About the JVC TH-C5
JVC's TH-C5 delivers countless hours of video and music entertainment in a single convenient package. It includes a 5-disc DVD changer/receiver, a full set of surround sound speakers, and a powered subwoofer. The front left and right speakers include built-in floor stands for easy placement. All five speakers and the subwoofer are driven by over 1,000 watts for engaging wraparound audio.
This system produces exciting surround sound from DVDs, VHS tapes, TV shows, and even video games. Plus, you can listen to your favorite MP3 mix discs and audio CDs. You can even groove to high-resolution music from stereo or multichannel DVD-Audio discs. And for added convenience, the multibrand remote can control most TVs, giving you a powerful and easy-to-use home theater.
Surround sound setup is a snap. All you have to do is sit in your favorite movie-watching spot, then clap your hands. The TH-C5 calculates the speaker settings based on your position, giving you optimum surround sound performance. How's that for goof-proof home theater?
5-disc DVD changer/receiver:
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, and Video CD
- plays DVD-Audio, CD, audio CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 and WMA CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, & Pro Logic® II processing, for surround sound from DVD, VHS, and stereo sources
- Smart Surround Setup
- selectable progressive-scan playback for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- 5-channel amplifier (167 watts x 5)
- digital tuner with 45 AM/FM station presets
- optical digital input
- 1 audio/video input (composite, S-video)
- video output for TV (composite, S-video and component)
- 15-3/4"W x 3-3/8"H x 16-3/4"D
- built-in 167-watt amplifier
- 9-7/8" driver
- 10-5/16"W x 19"H x 18-1/8"D
- built-in floor stands
- dual 2-13/16" drivers
- 9-1/16"W x 43-1/2"H x 11-1/4"D
- dual 2-13/16" drivers
- 12-5/8"W x 3"H x 3-7/16"D
- keyhole slots for wall mounting
- 3-3/16 driver
- 4-7/16"W x 5-13/16"H x 4-1/4"D
- remote with multibrand TV control
- speaker wire and composite video cable included
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- MFR # TH-C5
What's in the box:
- 5-Disc DVD/CD changer/receiver
- 1 SP-PWC5 powered subwoofer
- 2 SP-THC5F front floor-standing speakers
- 2 Front speaker base plates
- 2 SP-THC5S surround satellite speakers
- 1 SP-THC5C center channel speaker
- RM-STHC8J Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 1 FM wire antenna
- 6 Machine screws for mounting the base plates to the front speakers (each screw has a flat washer and a lock washer)
- 13' System cord (has an 8-pin male connector on each end)
- 69" AC power cord
- 6.25' Video cord (has an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Three 13' lengths of speaker wire (each has bare wire on each end)
- Two 32.5' lengths of speaker wire (each has bare wire on each end)
- Important Product Safety Instructions
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
JVC TH-C5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC TH-C5
System Overview: This integrated system includes a 5-disc DVD/CD changer/receiver, two front floor-standing speakers, a matching center channel, two satellite rear speakers, and a separate powered subwoofer. A multibrand remote is included for system control.
Audio D/A Converter: This unit includes an audio digital-to-analog converter capable of providing 192 kHz/24-bit and 96 kHz/24-bit resolution. The 192 kHz/24-bit and 96 kHz/24-bit capabilities of this unit allow it to play DVD Video discs with 96 kHz/24-bit audio tracks and DVD-Audio discs with sampling rates of 192 kHz.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music)
All Channel Stereo
Progressive Scan Output: This unit may be set to output a progressive scan or interlaced video signal from the component video output. Instead of splitting each video frame into two sequential fields like interlaced scanning, progressive scanning displays the entire frame in a single sweep. Where a standard DVD player's 480i output displays 30 frames (60 fields) per second, a progressive-scan player's 480p output displays 60 full frames per second. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film-like, with more fine detail and less flicker. Progressive-scan viewing requires a TV with a progressive scan compatible component video input.
Multi-Channel DVD-Audio Playback: DVD-Audio is a multi-channel format used for high resolution audio recording. This unit can decode and play DVD-Audio discs with a sampling rate up to 192 kHz with a 24-bit word length.
