About the Revel Performa3 F206
I've been a fan of Revel speakers since they first caught my ear at a high-end audio show many years ago. The Performa series shares many of the advanced technologies and materials of Revel's flagship Ultima2 models. The Performa3 F206 is a shapely full-range tower that blends easily into a variety of rooms and systems.
Clear, accurate sound from top to bottom
The Revel "sound" is characterized by clarity, accuracy, and uncompressed dynamics, creating an open window for the energy and emotion of your favorite music and movies to flow through. Whether you listen to rock, jazz, classical or a mix of genres, the F206 doesn't play favorites and it doesn't editorialize. It just gives you the music as it was recorded.
Custom-designed drivers reduce bad vibrations
Revel designs and builds every driver that goes into their speakers. The F206's 5-1/4" midrange driver and dual 6-1/2" woofers use aluminum cones that are anodized on both sides with a micro-ceramic composite compound. This reduces resonances that can color the sound. Revel uses advanced testing like laser interferometry to root out those kinds of sonic imperfections. And the black-anodized cones look cool enough to leave the grille off — especially in the white and walnut cabinet finishes.
The F206's 1" aluminum dome tweeter sits in Revel's concave Acoustic Lens waveguide, which increases the tweeter's dispersion at higher frequencies, and also helps create a more seamless match between the tweeter and the midrange driver just below it. The result is very smooth, consistent sound both on-axis and off-axis, creating a larger sweet spot.
Curved cabinet walls cut down on colorations
Looking closer at the F206's cabinet reveals curved side and back walls built from a series of laminated layers. These curved walls are inherently stiffer than conventional box shapes, and are reinforced by extensive internal bracing that eliminate enclosure-induced colorations.
The front-firing port and narrow, tapered rear of the cabinet help reduce interaction between the speaker and the walls of your room, making placement easier and less critical. Anchoring the enclosure is a flared plinth stabilized by adjustable spiked feet.
Tested by instrument and by ear
Revel's world-class speaker design and testing facility features an anechoic chamber and the latest high-tech measurement gear. But some of their most critical test instruments are the ears of their trained listening panel. When working on a new design, Revel's engineers set up a series of controlled auditions comparing their design to several competing speakers.
Speakers under comparison sit on a rotating platform, and each model is moved into the identical position by a computer-controlled belt drive system. An acoustically transparent screen hides the speakers from the listeners to avoid visual bias. These double-blind listening tests provide an essential reality check, and help the engineers correlate measurements with what listeners actually hear and prefer.
Build a complete Revel system
A pair of F206s can fill your room with gorgeous stereo sound. If you're interested in a voice-matched surround sound system, check out these other models from Revel's Performa3 series:
Center channel: Performa3 C205
Surround speaker: Performa3 S206
Subwoofer: Performa3 B110
Who is Revel?
Revel is one of the high-performance audio companies of global electronics giant Harman International. Since 1996, Revel has used cutting-edge design tools and one-of-a-kind testing facilities to develop speakers that measure well and sound amazing. The intensive design work happens at Harman's state-of-the-art speaker R & D facility in Northridge, California.
- 3-way, 4-driver design
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter with proprietary acoustic lens and waveguide for consistent dispersion over a wide listening area
- 5-1/4" anodized aluminum cone midrange driver with cast frame for reduced resonance
- dual 6-1/2" anodized aluminum cone woofers with cast frames for reduced resonance
- ribbed aluminum cones achieve piston-like behavior eliminating major sources of resonance
- advanced high-order crossovers optimize timbre accuracy both on axis and throughout the room
- cabinet has 1"-thick walls built up from curved laminated layers, plus extensive internal bracing
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with front-firing port
- low-frequency extension: 42Hz (-3dB), 34Hz (-6dB), 30Hz (-10dB)
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 50-200 watts
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- includes a foam port plug for adjusting the speaker's low-frequency performance
- removable grille is magnetically attached
- 10"W x 41-5/8"H x 13-7/8"D
- weight: 58.1 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # F206WH
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Locking rings
- 4 Washers
- Foam port plug
- Owner's Manual
Revel Performa3 F206 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Revel Performa3 F206
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||42- Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Floorstanding Loudspeaker: The Revel by Harman Performa3 F206 is full-range, three-way floorstanding loudspeaker that delivers an impressive combination of wide frequency range, uncompressed dynamic range and low distortion across the entire audible spectrum.
- 1" Tweeter w/ Integrated Acoustic Lens Waveguide: The Performa3 F206 loudspeaker is equipped with a single 1" aluminum dome tweeters that feature an integrated acoustic lens waveguide. The newly designed acoustic lens waveguide accurately matches the dispersion of the tweeter, midrange, and woofer in the crossover region and provide consistent sound over a wide listening area. It also generates extremely smooth, far off-axis sound, a critical factor in overall sound quality. Unlike previous waveguide designs, this new acoustic lens waveguide design actually increases dispersion at the highest frequencies, when compared to conventional tweeters. The result is a noticeably improved sense of air and detail, contributing to greater musical enjoyment.
- 5.25" Midrange & Dual 6.5" Aluminum Woofers: The Revel Performa3 F206 loudspeaker features one 5.25" midrange driver and two 6.5" woofers that incorporate several performance-enhancing advances which eliminate common sources of resonance and distortion that can compromise sound quality - even a high volume levels. The midrange and woofers feature ribbed aluminum cones that achieve ideal, piston-like behavior, cast-aluminum frames for excellent rigidity, and a motor-system distortion-reduction mechanism that stabilize the flux field during operation.
High-Order Crossovers: High-order crossovers dramatically reduce distortion and dynamic compression in this Performa3 Series loudspeaker. This reduction results in cleaner sound and consistent sound quality over a wide dynamic range. These advanced crossover also optimizes timbre accuracy, enhancing the listener's musical enjoyment both on axis and throughout the room. The carefully selected crossover components help Performa3 loudspeakers achieve exceptional performance.
Elegant Enclosure: The Revel Performa3 floorstanding loudspeaker's fully-curved enclosure is inherently stiffer than conventional box shapes and are formed with contiguous wood layers that prevent splitting. The enclosure features 1"-thick panels and strategically-oriented bracing that eliminates the possibility of enclosure-induced coloration. The beautiful, modern enclosure is finished in Piano Black or High Gloss Walnut in a process (developed and overseen by Italian luxury cabinet makers) that exceeds automotive finish quality. A magnetic grille eliminates unattractive hardware on the baffle and also minimizes diffraction and veiling.
Front-Firing Bass Port w/ Port Plug: The Revel Performa3 F206 floorstanding loudspeaker employs a sophisticated fluid-model designed low-frequency port with identical flares on both ends. This greatly minimizes dynamic compression and port-generated noise, assuring low-distortion low-frequency performance. The F206 also includes a foam port plug that can be used to adjust the loudspeaker's low-frequency performance in certain installation situations.
- If the floorstanding speaker is located less than about 2' (0.61m) from walls or other large objects, inserting the port plug into the loudspeaker's port opening can reduce the overly-aggressive bass output that can be created by the speaker's proximity to large surfaces that reflect bass energy.
- Insert the port plug into the loudspeaker's port tube opening far enough so that the end of the plug is flush with the inside end of the port tube's flared section. Be careful not to insert the port plug so far into the port tube that it falls inside of the speaker.
Binding Post Terminals: The floorstanding loudspeaker's gold-plated binding-posts provide secure connection for speaker cables terminated with banana plugs (single only), spade lugs, pin connectors, or bare wire (up to 10AWG).
Mounting & Placement Options: Four adjustable spiked feet are included with F206 loudspeaker. You can install these spikes in the bottom of the loudspeaker cabinet to provide optimal stability. If the loudspeaker is to be placed on a carpeted floor, install the spikes with the pointed ends protruding from the cabinet. If the loudspeaker are to be placed on a wood, linoleum or tile floor, install the spikes with the round ends protruding from the cabinet to protect your flooring. With the spike feet installed, the speaker measures 42.375" tall. Without the spike feet installed, the speaker measures 41.625" tall. For best stereo image and performance, follow these guidelines -
- Place the loudspeakers so that they are both the same distance from the primary listening position and so they are both the same distance from the side walls.
- Angle the loudspeakers almost directly toward the primary listening position. If you wish to widen the stereo soundstage you can reduce the toe-in angle, even to the point at which the loudspeakers are pointing straight forward.
- Moving the loudspeakers farther from the front and side listening room walls will improve stereo imaging and the sense of spaciousness in the listening space.
- Moving the loudspeakers closer to the corners or walls of the listening room will increase bass response.
Note: Placing minimal acoustic treatment materials at the room's primary reflection points will reduce sonic degradations. Ideally, acoustic absorbers should be placed at the first reflection points on the front and side walls and either acoustic absorbers or diffusers should be placed at the first reflection points on the rear wall. Check out the Accessories Tab for acoustic panels & treatments (sold separately).
Position-Independent, Double-Blind Listening Tests: Every Revel by Harman loudspeaker is compared head-to-head with competitors' models in a position-independent, double-blind listening facility. True research-quality processes assure the validity of the listening tests, which employ the latest psychoacoustic research.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?