About the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBe
Play 4K video wirelessly
Play 4K video wirelessly
The wireless transmitter sends HD and 4K video to the projector.
Epson's Home Cinema 5040UBe combines the convenience of wireless HDMI with the ability to play 4K content, including movies and shows encoded with HDR (High Dynamic Range). These powerful features are paired with "pixel-shifting" technology to provide stunning picture detail. Install the 5040UBe in your home theater, and enjoy 4K and HDR-encoded content for half the price of a true 4K projector.
Enjoy an easier installation
If you've ever run a long HDMI cable through your walls or ceiling you know how challenging a task that can be. The 5040UBe uses wireless HDMI technology to eliminate the need for a long cable run. Plug your video sources into the included transmitter module, which you'll place near your components. The transmitter sends HDMI signals to the projector, which has a wireless receiver built in. It's neat, easy, and effective.
Impressive picture detail and contrast
Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel to provide a sharper image. This allows the 5040UBe to render 4K content clearly with remarkable detail, for a bright, crisp image.
The 5040UBe boasts a dynamic range of 1,000,000:1, for rich, deep black levels and bright, clear whites. You'll enjoy a heightened sense of realism as every scene from your favorite movie is rendered accurately.
Get a better picture with HDR
Movies and shows that are encoded with HDR give you incredibly vivid image color, brightness, and detail when displayed through a compatible projector. HDR is available on select Ultra HD Blu-ray titles as well as select programming from streaming services like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and Vudu — and the list is growing.
Add a 4K Blu-ray player to your 5040UBe projector and enjoy the best of both worlds. You can play Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray discs along with regular Blu-ray titles. You can also stream any 4K and HDR content that's available.
Enough light for bright rooms, enough control for dark rooms
Many high-performance projectors are designed for use in darkened or dimly lit rooms. That's fine if you have a dedicated home theater, but if you don't it can be a limitation. The 5040UBe has even more light power than its capable predecessor, so it's ideal for real-world family rooms, home theaters with really big screens, and situations where others in the room need to keep some lights on.
The 5040UBe's high brightness also comes in handy for 3D viewing since 3D glasses tend to dim the picture a bit. Three of the projector's picture settings are dedicated to 3D, so you can enjoy a gorgeous 3D picture without changing the settings for watching in 2D. If you are able to make your room really dark, you'll want to use one of the projector's lower light settings, and turn on the "auto iris" feature, which optimizes black level and contrast for each scene.
For the best picture quality from this 4K-compatible projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- wireless HDMI connectivity provides high-definition picture quality for both 2D and 3D without running a cable between your video source and the projector
- wireless receiver is built into front of projector; wireless transmitter module connects to video source via HDMI (wireless range is 32 feet; the signal is infrared and the projector and transmitter must be in the same room)
- 3-LCD, 3-chip technology (1920 x 1080 pixels each)
- 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel to provide a more detailed, higher-resolution image than regular 1080p
- accepts 4K Ultra HD video sources
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10) for extended contrast and brightness with HDR content
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 50" to 300"
- light output: 2500 lumens
- 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- dynamic iris for excellent contrast and black level
- wide color gamut delivers the entire sRGB color space, plus DCI in Digital Cinema Mode
- Frame Interpolation for reduced motion judder (not available when pixel shift is in use)
- Super Resolution detail enhancement improves the look of standard-definition video
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Epson ELPGS03 active 3D glasses sold separately)
- picture-in-picture (not available with 3D viewing)
Lens and Image Adjustments:
- 16-piece glass structure lens is optimized for 4K performance and precision
- lens has 2.1X zoom capability (powered zoom/focus)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- program up to 10 preset powered focus positions
- 5 HDMI (2 wired, 3 on wireless transmitter module)
- PC input
- optical digital audio output on transmitter module for use with non-HDMI A/V receivers
- USB input for firmware updates
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- 12-volt trigger output
- detachable power cord
- 250-watt UHE lamp (lasts up to 5000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (20dB in Eco mode)
- powered retractable lens cap protects lens when projector is not in use
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 20-1/2"W x 7-5/8"H x 17-3/4"D
- weight: 24.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor in-home or carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # V11H714020
What's in the box:
- Video projector
- WirelessHD transmitter
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 57" DC cord)
- 10' AC power cord
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 2 HDMI cable clamps
- Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Setup Guide
- Extra Care Home Service booklet
- Declaration of Conformity
- "For users outside the Province of Buenos Aires Argentina" note
- "Notes on the WirelessHD Transmitter" sheet
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBe reviews
I just moved to a new house and running an HDMI cable would be a cutting nightmare. I previously had a calibrated JVC RS20 so I was accustomed to a good projector. I was about to settle for an 85-inch sony when I figured let me try this projector and if it isn't good I can return in in the 60 days and just order the sony (from Crutchfield of course). Now to make a long story short not only does the wireless function work flawlessly but the picture is far better than my old projector. Granted the blacks aren't as good but I would say they are at least 95% or better and the rest is just flat better. Are there better projectors out there absolutely but none that are wireless and nowhere near this price. Don't settle for a tv because you think it is easier this couldn't be easier and I never set a projector up in my life, I had a professional installer do it. This time I figured I would just try it myself and see if I could save the 95/hr labor and the constant upselling and boom I'm happier than ever.
Pros: Picture, ease of use, ease of set up
Cons: Not one
0 of 0 found this helpful
I bought this as a replacement for a 5300ub that I was very happy with, and the improvements are impressive. I have this in a well lit room, yet it doesn't wash out, The picture quality is very clear on a 150" screen, I feel anybody would be very happy with this Projector.
Pros: Remote HDMI, Picture Quality and Bright Picture
0 of 0 found this helpful
Amazing picture quality, east setup, and the wireless transmitter works flawlessly. Could not be more pleased with this projector. As always, Crutchfield support is the best.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great projector, beautiful picture quality and quiet. Only criticisms would be that the setup instructions are not the most user friendly and remote is way too big and confusing. In contrast, the set up for my Sonos was Apple simple, Epson needs to get up to speed in user friendly standards.
Pros: Beautiful picture
Cons: Set up not user friendly
0 of 1 found this helpful
The projector is definitely an upgrade from the Epson 5020UB that I had for years. Loved that projector and love this one as well. Though I haven't seen a lot of the 4K HDR blu rays yet and only limited blu ray upscaling, there is an improvement. I love the fact that it does upscale all content to 4k and still has the capability to play 3D blu rays which I really like. Overall, glad I made the purchase. First time I've bought from Crutchfield. Excellent customer service !!!!!
Pros: Wireless HDMI, 3D Capability, Upscale all content, easy focus & screen movement adjustments.
Cons: Not sure of upscale ability on most content including 4k
0 of 4 found this helpful
Great projector. No complaints about picture quality paired with the 4k quality screen I paired with the unit...hard to believe actually. This is not what I consider an inexpensive purchase but have been saving and planning for outfitting a dedicated media room for several years.
Pros: Picture quality is excellent. Easy set up with the wireless connectivity. Adjustments for screen fit such as zoom, lens shift and keystone are easy.
Cons: The unit is rather large but I knew that when I purchased it. I bought it for its capabilities or function not form. Wish the Crutchfield website had more options for ceiling brackets. I need to drop mine about 3 feet from the vaulted ceiling.
0 of 0 found this helpful
As with all my Crutchfield experiences to date, the service, assistance before the sale with product escription and technical advice were all superior. The product not only met their description but exceeded it. Thank you again Crutchfield
Pros: Wireless, ease of setup, picture quality
Cons: Weight which given the quality is to be expected though
1 of 1 found this helpful
Incredible picture and lots of fun. Quiet fan, easy to adjust, and just plain great.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Very nice picture. Cant wait to try the 3D
1 of 1 found this helpful
Stunning picture from this state of the art home cinema projector. I'm blown away by the quality and couldn't ask for anything more. 4K movies look to die for (even blu-ray) and the fan is incredibly quiet. Highly recommend to anyone who is serious about home theater. By the way, Crutchfield is the best company in the world. Customer service is superb and its such a joy to deal with them. Thank you Crutchfield
Pros: Picture clarity, colors, size, fan quietness and Crutchfield. lol
Cons: Not a thing!
10 of 11 found this helpful
If you have ANY hesitation buying this projector, forget it! This will knock your socks off with quality and value. Sorry, Sony, nobody needs to buy your ridiculously-overpriced stuff when this awesome item is available. I already knew Epson was as good as it gets when it comes to imaging. I'd been a professional graphic designer and photographer for many years, and knew that Epson's high-end scanners and large-format (44 inch) printers produce gorgeous, state-of-the art results, and have intelligent, easy-to-use interfaces. But I was still blown away at how good the lens and image quality of this projector really is. I agree with others that Epson shouldn't have the wireless transmitter needing to be in front of the device, that seems kind of duhhhh right on the face of it, it should be mountable in the back. And I *would* like to be able to route the whole video AND audio HDMI signals through this device, not just the video, and having to separately run audio into your music system. But those are the ONLY complaints I could come up with, and I'm about as demanding and fussy a person I know. I'm not at all easily impressed, yet this one, and its wired counterpart, the 5040UB, most certainly *do*. I have no doubt these two are by far the best value projectors on the market.
