About the iFi Audio Aurora
Unique by design
Unique by design
Lead iFi designer Julian Haziza stated that they wanted their Aurora wireless powered speaker "to make visual noise. We don't want to make an object that will disappear." The Aurora's striking aluminum and bamboo cabinet ensures it won't. And its complement of custom drivers, hybrid amplifier, and advanced digital circuitry treat you to beautifully detailed sound.
The speaker features a variety of high-resolution Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless streaming options, plus an array of analog and digital inputs. And the Aurora's electronics do most of the signal processing in the analog domain, for smooth, natural fluidity.
Yes, that's really a vacuum tube
Behind the front panel, you can see the glow of the Aurora's vacuum tube preamp circuit. This Russian 6N3P tube takes the analog signal straight from the digital-to-analog converter, adding warmth as it adds gain. When you switch the Aurora on, it takes a few seconds fro the tube to warm up. But the resulting sound is worth the wait.
Custom speakers for spacious, detailed sound
The system features eight custom speakers mounted in a low-resonant bamboo cabinet. Four 4-1/2" coated-paper woofers, two front-firing and two side-firing, deliver midrange tones. Two 1.1" soft-dome slik tweeters are mounted at 45º angles to further spread the sound field into the room. Dual down-firing passive bass radiators extend the low range down to 27Hz. The Aurora also has six mics built in to monitor room ambiance. The speakers are adjusted in analog to ensure the sound is always properly balanced.
Analog sound tuning
Whereas most wireless speakers use digital signal processing for sound tuning, the iFi Aurora uses some clever analog technologies that make it sound better and more lifelike:
- SoundSpace helps expand the soundstage beyond the cabinet by adjusting the output level of specific drivers at certain frequencies.
- TrueBass processing works with the two downward-firing passive bass radiators to deliver genuine bass with realistic depth and definition. Dual-level depth control lets you adjust the bass to your taste.
ART (Auto Room Tailoring)
The Aurora also has six mics built in to monitor room ambiance. At the press of a button, the system measures the distance to the surrounding walls using ultrasonic pulses and then adjusts the output of all six drivers accordingly to provide perfectly balanced sound. Once again, adjustments are made in the analog domain, unlike most other room correction systems.
The Aurora is compatible with several high-resolution Bluetooth formats. This lets you get the best sound from a variety of streaming players. The system has aptX decoding for near-CD quality sound, and aptX HD for even better fidelity. It also has Sony's LDAC, a high-resolution Bluetooth format that can stream up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution. AAC decoding gives you high-resolution streaming from Apple® devices.
Wi-Fi and more
The Aurora can connect wirelessly to your home Wi-Fi network. It's controlled through the MUZO Player app, a free download from the Apple® App Store and Google Play. With the app on your smartphone or tablet you can stream music from services like TIDAL and Spotify® (subscriptions required). The system also has Apple AirPlay® built in for streaming directly from iOS® devices. And its DLNA and UPnP support let you stream from your compatible computer or NAS drive.
The Aurora can pretty much handle any music source you have. It has a USB-A port for flash and external hard drives, and a microSD card slot. You can connect your TV to it through an optical digital input, or a Blu-ray player through a coaxial digital input. It also has analog stereo RCA and 3.5mm input jacks. So you could connect a turntable with a built-in preamp, a CD player or tuner, or a portable music player.
Fantastic design and build quality
The Aurora's aluminum frame gives the speaker a sophisticated modern look. And it also positions the cabinet so that the bass radiators are slightly angled to push sound out into the room. The bamboo cabinet holds the speakers in an inert frame to eliminate vibration. And the bamboo slats surrounding them give the piece its distinctive look.
- built-in Bluetooth 5.0
- aptX HD, HWA, ALAC, and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- supports Sony's LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming format
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPod®, or iTunes® on your computer
- Wi-Fi streaming from DLNA-compatible Windows® PCs, Mac® computers, and NAS drives
- up to 32-bit/192kHz streaming audio resolution
- control through MUZO Player app on smartphone or tablet
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- stream music simultaneously to Auroras in different rooms for multi-room audio
- two 1-1/8" silk dome tweeters, four 4-1/2" long-fiber cone drivers, and two down-firing 4-1/2" x 8" steel passive bass radiators
- total system power: 320 watts
- frequency response: 27-40,000 Hz
- high-performance ESS Sabre Hyperstream DAC delivers clear, jitter-free sound from digital sources
- Russian 6N3P vacuum tube preamp for warm analog sound
- 6 built-in microphones monitor room ambience so Aurora can adjust the sound to your space
- stereo RCA input for a receiver or turntable with built-in preamp
- 3.5mm input for setup and connecting a portable music player
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs for a TV, game console, or Blu-ray player
- USB port for listening to music stored on a compatible thumb drive
- microSD card slot (microSD cards available separately)
- Ethernet port for wired connection to your router (cable included)
- requires AC power, cable included
- 24"W x 11"H x 11"D
- weight: 33 lbs
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 302004
What's in the box:
- Wireless audio speaker
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- User Manual
iFi Audio Aurora reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the iFi Audio Aurora
Features & specs
|Aux Input||3.5mm, RCA|
|Digital Input||Optical, Coax|
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4 GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||1.1|
|Tweeter Type||Soft dome|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||4.5|
|Woofer Type||Coated Paper|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||320|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||32-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||192 kHz|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Variety Of Sources
PureEmotion Amplification: The ifi Aurora wireless audio speaker is driven by PureEmotion, an ingenious fusion of amp technologies that are brand new and original to ifi. It delivers a sound that combines purity of tone with a high level of engagement, speeds and dynamics, ensuring the emotional quality of music is delivered in full effect. The PureEmotion amp stage delivers a total of 320W to power the Aurora's custom-made speaker drive units. PureEmotion, ifi's proprietary amp technology, uses a hybrid circuit design that comprises several key stages.
- Preamp Stage: The first of these, the preamp stage, incorporates a Russian 6N3P valve (visible through a window next to the OLED display). This takes the analog audio signal delivered by the Aurora's DAC circuitry (based around a chip from ESS Technology's renowned 32-bit Sabre DAC family) and adds gain in preparation for further amplification, infusing the sound with pure tonality, open imaging and natural fluidity. The 6N3P brings the beauty and life-like sound of tubes into play; unusual for a wireless speaker system.
- ESS Sabre DAC: Discrete The if Aurora wireless audio speaker system utilizes an ESS Sabre Hyperstream DAC chipset (32-bit/192kHz) with time domain jitter eliminator, discrete oscillator and 112dB dynamic range for discerning listeners. The ESS Sabre DAC supports a wide variety of compressed and high resolution audio files.
- Current Multiplier Circuit: The resulting low-level signal then passes to the power amp stage; ifi's "current multiplier circuit". The current multiplier circuit's switching frequency is fixed at an ultra-high level (around 1.5MHz), far beyond the audible frequency spectrum. This results in a high level of efficiency, multiplying the current supplied by the valve several thousandfold, whilst maintaining far greater linearity and lower noise than typical switching amplifiers. Coupled to this is a low-pass circuit and a feedback loop, the latter ensuring the output frequency is ideal for the load, and everything is "clock-locked" via ifi's GMT (Global Master Timing) circuit to ensure unerring precision.
Custom Driver Array: The ifi Aurora features a custom driver array that consists of two 1.1" soft-dome silk tweeters, four 4.5" coated-paper cone woofers, and two 4.5" x 8." rectangular passive radiators. The net result is a seamlessly coherent performance with silky-smooth frequency response, an out-of-the box soundstage and bass that delves far deeper than most all-in-one speaker systems.
- Two 1.1" Soft-Dome Silk Tweeters: The two 1.1" soft-dome silk tweeters, one at each side, cover frequencies from 8kHz to 35kHz. As the treble region is considered to begin at around 5kHz, and the limits of human hearing extend to about 20kHz, the Aurora's high-frequency drivers behave more like super-tweeters than traditional tweeters. With a simple first-order crossover for the smoothest-possible transition and a shallow waveguide to provide time-alignment, these tweeters not only deliver high-frequency sounds such as cymbals but are also critical to the Aurora’s spacious soundstage.
- Four 4.5" Coated-Paper Woofers: There are four 4.5" woofers (two firing from the front and one from each side) made from coated long-fiber paper, a material selected for its optimal balance between stiffness and self-damping. This is coupled to a large magnet, a basket that resonates above the audible range and extensive measures to ensure excursion is controlled and damped mechanically, so that clarity and control are maintained even at high volume levels. Unusually, these four woofers are deployed in a wide-bandwidth role to cover the vast majority of the audible frequency spectrum (60Hz to 8kHz), rolling off towards very low and very high frequencies.
- Dual 4.5" x 8" Passive Radiators: A pair of rectangular 4.5" x 8" passive bass radiators fire downwards from the underside of the cabinet for deep bass down to 27Hz. The diaphragm used by these drivers is formed from a composite of carbon, iron and ethylene-vinyl acetate, a well-damped material enabling the correct resonant frequency to be obtained from a diaphragm of appropriate thickness. This is combined with a self-centering, double-ribbed rubber surround, negating the need for a basket.
Bamboo Cabinet: The ifi Aurora's inert speaker cabinet is made of stiff, well-braced, naturally sound-absorbent bamboo with strategically placed damping material for natural, uncolored sound reproduction.