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit will play MP3/WMA audio files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 format. During MP3/WMA playback, rapid forward/reverse playback is not available. MP3/WMA files with a bit rate of 32-320 kbps are supported. This unit will recognize up to 99 groups and up to 150 tracks per group.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play back JPEG still image files recorded onto a CD-R or CD-RW disc using the ISO 9660 format. This unit will recognize up to 99 groups and up to 150 files per group. It is recommended that the material be recorded at a 640 x 480 pixel resolution. Available functions during JPEG disc play include Zoom, Slide Show playback, and Repeat (Group and All).
PBC (Playback Control) Playback: PBC playback allows you to play Video CDs interactively by following the menu on the TV screen.
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of a disc from the point where you last stopped. The stopping point is cleared from memory if you open the disc tray or press the Stop button a second time.
Zoom: The Zoom feature allows you to get an increasingly close-up view of the image (6 different levels). You can also move the zoomed image around the screen.
Video Fine Processor (VFP): The VFP function allows you to adjust the picture character according to the type of programming, picture tone, or personal preferences. There are 4 settings:
- Normal: for watching TV in a room with normal lighting
- Cinema: for watching a movie in a room with suppressed lighting
1/User 2: you can
adjust parameters that affect the picture character, and store the settings
as a user preset. The parameters include:
- Gamma: if the neutral color is bright or dark
- Brightness: if the overall picture is bright or dark
- Contrast: if the far and near position is unnatural
- Saturation: if the picture is whitish or blackish
- Tint: if the flesh tones are unnatural
- Sharpness: if the picture is indistinct
Screen Saver: You can protect against TV screen burn-in by a static image (such as an on-screen display or menu) by activating the screensaver. After approximately 5 minutes of display with no activity, the screen automatically darkens. Pressing any button will release the screen saver function.
Parental Lock Function: You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Display Dimmer: You can select one of three display brightness levels for the display window and the disc tray door.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the unit off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 10, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 minutes.
Tuner: This system has a digital AM/FM Tuner. You can store up to 30 FM and 15 AM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. FM tuning is done in 0.1MHz steps and AM tuning is done in 10kHz steps.
Powered Subwoofer: The subwoofer features a side-firing 9-7/8" cone woofer in a bass reflex enclosure. The system amplifier is located in the subwoofer enclosure. The amplifier provides 167 watts x 5 for the speakers and 167 watts for the sub. Spring clip outputs let you connect the speakers to the subwoofer using the supplied speaker wire.
Front Speakers: Each floor-standing front speaker uses two 2-3/16" drivers in a bass reflex enclosure. Each speaker has a set of spring clip terminals for use with the supplied speaker wire. Each enclosure is covered by a non-removable silver cloth grille.
Center Channel Speaker: The center speaker uses two 2-3/16" drivers in a bass reflex enclosure. The center speaker has a set of spring clip terminals for use with the supplied speaker wire. The enclosure is covered by a non-removable silver cloth grille.
Surround Satellite Speakers: Each surround speaker uses and upward firing 3-3/16" driver in a bass reflex enclosure. Each speaker has a set of spring clip terminals for use with the supplied speaker wire.
Speaker Mounting: Each surround speaker has an M5 threaded insert and a keyhole slot on the back that allows the speaker to be wall mounted. The center speaker has two keyhole slots. If you do not wish to mount the speakers on the wall, you can place them on any flat surface.
Video-shielding: The center channel speaker and front speakers are video-shielded, allowing them to be placed near your television without causing picture distortion.
Multibrand Remote: The TH-C5 comes with a remote that is pre-programmed to operate this system and a number of functions on different brands of TVs, DBS tuners, cable boxes, and VCRs. Several controls are located under a sliding lid that covers the bottom half of the remote.
AV Compu-Link III: JVC's AV Compu-Link III system simplifies operation of connected JVC-brand audio and video equipment. When this unit is properly connected to a JVC television, simply pressing play on the DVD will automatically turn on the TV and make all necessary settings. When a JVC VCR is connected and you insert a tape, the system automatically turns on and begins playback.
System Connection: The DVD/CD changer/receiver and subwoofer each have an 8-pin jack, allowing them to be connected using the supplied system cord.Speaker Outputs: The spring clip speaker outputs are located on the back panel of the subwoofer.
The JVC TH-C5 replaces these items
- Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic II decoding
- 140 watts x 5 & 300-watt subwoofer
- plays DVD-Video & DVD-Audio discs, DVD-Rs & DVD-RWs, CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3, WMA, & JPEG CDs