About the iFi Audio hip-dac2
A powerful portable DAC that fits in your pocket
The super-slim, battery-powered iFi hip-dac2 connects to your phone and headphones to give you better sound on the go.
A powerful portable DAC that fits in your pocket
I named ifi Audio's original hip-dac the "best battery-powered portable headphone amp" of the year — and our customers agreed. It is one of our best-selling and best-reviewed amp/DAC combos ever. This updated version keeps the same handy, charming flask-shaped design and adds some functionality and processing power. There's also a little extra flair, thanks to the delightful "sunset orange" finish on the heavy-duty aluminum chassis.
It's still about the same size, compact enough to slip right into your pocket. When you're ready to listen to music, connect it to your phone or laptop to bypass that rotgut built-in audio circuitry — and drink in the top-shelf sound. Wired headphones sound much more dynamic and detailed when driven by the hip-dac2.
iFi opted to use a 16-bit XMOS microcontroller/processor for the hip-dac2. That chip is responsible for handling the incoming USB audio data and it helps lower latency and increase the clock speed. On top of that, iFi's in-house development team purpose-built the processor to work in harmony with the digital-to-analog converter chip.
A new low-jitter clock was added as well. It serves to keep the distortion low and to keep your music as authentic to the source as possible.
Makes all your digital music sound better
The hip-dac2 features digital connections and a high-grade Burr-Brown DAC chip that can squeeze out more musical detail from Spotify®, Apple Music®, Qobuz, YouTube, and other digital audio sources. This DAC will decode high-resolution music files up to 32-bit/384Hz resolution, and DSD files up to 11.2 MHz. It can even fully decode MQA, meaning it completes all three file "unfolds" required for optimum sound.
The iFi hip-dac2 is lightweight, yet built sturdy and substantial enough that it won't slide around during use.
iFi certainly made the connections easy. The hip-dac2 doesn't complicate things like some other DACs on the market. A USB cable (with a Type A USB male on one end and Type A USB female on other end) is included for connecting to a PC, and a USB Type A to Type C is included for newer Android™ phones. There are mini-USB and Apple Lightning® adapters for iPhone® sold separately.
S-balanced headphone amp
On the front panel, there is a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack along with a balanced 4.4mm headphone output. The latter is the new industry standard balanced connection that helps cuts down on signal noise and distortion. A growing list of headphones from multiple brands use it.
Either way you connect takes advantage of what iFi calls "S-balanced" headphone amp technology. Their dual-mono circuitry keeps the left and right audio channels separate for as long as possible to avoid cross-talk and distortion.
A note about charging
The hip-dac2 has a built-in rechargeable battery that offers 8 hours of music listening on a full charge, depending on how you use it. This amp runs completely on battery, and must be recharged via the USB-C port (a charging cable is included). You'll want to ensure it is charged up when you take it out and about.
- battery-powered portable USB DAC with built-in high-performance headphone amp
- pocket-sized design with metal chassis
- improves sound from your PC, digital music player, iPhone, and/or Android phone
- USB-A and USB-C cable included
- 16-core XMOS processor/microcontroller programmed by iFi's development team for optimized sound and perfect cooperation with digital-to-analog converter chip
Built-in digital-to-analog converter:
- Burr-Brown "True Native" digital-to-analog converter chip for high-quality sound
- supported audio files: up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM; DSD 256 (11.2 MHz)
- offers full decoding for MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio files
- Type A USB input for connecting PC, smartphone, and other mobile devices
- GMT (Global Master Timing) femto-precision clock and intelligent memory buffer to eliminate jitter
S-balanced headphone amplifier:
- two headphone outputs:
- one 3.5mm stereo minijack
- one balanced 4.4mm output
- iFi's dual-mono circuitry helps reduce crosstalk between the left and right audio channels
- output power: > 2.0V / 400mW @ 32 ohms (balanced); 280mW @ 32 ohms (unbalanced)
- XBass sound control processing for boosting bass
- PowerMatch switchable gain
- manual power switch/volume control dial with 40dB-0dB attenuation
General info and specs:
- USB-C charging cable included
- rechargeable battery provides up to 8 hours of playback on a full charge
- completely self-powered, cannot borrow power from your computer, phone, or playback device during use
- color-coded LED indicator for incoming sample rate
- includes selection of silicone grip pads
- 2-7/8"W x 4-1/16" H x 5/8"D
- weight: 0.28 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 312005
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the iFi Audio hip-dac2
The iFi Audio hip-dac2 replaces these items
- battery-powered, pocket-sized USB DAC with built-in high-performance headphone amp
- improves sound from your PC, digital music player, iPhone®, and/or Android™ phone
- one 3.5mm stereo minijack and one balanced 4.4mm output