About the Pro-Ject Classic Evo
Elegant design and warm, relaxed sound
Elegant design and warm, relaxed sound
Pro-ject took ideas from two previous models to create the Classic EVO. They kept all of the features of the original Classic, including a solid wood chassis that harkens back to vintage designs from the ‘60s and ‘70s. Then they added upgraded features from their EVO line, like a precision-cut aluminum sub-platter and improved tonearm. Then they put the cherry on the metaphorical sundae by pre-installing an excellent Sumiko Amethyst cartridge.
Innovative technology produces a Classic sound
Pro-Ject uses a finely balanced, heavy aluminum platter with a sandwiched layer of Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) around its perimeter — it's a proven method for reducing the resonance that lesser platters can produce. Six TPE ball bearings isolate the wooden chassis from the floating sub-chassis, which helps decouple the platter and tonearm from vibrations of the motor. The Evo-standard carbon/aluminum sandwich tonearm provides superior rigidity.
Pro-Ject knows that turntable setup can be a challenge for the novice. That's why this 'table comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its factory-mounted tonearm and cartridge take the guesswork out of getting started, so you can enjoy optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few minutes to dial in key settings like tracking force, anti-skating, and platter speed are all that's needed to experience musical revelations waiting for you on your favorite records.
- 3-speed manual belt-drive turntable
- one-piece carbon fiber clad aluminum tonearm with advanced bearing structure for superior rigidity and reduced resonance
- includes pre-mounted Sumiko Amethyst moving magnet cartridge with silver spools in the cartridge body for exceptional resolution and detail
- heavy aluminum platter with TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer) technology effectively damps unwanted resonance
- precision diamond cut aluminum sub-platter
- felt platter mat supplied to protect records from scratches
- precision chrome-plated stainless steel and bronze bearing system with Teflon® bottom for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- adjustable azimuth and VTA allow you to use various cartridges
- wooden chassis with aluminum/MDF sub-chassis "floating" on six TPE bearings for reduced vibration
- low-noise AC motor decoupled from base for reduced vibration transmission and better sound
- external power supply with ultra-precise DC-driven AC generator for speed stability
- manual operation with silicone-damped tonearm lift
- built-in precision Speed Box control with top-mounted electronic switch for easy speed changes (33-1/3 and 45 RPM; 78 RPM with belt change)
- older 78 RPM recordings may require Audio-Technica VM670SP or similar stylus (not included)
- frequency response with included cartridge: 12-35,000 Hz
- speed variance: 0.13% at 33-1/3 rpm , 0.10% at 45 rpm
- wow and flutter: 0.10% at 33-1/3 rpm, 0.09% at 45 rpm
- signal-to-noise ratio: 70dB
- gold-plated RCA and ground terminal connectors (cable included)
- requires a phono preamp or phono input on receiver or preamplifier
Dimensions and warranty:
- 18-5/16"W x 6"H (with dust cover down) x 14-1/2"D
- weight: 23.15 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years (1 year warranty for the supplied cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Classic Evo Eucalyptus Amethyst
What's in the box:
- Tonearm (pre-installed)
- Cartridge/Stylus (pre-installed)
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- 3 AC power plugs (US/UK/EU)
- Felt mat
- 3 Feet
- Flat belt
- Round belt
- 4' Stereo RCA cable (w/ gounding wire)
- 45 RPM adapter
- Two-piece antistaking weight
- Headshell weight
- Dust cover
- Cartridge Alighnment Protractor
- Belt changing tool
- 3 Hex-keys
- Cleaning cloth
- Pair of gloves
- Instructions For Use
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pro-Ject Classic Evo
Belt Driven, Electronic 3-Speed Motor System: The Pro-Ject Classic EVO employs a sophisticated DC/AC generator board which combined with the convenient 3-speed control board (33-1/3, 45, or 78 RPM) to deliver clean and stable power to the silent motor system. The Classic EVO's motor chassis is carefully balanced and suspended on a precision tuned TPE belt; this way the motor chassis is effectively decoupled from the main plinth for optimal performance. It is free floating, horizontally completely level and able to operate at the highest performance levels. As a result, this silent motor suspension system eliminates any unwanted vibration from being transmitted to the turntable's chassis, platter, tonearm, or cartridge.
