About the Primare PRE35 Prisma
The control center of a no-compromise audio system
The control center of a no-compromise audio system
Primare's PRE35 Prisma preamplifier is an exceptional system control center, providing endless ways to enjoy all of your 2-channel music. For digital music sources there's an excellent DAC section, along with one of the most complete and well-thought-out network players we've seen. The PRE35 Prisma's back panel bristles with a comprehensive array of connections including both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs.
About the only thing this preamp lacks is a turntable input, and vinyl fans can fix that by adding Primare's R35 phono preamp, which is an ideal match, both sonically and visually. And if your system is based on conventional sources like a CD player, consider the analog-only PRE35 preamp, which lacks the DAC and network player.
The PRE35 Prisma deserves to be used with high-quality amplification, and it achieves a special synergy when paired with Primare's powerhouse A35.2 amplifier.
A preamp/DAC offers many advantages
The PRE35 Prisma handles the tasks of a conventional preamp — selecting and switching among your music sources — with precision and ergonomic ease. The carefully crafted fully balanced circuit design keeps signal paths as short as possible, resulting in exceptionally low noise and distortion.
By placing the DAC in the same case as the preamp, you save on the cost of interconnect cables while keeping the signal cleaner. The PRE35 Prisma's built-in high-performance 32-bit AKM DAC was engineered with the latest audio processing. Feed it digital signals from your CD player or Blu-ray player and enjoy a level of clarity and detail you may not have experienced before. If streamed or downloaded music is a big part of your listening, you'll love the easy access that Prisma provides.
Primare's Prisma network player does it all, and does it well
Prisma is actually a bundle of technologies that provides a broad range of network music player features and functionality. It makes it easy to discover, explore, and share high-performance music playback, whether the source is stored or streamed, wired or wireless. Whether you're listening to Spotify® or files from your NAS drive, the Prisma control app provides total system management from your mobile device.
The PRE35 Prisma also features Chromecast built-in, a streaming portal that lets you connect directly to hundreds of streaming applications. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality. It's even possible to enjoy high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz) from services like TIDAL and Qobuz. The PRE35 Prisma is also Roon Ready (firmware update required).
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- fully balanced stereo preamplifier with digital and analog inputs to handle a variety of music sources
- premium high-performance AKM AK4497EQ DAC plays high-res digital music files (PCM up to 32-bit/768kHz; DSD up to 11.2MHz)
- compatible file types: WAV, LPCM, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4 (AAC), WMA, OGG, and DSD
- Primare Prisma network player controls stored and streamed media, whether wired or wireless
- support for WiSA 2-channel wireless network speaker connection system (requires future firmware update)
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- free Primare Prisma app for iOS® and Android™ devices offers easy control for playback of stored and streamed media, setup, and settings adjustments
- provides multi-room, multi-zone control between other Prisma enabled devices
- Spotify® Connect support (Spotify app and premium account required)
- Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud via compatible devices and apps, including high-res music (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- controllable with Google Assistant-compatible voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay® lets you stream directly from an iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac®, or computer running iTunes® (AirPlay 2 support coming via future firmware update)
- built-in Bluetooth® for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Roon Ready: catalog, control, and discover music via subscription-based Roon software (Roon support coming via future firmware update)
- supports DLNA and UPnP™ (Universal Plug 'n' Play) high-resolution wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer, or from a NAS drive
- 6 digital audio inputs (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 4 Toslink optical
- 2 coaxial
- 1 USB Type-B input for connecting a PC or Mac (accepts PCM up to 32-bit/768kHz; DSD up to 11.2MHz)
- 1 USB Type-A input for connecting a thumb drive (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 2 Ethernet ports (LAN in/LAN out) for connecting to a home network (accepts PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 5.6MHz)
- 1 coaxial digital audio output
- 2 stereo balanced XLR analog inputs
- 3 stereo unbalanced RCA analog inputs
- 2 stereo balanced XLR analog outputs
- 2 stereo unbalanced RCA analog outputs (one line out w/fixed volume for dubbing; one pre-out w/volume control for connecting an amplifier or powered subwoofer)
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output allows the I35 Prisma to switch on other devices, such as Primare's DD35 CD transport
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and specifications:
- total harmonic distortion: 0.01%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 105 dB
- 16-15/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 17-15/16"D
- weight: 24.9 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS30PRE35PRSMBLK
What's in the box:
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (C25)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Bluetooth/WiFi antennas
- 59" Mono-minijack cable
- AC polarity pen
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare PRE35 Prisma
Features & specs
|Signal to Noise Ratio||105|
|Number of Inputs||10|
|Network Streaming Services||via Chromecast|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
PRE35 Prisma Preamplifier: The Primare PRE35 Prisma incorporates a high-performance DAC (digital-to-analog converter) and network player module within a fully balanced preamplifier platform to create a versatile system control center for your home audio entertainment. The PRE35 Prisma preamplifier provides umprecedented low noise and distortion free selection and transmission of any analog input, as a result of the carefully crafted fully balanced circuit design benefitting from the use of a 4-layer main board to achieve the shortest possible signal path. The PRE35 Prisma offers a comprehensive input and output options, featuring both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA connection, as well as optical and coaxial digital inputs; plus USB, Bluetooth, and Network connectivity.
