Passive in-wall subwoofer
Our take on the Revel B28W by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Room-filling bass from an in-wall subwoofer
I love my home theater's subwoofer. It delivers deep, hard-hitting bass that makes watching movies very satisfying. But that bass comes at a cost — a valuable chunk of living room floor space. A more discreet solution? The Revel B28W in-wall subwoofer.
Be sure to use matching Revel amplification
The B28W requires Revel's matching SA1000 subwoofer amplifier (sold separately), which delivers a mighty 350 watts of power, in order to reach its performance potential. This amp goes on your equipment rack along with your home theater receiver and other A/V gear.
If you have a large room, or want more evenly distributed bass, install two B28W in-wall subwoofers and drive them both from a single SA1000 amp. Running at four ohms, the SA1000 delivers 350 watts to each sub.
Revel's B28W in-wall subwoofer has a built-in back-box, which keeps dust and dirt out while providing a high-quality sonic enclosure for the subwoofer.
Ideal for new or existing construction
The B28W features two high-performance 8" woofers that are optimized to perform inside a wall. It's designed to fit between standard 2" x 4" studs that are 16" on-center, making it an excellent choice for both new and existing construction.
Built-in back box helps produce high-quality bass
Excellent performance is due in part to this sub's carefully designed sealed enclosure. You get consistently focused, powerful bass no matter what kind of space is behind it in your wall. It also keeps dust and dirt out.
Who is Revel?
Revel is one of the high-performance audio companies of global electronics giant Harman International. Since 1996, Revel has used cutting-edge design tools and one-of-a-kind testing facilities to develop speakers that measure well and sound amazing. The intensive design work happens at Harman's state-of-the-art speaker R & D facility in Northridge, California.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your subwoofer blend in with your décor.
- passive in-wall subwoofer for an in-wall music or home theater system
- designed to work with the matching Revel SA1000 subwoofer amplifier (sold separately, required for operation)
- two B28W units can be powered from a single SA1000 amplifier
- ideal for both new and existing construction
- fits between two 2" x 4" studs that are 16" on-center
- acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure
- dual 8" polymer-coated aluminum cone woofers
- long-throw woofer design with rubber surround for high output and low distortion
- built-in back-box delivers consistently focused, powerful bass no matter what kind of space is behind your wall
- paintable zero-bezel magnetic grille
- frequency response: 36-150 Hz (when paired with the Revel SA1000 amplifier)
- recommended amplifier power: 350 watts
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- cutout dimensions: 14-1/2"W x 23-1/2"H
- overall dimensions: 16-1/2"H x 25-3/8"H
- mounting depth: 4"
- weight: 28.4 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall subwoofer
- 8 Screws
- 8 Washers
- 8 Isolators
- Owner's Manual
Why Shop With Us?12 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||14.5 x 23.5|
|Woofer Composition||Polymer-coated aluminum|
|Power Range (Watts)||350|
|Connector Type||Spring Post|
Compatibility: This Revel by Harman B28W in-wall subwoofer is specifically designed to be used in conjunction with Revel's SA1000 subwoofer amplifier (sold separately). The B28W in-wall subwoofer is optimized to offer the best dynamics and frequency response with use of the SA1000 amplifier, which is specially engineered to drive the signature reactive load impedance of the B28W.
- The SA1000 single channel, rack-mount amplifier has two outputs in parallel, so you can power one B28W in-wall sub with 350W RMS (750W Peak) @ 8-ohm.
- When a second B28W in-wall subwoofer is connected to the second output of the SA1000 amplifier, the total output power increases to 700W RMS (1500W Peak) @ 4-ohm; 350W RMS (750W Peak) to each sub.
Note: The SA1000's EQ switch position "Type-2" and headroom management have been specifically designed for the B28W In-wall subwoofer. Use of the B28W with any other amplifier could lead to damage of the subwoofer and/or the amplifier.
Dual 8" Woofers: The Revel B28W features two high-performance 8" low-profile, long-throw, Klippel-optimized, polymer-coated aluminum cone woofers with rubber surrounds, which allow it to provide high-quality, high-performance low-frequency bass output.
Spring-Post Terminals: The B28W in-wall subwoofer is equipped with a set of spring-post terminals that will accept speaker cable terminated with banana plugs (single or dual) and bare wire (up to 10AWG). Use high-quality speaker wire to obtain the best performance from the Revel in-wall subwoofer.
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of 50' to 100', use at least 12AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100' use at least 10AWG speaker wire.
Note: The B28W is designed for the terminals to point up as it sits in the wall
Zero-Bezel Grille: The zero-bezel grille provides an unobtrusive look that allows the in-wall sub to blend in seamlessly with its surroundings. The zero-bezel design enables the in-wall subwoofer to become virtually invisible within the room. The ultra-thin design attaches magnetically and completely covers the in-wall subwoofer. The grille is also paintable.
In-Wall Installation: This self-contained, in-wall subwoofer with integrated back-box allows for easy retrofit installation application. The subwoofer's design allows for a very unobtrusive, clean look when installed in your home with minimal visual impact. The B28W will require a 14.5" (w) x 23.5" (h) cutout with a mounting depth of 4.0". A combination of "dog-ear" clamps and mounting screws secure the B28W in the wall.
Placement Options: Positioning the B28W in-wall subwoofer as recommended will provide the most natural soundstage and imaging from your loudspeaker system.
- It is recommended that you install your B28W in-wall subwoofer along the same wall as the front loudspeakers.
- The B28W subwoofer is not video-shielded and should not be placed near a video display affected by magnetic fields.
- Installing the B28W near a corner will tend to maximize low-frequency output. Be cautious when installing in a corner, to avoid a "boomy" sound.
- Also, take into consideration any unusual features of the room, such as an alcove, which may tend to create a localized node that may affect bass response in that area of the room.
Position-Independent, Double-Blind Listening Tests: Every Revel by Harman loudspeaker is compared head-to-head with competitors' models in a position-independent, double-blind listening facility. True research-quality processes assure the validity of the listening tests, which employ the latest psychoacoustic research.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Passive in-wall subwoofer$1,000.00 each
Monitor Audio CP-WT150
Controlled Performance Series 2-way in-wall speaker with built-in back-box$324.99 each
Polk Audio CSW155
Passive in-wall subwoofer with matching amplifier$1,299.98 each
Definitive Technology IWSub 10/10
Passive in-wall subwoofer with matching amplifier$1,648.00 each