About the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
A great performer just got even better
A great performer just got even better
We've always been super-impressed with Pro-Ject's Debut Carbon turntable. We think it's one of the best values out there for enjoying the warm, natural sound of vinyl. And judging by our customers' overwhelmingly positive reviews, they feel the same way we do.
So when we found out that Pro-Ject was updating the Carbon's design, we were more than a little skeptical. Why mess with success, right? Well, we needn't have worried. The experts at Pro-Ject kept all of the key elements that made the Carbon so great, and added a couple of significant tweaks to make it even better.
What's new with the Carbon (DC)?
The first thing Pro-Ject did was to give the Debut Carbon (DC) a new power supply with a precision built-in frequency generator (like their Speed Box) — increasing the turntable's speed stability while decreasing unwanted motor vibration. This extra degree of accuracy and smoothness gives you a more focused stereo image, tighter bass, and greater detail than before. Then, Pro-Ject added new TPE (ThermoPlastic Elastomer) dampers to the motor mounts to better decouple and isolate it from the 'table's chassis, reducing motor noise and rumble to a bare minimum. The result is a turntable that delivers sonic performance rarely found on models in its price range.
Crafted for serious sound
The Debut Carbon (DC)'s one-piece carbon fiber tonearm provides greatly increased stiffness compared to typical aluminum tonearms, while reducing unwanted resonance that colors sound. The turntable's sturdy MDF chassis rests on shock absorbing rubber feet that provide a solid, low-resonance foundation. Its heavy 12" steel platter spins on a precision axle and bearing for excellent speed stability and smooth, silent rotation. The belt drive system and new TPE motor mounts isolate the motor's vibration from the chassis to prevent noise from being transferred to the cartridge, and on to your amplifier and speakers.
Get the best sound, without the hassle
Pro-Ject knows that turntable setup can be a challenge for the novice. That's why the Debut Carbon (DC) comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its pre-matched, factory-mounted phono cartridge and tonearm take the guesswork out of installation, and give you optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few simple steps to dial in key settings like tracking force and anti-skating, are all it takes to get this player primed and ready to deliver spacious, detailed music. If you've never experienced the relaxed sound that vinyl is famous for, what are you waiting for?
- DC power supply with ultra-precision frequency DC-driven AC generator for outstanding speed stability
- upgraded motor suspension with TPE (ThermoPlastic Elastomer) damping for silent operation
- one-piece carbon fiber tonearm for superior rigidity and low resonance
- includes pre-mounted Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge
- heavy 12" steel platter with felt mat provides excellent speed stability and protects records from scratches
- precision stainless-steel bearing system for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) base with four shock absorbing rubber feet
- synchronous AC motor decoupled from base for reduced vibration transmission
- manual operation with silicone-damped tonearm lift
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds (manual speed change)
- speed variation: ±0.8%
- wow and flutter: ±0.10%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 68dB
- frequency range (with included cartridge): 20-22,000 Hz
- channel separation (with included cartridge): >22dB
- gold-plated RCA audio jacks (47" Stereo RCA cable w/ ground wire included)
- external power supply reduces likelihood of electro-mechanical interference
- weight: 12.4 lbs.
- 16-3/8"W x 4-11/16"H (with dust cover down) x 13-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years (1 year warranty for the supplied cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
- MFR # Debut Carbon DC-SL
What's in the box:
- Turntable (tonearm and cartridge installed)
- AC power supply (w/ attached 6.5' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug adapters (US/UK/EU)
- Metal platter
- Hub (installed)
- Drive belt (installed)
- Felt mat
- 47" Stereo RCA cable (w/ ground wire)
- 45 RPM adapter
- Anti-skate weight
- Counter weight
- Head-shell weight
- Dust cover
- Plastic hook-tool
- Instructions For Use
- Two-Point Cartridge Alignment Protractor
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
Resonance-Reducing Construction: The attractive resonance-reducing MDF plinth supports a heavier 12" (300mm) diameter metal platter for smoother rotation and lower wow and flutter. Additionally, a felt record mat is employed for superior record support and coupling. The platter and plinth assembly sits upon four-point "O"-ring feet designed for energy absorption and the plinth-mounted motor is isolated by a new TPE suspension keeping unwanted noise and vibration to a bare minimum. The motor is even decoupled from the plinth to reduce vibration transmission.
Note: The turntable should be positioned on a low-resonance surface such as wood or multiple layer ply-board to avoid structural vibrations disturbing replay.
High-Fidelity Sound: The 8.6" single-piece tube carbon fiber tone-arm that increases stiffness while decreasing unwanted resonances resulting in a higher fidelity presentation of your vinyl recordings. Fitted to the carbon fiber arm is a true high-end cartridge, the 2M Red moving magnet (MM) phono cartridge by Ortofon. This arm/cartridge combination is capable of exceptional tracking and recovery of the musical nuance found within the record's grooves.
Belt Driven: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon features a quiet running AC motor with a two-step pulley which drives the hub and platter via a flat-ground belt. The Debut Carbon supports 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds.
RCA Output Jacks: Plinth mounted RCA output jacks allow for the use of higher quality interconnects for even better sonic performance. Connect the turntable to the Phono input of your home receiver.
Note: If your receiver does not have a suitable Phono MM input, a separate phono pre-amplifier (sold separately) is required to connect the turntable to your amplifier.
Dust Cover: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
AC Power Adapter: The turntable operates off of standard household current using the supplied external AC power adapter.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.35A
- Output: 15V - 0.8A (0.5A)
Colors: Available in high-gloss black, red or white piano lacquer finish.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
18 questions already asked