About the JVC DLA-RS4500K
This projector's images are laser-sharp and laser-bright
This projector's images are laser-sharp and laser-bright
JVC's DLA-RS4500K laser projector is designed for discerning cinephiles looking to match or exceed the movie theater experience, at home. It delivers native 4K/HDR images with plenty of brightness to fill even the largest home theater screens.
JVC's exclusive BLU-Escent™ laser phosphor illumination provides 3,000 lumens of brightness and 20,000 hours of maintenance-free operation. The laser light source also offers dynamic light control for an infinite contrast ratio.
JVC is the king of contrast and black level
Video experts agree that contrast and black level are the two easiest picture characteristics to see, regardless of viewing distance or image size. Over the years, JVC's D-ILA-based projectors have built a reputation for producing the deepest blacks and best contrast in the industry.
D-ILA stands for Digital Direct Drive Image Light Amplifier. There are three D-ILA chips — one each for the red, green, and blue primary colors — and each has an LCD imaging layer placed on top of a reflective layer. It's this reflective layer that allows JVC's projectors to produce their exceptional native contrast, which is the contrast created by the imaging devices alone.
Customized HDR settings for each title — automatically
Compared to HD, 4K not only offers much higher resolution, it also adds HDR, which expands overall picture contrast range with deeper blacks and brighter highlights. The DLA-RS4500K supports the HDR10 and HLG formats, and automatically switches to the correct picture mode when it detects the HDR signal. It also includes special tone-mapping capabilities that ensure superior results with HDR-enhanced content.
No current consumer projector (or TV, for that matter) can reproduce the entire contrast range of HDR formats. So every display must apply a "tone map" to adapt the HDR content to match its capabilities. The DLA-RS4500K's Auto Tone Mapping feature looks at the maximum and average light level information provided on many HDR10-encoded UHD Blu-ray discs, and adjusts the projector's HDR settings for the most accurate picture.
For streamed and other 4K content that doesn't provide light level info, the DLA-RS4500K's Frame Adapt feature makes an educated guess about the best HDR settings based on scene-by-scene analysis. So you can always count on seeing a balanced, natural looking picture without having to fiddle with HDR settings each time.
There are lots of of HDR-encoded 4K movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the DLA-RS4500K has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for the large images of projector systems, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
You're in control
The DLA-RS4500K's 100mm 18-element all-glass lens provides exceptional sharpness and edge-to-edge focus. The motorized lens offers powered zoom, focus, and lens shift, ensuring pinpoint sizing and control of the image from the comfort of your viewing spot. The generous zoom and shift capabilities can easily accommodate most rooms.
An array of built-in controls let you fine-tune every aspect of picture quality. There are five preset picture modes — Natural, Cinema, HDR10, HLG, and Film — plus six customizable user modes to create and store your own. For experienced projector owners (or installers or calibrators) there's a full color management system for tweaking grayscale accuracy, provided you have the necessary measuring tools and test signals.
For cooling, the rear intake/front exhaust fan adapts to the installation environment to maximize its effectiveness, and it employs a professional level air filter that can withstand severe conditions. Special care has been taken to add functional beauty by applying a texturized matt black finish minimizing visible finger prints during installation as well as in theater reflections.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- 2nd-generation BLU-Escent™ laser diode/phosphor light engine delivers ultra-pure light with zero maintenance
- 3 D-ILA panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10, HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- Auto Tone Mapping and Frame Adapt automatically optimize HDR image quality
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 60" to 280"
- light output: 3000 lumens
- infinite dynamic contrast ratio
- 18-element, 16-group all-glass 100mm lens provides excellent sharpness and edge-to-edge focus
- Multiple Pixel Control image processor analyzes and optimizes images pixel by pixel
- Clear Motion Drive frame interpolation with Motion Enhance reduces blur and judder and makes motion look smoother
- wide color gamut — covers 100% of DCI P3 standard
- 10-bit processing enables over one billion colors
- color management system with 6-axis matrix
- THX® 4K Certified
- 3D-capable (requires JVC's PK-EM2 3D Synchro Emitter and PK-AG3 active RF 3D glasses, both sold separately)
- Low Latency Mode suppresses display delay for faster response with signals from PCs and game consoles
- 2X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- vertical keystone correction
- 9-setting Installation Mode lets you easily customize picture settings/lens positions
