About the Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Top-notch performance and flexibility
Top-notch performance and flexibility
Pro-Ject's Phono Box S phono preamp serves up the warm, relaxed sound that vinyl is famous for while offering unique performance enhancements rarely seen at this price. Its carefully selected amplifier modules and audiophile-grade components make your treasured record collection shine.
No matter what kind of phono cartridge you mount on your turntable, this versatile preamp gives you a wide range of input settings to optimize its performance. A switchable subsonic filter protects your amplifier and speakers from power-wasting low-frequency rumble below 20Hz.
The Phono Box S phono preamp is compatible with both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges, so you can count on proper matching with virtually any turntable and cartridge combination.
Need a cable?
This phono preamp does not come with an RCA cable to connect to your receiver or amp.
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- audiophile-grade polypropylene WIMA capacitors in the signal path
- switchable input impedance and capacitance settings for proper cartridge loading
- four adjustable gain levels to match phono cartridge output levels
- front-panel power on/off switch
- external power supply for reduced noise and interference
- switchable subsonic filter (-12dB @ 20Hz)
- dual-mono circuitry for optimal channel separation
- small size allows placement near turntable
- signal-to-noise ratio: 86dB (MM), 68dB (MC)
- THD: less than 0.01% (MM); less than 0.05% (MC)
- RIAA response accuracy: less than 0.4dB (20-20,000 Hz)
- one pair of RCA inputs and outputs
- 4-1/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 5-1/4""D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PhonoBox S-BK
What's in the box:
- Phono (MM/MC) pre-amplifier
- AC power adapter (with attached 58" DC cord)
More details on the Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Phono (MM/MC) Preamp: The Pro-Ject Phono Box S allows you to connect a turntable with either a MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil) cartridge to today's home receiver's and amplifier which do not offer a dedicated phono input. There is a button on the back of the unit which allows you to switch between MM or MC mode.
Metal Case: The Phono Box S's metal case shields the electronics from vibration and electromagnetic interference.
Audiophile-Grade Capacitors: Carefully selected amplifier modules and audiophile-grade polypropylene capacitors make it possible to enjoy your valuable vinyl collection like never before.
Dual-Mono Circuitry: The Phono Box S provides optimal channel separation through dual-mono circuitry and low-noise ICs.
RIAA Equalization: The Pro-Ject Phono Box S provides amplification and RIAA equalization for both MM and MC cartridges.
Controls: The Phono Box S features various controls to make sure your turntable sounds it best.
- Gain Levels: The phono preamp's gain level (40/43/60/63dB) can be adjusted to match the level of your MM/MC turntable.
- Input Impedance/Capacitance: You can adjust the phono preamp's input impedance (10/100/1000 Ohms) and input capacitance (100/200/320/420pF) to the setting that best suits your turntable. The input impedance is locked at 47k Ohms for MM turntables.
- Subsonic Filter: A switchable subsonic filter prevents your amplifier and speakers of ultra low rumble below 20Hz (-12dB).
Connections: The Phono Box S features a stereo RCA input and output, as well as a ground terminal.
- RCA: The phono preamp features gold-plated stereo RCA connections. A stereo RCA input connects your turntable, and a stereo RCA output connects your home receiver or amplifier. RCA cables sold separately.
- Ground Terminal: The phone preamp also has a turntable ground, in case your turntable has a separate ground lead. This provides shielding to the tone-arm and the sensitive circuitry in the turntable.
Outboard Power Supply: The Pro-Ject Phono Box S operates off of standard household AC current, using the supplied AC power adapter. The external power adapter is separate from the phono preamp to further improve sound quality.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.6A
- Output: 15V - 500mA (18V)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked