About the Revel W383
Awesome in-wall sound from Revel
Awesome in-wall sound from Revel
Revel's W383 in-wall speaker offers accurate sound at a solid value. This model is a step-up from their entry-level W283, and it features an improved 8" micro-ceramic composite (MCC) woofer for better bass and midrange performance. This speaker is an excellent choice for an in-wall stereo system, or as a left or right channel in a Revel home theater system.
The Revel W383 in-wall speaker features an integrated tweeter waveguide, which provides excellent performance across a wide listening area.
The W383 benefits from the research and design work that went into Revel's higher-end in-wall speakers. For instance, the speaker's tweeter waveguide helps provide great sound across a wide listening area. And its high-order crossover network allows the woofer and tweeter to blend together seamlessly.
The W383 also features high-quality push-post input terminals for a solid connection with your speaker wire. A lifetime warranty guarantees excellent long-term performance.
Who is Revel?
Revel is one of the high-performance audio companies of global electronics giant Harman International. Since 1996, Revel has used cutting-edge design tools and one-of-a-kind testing facilities to develop speakers that measure well and sound amazing. The intensive design work happens at Harman's state-of-the-art speaker R & D facility in Northridge, California.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- ideal for an in-wall music system or as the left or right channel of a home theater system
- 8" micro-ceramic composite (MCC) woofer with cast-polymer frame
- long-throw woofer design with rubber surround for high output and low distortion
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter
- integrated waveguide provides excellent on- and off-axis performance
- tweeter is aimable to direct high-frequency details towards you
- high-order crossover network delivers accurate timbre reproduction
- paintable zero-bezel magnetic grille
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 10-125 watts
- cutout dimensions: 8-15/16"W x 11-15/16"H
- overall dimensions: 9-15/16"W x 12-15/16"H
- mounting depth: 3-3/4"
- weight: 4.9 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # W383
What's in the box:
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Scrim cloth
- Cutout template
- Instruction Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Revel W383
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Micro-Ceramic Composite|
|Connector Type||Spring Post|
|Cutout Size||8.9375 x 11.9375|
|Power Range (Watts)||Not given|
|Frequency Response||Not givenHz|
Two-Way In-Wall Speaker: The Revel by Harman W383 in-wall speaker utilizes a two-way driver design. It features a 1" angle-adjustable aluminum dome high-output tweeter with an integrated wave guide that provides optimized response both on and off axis. It also houses one 8" micro-ceramic composite (MCC) woofer with rubber surround for high output with low distortion. A high-order crossover network delivers seamless blending between the tweeter and woofer, as well as accurate timbre reproduction.
Spring-Post Terminals: The W383 in-wall loudspeaker is equipped with a set of spring-post terminals that will accept speaker cable terminated with banana plugs (single or dual) and bare wire (up to 10AWG). Use high-quality speaker wire to obtain the best performance from the Revel in-wall speaker.
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of 50' to 100', use at least 12AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100' use at least 10AWG speaker wire.
Magnetic Grille: The in-wall loudspeaker comes with a rectangular metal mesh grille. Powerful magnets in the speaker frame securely hold the grille in place. The grille covers the entire outer frame of the speaker and is extremely low-profile (sits out only 0.25" from the wall). The included grille can be painted to match your room's décor.
Applications: The Revel Architectural series in-wall speaker can be used in a two-channel stereo or home theater setup.
- Two-Channel Stereo: Place the left and right loudspeakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be the as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right loudspeakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left and front right
loudspeakers should be located on either side of the video display, with
their tweeters as close to ear level as possible. The front left and front
right loudspeakers should be relatively close to the sides of the video
display, while the center loudspeaker should be aligned with the center of
the video display (its tweeter should be no more than 2' above or below the
tweeters of the front left and front right speakers.
- 5.1ch Surround: In a 5.1ch system, the surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area (5'-7' from the floor).
- 7.1ch Surround: In a 7.1ch system, the surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area (5' to 7' from the floor), while the surround back left and surround back right loudspeakers should be located on the rear wall (3'-6' apart and 5'-7' from the floor).
Mounting Options: The W383 is designed to mount in a 0.5"-2" thick wall; it can be installed horizontally or vertically. Make sure the drywall, plywood or other wall material is capable of withstanding the weight (4.9 lbs) of the speaker. Use the included template to assist you with marking the cutout opening (8.9375" x 11.9375") for the speaker. Be sure there is at least 3.75" of mounting depth behind the wall, and allow at least 1" between the edge of the supplied installation template and any rafters or other obstructions behind the wall - so the speaker's "dog-ear" clamps will have room to engage fully. Use a phillips-head screwdriver to tighten the six "dog-ear" clamps and secure the speaker in your wall.
Position-Independent, Double-Blind Listening Tests: Every Revel by Harman loudspeaker is compared head-to-head with competitors' models in a position-independent, double-blind listening facility. True research-quality processes assure the validity of the listening tests, which employ the latest psychoacoustic research.
The Revel W383 replaces these items