects automatically to the last paired device when turned on again. Only one device can be connected to the network player for playback at a time.
- The network player does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the NP5 Prisma.
USB-A Port: The Primare NP5 Prisma features a rear-panel USB-A port for connection of a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdriver or hard disk drive (some hard disk drives will require external AC power). Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Outputs: The NP5 Prisma is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital output and coaxial (RCA) digital output to connect to your existing AV receiver, integrated amplifier, powered speakers, or home entertainment system.
RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the NP Prisma CD player to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).