About the Pro-Ject Phono Box Ultra 500
An elegant, limited edition phono preamp
An elegant, limited edition phono preamp
This is a rare and special phono preamp. Pro-Ject made just 500 of the Phono Box Ultra 500 to ship worldwide, and we're extremely pleased to be able to offer it to discerning Crutchfield customers. It features a beautiful chrome finish and a a copper body that resists high-frequency interference. It's got the goods inside, too, with highly efficient amplification and audiophile-grade polystyrene capacitors.
The preamp is flexible, so you can match it with your favorite moving magnet or moving coil phono cartridge. A series of DIP switches on the underside of the unit offer variable input impedance and input capacitance settings for precise cartridge loading. There are four switches for adjusting gain, plus a switchable subsonic filter that protects your amplifier and speakers from low-frequency rumble below 20 Hz.
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- beautiful chrome finish on a copper body that resists high-frequency interference
- audiophile-grade polystyrene capacitors in the signal path
- switchable input impedance and capacitance settings for proper cartridge loading
- four adjustable gain levels to match phono cartridge output levels
- front-panel power on/off switch
- external power supply for reduced noise and interference
- switchable subsonic filter (-18dB @ 20 Hz)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 89dB
- THD: 0.00052%
- RIAA response accuracy: less than 0.4dB (20-20,000 Hz)
- one pair of RCA inputs and one pair RCA outputs
Dimensions and warranty:
- 4-1/16"W x 1-1/2"H x 4-11/16"D
- weight: 1.54 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Ultra 500
What's in the box:
- MM/MC Phono preamplifier
- AC power adapter (attached 47" DC cord)
- 3 AC plug inserts (US/EU/UK)
- Instructions For Use
Pro-Ject Phono Box Ultra 500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pro-Ject Phono Box Ultra 500
Features & specs
|Cartridge Type||MM, MC|
|Adjustable Resistance Load||Yes|
|Adjustable Capacitance Load||Yes|
|RCA Inputs||1 Pair|
|RCA Outputs||1 Pair|
|Signal-to-noise Ratio (MM)||85|
|Signal-to-noise Ratio (MC)||65|
MM/MC Phono Preamp: The Pro-Ject Phono Box Ultra 500 allows you to connect a turntable with either a MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil) cartridge to today's home receiver's and amplifier which do not offer a dedicated phono input.
Precise RIAA Equalization: The Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 provides amplification and precise RIAA equalization for both MM and MC cartridges.
Discrete Design: The Pro-Ject Phono Box Ultra 500's fully discrete, OpAmp-less, design produces outstanding, harmonious sound. Carefully selected, audiophile-grade polypropylene capacitors make it possible to enjoy your valuable vinyl collection like never before.
Input Settings: Use the dip switches at the bottom of the Phono Box S2 to set input gain, input capacitance and input impedance. There are independent settings for the left and right channels (make sure to set them equally).
- Impedance: Input impedance can be set to 10, 100, 1k, or 47k ohms for a MM or MC turntable.
- Capacitance: Input capacitance can be set to 100, 200, 320, or 420pF for MM turntables. Input capacitance is irrelevant for MC turntables.
- Gain: The phono preamp's gain level can be adjusted to match the level of your MM or MC turntable. You can select 40 or 43dB for MM turntables and 60 or 63dB for MC turntables.
Note: To alter these settings, the phono preamp must be disconnected from power and your amplifier or receiver.
Subsonic Filter: A switchable subsonic filter prevents your amplifier and speakers of ultra low rumble below 20Hz (-18dB). The subsonic filter is located on the back of the phono preamp.
Connections: The Phono Box Ultra 500 features a stereo RCA input and output, as well as a ground terminal.
- RCA: The phono preamp features gold-plated stereo RCA connections. A stereo RCA input connects your turntable, and a stereo RCA output connects your home receiver or amplifier. RCA cables sold separately.
- Ground Terminal: The phone preamp also has a turntable ground, in case your turntable has a separate ground lead. This provides shielding to the tone-arm and the sensitive circuitry in the turntable.
Outboard Power Supply: The Pro-Ject Phono Box Ultra 500 operates off of standard household AC current, using the supplied AC power adapter. The external power adapter is separate from the phono preamp to further improve sound quality.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.6A
- Output: 18V - 500mA
Copper Chassis: The Pro-Ject Phono Box Ultra 500 features copper body with a polished chrome finish. The copper chassis protects against high frequency interferences.