About the iFi Audio nano iOne
Liven up the sound from your digital music, movies, and shows
The back panel of the iFi Audio nano iOne features inputs and outputs for connecting your PC or digital audio gear to a receiver, amp, or powered speaker.
Liven up the sound from your digital music, movies, and shows
At first glance, the iFi Audio nano iOne might seem like a portable, on-the-go digital-to-analog converter. But a closer look reveals that this compact DAC actually fits better into a TV or home stereo setup. It connects between an audio source's digital output and your receiver, amp, or powered speakers. iFi's top-notch audio technology takes over to give you better sound with great clarity, depth, and detail.
Inputs for handling your digital audio sources
The iOne connects to your laptop via USB and overrides the audio circuitry within your PC. On the back panel, there are stereo RCA outputs for connecting to a receiver or amp. You'll also find a combo coaxial/mini-optical input/output.
When used as an input, you can connect a disc player, streaming video player (like an Apple TV or Roku device), or even your TV. If you're a Sonos user, this device would be a good fit with a Sonos Port player.
High-performance DAC chip
iFi uses a stereo Burr-Brown DAC chip for clear 2-channel sound. This high-grade DAC can squeeze out more musical detail from Spotify®, Apple Music®, YouTube®, and other digital audio sources. It will decode high-res PCM music files up to 24-bit/192Hz resolution,as well as single-bit DSD files up to 12.4 MHz.
Built-in Bluetooth for even more freedom
Want to quickly hear music or another sound from your phone? Not a problem. The iOne also features built-in Bluetooth, so you can play pretty much any audio wirelessly. iFi included aptX, an advanced form of Bluetooth audio coding for improved sound with devices that support this technology.
This is an easy way to add Bluetooth to an older A/V receiver. Especially for those of us who really like the sound of our old-school home stereo (raising my hand), but want to go wireless. Unlike a cheap adapter or dongle, the iOne better uses all that internal circuitry to better preserve the audio quality.
Who is iFi Audio?
iFi is an award-winning British audio company that may not have the recognition of some of the big-name brands we carry. But in the world of high-end personal audio, their name rings out. iFi Audio offers well-built gear, packed with sophisticated circuitry to deliver the sonic goods.
- compact USB DAC for home stereo setups
- improves sound from your TV, PC, streaming media device, or other digital audio sources
- USB Type B cable included
- compact design with metal chassis
- built-in Bluetooth for wirelessly streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computer
- aptX® and AAC decoding for high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
Built-in digital-to-analog converter:
- Burr-Brown "True Native" digital-to-analog converter chip for stereo playback
- plays PCM digital audio sources up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD up to 12.4 MHz (DSD 256)
- up to 24-bit/192kHz PCM via S/PDIF optical digital connection
- built-in "active noise cancellation+" technology helps reduce line noise by up to 40dB
- selectable digital filter settings for fine-tuning performance with different digital sources
- input mode switch for choosing between Bluetooth, USB, or S/PDIF
- Filter switch for choosing between "listening" or "measuring" modes
- Bluetooth pairing button
- Type B USB input for connecting PC and other mobile devices (USB-A to USB Type B 3.0 cable included)
- galvanically isolated coaxial/mini optical digital combination input/output
- standard Toslink to mini optical adapter included
- functions as a coaxial digital output when USB audio signals are applied
- without USB audio signals, functions as an optical or coaxial digital input
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. This DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
- stereo unbalanced RCA preamp output with selectable fixed/variable level (RCA cables included)
General info and specs:
- Powered by your computer or by included AC/USB adapter
- color-coded LED indicator for incoming sample rate
- rubber feet included
- frequency response:
- 20-20,000 Hz (<+0/-0.5dB) @ 44.1kHz sampling rate
- 1- 44,000Hz (<+0/-3.0dB) @ >/= 88.2kHz sampling rate
- 2-5/8"W x 1-1/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 4.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 304006
What's in the box:
- Digital-to-analog converter
- 20" RCA patch cord
- 20" USB 3.0 cable (Type A USB on one end and Type-B USB on other end)
- Optical adapter (female Toslink to optical mini)
- AC adapter with USB output port (DC output: 5A 500mA)
- 4 Adhesive-backed rubber feet
- User Manual
- Simple Connection Guide
- 3 Easy Steps
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the iFi Audio nano iOne
Overview: The iFi Audio nano iOne is a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) that works with smartphones, tablets, game consoles, TVs, and other digital sources. It also has Bluetooth so you can stream your favorite content directly to the DAC. You can connect the output to your home receiver or integrated amplifier, or to a pair of powered speakers.
Hi-Res Formats: The nano iOne supports PCM, DSD, DXD, and MQA hi-res audio formats. The built-in Burr-Brown True Native DAC chipset maintains your music files in their native formats, so you hear the music as the artist intended, and without format change. The front panel has a large color-changing LED with the iFi logo that indicates the format of the audio signal being received. The LED colors are:
- Blue: DSD256 (11.2 / 12.2 MHz)
- Cyan: DSD128 (5.6 / 6.2 MHz) / DSD64 (2.8 / 3.1 MHz)
- White: DXD384 / 352 kHz
- Yellow: PCM 192 / 176 kHz
- Green: PCM 96 / 88.2 / 48 / 44.1 kHz
- Purple: MQA
- Red: Unlock
Inputs: The nano iOne has multiple inputs, both wired and wireless. The wired inputs include USB and S/PIDF. The back panel USB 3.0 Type B input is for connecting your home or work computer. It is compatible with USB 2.0 or 3.0. The S/PDIF combo input will accept a coaxial (RCA) or optical (mini) digital connection. A Toslink-to-mini optical adapter is provided. Bluetooth is utilized simply for wireless reception, but not for conversion to analog. It includes AAC and aptX to deliver CD-quality Bluetooth audio. You can stream your digital music and content from your smartphone, tablet, computer, or TV to the nano iOne, and pass the analog audio to your amplifier or powered speakers. The nano iOne has the ability to store up to 8 paired Bluetooth devices for instant pairing. A 3-way toggle switch on the front panel lets you choose the desired input: BT (Bluetooth), USB, or SPDIF.
Outputs: The nano iOne features a stereo RCA output pair, as well as a S/PIDF coaxial digital output. The RCA connection outputs a 2.05V analog signal for connecting the DAC to your receiver or integrated amp. A pair of RCA cables is included. The S/PIDF output is a single RCA jack, and outputs the signal from the Bluetooth and USB inputs. When USB is connected as a source, the S/PIDF connection automatically becomes an output, allowing you to connect it to another DAC, if desired.
Digital Filters: The nano iOne DAC is equipped with selectable digital filters for PCM and DSD listening. The advanced minimum phase (Bezier) digital filter is applied when the Filter switch is in the "Listen" position. It is optimized for sound quality and enjoyment. The Listen position provides extended bandwidth and is transient optimized. In most cases, the switch should remain in this position. For those who prefer the sound of standard FIR linear phase filters, or are required to take objective performance measurements, the "Measure" position should be selected. The measure position provides a narrower bandwidth, and is optimized for lower output band noise. For DXD listening, the nano iOne applies bit-perfect processing with a fixed filter.
Active Noise Cancellation (ANC): Embedded military-grade Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) circuitry is used to reduce noise in your audio system by 40dB or 100x, compared to a common noise filter. Similar to ANC in headphones, the nano iOne detects unwanted noise and introduces a second but opposite sound wave that cancels out the noise, particularly in the lower frequencies. The device also utilizes passive noise cancellation through insulating filters which eliminate middle and high frequency noise.
Power Source: The nano iOne runs on USB bus power. Power can be supplied by your home/office computer through the USB Type B 3.0 input, or by the included AC / USB adapter (5V 500mA).
- Frequency Response:
- 20Hz - 20kHz (<+0/-0.5dB) @ 44.1kHz sampling rate, Measure Filter
- 1Hz - 44kHz (<+0/-3.0dB) @ >/= 88.2kHz sampling rate, Measure Filter
- Output Voltage (@0dBFS): 2.05V (+/-0.05V)
- Dynamic Range: 109dB (A)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (@0dBFS): 109dB (A)
- THD+N (@0dBFS): <0.0015% (10k load)
- Output Impedance: < 50 ohms
- Power Consumption: < 2.5W
- Dimensions: Width 2.519", Height 1.005", Depth 3.913"
- Weight: 4.5 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked