About the Pro-Ject Phono Box S2
Performance, flexibility, and durability
Performance, flexibility, and durability
Pro-Ject's Phono Box S2 phono preamp builds on the success of the popular Phono Box S. It has the same carefully selected amplifier modules and audiophile-grade components that make your treasured record collection shine, in a more rugged chassis made of sandwiched aluminum and metal.
No matter what kind of phono cartridge you mount on your turntable, this versatile preamp gives you a wide range of input settings to optimize its performance. A switchable subsonic filter protects your amplifier and speakers from low-frequency rumble below 20Hz.
The Phono Box S2 phono preamp is compatible with both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges, so you can count on proper matching with virtually any turntable and cartridge combination.
Fine-tune for the perfect match
Dip switches on the bottom of the chassis let you adjust the preamp's settings very specifically to get the most out of it.
For instance, our customers love the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, which comes with an Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge pre-mounted. Pro-Ject recommends that you set input impedance at 47k, input capacitance at 200pF, and input gain at 40dB. The manual that comes with the S2 includes clear diagrams that show how to set the dip switches for this and other popular cartridges, so you can upgrade without too much hassle.
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- audiophile-grade polypropylene WIMA capacitors in the signal path
- rugged aluminum/metal sandwich chassis construction
- switchable input impedance and capacitance settings for proper cartridge loading
- four adjustable gain levels to match phono cartridge output levels
- front-panel power on/off switch
- external power supply for reduced noise and interference
- switchable subsonic filter (-12dB @ 20Hz)
- dual-mono circuitry for optimal channel separation
- small size allows placement near turntable
- signal-to-noise ratio: 85dB
- THD: less than 0.01% (MM); less than 0.05% (MC)
- RIAA response accuracy: less than 0.4dB (20-20,000 Hz)
- one pair of RCA inputs and one pair RCA outputs
- 4-1/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 4-1/8"D
- weight: 1.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PhonoBoxS2-BK
What's in the box:
- Phono (MM/MC) pre-amplifier
- AC power adapter (with attached 58" DC cord)
- 3 AC power plug iinserts (US/EU/UK)
More details on the Pro-Ject Phono Box S2
Phono (MM/MC) Preamp: The Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 allows you to connect a turntable with either a MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil) cartridge to today's home receiver's and amplifier which do not offer a dedicated phono input. There is a button on the back of the unit which allows you to switch between MM or MC mode.
Aluminum/Metal Sandwich Construction: The Phono Box S2's housing is made of an aluminum/metal sandwich construction and not only offers great aesthetics, but also protects it from unwanted electromagnetic interferences and vibrations.
Audiophile-Grade Amplification Module: Audiophile-greade amplifier modules and carefully selected polypropylene capacitors make it possible to enjoy your valuable vinyl collection like never before.
Dual-Mono Circuitry: The Phono Box S2 provides optimal channel separation through dual-mono circuitry and low-noise ICs.
Precise RIAA Equalization: The Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 provides amplification and precise RIAA equalization for both MM and MC cartridges.
Controls: The Phono Box S2 features various controls to make sure your turntable sounds it best.
- Gain Levels: The phono preamp's gain level (40/43/60/63dB) can be adjusted to match the level of your MM/MC turntable.
- Input Impedance/Capacitance: You can adjust the phono preamp's input impedance (10/100/1000 Ohms) and input capacitance (100/200/320/420pF) to the setting that best suits your turntable. The input impedance is locked at 47k Ohms for MM turntables.
- Subsonic Filter: A switchable subsonic filter prevents your amplifier and speakers of ultra low rumble below 20Hz (-12dB).
Connections: The Phono Box S2 features a stereo RCA input and output, as well as a ground terminal.
- RCA: The phono preamp features gold-plated stereo RCA connections. A stereo RCA input connects your turntable, and a stereo RCA output connects your home receiver or amplifier. RCA cables sold separately.
- Ground Terminal: The phone preamp also has a turntable ground, in case your turntable has a separate ground lead. This provides shielding to the tone-arm and the sensitive circuitry in the turntable.
Outboard Power Supply: The Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 operates off of standard household AC current, using the supplied AC power adapter. The external power adapter is separate from the phono preamp to further improve sound quality.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.6A
- Output: 18V - 500mA