About the Primare PRE35
An all-analog preamp for traditional audiophiles
An all-analog preamp for traditional audiophiles
Primare's PRE35 preamplifier takes me back to simpler times when my audio system depended on just two sources: a turntable and a CD player. That type of system requires a preamp that performs its control center duties while keeping noise and distortion at vanishingly low levels. Primare's carefully crafted fully balanced circuit design achieves that, presenting your 2-channel music with the smallest details intact.
Both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs are provided for connecting to a wide range of source components and power amplifiers. The PRE35 doesn't come with a turntable input, but vinyl fans can fix that by adding Primare's R35 phono preamp, which is an ideal match, both sonically and visually. And if you need a more digitally-aware preamp, consider the PRE35 Prisma preamp/network player, which includes a first-rate DAC.
The PRE35 deserves to be used with high-quality amplification, and it achieves a special synergy when paired with Primare's powerhouse A35.2 amplifier.
Stylish sound from Scandinavia
Founded in Sweden in the mid '80s, Primare relies on a talented team of designers to create its innovative high-end audio components. Among audiophiles, their equipment is admired both for its exceptional sound quality and its elegant appearance.
- fully balanced all-analog stereo preamplifier
- balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs
- front-panel OLED display
- remote control
- 2 stereo balanced XLR inputs
- 3 stereo unbalanced RCA inputs
- 2 stereo balanced XLR outputs
- 2 stereo unbalanced RCA outputs (one line out w/fixed volume for dubbing; one pre-out w/volume control for connecting an amplifier or powered subwoofer)
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system and compatible Primare products
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output allows the PRE35 to switch on other devices
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems, like Crestron
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and specifications:
- total harmonic distortion: 0.01%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 105 dB
- 16-15/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 17-15/16"D
- weight: 24.9 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PRIS30PRE35BLK
What's in the box:
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (C25)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 59" Mono-minijack cables
- AC polarity pen
- Thank You Letter
- Safety And Warning Notification
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Primare PRE35
Features & specs
|Phono Input Type||N/A|
|Optical Digital Inputs||0|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||0|
|Digital XLR Inputs||0|
|USB Type A||0|
|USB Type B||0|
|Optical Digital Outputs||0|
|Coaxial Digital Outputs||0|
|Digital XLR Outputs||0|
|Discrete Sub Outs||N/A|
|Audio Features & Specs|
|S/N Ratio (Phono)||0|
|S/N Ratio (Line)||105|
|DAC Bit Depth||N/A|
|DAC Sample Rate||N/A|
|Home Theater Bypass||No|
|Bluetooth Formats Supported||N/A|
|Apple Control App||No|
|Android Control App||No|
|12 Volt Trigger||Out|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
PRE35 Preamplifier: The Primare PRE35 is a fully balanced preamplifier provides umprecedented low noise and distortion free selection and transmission of any analog input, as a result of the carefully crafted fully balanced circuit design benefitting from the use of a 4-layer main board to achieve the shortest possible signal path. The PRE35 features both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA connectivity.
Simple Circuitry Design: The Primare PRE35 utilizes simple circuitry design and architecture with ultra-short signal paths, double-sided circuit boards, and surface-mount components for natural and unaltered sound.
- Ultra-Short Signal Paths: Ultra-short signal paths are used so that each individual component and sub circuit operates sympathetically to achieve a cohesive whole. Elegant and simple electrical designs are used in even the most complex product, utilizing ultra-short signal paths with all gain in one device whenever possible. Ultimately, this results in fewer, higher quality parts for a reduction in associated distortions and an increase in overall electrical efficiency.
- Double-Sided Circuit Board Construction: 2 and 4-layer double-sided circuit board construction allows for the most direct and efficient layout of circuit components not only for the shortest signal path, but also to more easily achieve a sympathetic layout of circuit and sub-circuit components for best performance.
- Surface-Mount Components: Surface-mount components are used whenever possible as this allows for direct connection of the circuit device or component to the circuit board trace with the solder being used solely to mechanically hold the part in place. The elimination of the small metal lead or wire at each connection point in a more conventional large scale circuit device or component cumulatively shortens the signal path.
Balanced & Unbalanced Connectivity: The Primare PRE35 preamplifier is equipped with both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs, outputs, and pre-outs. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
- XLR & RCA Analog Inputs: There are two pair pair of stereo balanced XLR inputs and three pair of stereo unbalanced RCA inputs to connect your external analog audio sources.
- XLR & RCA Pre-Outs: There are two pair of stereo balanced XLR pre-outs and one pair of unbalanced stereo RCA pre-outs to connect an external power amplifier or amplifiers.
- RCA Line Output: A stereo RCA line-level output that can be used for audio dubbing.
Note: There is no phono input. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need a turntable with a built-in preamplifier or an external phono preamp (sold separately).
Fixed or Variable Gain: The balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analoginputs can be set to a fixed or variable gain. The variable gain is adjustable from -30dB to 0dB in 1dB increments.
Remote Control: The Primare PRE35 preamplifier includes an IR remote, plus offers IR input/output, 12V trigger out, and RS232 port connectitivity.
- IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the PRE35 preamplifier. The remote can also be used to control other Primare components, such as a CD or network player. The Prisma App, Google Home App, and your Apple iOS or Android device will be required to operate certain network sources, features and functions.
- IR Input/Output: The IR input (3.5mm) and IR output (3.5mm) can be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately) and compatible Primare products.
- 12V Trigger Out: The 12V Trigger output (3.5mm) allows the PRE35 preamplifier to switch on other devices, such as the Primare DD35 CD transport.
- RS232 Port: The RS232 port allows you to connect the PRE35 preamplifier to a third-party home automation control systems, such as Crestron (sold separately).
Front-Panel Display: The units front-panel display indicates source input, volume level, and other menu settings. The Front-panel display also shows song/artist/album information (no album art). You can adjust the brightness of the display; set it to High, Mid, Low, or Off. There is also an Auto-Dim function that automatically dims the display after 1, 5, or 10 minutes of no user interaction.
Volume Settings: The preamplifier has a volume range of 0 to 99. You can adjust the units start up volume (0-60), maximum volume (0-99), and mute volume level (0-30).
Auto-Sense & Auto Standby: The Auto-Sense function automatically turns on the preamplifier when it sense an audio signal. The unit will enter Standby automatically when there is no audio signal and no user interaction for 10, 15, or 20 minutes. These functions can also be turned off.