About the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
The ideal phono preamp for audio perfectionists
The ideal phono preamp for audio perfectionists
If you're like me, the warm, relaxed sound of vacuum tubes and vinyl is hard to resist. Also, if you're like me, you probably spend a good deal of time tweaking and tuning your rig to get the sound just right. Pro-Ject gets it. They designed the Tube Box DS just for people like us. This versatile vacuum tube phono preamp provides highly flexible options and settings for a wide range of phono cartridges — from moving magnet, to high- or low-output moving coil — to ensure top-notch performance that's tuned perfectly for your system. So go ahead, tweak it to your heart's content.
High-quality sound you can custom-tune to match your gear
The secret to the Tube Box DS's dramatic sound starts with its audiophile-grade circuitry. Your music will jump out at you from a dead-quiet background thanks to this preamp's ultra low-noise design. Its vacuum tube output stage delivers the kind of silky smooth texture and spaciousness that tubes are famous for, keeping you glued to your chair late into the night. A continuously variable input impedance loading control on the front panel allows convenient adjustment for your low output MC cartridges to ensure a flat frequency response. You can even make adjustments on the fly while your records are playing, to fine-tune the sound.
Other features include adjustable input capacitance settings for moving magnet and high-output moving coil cartridges, plus gain-setting options to better match your cartridge to your system. A switchable subsonic filter protects your amplifier and speakers from power-wasting low-frequency rumble below 20Hz.
Need a cable?
This phono preamp does not come with an RCA cable to connect to your receiver or amp.
- dual-mono design using two dual-triode ECC83 (12AX7A) vacuum tubes for optimal channel separation
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- pre-mounted Cool Dampers reduce vacuum tube vibration for lower distortion and provide better heat dissipation for longer tube life
- front-panel input impedance control for low output moving coil cartridges (continuously variable from 10-1000 ohms)
- adjustable input capacitance and gain settings for more accurate cartridge matching
- audiophile-grade polypropylene capacitors
- switchable subsonic filter to reduce low-frequency rumble and wasted amplifier power (-18dB/octave at 20 Hz)
- all-metal chassis for improved shielding from vibration and electromagnetic interference
- external power supply for reduced noise and interference
- gold-plated RCA connectors for corrosion-free signal transfer
- capacitance settings: 47pF, 147pF, 267pF, and 367pF (for MM and high-output MC cartridges)
- gain settings: 40dB, 50dB, and 60dB
- RIAA response accuracy: 0.5dB (20-20,000 Hz)
- THD: less than 0.1%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 93dB
- 4-1/16"W x 2-15/16"H x 6-1/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Tube Box DS-BK
What's in the box:
- Turntable (MM/MC) tube pre-amplifier
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 5' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug inserts (US/EU/UK)
- 2 Metal plates
- 10 Jumper caps
- (2 pre-installed)
- Instructions For Use
More details on the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
Tube Phono Preamp: The Pro-Ject Audio Systems Tube Box DS is a very high-quality phono cartridge preamplifier. This precision tube phono preamplifier benefits from outstanding circuit technology from Dr. Sykora and uses high-quality components. All components including tube output (ECC83) and polypropylene capacitors are audiophile-grade and guarantee a breathtaking sound experience.
MM/MC Compatible: The Pro-Ject Tube Box DS phono preamplifier offers amplifications and RIAA equalization for MM and MC cartridges.
Variable Controls: A variable selection of input impedance for MC cartridges can be done while playing a record. Other features include input capacitance for MM cartridges and switchable subsonic, that prevents your amplifier and speakers of ultra low rumble below 20Hz.
- Input Gain (for MM/MC): The phono preamp's input gain can be adjusted to 40dB, 50dB, or 60dB for MM & MC.
- Input Impedance Adjustment (for MC): There is a variable input impedance adjustment for low output MC on the front-panel. Choose from 10 ohms to 1000 ohms.
- Input Capacitance Adjustment (for MM): Input capacitance can be adjusted in 4-steps for MM. Choose from 47pF, 147pF, 267pF, or 367pF.
- Subsonic Filter: The Subsonic filter helps to reduce low-frequency rumble and wasted amplifier power.
Metal Case: The phono preamplifier features a metal case that shields the electronics from vibration and electromagnetic interference.
Gold-Plated RCA Connections: The Pro-Ject Tube Box DS is equipped with a pair of gold-plated RCA connections for the output stage and input stage. The gold-plated RCA connectors offer corrosion-free signal transfer.
Power Requirements: The Pro-Ject Tube Box DS turntable preamplifier operates off of standard household current using the included external power supply. The outboard power supply helps reduce noise and interference.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.4A
- Output: 18V AC, 1.0A.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked