About the Pro-Ject Essential II
Everything you need — nothing you don't
Everything you need — nothing you don't
We know a sweet deal when we see one, and Pro-Ject's Essential II lands at the top of our list of true audio bargains. This well-crafted, easy-to-use turntable makes an excellent choice for vinyl newcomers who want to savor that ear-pleasing analog sound without spending a fortune. Pro-Ject's minimalist design philosophy focuses squarely on the features that benefit performance — no unnecessary bells and whistles here. With its simple, uncluttered appearance and your choice of handsome matte black, red, or white finishes, this 'table will look and sound fantastic perched on your audio rack.
Crafted for serious sound
The Essential II's stiff, lightweight chassis rests on shock absorbing feet that help resist external vibration. Its low-resonance MDF platter spins on a precision axle and bearing that minimize friction for smooth, silent rotation. The turntable's tried-and-true belt drive system uses a silicone belt to isolate motor vibration and prevent noise from being transmitted through to your amp and speakers. A newly designed motor control with a DC power supply further minimizes unwanted vibration. And last but not least, the Essential II's rigid one-piece aluminum tonearm with low-friction sapphire bearings and an Ortofon OM-5e moving-magnet cartridge provides superior tracking ability and resonance reduction.
Get the best sound, without the hassle
Pro-Ject knows that turntable setup can be a challenge for the novice. That's why the Essential II comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its pre-matched, factory-mounted phono cartridge and tonearm take the guesswork out of installation, and give you optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few simple steps to dial in key settings like tracking force and anti-skating are all it takes to get this 'table primed and ready to deliver spacious, detailed music.
- low-resonance 12" MDF platter with felt mat to protect records from scratches
- one-piece aluminum tonearm with sapphire bearings for superior rigidity and low resonance
- includes pre-mounted Ortofon OM-5E moving magnet cartridge
- stainless-steel main bearing runs in bronze bushing with Teflon® bottom for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- stiff, lightweight particle board base with shock absorbing feet
- low-vibration synchronous motor
- integrated motor control with DC power supply for silent operation
- fully manual operation
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds (manual speed change)
- speed variance: 0.14% (at 33-1/3 RPM), 0.25% (at 45 RPM)
- wow and flutter: 0.12%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 65dB
- 39" fixed RCA cable
- external power supply reduces likelihood of electro-mechanical interference
- 16-3/8"W x 4-3/8"H (with dust cover down) x 13-1/8"D
- weight: 8.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years (1 year warranty for the supplied cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
- MFR # Essential II-Red
What's in the box:
- Turntable (tonearm and cartridge installed)
- AC power supply (w/ attached 6.5' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug adapters (US/UK/EU)
- MDF platter
- Drive belt
- Felt mat
- 45 RPM adapter
- Anti-skate weight
- Counter weight
- Dust cover
- Plastic hook-tool
- Instructions For Use
- Two-Point Cartridge Alignment Protractor
Pro-Ject Essential II reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pro-Ject Essential II
Belt Driven: The Pro-Ject Essential II turntable features a quiet-running synchronous motor with silicone belt to drive the low-resonance platter.
2 Speeds: The Essential II turntable supports 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds.
Particle Board Plinth: The main chassis is made from lightweight, but very stiff particle board. Special feet effectively decouples the turntable from the surface. The turntable should be positioned on a low-resonance surface such as wood or multiple layer ply-board to avoid structural vibrations disturbing replay.
MDF Platter: The Pro-Ject Essential II employs a low-resonance platter made from MDF and includes a felt mat. The main platter bearing consists of stainless steel spindle and bronze bushing with Teflon bottom to secure low friction.
8.6" Aluminum Tonearm: The Essential II utilizes a straight 8,6" aluminum tonearm design made from a single piece of aluminum with sapphire bearings.
Ortofon OM5e Cartridge (Pre-Mounted): The turntable is fitted with a Ortofon OM5e MM-cartridge. If your receiver does not have a suitable Phono MM input, a separate phono pre-amplifier (sold separately) is required to connect the turntable to your amplifier.
Fixed RCA Cable: The turntable features fixed 39" stereo RCA cable and ground wire. The turntable's internal wiring consists of high-grade flexible copper from the headshell right through to the fixed connection cable.
Dust Cover: The Pro-Ject Essential II comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
AC Power Adapter: The turntable operates off of standard household current using the supplied external AC power adapter.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.35A
- Output: 15V - 0.8A (0.5A)
Colors: Available in black, red, or white finish.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked