About the JVC GZ-MG330
JVC packed lots of features into the slim Everio GZ-MG330 to give you flexible, convenient recording. This camcorder saves your home movies and photos on a built-in 30-gigabyte hard drive no more hassling with discs or tapes. Plus, you can add optional microSD memory cards for additional storage. And the specially designed Konica Minolta lens helps you capture crisp, clear footage every time.
Convenient recording features
The 35X optical zoom captures faraway objects without sacrificing picture quality. Record movies that match the shape of your HDTV without stretching or distorting the picture using the 16:9 widescreen recording mode. And the touch-sensitive scroll bar located beside the flip-out LCD makes it easy to find and select menu options during filming without getting fingerprints on the screen.
Organize your movies for easy playback
You can assemble videos into playlists for viewing in any order you wish. Assign each scene to a category icon for easy icon-based browsing. You can also insert preset picture titles at the beginning or end of your video clips for a professional look without a PC. Use the one-touch Direct Back up button to send all of your recordings to a compatible computer when you need to free up some space on the camcorder's hard drive.
- records MPEG2 video to a built-in 30GB hard disk drive
- 30GB holds approximately 7 to 37 hours of footage, depending on the quality setting
- 35X optical zoom (digital zoom to 800X)
- 1.12-megapixel CCD (680K effective pixels)
- top JPEG resolution: 640 x 480 (9,999 maximum still images)
- microSD memory card slot
- 2-11/16" widescreen, backlit LCD
- shutter speeds: 1/2 - 1/4,000 seconds (video); 1/2 - 1/1,000 seconds (still photo)
- Gigabrid Engine with video noise reduction
- audio/video output
- 2-1/8"W x 2-3/4"H x 4-3/4"D
- weight: 12.8 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with optional JVC CU-VD20 or JVC CU-VD40 Share Station DVD burner
- widescreen (16:9) shooting mode
- touch-sensitive scroll bar
- auto and manual focus
- white balance control
- high-speed USB interface
- preset picture titles
- playlists and category icons for easy organization
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- AC adapter/charger
- shoulder strap
- audio/video and USB cables
- wireless remote
- software CD-ROM (for Windows®) with JVC Digital Photo Navigator and CyberLink DVD solution
- MFR # GZMG330R
What's in the box:
- Red digital camcorder (with built-in 30GB hard drive)
- AP-V18U AC adapter with attached 6' DC output cord (11V/1A)
- 57" A/V patch cable (mini-plug on one end and stereo RCA and composite video on the other)
- 50" USB cable (USB-A connector on one end and Mini USB Version 2.0 on the other)
- Shoulder strap
- Wireless remote control (RM-V751U)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- BN-VF808U Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2 volts/730mAh)
- Plastic battery cover
- Ferrite core
- Digital Photo Navigator Ver.1.5 CD-ROM software
- Instructions (English/Spanish)
- Instructions Corrections sheet
- Warranty information (US)
- Warranty Card (Canada)
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
- Accessory Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC GZ-MG330
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.7|
|Total Pixel Count||1,120,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||680,000|
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 16:9|
|Optical Zoom||35 x|
|Night Imaging||Night mode|
|Image Stabilization||Digital (DIS)|
|Built-in Video Light||Yes|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||110|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||12.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||---|
2.7" Color LCD Monitor: The JVC Everio GZ-MG330 features a 16:9 wide screen 2.7" color LCD monitor (112k-pixels) that flips out from the left side of the camcorder. The screen can be rotated up to 270° (180° forward and 90° back), allowing you to choose the best angle. When the screen is rotated 180° forward the picture inverts so it's seen right side up from the front of the camera, or you can fold the panel flush against the side of the camcorder, with the screen facing out. The camcorder's Auto LCD Backlight Control will automatically adjust brightness of the LCD backlight for comfortable viewing whether indoors or outdoors. The LCD's brightness can also be adjusted manually.
Note: The camcorder does not feature a separate viewfinder.
Compatible Media: The Everio GZ-MG330 records MPEG-2 video with 2ch Dolby Digital audio and JPEG still pictures to a built-in 30 GB Hard Disc Drive (HDD). In addition to the HDD there is a microSD card slot, so you can also record video or still pictures to a removable microSD card (sold separately). The camcorder supports microSD cards from 256MB to 2GB and 4GB microSDHC cards.
