About the Revel Performa3 M105
Small is beautiful
The M105 is a compact speaker that sounds much bigger (shown in High Gloss Walnut).
Small is beautiful
Compact 2-way bookshelf speakers are my favorite kind — they've formed the heart of my system for nearly 30 years. So when I see a beautifully built, finely tuned model like Revel's Performa3 M105, it puts a smile on my face. The Performa series shares much of the technology, materials, and musical mojo of Revel's flagship Ultima2 models. Matched with Revel's optional speaker stand, the M105 will put a smile on your face, too.
A speaker that disappears into the music
The sound qualities you expect from Revel — clarity, accuracy, and uncompressed dynamics — are all right here. The M105 also has the rare ability to disappear; it's nearly impossible to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. So just enjoy the seamless, spacious soundstage, and know that you're hearing the music exactly as it was recorded.
Custom-designed drivers reduce bad vibrations
Revel designs and builds every driver that goes into their speakers. The M105's 5-1/4" woofer uses an aluminum cone that's anodized on both sides with a micro-ceramic composite compound. This reduces resonances that can color the sound. And the black-anodized cone looks cool enough to leave the grille off — especially in the white and walnut cabinet finishes.
The M105's 1" aluminum dome tweeter sits in Revel's concave Acoustic Lens waveguide, which increases the tweeter's dispersion at higher frequencies, and also helps create a more seamless match between the tweeter and the midrange driver just below it. The result is very smooth, consistent sound both on-axis and off-axis, creating a larger sweet spot.
Curved cabinet walls cut down on colorations
Despite its compact size, the M105's cabinet walls are a full 1" thick, with the curved side and back walls laminated from single contiguous layers for consistent resonant behavior. These curved walls are inherently stiffer than conventional box shapes, and are reinforced by extensive internal bracing that eliminates enclosure-induced colorations.
The M105 employs a rear-firing bass-reflex port with identical flares on both ends. This boosts low-frequency output while minimizing dynamic compression and port noise. A foam port plug is included which you can insert to optimize bass response when placing the speaker in a bookshelf or up against a wall.
Tested by instrument and by ear
Revel's world-class speaker design and testing facility features an anechoic chamber and the latest high-tech measurement gear. But some of their most critical test instruments are the ears of their trained listening panel. When working on a new design, Revel's engineers set up a series of controlled auditions comparing their design to several competing speakers.
Speakers under comparison sit on a rotating platform, and each model is moved into the identical position by a computer-controlled belt drive system. An acoustically transparent screen hides the speakers from the listeners to avoid visual bias. These double-blind listening tests provide an essential reality check, and help the engineers correlate measurements with what listeners actually hear and prefer.
Build a complete Revel system
A pair of M105s can fill your room with spacious, 3-dimensional stereo sound. If you're interested in a voice-matched surround sound system, check out these other models from Revel's Performa3 series:
Center channel: Performa3 C205
Surround speaker: Performa3 S206
Subwoofer: Performa3 B110
Who is Revel?
Revel is one of the high-performance audio companies of global electronics giant Harman International. Since 1996, Revel has used cutting-edge design tools and one-of-a-kind testing facilities to develop speakers that measure well and sound amazing. The intensive design work happens at Harman's state-of-the-art speaker R & D facility in Northridge, California.
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter with proprietary acoustic lens and waveguide for consistent dispersion over a wide listening area
- 5-1/4" anodized aluminum cone woofer with cast frame for reduced resonance
- ribbed aluminum cone achieves piston-like behavior eliminating major sources of resonance
- advanced high-order crossover optimizes timbre accuracy both on axis and throughout the room
- cabinet has 1"-thick walls built up from curved laminated layers, plus extensive internal bracing
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with rear-firing port
- low-frequency extension: 60Hz (-3dB), 56Hz (-6dB), 44Hz (-10dB)
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 50-120 watts
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- includes a foam port plug for adjusting the speaker's low-frequency performance
- removable grille is magnetically attached
- 7-15/16"W x 14-1/8"H x 9-7/8"D
- weight: 15.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # M105 BK
What's in the box:
- Bookshelf loudspeaker
- Foam port plug
- Owner's Manual
Revel Performa3 M105 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Revel Performa3 M105
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||60- Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-25|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The Revel by Harman Performa3 M105 bookshelf loudspeaker is full-range, two-way loudspeaker that delivers an impressive combination of wide frequency range, uncompressed dynamic range and low distortion across the entire audible spectrum.
- 1" Tweeter w/ Integrated Acoustic Lens Waveguide: The Performa3 M105 loudspeaker is equipped with a single 1" aluminum dome tweeters that feature an integrated acoustic lens waveguide. The newly designed acoustic lens waveguide accurately matches the dispersion of the tweeter and woofer in the crossover region and provide consistent sound over a wide listening area. It also generates extremely smooth, far off-axis sound, a critical factor in overall sound quality. Unlike previous waveguide designs, this new acoustic lens waveguide design actually increases dispersion at the highest frequencies, when compared to conventional tweeters. The result is a noticeably improved sense of air and detail, contributing to greater musical enjoyment.
- 5.25" Aluminum Woofer: The Revel Performa3 M105 loudspeaker features one 5.25" woofer that incorporates several performance-enhancing advances which eliminate common sources of resonance and distortion that can compromise sound quality - even at high volume levels. The 5.25" woofer features a ribbed aluminum cone that achieves ideal, piston-like behavior, cast-aluminum frames for excellent rigidity, and a motor-system distortion-reduction mechanism that stabilize the flux field during operation.
High-Order Crossover: A high-order crossover dramatically reduces distortion and dynamic compression in this Performa3 Series loudspeaker. This reduction results in cleaner sound and consistent sound quality over a wide dynamic range. These advanced crossover also optimizes timbre accuracy, enhancing the listener's musical enjoyment both on axis and throughout the room. The carefully selected crossover components help Performa3 loudspeakers achieve exceptional performance.
Elegant Enclosure: The Revel Performa3 bookshelf loudspeaker's fully-curved enclosure is inherently stiffer than conventional box shapes and are formed with contiguous wood layers that prevent splitting. The enclosure also features strategically-oriented bracing that eliminates the possibility of enclosure-induced coloration. The beautiful, modern enclosure is finished in Piano Black or High Gloss Walnut in a process (developed and overseen by Italian luxury cabinet makers) that exceeds automotive finish quality. A magnetic grille eliminates unattractive hardware on the baffle and also minimizes diffraction and veiling.
Rear-Firing Bass Port w/ Port Plug: The M105 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a sophisticated fluid-model designed low-frequency port with identical flares on both ends. This greatly minimizes dynamic compression and port-generated noise, assuring low-distortion low-frequency performance. The Revel Performa3 bookshelf loudspeaker includes a foam port plug that can be used to adjust the loudspeaker's low-frequency performance in certain installation situations.
- If the bookshelf speaker is built into an entertainment center or shelving unit, or if the speaker is located less than about 2' (0.61m) from walls or other large objects, inserting the port plug into the loudspeaker's port opening can reduce the overly-aggressive bass output that can be created by the speaker's proximity to large surfaces that reflect bass energy.
- Insert the port plug into the loudspeaker's port tube opening far enough so that the end of the plug is flush with the inside end of the port tube's flared section. Be careful not to insert the port plug so far into the port tube that it falls inside of the speaker.
Binding Post Terminals: The M105 bookshelf speaker features gold-plated binding-posts that provide secure connection for speaker cables terminated with banana plugs (single only), spade lugs, pin connectors, or bare wire (up to 10AWG). You will need to remove the binding post's rubber inserts in order to use banana plugs.
Mounting & Placement Options: Optional Performa3 M STAND pedestal stands (sold separately - see accessories tab) are available for the M105 that place the speaker at the proper height for seated listeners. There are three 1/4"-20 threaded inserts on the bottom of M105 for securing the speaker to the M Stands. The speaker does not offer any rear-panel threaded inserts, keyhole slots, or integrated bracket for wall mounting. For best stereo image and performance, follow these guidelines -
- Place the speaker so the tweeter is aligned with a seated listener's ears, approximately 36" (91cm) above the floor.
- Place the loudspeakers so that they are both the same distance from the primary listening position and so they are both the same distance from the side walls.
- Angle the loudspeakers almost directly toward the primary listening position. If you wish to widen the stereo soundstage you can reduce the toe-in angle, even to the point at which the loudspeakers are pointing straight forward.
- Moving the loudspeakers farther from the front and side listening room walls will improve stereo imaging and the sense of spaciousness in the listening space.
- Moving the loudspeakers closer to the corners or walls of the listening room will increase bass response.
Note: Placing minimal acoustic treatment materials at the room's primary reflection points will reduce sonic degradations. Ideally, acoustic absorbers should be placed at the first reflection points on the front and side walls and either acoustic absorbers or diffusers should be placed at the first reflection points on the rear wall. Check out the Accessories Tab for acoustic panels & treatments (sold separately).
Position-Independent, Double-Blind Listening Tests: Every Revel by Harman loudspeaker is compared head-to-head with competitors' models in a position-independent, double-blind listening facility. True research-quality processes assure the validity of the listening tests, which employ the latest psychoacoustic research.
1 question already asked