Analog Sound Tuning: Many of today's wireless audio products use digital signal processing (DSP) to deliver a big, spacious sound from a single speaker. This is an artificial, lossy process that detracts from the sound quality. The clever technologies in the Aurora, avoid this completely as they operate in the analog domain. These analog sound-tuning technologies include SoundSpace and TrueBass.
- SoundSpace: SoundSpace delivers a room-filling sound and gives music a sense of scale and space you wouldn't expect from an all-in-one system. It adjusts the level of output from specific drivers at certain frequencies, giving the Aurora an immersive, room-filling performance and enabling the soundstage to extend beyond the single cabinet. Your music will have a sense of scale and space you simply wouldn't expect from an all-in-one music system.
- TrueBass: TrueBass delivers genuine bass with depth and definition. Everything from cymbals to a bass guitar is conveyed with power and poise. TrueBass, along with two downward-firing bass radiators, all the Aurora to deliver genuine bass with realistic depth and definition. Dual-level depth control means you can adjust the bass response according to taste, down to a deeply impressive 27Hz.
ART (Auto Room Tailoring): ART (Automatic Room Tailoring) is a "room correction" system developed entirely in-house from ifi. With Auto Room Tailoring (ART), the Aurora can auto-configure the speaker array according to its position in the room. The effect is similar to the adjustments made by a sound engineer at a live venue. At the press of a button, six sensors measure the distance to the surrounding walls using ultrasonic sound. Then, a 32-bit ARM Cortex microprocessor adjusts the output from the speaker array to precisely tailor the musical performance. All the adjustments are made strictly in the analog domain, without relying on DSP or feedback in the manner of many other room correction systems. This enables much finer and more accurate tailoring of the sound, reacting to room modes and reflections from walls without attempting to "neutralize" the sound in an unnatural way. Wherever the Aurora is placed - in a large room or a smaller one, in a corner, against a wall or in free space - it always performs at its best with a stunning realism.
Multiroom Audio: Link several Auroras via WiFi to create a multi-room system, playing in-sync or individually through the MUZO Player app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible smartphone or tablet device. Whether you stream from Spotify or Tidal, or surf the infinite number of internet radio stations via TuneIn, the Aurora has your music needs covered throughout your home.
Mounting Options: Ensure that the Aurora is placed on a level, non-slip surface. Never obstruct the unit or place it near any objects or liquids that may damage the unit.
Note: The ifi Aurora does not offer any bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
Power Requirements: The ifi Aurora comes with a detachable 5' AC power cord that will plug into the back of the speaker system and into and AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). It also features a 12V output for connecting to a 12-volt power supply in your vehicle.
Auto Protection Mode: When the Aurora is playing at an excessively high volume, it may enter "Auto-Protection" mode (volume level will be automatically reduced) to avoid "clipping" so that the driver units and the amplifier are not damaged. No harm to the equipment should ensue.
Variety Of Sources
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The ifi Aurora offers a wired or wireless network connection to your home's network router. Its equipped with an Ethernet (RJ45) jack for a hardwired connection to your router. It also features built-in WiFi (802.11n) for a wireless connection to your home's network router. The speaker system is equipped with a WPS button for fast WiFi setup. If your network router is not equipped with a WPS button, you'll need to use the MUZO Player app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible mobile device to set the ifi Aurora speaker system up wirelessly to your home network.
Online Music Services: The ifi Aurora wireless speaker system allows you to access Internet Radio and select online music services (including Tidal and Spotify) through the MUZO Player app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
- Tidal: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers millions of songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the speaker system from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TuneIn Internet Radio: TuenIn includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe. Just select the TuneIn logo from the MUZO app and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
AirPlay The ifi Aurora is compatible with Apple AirPlay. With AirPlay, the Aurora can connect wirelessly to any AirPlay-enabled Apple device. This allows you to stream music wirelessly from your iPhone, iPad, or your computer's (Mac or PC) iTunes library over a WiFi network connection.
- iTunes Streaming: The Aurora is able to stream audio from your computer's iTunes account via AirPlay technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the ifi speaker will appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer & stream music to the speaker system. You will need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to the same network as the Phantom Reactor.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPhone or iPad to the ifi Aurora speaker system. You will need an Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3 or later) connected to the same network as the iFi Aurora.
- Apple Remote App: Using the iTunes Remote App (for Apple iOS 11.4+) on your iPhone or iPad, you don't even need to be in the same room your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles & artist info on your Apple iOS device. Your compatible Apple iOS device will need to remain connected to the same wireless network as the ifi Aurora.
Note: The ifi Aurora wireless speaker system does not support AirPlay 2.
DLNA/UPnP: The ifi Aurora is DLNA and UPnP compatible, which enables you to play your digital music library stored on DLNA/UPnP servers (such as a Windows PC, Mac computer, or NAS drive) through the wireless speaker system. You can wirelessly stream a variety of compressed and high-res music files. Music browsing can be carried out using the MUZO app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. Once playback has been initiated by a play command on the MUZO app, the Aurora's top-panel or remote's play/pause and previous/next track controls can also be used to operate playback. Supported music file include MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV (up to 32-bit/192kHz).
Note: Windows Media Player version 11 or above incorporates built in DLNA support. A variety of third party UPnP applications are available that are compatible with both Windows and OS X operating systems.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The ifi Aurora employs Bluetooth 5.0, the very latest version with the newest Qualcomm 5100 series chipset. Bluetooth implementation does not use a standard SOC (System On a Chip) as seen on other wireless speaker systems. Instead, it uses a combination of quality elements to extract the most from each stage. The Qualcomm chip routes the raw, digital Bluetooth signal to a specialized Sabre DAC chip to convert the signal from digital to analog; any jitter is eliminated using our GMT femto-precision clock system to deliver Bluetooth that is a cut above. All current Bluetooth audio formats are supported including aptX and aptX HD; as well as LDAC and HWA, hi-res Bluetooth codecs created by Sony and Huawei respectively. And of course the Aurora supports Apple's AAC format and Bluetooth standard SBC codec. Every codec is covered at the highest resolution Bluetooth specification.
- aptX + aptX HD: aptX audio is a bit-rate efficient technology that ensures you receive high quality audio from your Bluetooth device, so you have a better listening experience. From 20Hz to 20kHz, aptX audio covers the human hearing range at CD-quality level (16-bit/48kHz). aptX HD takes Bluetooth a step-further by offering 24-bit/48kHz music quality with improved signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and lower total harmonic distortion (THD).
- LDAC: LDAC is an audio coding technology developed by Sony that enables the transmission of High-Resolution Audio content (up to 24-bit/96kHz) over a wireless for an enhanced wireless listening experience.
- HWA: HWA is the next generation for the highest quality of wireless audio powered by LHDC. HWA ensures the most realistic and high definition wireless audio (up to 24-bit/96kHz).
- AAC: AAC offers better sound quality for Apple iOS device and your iTunes music library.
- SBC: SBC is the mandatory and default codec for Bluetooth audio streaming. It is capable of bit rates up to 328 kbps with a sampling rate of 44.1kHz.
Note: Your Bluetooth source device (smartphone, tablet, computer, etc) must also support aptX, aptX HD, LDAC, HWA, and AAC in order to enjoy these higher quality Bluetooth codecs.
USB-A Port: The ifi Aurora is equipped with a USB-A port for connection of a USB thumbdrive or HDD (HDD may require an external power supply). The Aurora supports playback of MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV music files (up to 32-bit/192kHz) stored on USB thumbdrive or HDD that is formatted in FAT32. It supports
microSD Card Slot: The ifi Aurora is also equipped with microSD card slot with support for microSD and microSDHC memory cards. The Aurora supports playback of MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV music files (up to 32-bit/192kHz) stored on microSD or microSDHC memory card (up to 128GB). The microSD or microSDHC memory card must be formatted in FAT32.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The ifi Aurora is outfitted with an optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital inputs for connection to a TV or Blu-ray player. Both digital inputs support up to 24-bit/192kHz, 2ch PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS). Make sure your TV or Blu-ray player is set to output only 2ch PCM. The optical & coaxial digital input our independent of one another.
Analog Aux Inputs: The ifi Aurora offers two analog Aux inputs to connect an external analog audio source. There is an analog stereo RCA input and an analog 3.5mm Aux input. The stereo RCA and 3.5mm Aux input are not independent and share the same source input selection. This speaker system does not offer a Phono input. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need a turntable with a built-in phono preamp or you'll need to purchase an external phono preamplifier (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for your turntable.
Top-Panel Controls: The ifi Aurora features convenient top-panel controls to operate basic functions of the wireless speaker system. Basic control functions include Power, Volume/Mute, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Input Select, ART, and TrueBass. You'll need to use the MUZO Player app (see below) to access local network sources and online music services.
IR Remote: The ifi Aurora comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the speaker system. The remote provides basic control functions; such as Power, Volume/Mute, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Input Select, ART, and TrueBass. You'll need to use the MUZO Player app (see below) to access local network sources and online music services.
MUZO Player App: Download MUZO Player app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The MUZO Player app is required for advanced functionality of the ifi Aurora speaker system, including access to local network sources and online music services.
1 question already asked