Note: The turntable supports 33-1/3, 45, and 78 RPM speeds. Two belts are provided; see Instructions for which belt to use for what speed. 78 RPM records require an additional cartridge that is not included and sold separately (see Accessories Tab).
Amethyst Moving Magnet (MM) Cartridge: The included Amethyst MM (moving magnet) cartridge features a nude Line-Contact stylus and an upgraded generator assembly providing ultra-low noise, wide dynamics, and superior tracking. This unique setup benefits from the same physically-generated electromotive forces fundamental to MM designs which accurately recreate the original sound of any recording. The Amethyst MM cartridge has a frequency response of 12 to 35,000 Hz. Tracking weight should be set to 2.0 grams/20mN.
Carbon/Aluminum Sandwich Construction Tonearm: The new designed Classic tonearm is the result of Pro-Ject's 25 years of experience in turntable construction. The 9" tonearm tube is made out of a sandwich of carbon and aluminum - carbon for stiffness and speed; and aluminum for better damping. The bearing has been upgraded to the same type that is used on Pro-Ject's higher-end CC EVO tonearms. The improved CC EVO tonearm bearing adds more mass, decreases resonances, plus facilitates frictionless vertical and horizontal movement, guaranteeing precise tracking across the entire duration of the record. The tonearm rest is also improved and sturdier for less vibrations and better overall build quality. In addition, the included counterweight incorporates a TPE (thermo plastic elastomers) damper which allows reduction in the amplitude of the tonearm cartridge resonance frequency by 50%. The Classic tonearm can also be set for azimuth and VTA adjustment for greater flexibility with a variety of cartridges.
Non-Resonant Aluminum Platter & Sub-Platter: The heavy aluminum main platter construction utilizes advanced thermo plastic elastomers (TPE) for optimizing resonance behavior. The platter of The Classic EVO is precisely machined out of a special aluminum alloy again damped with TPE, which offers special damping abilities. The main bearing construction Pro-Ject uses is a similar system as the one on their limited-edition Vienna Philharmonic Recordplayer. The diamond cut precision aluminum sub-platter, like in the Vienna Philharmonic Recordplayer, enables much improved tolerances. This sophisticated part is accurately machined and guarantees a very good isolation between bearing noise and the platter itself. It adds more mass to the entire platter and drive system, resulting in additional damping of noise and unwanted resonances. The improved tolerances during production will increase overall speed accuracy. The additional mass improves short term speed stability (Wow & Flutter).
MDF Plinth with Adjustable Feet: Structurally, the Classic EVO turntable is supported by its large, heavy, dense and stiff MDF plinth, reducing unwanted resonances to almost imperceptible levels. By adding this extra mass, the Classic EVO is even quieter, allowing the vinyl reproduction to become more detailed and precise. The Classic EVO's wooden plinth is available in two satin finishes - walnut or eucalyptus. Height-adjustable, Aluminum/TPE sandwich construction feet help to level the turntable and effectively isolate it from the surface it is placed on.
Stereo RCA Outputs: Plinth mounted RCA output jacks allow for connection to the Phono Input of your receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier. If your receiver does not have a suitable Phono MM input, a separate Phono Preamplifier (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) is required to connect the turntable to your receiver or amp.
Connect-IT E RCA Cable: The Classic EVO turntable comes with Pro-Ject's Connect-IT E RCA cable; a semi-balanced, low-capacitance cable with superior shielding that's optimized for turntable use. Compared to other digital and analog music sources, the signal coming from a turntable cartridge is very fragile in nature and cheap RCA cables often do not provide the ideal conditions for getting a phono signal to an amplifier. The Connect-IT E cable is purpose-designed for this exact application.
AC Power Adapter: The Pro-Ject Classic EVO includes an external AC power adapter (with 6' cord) that plugs into the back of the turntable and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Dust Cover: The Pro-Ject Classic EVO comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.