About the iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier
A digital audio "cleaner-upper"
A digital audio "cleaner-upper"
The iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier cleans up the SPDIF digital audio signals from your TV, disc player, streamer, or game console. This thumb-drive sized device is crammed full of advanced circuitry that eliminates the jitter (timing errors) and electrical noise that can seriously degrade sound quality. It's not a DAC (digital-to-analog converter), but it helps your standalone DAC (or the DAC in your receiver or integrated amp) perform better.
Breathe life into your digital audio sources
Optical and coaxial digital connections are capable of producing excellent sound quality, but the signals from typical digital audio sources carry lots of noise and jitter that can make the sound flat and congested. Running these signals through the SPDIF iPurifier gives vocals and instruments more separation, and restores dynamics and spaciousness.
The iPurifier briefly stores incoming digital data in a built-in memory buffer and precisely re-clocks it to remove jitter before passing the data on to your DAC. It also galvanically isolates your source device from your DAC to eliminate interference and ground noise. The iPurifier is not an upsampler — it delivers only the original bits that are supposed to be there, with bit-perfect accuracy for sources up to 24-bit/192kHz.
The SPDIF iPurifier plugs directly into the coaxial digital input of a DAC, or into a Toslink or mini-optical input using the supplied adapters. It's effective for stereo sources like CD players, but it can also handle the Dolby® Digital and DTS® signals from TVs, DVD or Blu-ray players, satellite TV receivers, game consoles, and streamers like Google Chromecast and pre-4K versions of Apple TV.
Who is iFi Audio?
iFi is an award-winning British audio company that specializes in sound-improving solutions. Their gear is packed with sophisticated circuitry that helps you get the most out of your listening experience.
- improves the sound when placed in-line between a digital audio source and a DAC
- can be connected to either an optical or a coaxial digital input (but not both at the same time)
- works with TVs, CD players, DVD/Blu-ray players, satellite TV receivers, PS4 and Xbox game consoles, and streamers such as Google Chromecast and Apple TV (pre-4K)
- REclock® and REgenerate® technology improves the quality of your source's digital audio stream and reduces jitter
- uses AMR's Global Master Timing/Memory Buffer System to ensure bit-perfect output
- galvanically isolated SPDIF output eliminates ground noise
- supported audio formats: up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD/DSD over PCM, and Dolby® Digital and DTS
- top-panel LED indicates audio signal sampling rate
- iPower low-noise 5V AC power supply with separate DC output adapter cord (Micro-B USB)
- input: combo mini-optical jack/coaxial connector
- outputs: coaxial connector and mini-optical jack
- included adapters: Toslink-optical-to-mini-optical, male-BNC-to-female-RCA coax, female-BNC-to-male-RCA coax
Dimensions and warranty:
- 3/4"W x 13/16"H x 2-13/16"L
- weight: 1 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 306015
What's in the box:
- SPDIF digital filter
- 8" Optical digital adapter (male Toslink connector on one end and male optical mini connector on other end)
- 2 Optical adapters (Toslink female to Optical Mini)
- Coaxial digital adapter (male BNC to female RCA coax)
- Coaxial digital adapter (female BNC to male RCA coax)
- AC power supply with attached 80" DC output cord and DC barrel connector (DC output: 5V 2.5A)
- 5.5" DC power cord adapter (female DC barrel connector on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- User manual
- 3 Easy Steps
- Audio Band Noise Floor diagram
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier
Overview: The iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier cleans up the SPDIF digital audio signals coming from your TV, video streaming device, or game console to provide a better experience. Digital jitter and interference from power supplies, appliances, motors, radio, and TV can degrade the sound. Running the signal through the SPDIF iPurifier makes the sound come alive and more realistic. The SPDIF iPurifier comes with its own power supply, and connections are included for the most frequently used devices.
Connections: SPDIF digital audio is output from many popular sources, including Apple TV, 4K Smart TVs, Google Chromecast, and PS4 and XBox game consoles. Other sources include DVD/Blu-ray players, CD players, and satellite TV receivers. The SPDIF iPurifier has a SPDIF input with a coaxial (RCA) connection. If your source doesn't have a coax digital output, adapters are provided for Toslink and mini optical and BNC digital outputs. On the output side, both coaxial (RCA) and optical (mini) connections are provided. (You should use one or the other, not both!) The same adapters are available for connecting the SPDIF iPurifier to your DAC or amplifier's audio input.
Clean Power Input: The SPDIF iPurifier requires a DC power input (5V 500mA), provided by the included iPower AC power supply and Micro-B USB adapter. The power is filtered through the device to provide a cleaner power signal than battery power and without degradation of the audio.
iFi Audio Technologies: The SPDIF iPurifier supports a wide variety of signals from 44.1 to 192kHz, 16 to 24 Bit, and including DSD/DoP, Dolby Digital and DTS. It utilizes the following iFi technologies:
- REclock/REgenerate: REclock/REgenerate technology corrects any errors that may have occurred in the transmission of the SPDIF digital signal. In the REclock and REgenerate phases, the SPDIF signal is repeated so the noise and jitter can be removed, restoring the integrity of the signal to an industry standard square wave. A bit-perfect SPDIF signal is generated with no jitter, resulting in sound quality with better resolution, dynamic contrast, and greater warmth.
- Galvanic Isolation: The Galvanically Isolated SPDIF output separates the electrical circuits to eliminate stray elements. Because only the pure signal passes through, the resulting audio signal is free of interference.
- Global Master Timing (GMT)/Memory Buffer: The SPDIF iPurifier features AMR's Global Master Timing master clock with accuracy to <300 femto seconds that corrects any SPDIF jitter. The Intelligent Memory buffer holds a large number of complete audio samples, so it can completely absorb a large amount of variation in the incoming signal (in the form of jitter and drift). At the same time, it sends out data at a fixed and precise clock rate, regardless of the variations in the incoming clock.
LED Color Indicators: The SPDIF iPurifier has a small LED that changes color to indicate the sampling rate of the incoming audio signal. The color codes are as follows:
- Red: Unlock
- Blue: 44.1 / 48 kHz
- Magenta: 88.2 / 96 kHz
- Cyan: 176.4 kHz
- White: 192 kHz