About the JVC XV-S400BK / XV-S402SL
Available with either a black or silver finish, these affordable JVCs give movie and music lovers a satisfying blend of dependability, convenience, and versatility. Customers appreciate JVC's easy-to-navigate on-screen menus, with features like "Digest," which shows the first scene in each of nine DVD chapters in a 3 x 3 grid.
Both optical and coaxial digital outputs are provided for compatibility with more Dolby® Digital/DTS® receivers. If you don't have surround sound yet, 3D-Phonic creates a virtual surround effect from just two speakers. The remote control makes DVD playback a breeze, and also handles basic functions on most TV brands. AV CompuLink simplifies operation of your compatible JVC A/V gear.
You'll love these players' audio versatility: They not only play your audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, but also ultra-long-playing MP3-encoded CD-Rs and CD-RWs. No need to spend time converting those MP3 files to regular audio tracks!
- plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- 27MHz/10-bit video DAC
- 3D-Phonic virtual surround sound for enhanced 2-speaker sound
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 1 set of A/V outputs (composite video, S-video, and component video)
- zoom magnification for play/pause
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- JVC AV CompuLink
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- 17-1/8"W x 2-3/4"H x 11-7/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the box:
- Silver DVD/CD/Super VCD/VCD/MP3 player
- RM-SXV006A remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 43" Stereo audio/video RCA patch cord
- 69" AC power cord
- Important Product Safety Information
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC XV-S400BK / XV-S402SL
Features & specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: This unit can play the following discs:
- DVD: 5" or 3" single sided, single layer, NTSC, ("Region 1" or "All Region" DVDs only).
- DVD: 5" or 3" single sided, double layer, NTSC, ("Region 1" or "All Region" DVDs only).
- DVD: 5" or 3" double sided, double layer, NTSC, ("Region 1" or "All Region" DVDs only).
- Video CD (VCD): 5" or 3". VCD has the capacity to hold about 74/80 minutes on 74/80 min CDs of very good quality full-motion video along with up to 2 stereo audio tracks. The quality of a VCD is about the same as VHS tape based movies.
- Super Video CD (SVCD): 5" or 3". A SVCD is very similar to a VCD, it has the capacity to hold about 35-60 minutes on 74/80 min CDs of very good quality full-motion video along with up to 2 stereo audio tracks and also 4 removable subtitles. SVCDs use a compression standard called MPEG to store the video and audio. The quality of the picture is about the same as S-VHS tape based movies.
- Audio CD: 5" or 3".
- CD-R: 5" or 3".
- CD-RW: 5" or 3".
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 10-bit/27MHz video Digital to Analog Converter, which reduces digital artifacts for a better picture.
Audio D/A converter: This unit has a 96 kHz/24-bit audio Digital to Analog converter that will allow it to play back video DVDs recorded with 96 kHz/24-bit audio. Note: When the unit is playing a DVD recorded in 96 kHz, no signal is passed through the digital outputs.
Component Video Output: In addition to the composite video output and the S-video output, this unit is equipped with a set of component video outputs. When connected to a television with a component video input, the component video output of this unit will provide picture color and detail that is improved relative to video from composite and S-video outputs.
On-Screen Display: The on-screen menu language can be set to English, French, or Spanish.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 audio recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 format. Although the front panel display will not show file names, the file names can be shown using the on-screen display. During MP3 playback, rapid forward/reverse playback is not available, tracks cannot be played back in random or programmed order, and the unit does not output a digital audio signal from the digital outputs. This unit will recognize up to 99 Groups and up to 254 Tracks per Group, however the number of Tracks to be played back on a disc is limited to 1023.
3D Phonic Surround Sound: When playing a Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Digital disc, this feature allows you to obtain a surround sound effect from only two speakers. You may select one of the following modes: Action, Drama, or Theater. Note: This feature only affects the analog audio outputs.
