About the OnVocal OV
The first headphones with Alexa voice control built in
The first headphones with Alexa voice control built in
Whenever a company tries something new with headphones, I get really excited. The OnVocal OV neckband-style earbuds are loaded with the latest, most convenient features for commuters and frequent travelers. But there's no doubt what the headliner is: A dedicated button that prompts the Alexa voice assistant. Get flight info, check the weather, or control Smart devices back at home — all while you're on the go.
Alexa will work when your phone is connected to Wi-Fi or on your data plan. You use the same Amazon Alexa mobile app that gets Echo devices started — a free download to most smartphones.
My initial impression
I've only briefly played around with a sample, but I can give you some quick notes. Along with Alexa, I was able to play music and take phone calls wirelessly via Bluetooth.
The boom-style microphone is real plus. A few friends told me that I sounded clearer than I normally did on my smartphone. And the neckband controls for calls, music, and voice are very comprehensive — there's even a separate button for your phone's Siri® or Google Assistant if that's more your speed.
Headphone essentials — sound and comfort
With all the innovation here, I'm glad OnVocal remembered to cover the basics. Once I secure a proper fit, they feel "barely there" and the sound is very clear and natural. The sturdy neckband helps keep the headphones stable, so I can move my neck and head around freely.
And they come with Comply foam ear tips — my personal favorite. These tips don't just feel super soft, they also help make a sound-isolating seal. This helps reduce all the noise of travel, so the balanced armature drivers can do their thing.
- earbud cables connect to a lightweight, sturdy neckband
- noise-reducing boom mic for clear voice control and phone calls
- neckband vibrates for phone call notification
- dedicated button summons Amazon Alexa voice assistant
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening and phone calls
- aptX® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- balanced armature drivers for smooth, crisp sound
Alexa Voice Assistant:
- free Alexa App is compatible with Fire OS, Android™, and Apple® devices
- access Alexa when your device is connected via Wi-Fi or your data plan
- stream music, podcasts, and audio books from TuneIn, IHeartRadio, Amazon Music, Audible, and other music services
- access to Alexa skills, such as news updates, weather reports, smart home commands, and more
- neckband controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, skip tracks, and control volume
- call answer button can be used for Siri or Google Assistant
- "ambient" button makes you more aware of external noises and voices
- mute external mic during phone calls
- free OnVocal app for Apple and Android lets you adjust music and call settings
- customize the sound profile and optimize voice features
- voice prompts provide information on battery life, device connection, and caller ID
General Info and Specs:
- rechargeable battery offers up to 8 hours of talking and listening
- Comply foam ear tips for comfort and optimal noise isolation
- 3.5mm stereo mini cable for wired use
- USB charging cable included
- includes padded hard carrying case
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- weight: 2.8 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 857824005007
What's in the box:
- In-ear headphones with microphone and in-line 14-pin plug
- Pair of Comply foam ear tips (installed)
- 3 Pairs of silicone ear tips
- 42" Audio cable (2.5mm sub-mini plug on one end and a straight 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 42" USB charging cable
- Hinged carrying case
- Quick Start Guide
- OV App card
OnVocal OV reviews
Just brought these headphone in Mar 2018 and now the ear piece that attach to mic is coming apart. This should not happen this soon.. Sound good less the static..Good bass
0 of 2 found this helpful
More details on the OnVocal OV
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.712" x 0.564"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The OnVocal OV headphones are neckband-style in-ear Bluetooth wireless headphones, designed for music playback and phone calls. The OVs have high-quality drivers for premium sound, and a boom microphone to enhance your phone conversations. The headphones also feature Alexa, Siri, and Google voice assistant integration with the tap of a button. OnVocal headphones come with 4 pairs of ear tips, including a pair of Comply foam ear tips, a USB charging cable, an auxiliary audio cable for connecting to non-Bluetooth devices, and a padded, hinged carrying case.
Balanced Armature Drivers: The OV headphones feature Sonion balanced armature drivers, which are known for their quick response, detailed sound signature, and wider, deeper sound stage. Sonion drivers known for high quality sound and can be found in many professional audio products and hearing augmentation instruments. These premium balanced armature drivers let you hear more detail in your music and phone conversations, as well as rich, deep bass and smooth vocals.
Neckband: The neckband contains the electronics, battery, controls, and inputs for the OV headphones. The neckband has two flex zones that let you adjust the width for maximum comfort. The ear buds and microphone plug into the back of the neckband via a proprietary 14-pin plug. On one side are the Volume Up and Down buttons, plus the Play/Pause/Next/Mic Mute button. On the other side, you will find the Power/Alexa button, Voice, and Ambient/Chat controls. The ends of the neckband have the 2.5mm line input and the Micro-USB charging port.
Onboard Controls: In addition to the controls on the neckband, the right ear bud has a convenient Command button for answering and ending calls with a single tap. If you're not on a call, you can also use the Command button to access Siri (iOS) or Google Now (Android).
Bluetooth: These wireless headphones feature Bluetooth technology, with a range of approximately 30 feet from the source device. You can pair the headset with up to six devices, but it can only connect with one device at a time.
OV App: OnVocal's OV app is designed to enhance your experience with the OV headphones. The app's Intelligent Sound Controls let you mix, boost, block, and customize exactly what you want to hear. You can see the remaining battery life of your OV headphones, expressed as a percentage, right on the app. The app is compatible with Apple devices running iOS 9.1 or later, and Android devices with Version 5.0 and up. Audio features of the app include the following:
- Ambient: You can control what sounds you hear and what you can't. Binaural microphones built into each earbud pick up ambient sounds, letting you adjust the level of your surroundings in the headphones.
- Voice: Allows you to adjust how much of your voice you hear in real time for better calls, voice commands, and for singing along with your favorite tunes.
- My Custom Mix: Lets you create a custom mix of the audio, ambient, and voice levels. You can create and save several presets for different situations and environments.
- Chat: Lets you carry on a face-to-face conversation without removing your headphones. It lowers the level of the music while increasing the Ambient and Voice levels.
- Aware: Aware lets you stay engaged with your surroundings.
- Karaoke: The Karaoke setting lets you sing along with your favorite song by raising the voice and music levels. You can adjust the mix to suit your tastes.
- Music Bubble: This preset turns off Voice and Ambient so you can immerse yourself in the music.
Line Input: The OV headphones have a 2.5mm sub-mini jack on the right end of the neckband. This Line Input lets you plug the headphones directly into any audio source equipped with a 3.5mm output, such as in-flight entertainment (adapter may be required), PC, or game consoles. A 2.5mm-to-3.5mm Line Input cable is included with the headphones. When the cable is plugged in, Bluetooth functions are disabled to save battery power.
Battery Power: The OnVocal OVs are powered by a rechargeable battery. The battery can be charged via USB, using the included USB charging cable. The Micro-B USB port is located on the left end of the neckband. A fully charged battery provides 8-10 hours of continuous music playback or talk time. You can keep track of the battery's charging level on the OV app on your device.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?