HAD Protection And Stability: To safeguard the Hard Disk Drive from shocks and vibrations, the Everio has a Floating Suspension System that effectively dampens vibrations through polymer shock absorbers. Also incorporated is a Gravity Sensor System that automatically senses sudden acceleration such as in a free fall situation, and turns off the power to defend the hard disk so that a head crash can be avoided even when the unit is dropped.
Gigabrid Engine: Six digital noise reduction systems improve the S/N ratio by about 30% (3dB) over previous models, while the integrated MPEG-2 encoder helps reduce block noise and mosquito noise. It's assurance that all of those Gigabytes of video and photos you shoot will offer the best picture quality available for each recording mode.
Konica Minolta Lens: Zoom: The JVC GZ-MG330 is equipped with a high-performance lens developed by camera specialist, KONICA MINOLTA. It captures clear and bright images. The lens offers a 35x optical zoom. You can also choose a 70x or 800x digital zoom when recording video.
Image Sensor: The JVC Everio camcorder features a 1/6" CCD with 680,000 pixels for video and still image recording for exceptional picture quality.
Exposure And Focus Mode: The JVC camcorder offers the following exposure modes.
- Auto: The camcorder automatically adjusts the shutter speed, aperture and focus for you.
AE: You can record videos or still
images with optimum brightness by adjusting the shutter speed and exposure
to suit your surroundings or the subject. You can choose from
the following Program AE modes.
- Sports: fast shutter speed allows fast-moving subject to be captured one frame at a time vividly
- Portrait: the subject in the foreground is accentuated by blurring the background
- Snow: compensates for subjects that may appear too dark when shooting in extremely bright surroundings such as in the snow
- Spotlight: compensates for subjects that may appear too bright when shooting under extremely strong direct lighting such as spot lights
- Twilight: makes evening scenes look more natural
- Night: records with more sensitivity in dim locations by adjusting the shutter speed automatically
You can use manual recording functions easily by selecting the following
items in the menu:
- Focus: allows you to adjust the focus automatically or manually
- Brightness: brightness can be set automatically, or you can adjust the brightness manually from -6 to +6 in increments of 1 when recording video; when recording still images you can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 (EV) in increments of 1/3EV
- Shutter Speed: allows you to choose one of the following shutter speeds for video recording: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/100, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/2000, or 1/4000; allows you to choose one of the following shutter speeds for still image recording: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, or 1/500
- White Balance: to obtain accurate color reproduction under various types of lighting, the camcorder features automatic, preset, and manual white balance adjustment, there are three presets: Fine (outdoors on a sunny day), Cloud (outdoors on a cloudy day), and Halogen (with a video light or similar type of lighting), manual white balance adjustment can be done through the menu
- Photometry Area: enables you to adjust the brightness in the
desired spot when backlight compensation does not work well; you can select
from two modes
- Spot Screen: brightness for a specific spot is adjusted automatically
- Whole Screen: brightness is adjusted automatically for whole screen
- Effects: You can add special effects to your
- Sepia: the image has a brownish tint like old photos
- Monotone: the image becomes black and white like old movies
- Classic Film: the image skipping frames to give the effect of an old movie atmosphere
- Strobe: the image looks like a series of consecutive snapshots
- Tele Macro: enables you to shoot a subject as large as possible at a distance of approximately 2"
Backlight Compensation: Backlight compensation brightens the subject by increasing the exposure.
LED Light: When shooting video or still photos with insufficient light, the LED can turn on to improve visibility. The light has a useful range of about 4.9 feet.
File Search Function: You can switch the index screen to the date index screen, or event screen and search a file by the recording date or the event.
- Index Screen: You can view multiple files (up to 9) stored in a recording medium at a time. This browsing capability makes it easy to locate a particular file you want.
- Date Screen: You an search the desired file by the recording date.
- Event Screen: You can search the desired file by the event that you registered the file to when recording.
