About the Revel W990
Revel's best in-wall speaker
Revel's best in-wall speaker
Revel offers a wide range of high-quality in-wall speakers. The W990 is the pinnacle of their lineup, incorporating many of the company's best speaker technologies. With a true three-way design and a host of room-correction controls, this speaker will delight music and movie lovers alike.
Advanced signal distribution
I'll admit, three-way speaker designs aren't usually my cup of tea. That's because it's difficult to design a high-quality crossover network that doesn't "get in the way" of the musical signal. But Revel has overcome this challenge. They've invested significant engineering, design, and testing resources to ensure that their advanced high-order crossover network allows the 9" woofer, 3-1/2" midrange driver, and 1" tweeter to blend together seamlessly. The W990 is a worthy choice for an audiophile-level in-wall speaker system.
The Revel W990 in-wall speaker offers a host of sound adjustments to tailor its performance to your room.
The front panel of the W990 provides easy access to its sound control features. The 1" tweeter has a three-position output level switch which lets you cut or boost high frequencies — a valuable adjustment if you have reflective surfaces like hardwood floors or windows, or absorptive surfaces like thick carpets or upholstered furniture.
The W990 also has a boundary compensation switch, so you can adjust low-frequency output if the speaker is installed near a corner to prevent potential boominess.
This speaker even features high-frequency tilt and listener axis controls, which let you compensate for both vertical and horizontal placement limitations.
High-quality design for long-term performance
The W990 has a few other notable design highlights. Its tweeter waveguide helps provide great sound for listeners directly in front of the speaker, as well as those positioned off to the side. And high-quality push-post input terminals provide a solid connection with your speaker wire.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- three-way design
- ideal for an in-wall music system or as the left or right channel of a home theater system
- 9" micro-ceramic composite (MCC) woofer with cast-aluminum frame
- boundary compensation switch adjusts low-frequency output when the speaker is placed near a corner
- long-throw woofer design with rubber surround for high output and low distortion
- 3-1/2" micro-ceramic composite midrange driver with cast-aluminum frame
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- integrated waveguide provides excellent on- and off-axis performance
- high-frequency tilt (horizontal) and listener axis (vertical) controls help compensate for less than ideal speaker placement
- high-order crossover network features premium-quality components for extraordinarily accurate timbre reproduction
- recommended amplifier power: 10-200 watts
- cast-aluminum baffle with multi-point spring-loaded clamping mechanism
- paintable zero-bezel magnetic grille
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- cutout dimensions: 12-1/2"W x 19-1/8"H
- overall dimensions: 13-15/16"W x 20-5/8"H
- mounting depth: 3-3/4"
- weight: 17 lbs.
- warranty: lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # W990
What's in the box:
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Scrim cloth
- Frame alignment tool (block of wood)
- Cutout template
- Instruction Manual
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Revel W990
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Micro-Ceramic Composite|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-200|
|Frequency Response||Not givenHz|
3-Way In-Wall Speaker: The Revel by Harman W990 in-wall speaker utilizes a three-way driver design. It features a 1" aluminum dome high-output tweeter with an integrated wave guide that provides optimized response both on and off axis. It also houses a 3.5" micro-ceramic composite midrange driver with rubber surround for detailed vocals, and a 9" micro-ceramic composite (MCC) woofer with rubber surround for high bass output with low distortion. A high-order crossover network delivers seamless blending between the tweeter, midrange and woofer, as well as accurate timbre reproduction.
Controls: The Revel W990 provides several adjustments that allow the in-wall speaker to achieve the best possible performance in a wide variety of listening environments. The following controls are found on the front baffle of the in-wall speaker and hidden behind the removable grille.
- Boundary Compensation Control: The Boundary Compensation control reduces the speaker's bass output level to compensate for the greater reflection of bass energy when the speaker is placed near a wall. When possible, avoid mounting the speaker within 2' of a wall. If such placement is unavoidable, set the Boundary Compensation control to the "On" position. The Boundary Compensation control is located on the front baffle and hidden behind the grille.
- Listener Axis Control: The W990 will deliver the best performance when the speaker is mounted so that its tweeter is at the same level as the listeners' ears. The listener axis control will compensate when the speaker is mounted in locations that place their tweeters above or below the listener's ears.
- Tweeter Level Control: A 3-position tweeter level control
lets you adjust for optimum high-frequency response in a variety of acoustical
environments, or for using the speakers without grilles. Choose
between 3 settings -
- Increased High Frequency Output (+): Use this setting if the room has many features that absorb high-frequency sound energy - such as thick carpeting, drapes, and fabric-covered furniture.
- Normal High Frequency Output (0): Use this setting for most installation.
- Decreased High Frequency Output (-): Use this setting if the room has many features that reflect high-frequency sound energy - such as large uncovered windows, bare tile floors and large expanses of bare walls, or if the speakers are used without grilles.
- High Frequency Tilt Control: If the speaker is mounted in a location that places the tweeter well to the side of the main listening position, set the high frequency tilt control in the "+" position to help restore proper high-frequency balance.
Spring-Post Terminals: The W990 in-wall loudspeaker is equipped with a set of spring-post terminals that will accept speaker cable terminated with banana plugs (single or dual) and bare wire (up to 10AWG). Use high-quality speaker wire to obtain the best performance from the Revel in-wall speaker.
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of 50' to 100', use at least 12AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100' use at least 10AWG speaker wire.
Magnetic Grille: The in-wall loudspeaker comes with a rectangular metal mesh grille. Powerful magnets in the speaker frame securely hold the grille in place. The grille covers the entire outer frame of the speaker and is extremely low-profile (sits out only 0.25" from the wall). The included grille can be painted to match your room's décor.
Applications: The Revel Architectural series in-wall speaker can be used in a two-channel stereo or home theater setup.
- Two-Channel Stereo: Place the left and right loudspeakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be the as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right loudspeakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left and front right
loudspeakers should be located on either side of the video display, with
their tweeters as close to ear level as possible. The front left and front
right loudspeakers should be relatively close to the sides of the video
display, while the center loudspeaker should be aligned with the center of
the video display (its tweeter should be no more than 2' above or below the
tweeters of the front left and front right speakers.
- 5.1ch Surround: In a 5.1ch system, the surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area (5'-7' from the floor).
- 7.1ch Surround: In a 7.1ch system, the surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area (5' to 7' from the floor), while the surround back left and surround back right loudspeakers should be located on the rear wall (3'-6' apart and 5'-7' from the floor).
Mounting Options: The W990 is designed to mount in a 0.5"-1" thick wall; it can be installed horizontally or vertically. Make sure the drywall, plywood or other wall material is capable of withstanding the weight (17 lbs) of the speaker. Use the included template to assist you with marking the cutout opening (12.5" x 19.125") for the speaker. Be sure there is at least 4" of mounting depth behind the wall, and allow at least 1" between the edge of the supplied installation template and any rafters or other obstructions behind the wall - so the speaker's "dog-ear" clamps will have room to engage fully. Use the supplied hex-key to tighten the twelve "dog-ear" clamps and secure the speaker in your wall.
Position-Independent, Double-Blind Listening Tests: Every Revel by Harman loudspeaker is compared head-to-head with competitors' models in a position-independent, double-blind listening facility. True research-quality processes assure the validity of the listening tests, which employ the latest psychoacoustic research.