Zoom: The zoom feature allows you to double the image size for a closer examination of a particular part of the picture. You may move the picture around the screen while it is enlarged to locate a specific area.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes, which were shot from a number of different angles. Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Digest Function: The Digest function allows the unit to display the opening scene of each title or chapter on a DVD disc, or the opening scene of each track on a Video CD.
Strobe Function: The Strobe function allows you to display a series of nine consecutive still pictures.
Theater Position: You can select one of four levels (Off, 1, 2 and 3), each of which gives you a progressively darker picture. Off is the normal setting.
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of a disc from the point where you last stopped. The stopping point will be saved even if the power is turned off.
Repeat Play: The "Repeat A-B" function allows you to select any portion of a DVD, Video CD or Audio CD and have it repeat until the unit is manually stopped. When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title or the current chapter. When playing a Video CD or an Audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc.
Random Play: When playing a DVD, you can play the titles in random order. When playing a Video CD or an Audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order.
Program Play: Up to 18 titles or tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Fast Search: There are five fast-play speeds in both forward and reverse: 2X, 5X, 10X, 20X and 60X the normal speed.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of six slow motion speeds: 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 the normal speed. When playing a DVD, you may move backward through the program being played in one of five slow motion speeds: 1/16, 1/12, 1/8, 1/4, or 1/3 the normal speed.
Display Dimmer: You can select one of three display brightness levels.
Parental Lock Function: You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Initial Language Settings:
- Menu Language: Allows you to select a default display language.
- Audio Language: Allows you to select a default audio language.
- Subtitle Language: Allows you to select a default subtitle language.
- On-Screen Language: Allows you to select English, Spanish or French as the on-screen display language.
Initial Audio Settings:
- Digital Audio Output: Selects what kind of signal is passed through the unit's digital outputs. You can select PCM only, Stream/PCM (used when connecting the unit to a component with both DTS and Dolby Digital decoding) or Dolby Digital/PCM (used when connecting this unit to a component with Dolby Digital decoding (no DTS). Note: When the unit is playing a DVD recorded in96 kHz, no signal is passed through the digital outputs.
- Down Mix: Allows you to select Lt/Rt, which sounds best when used with a Dolby Pro Logic decoder, or Lo/Ro, which is used when the player is connected to a stereo amplifier or digital recorder.
- Compression: Used to compress the sound for better intelligibility at low volumes. Note that the DVD must support this function. This feature can be turned On or Off.
Initial Display Settings:
- Monitor Type: Allows you to select 4:3 Letter Box (automatically displays a wide screen DVD as letterboxed on a normal aspect ratio TV); 4:3 Pan Scan (automatically converts a wide screen DVD to Pan and Scan when supported by the DVD, otherwise it is played in letter box format) or 16:9 wide (used when using a wide-screen TV with a 16:9 ratio).
- Screen Saver: Protects against screen burnout by selecting a screensaver after approximately 5 minutes. You can select Off (no screen saver), Mode 1 (darkens the screen), or Mode 2 (uses the "screen saver" picture).
- On-Screen Guide: Allows you to turn the on-screen guide icons On or Off.
Initial System Settings:
- Auto Standby: Allows you to select when the unit will go into standby mode when it is not being operated or it is sitting in stop mode. You can select 30 minutes, 60 minutes or Off.
- Resume: Allows you to turn the DVD resume feature On or Off.
Video Out Select Switch: Allows you to select whether the video signal is sent out through the composite/S-video output or the component video outputs. Note: You can only change the video output when the DVD player is in the "Stop" position.
Overview: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control this unit and most popular brands of televisions.
- Audio Out: stereo RCA jacks
- Video Out: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Component Video Out: component video jacks (3 RCA jacks, Y/Pb/Pr)
- Coaxial Digital Out: standard coaxial digital jack
- Optical Digital Out: standard Toslink digital output with plastic cover
- AV Compulink: 2 mono mini-jacks for use with JVC AV Compulink equipped components
- AC In: AC input for use with supplied AC power cord
The JVC XV-S400BK / XV-S402SL replaces these items