Special Effects: You can view videos and still images with various effects and scene transitions:
- Corner: wipe in from a black screen from the upper right to the lower left corner, or wipe out from lower left to upper right, leaving a black screen
- Window: the scene starts in the center of a black screen and wipes in toward the corners, or comes in from the corners, gradually wiping out to the center
- Slide: wipe in from right to left, or wipe out from left to right
- Door: wipe in as the two halves of a black screen open to the left and right, revealing the scene, or wipe out and the black screen reappears from left and right to cover the scene
- Scroll: the scene wipes in from the bottom to the top of a black screen, or wipes out from top to bottom, leaving a black screen
- Shutter: wipe in from the center of a black screen toward the top and bottom, or wipe out from the top and bottom toward the center leaving a black screen
- Fader: (when the screen fades in or out, the sound also fades in
- White: fade in from or out to a white screen
- Black: fade in from or out to a black screen
- Black and White: fade in to a color screen from a black and white screen, or fade out from color to black and white
- Digital Effects:
- Sepia: the image is given a brownish tint like an old photo
- Monotone: the image becomes black and white like an old movie
- Classic Film: the image is given an old movie atmosphere by the effect of skipping frames (video mode only)
- Strobe: the image looks like a series of consecutive snapshots (video mode only)
Laser-Touch Menu Operation: The scroll bar and buttons on the left side of the camcorder's LCD monitor are touch-sensitive so you can just glide your finger up or down the bar to choose menu items while its blue light follows your movements. You don't touch the LCD screen itself, so it won't get dirty or smudged.
TV Playback: You can connect the GZ-MG330 to your television using the supplied composite AV cable so you can view recorded video and still images your TV's screen. You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio to match your television screen's aspect ratio.
Remote Control: The provided IR wireless remote control is used to operate the Everio camcorder from a distance for playback or DVD burning.
Tripod: There is a threaded tripod insert on the bottom of the camcorder.
Built-In Lens Cover: Slide the built-in lens cap shut to protect the lens when the camera's not in use. It's integrated, so there's no risk of losing it like a separate lens cap.
Multi-Language Menu: You have a choice of 7 languages to choose from including English, Spanish, and French.
Digital Image Stabilization (DIS): To compensate for unstable images caused by camcorder shake, particularly at high magnification, you can turn on the camcorder's Digital Image Stabilization. DIS is also helpful when shooting subjects with vertical or horizontal stripes, dark or dim images, subjects with excessive backlighting, scenes with movement in various directions, or low-contrast backgrounds. The DIS feature should be turned off when recording with the camcorder on a tripod.
Note: DIS does not function during Digital Still Camera operation.
Wide Mode: Use wide mode when the video will be played back on a wide screen TV (16:9). The image is recorded in 16:9 aspect ratio to fit the screen without distortion. You can also choose to record your video in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Recording Modes: When shooting video, you can choose from the following recording modes (Approximate video recording times are listed).
|Quality||4GB microSD Card||30GB Hard Disc Drive|
|57 minutes||430 minutes|
|85 minutes||640 minutes|
|113 minutes||850 minutes|
|298 minutes||2250 minutes|
Continuous Recording: After 12 consecutive hours, recording stops automatically. A new file is created for every 4 GB of continuous recording.
Wind Cut: This feature helps to cut down on noise created by the wind on the microphone. It can be turned on or off through the menu.
Gain Up: When shooting dark scenes, you can activate the Automatic Gain Control (AGC) to brighten the image. The image is brightened but the overall color tones will appear grayish.
Event Registration: To make it easier to manage and search for the video clip you want to see, you can assign the appropriate category icon to it while you shoot or afterwards. It also helps when you just want to watch footage based on a certain theme, like Vacation, Birthday, Sports, etc., or when you want to burn just those scenes to a DVD. You can choose from the following Event Icons - Vacation (1/2/3), Holiday (1/2/3), Sports (1/2/3), Anniversary (1/2/3), Congratulations (1/2/3), Baby (1/2/3), Son (1/2/3), Daughter (1/2/3), Birthday (1/2/3), and Graduation (1/2/3).
Playlists: You can create a playlist by collecting previously recorded video files. By playing back the playlist, you can view your original video clips in whatever order you like. The playlist can then be modified or deleted. If desired, you can dub a playlist to an external device. A total of 99 playlists can be created.
Divide Movies: You can divide the selected video file into two and make a copy of the desired section as a new video file.
Dubbing to a DVD Recorder or VCR: Using the supplied AV cable, the camcorder can be used to playback video to be recorded onto a DVD recorder or VCR. You can also dub files from a DVD recorder or VCR to the camera if desired.
