About the Pro-Ject Automat A1
Pro-Ject's first fully automatic turntable
Pro-Ject's first fully automatic turntable
Pro-ject has been making popular manual belt-drive turntables for a long time now — I own one myself. Never ones to rest on their laurels, they are now offering the A1 Automat in response customers who requested the convenience of a fully automatic turntable. The Automat starts and stops automatically, and Pro-Ject made sure the mechanism is disengaged and decoupled during the entire runtime of the record, so it can't add any unwanted noise.
The A1 Automat has a built-in phono preamp and a semi-symmetrical Connect it E phono cable pre-installed. That means you can quickly connect to just about any receiver, integrated amp, or powered speakers in your sound system, and get started listening to vinyl.
Solid build quality
The automatic operation is new, but the underlying build quality is what we've come to expect from a Pro-ject turntable. The 'table is built on a sturdy plinth with silicon-damped stabilizing feet — a rock-solid foundation that keeps external noise and vibration at bay. There's a dense aluminum platter with damping ring to place records on, and the convenient electronic speed change lets you switch between 33-1/3 and 45 rpms at the touch of a button. The lightweight aluminum tonearm features a factory installed and calibrated Ortofon OM10 moving magnet cartridge that's very accurate and revealing.
- straight aluminum tonearm with pre-adjusted tracking force and anti-skating
- Ortofon OM10 moving magnet cartridge included
- fully automatic start and stop
- disengaged and decoupled during the entire runtime of the record
- switchable built-in phono preamplifier
- when switch is set to LINE, turntable must be connected to a standard line input (labeled AUX, CD, or TAPE)
- when switch is set to PHONO, turntable must be connected to an outboard phono preamp or dedicated phono input
- aluminum platter with damping ring
- solid resonance damped plinth construction for quieter performance
- silicon-damped stabilizing feet
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm (electronic speed change)
- semi-symmetrical Connect it E phono cable pre-installed
- removable plastic dust cover
- made in Germany
- wow and flutter: 0.27% (33-1/3 rpm); 0.25 (45 rpm)
- speed drift: 0.75% (33-1/3 rpm); 0.65% (45 rpm)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 65dB
- frequency response (with included cartridge): 20-22,000 Hz
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-9/16"W x 5-1/16"H x 14-5/16"D (dust cover down)
- weight: 12.34 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years (1 year for included cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 9120122291672
What's in the box:
- Tone-arm (pre-installed)
- Cartridge w/ stylus (pre-installed)
- Platter (pre-installed)
- Belt (pre-installed)
- 45RPM adapter
- Dust cover
- 2 Hinges
- AC power adapter (attached DC cord)
- AC power adapter plugs (US/EU/UK)
- Instructions for Use
Pro-Ject Automat A1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pro-Ject Automat A1
Features & specs
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Detachable Power Cable||---|
|Materials and Construction|
|Tone Arm Shape||Straight|
|Tone Arm Material||Aluminum|
|Tone Arm Lift||Auto/Button|
|Included Cartridge||Ortofon OM10|
|Tracking Weight||2.0 g (20mN)|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||65|
|Wow and Flutter||0.27|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Turntable Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Turntable Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Cartridge Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Cartridge Labor Warranty||1 Year|
AUTOMAT Technology: The Pro-Ject Automat A1 has a fully-automatic start-and-stop with the automatic mechanism being completely disengaged and decoupled during the entire runtime of the record. The fully mechanical automatics are engaged when you press start and the tonearm is automatically moved to the lead-in groove of the record. Once playing, the automatics are completely taken out of the equation and are not affecting the playback quality. At the end of the record, the record player will automatically return the tonearm to the resting place.
2-Speed Belt Drive System: The Pro-Ject Automat A1 turntable features a precision belt-drive system using a quiet running synchronous motor. It supports both 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds (a 45 rpm adapter is included).
Damped Aluminum Platter: The aluminum platter is first stamped, bent and then perforated. A damping ring on the inside is added to increase weight and reduce resonances. In an extra step, it is then turned and precision balanced to receive its fine edges and lowest wow and flutter deviations. Finally, it receives its smooth paint job, adding to the all-black stylish, and clean look of the Automat A1 turntable.
Ultra-Light-Mass Aluminum Tonearm with Carbon Fiber Reinforced Headshell: The A1 features an 8.3" ultra-light-mass aluminum tonearm with a newly designed headshell that is made of carbon fiber-reinforced polymer, making it super stable and rigid - all while keeping the weight at the lowest to work perfectly with the ultra-light-mass tonearm design. The polymer/carbon composite material results in excellent internal damping of resonances on the Automat A1 turntable.
Ortofon OM10 MM Cartridge: The Pro-Ject Automat A1 comes with a pre-installed OM10 MM (Moving Magnet) cartridge which delivers well balanced and detailed sound. It comes pre-mounted with all tonearm settings pre-adjusted for optimum performance with quick and easy setup.
Built-In Phono Preamp: The Pro-Ject Automat A1 features a built-in phono preamp that allows you to connect the turntable to an integrated amp or receiver that does not have a dedicated phono input. This is a feature that can be turned off when using an integrated amp or receiver with a dedicated phono input.
Gold-Plated RCA Outputs: The Pro-Ject Automat A1 is outfitted with an attached 42" high-quality stereo RCA cable. Pro-Ject's Connect-it-E cable is a semi-balanced, low-capacitance cable, with superior shielding.
Silicon Damping Feet: The integrated feet effectively decouple the turntable from the surface it is placed on using an internal silicon damping layer. This is an essential feature for every good turntable as it acts as yet another mechanism to ensure your vinyl playback is not influenced by outside interference and resonances.
Dust Cover: The Pro-Ject Automat A1 comes supplied with a clear acrylic dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
- Dust Cover Closed Dimenions: 16.5625" (w) x 5.0625" (h) x 14.3125" (d)
- Dust Cover Open Dimensions: 16.5625" (w) x 15.4375" (h) x 15.625" (d)