Simple Circuitry Design: The Primare PRE35 Prisma utilizes simple circuitry design and architecture with ultra-short signal paths, double-sided circuit boards, and surface-mount components for natural and unaltered sound.
- Ultra-Short Signal Paths: Ultra-short signal paths are used so that each individual component and sub circuit operates sympathetically to achieve a cohesive whole. Elegant and simple electrical designs are used in even the most complex product, utilizing ultra-short signal paths with all gain in one device whenever possible. Ultimately, this results in fewer, higher quality parts for a reduction in associated distortions and an increase in overall electrical efficiency.
- Double-Sided Circuit Board Construction: 2 and 4-layer double-sided circuit board construction allows for the most direct and efficient layout of circuit components not only for the shortest signal path, but also to more easily achieve a sympathetic layout of circuit and sub-circuit components for best performance.
- Surface-Mount Components: Surface-mount components are used whenever possible as this allows for direct connection of the circuit device or component to the circuit board trace with the solder being used solely to mechanically hold the part in place. The elimination of the small metal lead or wire at each connection point in a more conventional large scale circuit device or component cumulatively shortens the signal path.
Premium 32-Bit DAC: At the heart of the Primare PRE35 Prima's DAC stage is the AKM's Verita series, the AK4497EQ chipset, a premium 32-bit stereo DAC, incorporating the companies VELVET SOUNDTM technology, and capable of achieving -128dB (stereo) S/N and -116dB THD+N, while supporting up to 768kHz PCM and 11.2MHz DSD. This ability to handle higher resolution file formats will allow for the potential of future software upgrades.
Balanced & Unbalanced Connectivity: The Primare PRE35 Prisma preamplifier is equipped with both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs, outputs, and pre-outs. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
- XLR & RCA Analog Inputs: There are two pair pair of stereo balanced XLR inputs and three pair of stereo unbalanced RCA inputs to connect your external analog audio sources.
- XLR & RCA Pre-Outs: There are two pair of stereo balanced XLR pre-outs and one pair of unbalanced stereo RCA pre-outs to connect an external power amplifier or amplifiers.
- RCA Line Output: A stereo RCA line-level output that can be used for audio dubbing.
Note: There is no phono input. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need a turntable with a built-in preamplifier or an external phono preamp (sold separately).
Digital Inputs & Output: The PRE35 Prisma is outfitted with four optical (toslink) digital inputs, two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs, and one coaxial (RCA) digital output. The digital inputs and output support up to 24-bit/192kHz stereo (2ch) PCM audio.
Note: The digital input and outputs do not support multichannel audio formats, such as Dolby Digital & DTS.
WiSA Ready: Via a future Firmware update (no ETA), the PRE35 Prisma will support WiSA. Thanks to WiSA technology you can create a wireless 2ch speaker system with low-latency (5.1 milliseconds), seamless synchronization (+/-1.0 microseconds), and high-fidelity audio (24-bit/96kHz). WiSA has been adopted by a number of speaker manufacturers - including B&O, Harmon Kardon, Golden Ear, Klipsch, Platin, and System Audio - with many more to come.
Fixed or Variable Gain: The analog & digital inputs can be set to a fixed or variable gain. The variable gain is adjustable from -30dB to 0dB in 1dB increments.
Volume Settings: The preamplifier has a volume range of 0 to 99. You can adjust the units start up volume (0-60), maximum volume (0-99), and mute volume level (0-30).
Auto-Sense & Auto Standby: The Auto-Sense function automatically turns on the preamplifier when it sense an audio signal. The unit will enter Standby automatically when there is no audio signal and no user interaction for 10, 15, or 20 minutes. These functions can also be turned off.
Network & Multiroom Audio
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Primare PRE35 Prisma preamplifier offers wired and wireless network connectivity. It's outfitted with two Ethernet (RJ45) jacks (LAN In/Lan Out) for a hardwired connection to your network router and a wired daisy-chain network connection to another network enabled device. It also features built-in dual-band 2.4/5GHZ WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wireless connection to your WiFi router. Two antennas are included and must be installed to make a wireless WiFi connection.
Note: A network connection is required for Chromecast Built-In , AirPlay, Spotify Connect, DLNA/UPnP, and Roon.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) and from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the Primare PRE35 Prisma, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the preamplifier or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library.
Note: AirPlay 2 will be supported through a future firmware update (no ETA available).
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the PRE35 Prisma preamplifier. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Primare PRE35 Prisma.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the PRE35 Prisma. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the preamplifier.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The PRE35 Prisma and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the PRE35 Prisma preamplifier from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 50 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Local Network Music Libraries: The Primare PRE35 Prisma supports DLNA and UPnP for wireless streaming from a Windows or Mac computer. Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files. You'll be able to control and browse your computer's local music library from the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. The Prisma App will also display song title, artist name, album name, and album art.
- DLNA: The PRE35 Prisma is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC or DLNA compliant NAS through the Prisma app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- UPnP: With support for UPnP (Universal Plug-And-Play), you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the PRE35 Prisma. The network device needs to running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service; free and paid UPnP services are available. Some systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service.
Note: Your digital music files must be stored locally on your computer, NAS drive, or other DLNA/UPnP device.
Roon Ready:Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Primare PRE35 Prisma and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the available Prisma and Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the PRE35 Prisma or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
- Support for Roon will require a future firmware update (no ETA available).
- To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Primare PRE35 Prisma preamplifier. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or other device, located on the network within your home.
USB & Bluetooth Integration
USB-A Port: The Primare PRE35 Prisma features a rear-panel USB-A port for connection of a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdriver or hard disk drive (some hard disk drives will require external AC power). Its capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz for WAV, AIFF, FLAC, and ALAC Hi-Res music files; up to 128/5.6MHz for DSD lossless audio files, and up to 320kbps/48kHz for MP3, AAC and WMA compressed music files.
USB-B Port: The PRE35 Prisma is also equipped with a rear-panel USB-B port for connection to your Windows PC or Mac computer, so you can play music files stored on your laptop or desktop through the Primare preamplifier. The USB-B input allows playback of PCM (up to 32-bit/768kHz) and DSD (up to 256/11.2MHz) music files.
- Windows PC: Supports connection of Windows PC with 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (32/64-bit) installed. You will also need to install the Primare Xmos audio driver that can be found on Primare's website.
- Mac Computer: Supports connection of Mac computer with OSX 10.4 or later (no separate driver is required).
Note: The music files need to be stored locally on your Windows PC or Mac, and not on the cloud.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Primare PRE35 Prisma features built-in Bluetooth with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP), playback control (AVRCP) and multi-device pairing (SSP). The PRE35 Prisma preamplifier can be paired with a variety of Bluetooth-enable devices; including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. The Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 33'.
- Wireless Music Streaming: You are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the PRE35 Prisma preamplifier. You can use the included remote to control Volume, Play/Pause and Skip functions. All other playback control, search functions, and song/artist/album display will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) allows devices to be paired without entering PIN codes. The PRE35 Prisma remembers multiple devices and connects automatically to the last paired device when turned on again. Only one device can be connected to the preamplifier for playback at a time.
- The preamplifier does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the PRE35 Prisma.
Remote & App Control
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the PRE35 Prisma preamplifier. The remote can also be used to control other Primare components, such as a CD or network player. The Prisma App, Google Home App, and your Apple iOS or Android device will be required to operate certain network sources, features and functions.
Prisma App: The Prisma app (for Apple iOS 8.1+ and Android OS 4.3+) allows for the configuration and control of virtually all functions of the PRE35 Prisma preamplifier, duplicating and enhancing the front-panel and remote control systems, over your local area network from your compatible mobile device.
- Configuration & Setup: The app allows you to customize inputs and select media severs, as well as enable or disable inputs, auto-sense input selection, choose between fixed or variable volume output, and adjust individual input gain. You can also manage zones to connect with other Prisma devices round your home. In addition, you can adjust balanced, startup volume, maximum volume, and mute level. You can even adjust the front-panel display's illumination level and enable auto-standby and wake-up on input signal.
- Control & Playback: From the app you can control input selection, play/pause, previous/next track, random/repeat, volume adjustment and mute. You also have access to stored music files on your local network devices. You can search by artist album, track, title, or even playlist. The app also display track information such as source, duration, bitrate, bit-depth, sampling rate, format, and file size.
Note: The PRE35 Prisma preamplifier and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device must be on the same home network.
IR Input/Output: The IR input (3.5mm) and IR output (3.5mm) can be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) and compatible Primare products.
12V Trigger Out: The 12V Trigger output (3.5mm) allows the PRE35 Prisma preamplifier to switch on other devices, such as the Primare DD35 CD transport.
RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the PRE35 Prisma preamplifier to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).
Front-Panel Display: The units front-panel display indicates source input, volume level, and other menu settings. The Front-panel display also shows song/artist/album information (no album art). You can adjust the brightness of the display; set it to High, Mid, Low, or Off. There is also an Auto-Dim function that automatically dims the display after 1, 5, or 10 minutes of no user interaction.