- 2 HDMI 2.0 inputs
- RJ-45 LAN port for controlling the projector via a network connection
- USB Type-A input for firmware updates
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output for controlling a motorized screen or other device
- 3-pin mini-DIN connector for use with optional 3D synch emitter
- detachable power cord
- laser diode light source lasts up to 20,000 hours
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (25 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 19-11/16"W x 9-1/4"H x 28-3/4"D
- weight: 82.7 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # DLA-RS4500K
What's in the box:
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Lens cover
- User Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC DLA-RS4500K
Features & specs
|3D-Capable||Active (req. optional emitter)|
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20,000 hrs.|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||3000|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port|
D-ILA (Direct-Drive Image Light Amplification): D-ILA (Direct-Drive Image Light Amplification) is a JVC-developed technology that delivers unmatched performance, with natural color reproduction, an image so smooth that it rivals film, and contrast that does justice to the most demanding program material. D-ILA is liquid crystal technology, but it’s very different from the liquid crystal display (LCD) technology found in many products today. D-ILA is what's called liquid crystal on silicon, or LCOS, but JVC made several improvements to basic LCOS technology to develop D-ILA. At its heart is the D-ILA device, or chip, designed and manufactured by JVC. Every JVC D-ILA projector uses three D-ILA devices, one each for red, green and blue - the three colors that are combined to create the full color palette.
- Three Imaging Chips: Many other projectors use a single imaging chip, while all D-ILA projectors use three D-ILA imaging chips (one each for red, green and blue), to ensure natural, flicker-free color reproduction. D-ILA devices use an inorganic alignment layer, which contributes to the device’s long life. This, along with D-ILA’s outstanding image quality, is what makes it so well-suited for commercial applications, and is a great benefit for home theater enthusiasts as well.
- Film Like: There is very little space between D-ILA pixels, which results in an exceptionally smooth, "film-like" image. Some technologies include moving parts, and space is needed between pixels for these moving parts. Other technologies require that a transistor be mounted on each pixel and wires run between pixels. This, too, forces pixels to be spaced farther apart compared to D-ILA devices. In both of these other cases, the moving parts, transistors and wires limit the total area through which light can pass, which limits brightness. It can also create what's known as the "screen door effect, which is a "shadowing" on the image caused by the spaces between pixels. Look closely, and it’s as if you’re looking at the image through a screen door.
- High Native Contrast: The D-ILA device structure helps deliver very high native contrast. This is in part a consequence of the vertical alignment of the liquid crystal layers. Most recently, performance has been further improved by using new technology to make the surface more even, and pixel spacing has been further reduced. The result is unprecedented contrast, delivering deep blacks, bright whites and subtle gradations.
BLU-Escent Laser Phosphor Light Engine: JVC's proprietary 2nd generation BLU-Escent laser phosphor light engine uses blue laser diodes, stationary inorganic phosphor and JVC's proprietary color management system. BLU-Esceny\t enables a consistent 3,000 lumen light output. Increased brightness ensures compatibility with larger screen sizes over 200 inches, and improved HDR performance, bringing greater depth and dimensionality to home theater screens. Using the Laser Diodes as the light source, light output can be controlled instantly enabling a contrast ratio of infiity:1. The DLA-RS4500K controls the laser output accordingly to the scene's brightness, which creates a picture that is as close to human perception as possible.
- Equipped with 6 banks of 8 laser diodes (48 total laser diodes) creating a maximum brightness of 3,000lm.
- BLU-Escent's 48 Laser diodes provide a built-in redundancy system to produce a high quality bright image over 20,000 hours.
- Low/Medium/High Laser Diode output settings are available with a choice of three Dynamic Control modes (Off/Auto 1/Auto 2).
- Additionally, a full manual lens aperture is available for fine brightness adjustments.
High Resoolution All-Glass Lens: An 18 element 16 group all glass lens and full aluminum lens barrel has been specically engineered for the DLA-RS4500K's 4K performance. Chromatic aberration and color fringing are minimized even when utilizing lens shift, resulting in precise projection of 4K content. In order to project 4K resolution to every corner of the screen, the new lens diameter is now 100mm, compared to 65mm used in previous JVC projectors. This lens allows a wide shift range of ±100% vertical, ±43% horizontal for a 16:9 image (±40% horizontal for a native 17:9 image).
- Lens Control: The DLA-RS4500K offers Focus, Zoom, and Shift adjustments. A powered Zoom allows you to fill the screen (60-280") with the projected image. You can sharpen the picture on the screen by using the projector's electronic focus. By using the Lens Shift feature, you can shift the image upward/downward (+/-100%) or left/right (+/-43%) to accommodate the projector and screen position.
- Screen Adjust: The projector does offer Vertical Keystone Correction (-16 to +16) and Pincusion (0-16), but these processes will degrade the image. Keystone correction can correct the shape of the image, if it is not rectangular. Pincushion corrects the geometric distortion that occurs when projecting on a curved screen.
- Installation Mode: The DLA-RS4500K is equipped with a new Installation Mode that saves and recalls up to 10 different combinations of lens settings for didifferent aspect ratios, lens presets, convergence and screen masking positions.
Wide Color Gamut: The new BLU-Escent light source and new Cinema Filter achieve over 100% DCI-P3 color space and over 80% coverage of BT.2020 color gamut. The gradation of sky or sea, the various colors of red in a crimson rose, and the countless colors of green of trees can be reproduced more vividly. The DLA-RS4500K reproduces stunning imagery and color when utilizing UHD content.
THX 4K Display Certification: The projector's THX 4K Display Certification ensures the precise reproduction of picture quality in 4K content, just as the original filmmaker envisioned. JVC's new 0.69 inch Native 4K D-ILA Device with 3.8um pixel pitch exceeds 4x Full HD resolution, displaying over 8.8 million pixels (4096x2160 pixels). With original vertical orientation technology and a planarization technique that reduces light scattering and light diffraction, the device realizes a very high native contrast ratio for a unique, Native 4K image. The result is smooth images without visible pixels even on very large screens.
- Dual HDMI Inputs: The DLA-RS4500K is outfitted with two HDMI 2.0b inputs for support of up to 4K (4096x2160) and HDR (High Dynamic Range) video. The HDMI inputs support 4K (4096x2160) @ 24/25/30/50/60Hz, 4K (3840x216) @ 24/25/30/50/60Hz , 2K (2048x1080) @ 24/25/30/50/60Hz, 1080p (1920x108) @ 24/25/30/50/60Hz, 1080i (1920x108) @ 50/60Hz, 720p @ 50/60Hz, and 480p. Use a certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable (18Gbps compatible) when inputting 4K video signals from an external UHD device.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the projector's HDMI 1 & 2 inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: Both HDMI 2.0b inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (4K60P @ 4:4:4/8-bit, 4K60P @ 4:2:2/10-bit, 4K24P @ 4:4:4/10-bit). With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
Note: The projector features no analog video inputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR content such as UHD Blu-ray discs incorporate extended dynamic range, 10bit color and BT.2020 color gamut. This demands exceptional specications and exacting performance from display devices. The DLA-RS4500K, employs high native contrast ratio with BT.709 and Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI) color gamut with BT.2020 color mapping, dynamic light source control and high brightness let you experience a full complement of HDR content. HDR content from various sources can be adjusted depending on screen size and screen type based on picture preferences.
- Auto HDR Picture Preset: When the projector detects an HDR10 signal it will automatically select the correct picture mode preset. The preset is based on the HDR10 standard, which follows the PQ gamma curve, 1,000nit brightness, and BT.2020 color gamut.
- Hybrid Log-Gamma: In addition to the widely used HDR10 format, the DLA-RS4500K supports HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma). HLG is used for high dynamic range live broadcast or streaming events.
Multiple Pixel Control: This new image-processing developed by JVC helps to create a natural impression that is sharper at areas in focus and softer at areas that are not in focus, enabling you to enjoy highly expressive images with greater sense of depth. The new algorithm has been developed to scale all video to 4K, giving extraordinary detail to all content regardless of source resolution. Native 4K images (up to 4K/60P 4:4:4) may also be fine tuned for the highest projected quality.
ISF (Imaging Science Foundation): The LicensedISF C3 (Certified Calibration Controls) Mode is used to reproduce excellent picture quality optimized for specific environments. The DLA-RS4500K offers preset and manual picture adjustments to fine-tune your viewing experience.
- Picture Mode: You can adjust the image quality according to the type of video image you are viewing. You can select from Natural, Cinema, Film, THX, HDR, or User 1-6. The User modes allow you to adjust the Contrast, Brightness, Color, and Tint manually.
- Color Profile: By setting the Color Profile (Color Space Information) according to the selected Picture Mode, you can fine-tune the image quality according to the movie you are watching.
- Color Management: Based on the setting of the selected Color Profile, you can adjust each of the following colors according to your preference - Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta.
- Color Temperature: You can set the Color Temperature to 5500K, 6500K, 7500K, 9300K, High Bright, HDR10, HLG, or Custom 1-2. The Color Temperature settings will vary based on what Picture Mode you have selected.
Optional 3D: The JVC DLA-RS4500K can be used to watch 3D movies with the use of an optional 3D Synchro Emitter (model # PK-EM2) and optional 3D glasses (model # PK-AG3) - available and sold separately from JVC. 3D video is supported up to 1080p (not compmatible with 4K)
Remote Control: In addition to controls on the projector, the DLA-RS4500K comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the projector. The remote control must be held at an angle within 30 degrees perpendicular to the projector's IR remote control sensors to function correctly. The distance between the remote control and the sensors should not exceed 23'. Make sure that there are no obstacles between the remote control and the IR sensors on the projector. It also features a RS232 port, Ethernet jack, and a 12V trigger output.
- RS-232C Port: There is a RS-232C port for connecting the projector to a 3rd party A/V controller or automation system (sold separately).
- Ethernet (RJ-45): The projector features an Ethernet (RJ-45) port for a wired network connection to a computer, so you can control the projector from your laptop or desktop computer.
- 12V Trigger Out: The 12V trigger output (3.5mm) can be used to trigger and power on/off external devices such as an electronic screen or light control. The 12V trigger out is rated at 12V/100mA.
Luxurious Cabinet Design: The DLA-RS4500K features an all-new cosmetic design, with a symmetrical cabinet that combines aluminum and matte black paint for a luxurious appearance while also reducing reflections. The center-mounted lens is set off from the black body by a gold alumite ring. For cooling, the rear intake/front exhaust fan adapts to the installation environment to maximize its effectiveness, and it employs a professional level air filter that can withstand severe conditions.
Special care has been taken to add functional beauty by applying a texturized matt black finish minimizing visible finger prints during installation as well as in theater reflections.
Mounting Options: The JVC DLA-RS4500K can be installed in front of your projection screen or behind your projector screen. It can be tabletop mounted or ceiling mounted (ceiling mount bracket sold separately - see Accessories Tab). If you are tabletop mounting the projector, you can use its adjustable feet to change the image height and projection angle. Before choosing an installation location for your projector, take the following factors into consideration -
- Size and position of your projection screen
- Electrical outlet location
- Location and distance between the projector and the rest of your equipment
Note: See User Manual for more information regarding mounting options and installation requirements.
Projection Distance Chart: The distance from the projector lens to your projection screen, the zoom setting, and the video format each factors in the projected image size.
|Aspect Ratio||Screen or Image Size (inches)||Projection Distance (feet)|
|16:9||60||5.75 to 11.85|
|70||6.76 to 13.87|
|80||7.76 to 15.88|
|90||8.77 to 17.90|
|100||9.77 to 19.92|
|110||10.77 to 21.94|
|120||11.78 to 23.96|
|130||12.78 to 25.97|
|140||13.78 to 27.99|
|150||14.79 to 30.01|
|160||15.79 to 32.03|
|170||16.80 to 34.04|
|180||17.80 to 36.06|
|190||18.80 to 38.08|
|200||19.81 to 40.10|
|210||20.81 to 42.12|
|220||21.81 to 44.13|
|230||22.82 to 46.15|
|240||23.82 to 48.17|
|250||24.82 to 50.19|
|260||25.83 to 52.20|
|270||26.83 to 54.22|
|280||27.84 to 56.24|
Firmware Updates: Firmware updates can be downloaded from the JVC Support Website onto a USB thumbdrive (sold separately) and then uploaded to the JVC DLA-RS4500K 4K Laser Projector.