Image Size/Quality: The camcorder records JPEG still images with a resolution of 640 x 480 in a 4:3 aspect ratio. You can set the image quality to Fine or Standard.
Approximate number of storable images (still):
|Image Size||Quality||microSD Card||Hard Disc Drive|
|256MB||512MB||1GB||2 GB||4 GB||30 GB|
|640 x 480||Fine||1035||2060||4135||7680||9999||9999|
Copying Still Images: You can copy or move still images between the HDD and SD card in either direction.
Self-Timer: By setting the self-timer, a still image is recorded 2 or 10 seconds after pressing the Recording button.
Continuous Shooting: When Continuous Shooting is turned on and the Record button is held down, the camcorder stores one still image after another. The interval between still images is approximately 0.3 seconds.
Slide Show: You can playback all the still images automatically using slide show. Each picture is displayed for about five seconds.
Image Rotation: You can rotate a still image in 90° steps, clockwise or counterclockwise.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camcorder directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camcorder directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
DPOF Print Setting: This camcorder is compatible with DPOF (Digital Print Order Format). You can choose which images to print and the number of prints. This feature is useful when printing with a DPOF-compatible printer, or taking the memory card to a photo lab for printing.
Battery Pack: The camera comes with the BN-VF808U Lithium-Ion battery pack. Longer lasting optional batteries are also available. The batteries have the following performance specifications:
|Battery Pack||Battery Times|
|Charging Time||Recording Time|
|BN-VF808U (supplied)||1 hour 30 min.||1 hour 50 min.|
|BN-VF815U (optional)||2 hours 40 min.||3 hours 40 min.|
|BN-VF823U (optional)||3 hours 50 min.||5 hours 30 min.|
Note: Recording Time specifications taken when the camcorder's LEG light is off and the monitor backlight is set to Standard mode.
Data Battery System: The remaining battery capacity is presented as a multi segment bar graph. The total remaining time is listed in ten minute increments.
Quick Restart: In combination with Auto Power ON, you're ready to shoot in about 1 second when the LCD is re-opened, so you never miss a crucial moment.
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the camera will automatically turn itself off if it's not operated 5 minutes. The Auto Power Off function can be deactivated.
Windows Software: The camcorder includes a CD-ROM with the following programs for Windows:
- Digital Photo Navigator 1.5: allows you to change the format of still image files backed up on your computer
- CyberLink DVD Solution:
- PowerCinema NE for Everio: the main authoring software. You can perform various operations such as file backup, playback, and editing from the top menu.
- PowerProducer 3 NE: allows you to create DVDs with more specified setting. Automatically starts from an operation in PowerCinema NE for Everio.
- PowerDirector 5 Express NE: allows you to edit files on your PC. Automatically starts from an operation in PowerCinema NE for Everio.
Windows System Requirements:
- Operating System
- Windows XP Home Edition SP2
- Windows XP Professional SP2
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Intel Pentium 4, at least 1.6 GHz (at least 2.2 GHz recommended)
- Intel Pentium M, at least 1.4 GHz
- Intel Core Duo, at least 1.5 GHz
- XP: at least 256 MB (for creating DVD video by Power Cinema, 1GB or more)
- Vista: at least 1 GB (2 GB or more recommended)
- Free Hard Disk Space:
- For installation, at least 550 MB
- For creating DVD Video, at least 10 GB recommended
- For creating VCD, at least 1 GB recommended
- Connector: USB port (2.0 High Speed compatible)
- Display: must be capable of displaying at least 1024 x 768 XGA in high color 16-bit or higher (1280 x 12024 SXGA or higher is recommended)
- Internet Explorer 5.5 or later
- DirectX 9.0 or later
- Supported Media:
- DVD Video: DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW
- DVD-VR: DVD-RW, DVD-RAM
- DVD+VR: DVD+RW
- Video CD: CD-R/-RW
Macintosh System Requirements:
- Hardware: Macintosh must be standard equipped with a USB 2.0 connector
- Operating System: Mac OS X (v10.3.9, v10.4.2 to v10.4.10)
Note: The supplied software is not compatible with Macintosh computers. You can back up camera files onto your computer, edit video files, create DVDs, and perform other such operations by purchasing the Macintosh supported software.