About the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC)
Nicely "tweaked" for your listening pleasure
It's hard for us to imagine a turntable that represents a greater value for enjoying the warm, natural sound of vinyl than Pro-Ject's own Debut Carbon (DC). And judging by their reviews, our customers feel the same way. This factory "tweaked" version of the Debut Carbon (DC) takes all of that turntable's best features — the solid design and construction, plus a carbon fiber tonearm with the great sounding Ortofon 2M Red cartridge — and adds even more performance and versatility. The end result is a great turntable that's also a great value.
What's in it for you?
For starters, the Esprit SB (DC) features a built-in Pro-Ject Speed Box with a top-mounted electronic switch that lets you easily change speeds from 33-1/3 to 45 RPM with the push of a button. The Speed Box's electronic speed regulation also provides greater speed accuracy for enhanced sound quality. You even get the ability to play 78 RPM records with a simple change of the included drive belt pulley (older, large-groove 78s require a special needle like the Audio-Technica VM670SP). Best of all, the heavy 12" precision-machined acrylic platter reduces distracting resonance and lowers the turntable's noise floor for clearer, more dynamic sound. You'll hear tighter, punchier bass, greater midrange detail, and better spatial definition from your treasured vinyl collection.
Crafted for serious sound
The Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC)'s one-piece carbon fiber tonearm is much stiffer than typical aluminum tonearms, while reducing unwanted resonance that colors sound. The turntable's sturdy MDF chassis rests on shock-absorbing rubber feet that provide a solid, low-resonance foundation. The belt drive system and TPE (ThermoPlastic Elastomer) motor mount dampers isolate the motor's vibration from the chassis to prevent noise from being transferred to the cartridge, and on to your amplifier and speakers. The result is a turntable that delivers sonic performance rarely found on models in its price range.
Get the best sound, without the hassle
Pro-Ject knows that turntable setup can be a challenge for the novice. That's why the Esprit SB (DC) comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its pre-matched, factory-mounted phono cartridge and tonearm take the guesswork out of installation, and give you optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few simple steps to dial in key settings like tracking force and anti-skating, are all it takes to get this player primed and ready to deliver spacious, detailed music. If you've never experienced the relaxed sound that vinyl is famous for, what are you waiting for?
- heavy 12" acrylic platter reduces resonance and noise
- built-in precision Speed Box control with top-mounted electronic switch for easy speed changes (33-1/3/45 RPM)
- 78 RPM playback capability with Ortofon 2M78 stylus (stylus not included)
- one-piece carbon fiber tonearm for superior rigidity and low resonance
- external DC power supply with ultra-precise DC-driven AC generator for outstanding speed stability
- upgraded motor suspension with TPE (ThermoPlastic Elastomer) damping for silent operation
- includes pre-mounted Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge
- precision stainless-steel bearing system for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) base with four shock-absorbing rubber feet
- synchronous AC motor decoupled from base for reduced vibration transmission
- speed variation: ±0.6% @ 33? RPM (±0.7% @ 45 RPM)
- wow and flutter: ±0.19% @ 33? RPM (±0.17% @ 45 RPM)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 68dB
- frequency range (with included cartridge): 20-22,000 Hz
- channel separation (with included cartridge): 22dB
- gold-plated RCA audio jacks
- 16-3/8"W x 4-3/4"H (with dust cover down) x 13-1/8"D
- weight: 12.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years (1 year for the supplied cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
- MFR # DCESSB-Gloss Red
What's in the box:
- Turntable (tonearm and cartridge installed)
- AC power supply (w/ attached 6.5' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug adapters (US/UK/EU)
- Acrylic platter
- Hub (installed)
- Thin drive belt
- Wide drive belt
- 47" Stereo RCA cable (w/ ground wire)
- 45 RPM adapter
- Anti-skate weight
- Counter weight
- Dust cover
- Plastic hook-tool
- Instructions For Use
- Two-Point Cartridge Alignment Protractor
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC)
Belt-Drive Design: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB employs a belt drive design, plus a low-noise synchronous AC motor with effective motor decoupling (utilizing TPE) for ultimate speed stability. Together, they offer a smoother rotation and improved overall sound quality.
Built-in Speed Box: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB features a built-in Speed Box which permits electronic speed change between 33, 45, and 78rpm. A simple exchange of stylus to 2M78 (not included) and a drive belt turnover to larger diameter of pulley is also required for 78rpm.
MDF Plinth: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB features a medium density fiber (MDF) that stands on four damped cone feet. The turntable should be positioned on a low-resonance surface such as wood or multiple layer ply-board to avoid structural vibrations disturbing replay.
Acrylic Platter: The turntable comes with a heavy 12" (300mm) acrylic platter. Not mat is included. Pro-Ject recommends that this turntable be used without a mat.
8.6" Carbon Tonearm: The 8.6" single-piece tube carbon fiber tone-arm increases stiffness while decreasing unwanted resonances resulting in a higher fidelity presentation of your vinyl recordings. The conical-shaped carbon-fiber arm-tube avoids standing wave reflections.
MM-Cartridge: The turntable's tone-arm is fitted the 2M Red moving magnet (MM) phono cartridge by Ortofon. This cartridge is capable of exceptional tracking and recovery of the musical nuance found within the records grooves.
RCA Connections: Connection to the phono input of your amplifier can be made with connecting cables of your choice through the turntable's gold-plated stereo RCA phono jacks and grounding screw. The Pro-Ject turntable comes supplied with a 47" stereo RCA cable with ground wire.
Note: If your receiver does not have a suitable Phono MM input, a separate phono pre-amplifier (sold separately) is required to connect the turntable to your amplifier.
Internal Wiring: The turntable's internal wiring consists of flexible high-purity copper from the headshell right through to the gold-plated phono sockets.
Dust Cover: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
Colors: Available in black, white, red, or walnut finish.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
6 questions already asked