About the iFi Audio micro iTube2
A touch of tube magic to expand your listening pleasure
A touch of tube magic to expand your listening pleasure
The iFi micro iTube2 provides an easy way to give your system's sound the enhanced dimensionality and midrange magic associated with tube gear. Don't let this device's modest size or price fool you. It uses audiophile-grade parts and trickle-down technology borrowed from iFi's reference Pro Series products.
Whether you love vinyl LPs or digital discs, the micro iTube2 can give your music a richer, fuller presentation. You can use it as a tube buffer stage between your favorite source — like a CD player or phono stage — and your preamplifier. Or place it between your preamp and power amplifier and warm up the sound of all your sources.
You can also use the micro iTube2 as a tube preamplifier in a single-source system. And because the micro iTube2 provides impedance-matching, it can be a helpful "middle man" if you're connecting directly from a DAC (digital-to-analog converter) to a power amp.
Finally, for more expansive private listening, try placing the micro iTube2 in-line in front of your headphone amp.
Three tube sound signatures
The micro iTube2 offers some interesting options for individual customization. You can choose from three sound signature settings based on different tube amplifier types. Just toggle the front-panel control to switch between SET (single-ended triode), Push-Pull, and Classic, to create the sound that best suits your system and listening preferences. It's really fun to experiment.
Impressive audio processing
iFi 's XBass+® matrix is designed to enhance listening when using speakers with limited bass extension. There are two XBass+ options: one is for speakers missing frequencies below 40Hz, while the other is for speakers that need help below 80Hz. It's a great way to boost bass control without degrading sound quality.
And for a more immersive listening experience, iFi's 3D Holographic+® technology corrects spatial distortion issues in recordings and increases soundstage width and depth.
Who is iFi Audio?
iFi is an award-winning British audio company that specializes in sound-improving solutions. Their gear is packed with sophisticated circuitry that helps you get the most out of your listening experience.
- improves the sound when placed in-line between preamp and power amp, or between a music source and a preamp
- uses General Electric GE5670 vacuum tube with 100,000-hour lifetime
- choice of three tube amplifier sonic signatures: Push-Pull, SET (single-ended triode), or Classic
- 3D Holographic+® analog processing for speakers corrects spatial distortion issues in recordings and increases soundstage width
- XBass+® analog bass correction system adjusts speaker bass response to deliver deep, tight bass (20Hz, 6dB or 12dB)
- DirectDrive® design eliminates output coupling capacitors, resulting in a direct signal path and greater sonic transparency
- pure analog volume control
- super-quiet iPower 15V power supply (12V-compatible for use in cars, RVs, and boats)
- stereo RCA input
- stereo RCA output
Dimensions and warranty:
- 2-5/8"W x 1-1/8"H x 6-7/8"L
- weight: 9.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 303013
What's in the box:
- Tube buffer/preamplifier
- AC adapter with attached 80" DC output cord (DC output: 15V 1.2A)
- US 2-prong AC plug adapter
- 20" RCA cable (2 male RCA plugs on each end)
- 3" DC power adapter (straight female DC barrel connector on one end and right angled male DC barrel connector on other end)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
- 3 Easy Steps card
- Audio Band Noise Floor card
iFi Audio micro iTube2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the iFi Audio micro iTube2
Overview: The iFi Audio micro iTube2 brings your music to life. This high-end DirectDrive Pre-Amplifier and Tube Buffer enhances vocals and gives separation to the instruments for a more lifelike performance. DirectDrive means there's no sound-degrading output coupling capacators, giving you a pure, true signal path. The device features the latest iFi Audio technology, including Tube+, XBass+ and 3D+, which can be added and set as needed. The device has stereo RCA inputs and outputs, and is powered by an included 15V AC adapter.
Pre-Amplifier/Tube Buffer: The micro iTube2 can be used as a single-source pre-amplifier with volume control (with a 100k ohm input impedance), or as a straight "pass through" tube buffer (with a 1M ohm input impedance). If the device is configured as a tube buffer, the power should be turned on with the volume at minimum. A series of micro-switches, located on the bottom of the chassis, can configure the device as a tube buffer, tube buffer (w/9dB gain), preamp w/analog volume control, or a preamp with analog volume control (w/9dB gain).
Tube+: The Tube+ feature, first introduced with the Pro iCAN, allows you to enjoy the "Magic of Tubes and Valves" with a warmer, more relaxing sound. The micro iTube2 uses the GE5670 tube, made by General Electric, because of its high quality and performance. The 3-way Tube+ switch on the front panel lets you choose from 3 sound signatures. You should set the switch to the setting that sounds the most pleasing to you:
- SET: Produces the sound signature of a Single-Ended Triode (SET) power amplifier.
- --: Produces a sound that is parallel to classic, low-distortion tube-based studio equipment.
- Push-Pull: Produces the sound signature of a Push-Pull tube power amplifier.
XBass+ for Speakers: If your music is lacking in low end performance, you can enable XBass+ for Speakers. XBass+ adds 6dB or 12dB at 20Hz to enhance the bass response of your speakers. For speakers missing only the lowest bass notes (below 40Hz), you should select 20Hz (6dB). If your speakers are missing bass notes below 80Hz, you should select the 20Hz (12dB) position. XBass+ for Speakers can be turned off if desired.
3D+ Holographic for Speakers: The 3D+ Holographic feature gives your speakers more depth. These dual-analog matrices correct spacial distortion that is fundamentally found in recordings, and increase the width of the soundstage beyond your speakers. The 3-way front panel switch lets you select from the following:
- 30°+: This matrix adds an extra 30° to the soundstage to compensate for narrowly placed speakers, such as computer speakers.
- --(off): The 3D+ matrix is turned off.
- +: This matrix eliminates the spacial distortion in recordings, and recreates the original "width" of the soundstage.
Power Input: The micro iTube2 is powered by the supplied 15V DC power supply (AC adapter). It is also fully compatible with 12-volt system used in cars, RVs or boats. The power input port is located on the side of the chassis.
- Tube: NOS GE 5670 (1)
- Maximum Output: >7.75V (>+20dBu)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 119dB (A) (re. 2V, buffer, 0dB gain)
- Dynamic Range: 131dB (A) (re. +20dBu, buffer 0dB gain)
- THD+N: <0.009% (re. 2V, buffer, 0dB gain, A-weighted)
- Frequency Response: <10 Hz to >200 kHz (-1dB); 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+/-0.03dB)
- Input Impedance:
- Direct Tube Buffer: 1M ohms
- Pre-Amplifier with Volume Control: 100k ohms
- Output Stage Output Impedance: < 1 ohm
- Corrected Output Impedance: < 150 ohms
- Power Consumption: < 4W idle, 10W max
- Dimensions: Width 2.638", Height 1.141", Length 7.018"
- Weight: 8.4 ounces