Pros: Mind-boggling image quality. Unbelievably quiet.
Cons: The wireless transmitter should not have to be in front. Duhhhhh. Would be nice to be able to route audio through it. Micro-adjustments of focus and zoom might be a little easier, right now it's easy to overshoot them with each adjustment.
7 of 9 found this helpful
Our older Sharp Vision home theater projector recently died after many many years of service. We wanted our new projector to have as good resolution as possible with out going into the very costly 4k projector category. Our initial thought was the Epson 3700 but it would require us to pull up our carpet to hide the hdmi cable going across our living room. The 5040UBe wireless projector fit the bill exactly. Even though considerably more money than the 3700 the 4k emulation and much greater contrast in the 5040UBe was what we really wanted making it the best choice for us. The wireless connection to the projector worked flawlessly the first time and with seconds and we up and running. The picture is fabulous as described in the many written and video reviews. Going through the many menu options takes some time but is not difficult. The picture is very bright during the day and night with vibrant colors, fabulous high definition resolution, and great contrast. At night we actually use one of the less brighter settings. I highly recommend this projector and the wireless option. We are glad we decided to get the 5040BUe over the 3700 for the 4k emulation only available with the 5040BUe is tremendous and worth the cost. We highly recommend the Epson 5040BUe projector and buying from Crutchfield. We have bought many audio components from them for over 25 years and will continue to do so. If you are in the market for a high resolution projector this is the one to get.
Pros: It is all that it is said to be in the many review.
5 of 6 found this helpful
Great projector amazing picture
1 of 3 found this helpful
Excellent service and got product on time. This projector is perfect for us. Feel like you are watching in theater.
1 of 3 found this helpful
This is a five star projector but gets four stars because of the lack of flexibility on how you need to position the transmitter so it is in front Of the projector as opposed to in back of or underneath the projector. No mention of this before buying. So I have a projector there I paid extra for steaming but need to use an hdmi cable. But bright projector with good contrast and with good resolution somewhat even further improved when projecting 4K.
Pros: Picture Resolution Contrast Brightness Functionality
Cons: Placement doesn't permit streamimg
4 of 207 found this helpful
We were so delighted with the projector that we bought another for our second home within a week! We had seen a 4K television and that's what my husband wanted to buy. We love large-screen format, though, and I talked him into this great, but modestly-priced, projector. Using a projector and wall-mounted screen has cleared our living room of clutter and visibility from every seat is awesome. We are thrilled with the crispness of the images and the color & black/white range is noticeably improved. Even commercials appear better! We have been excited by the "upgrading" of BluRays when viewed with this projector. Crutchfield's customer service was also very, very, good and much appreciated by us. They readily addressed our questions and we felt fully supported throughout the buying process. Shipping was also on-time.
Pros: It's all good!
Cons: If only all movies were worthy of being viewed on this projector.
5 of 9 found this helpful
Magnificent! This is a very high performer projector. Best Buy's Geek Squad recommended it for my home theater. It is worth every penny. I am lovin' it.
Pros: Clear, crispy pictures. Fast start up and shut down. Wireless option.
1 of 2 found this helpful
Great product for those who want 4k display without paying 4k prices. Even the a/v installer couldn't tell that this wasn't a true 4k projector. Overall, very impressed.
Pros: Picture quality
3 of 4 found this helpful
Great picture I'm planning to buy another one for my master bedroom
1 of 5 found this helpful
Much improve wireless HDMI connection. Beautiful picture on 120 inch screen. Would recommend this product.
3 of 5 found this helpful
Great and LOVE THE PICTURE!
4 of 8 found this helpful
Our Epson 5030ub got damaged from a lightning strike. This 5040ube has exceeded our expectations!!!
3 of 5 found this helpful
This Thing is Great!!!
Pros: Great Projector
Cons: It doesn't come with 3-d Glasses
4 of 9 found this helpful
Pretty good projector. Great for 1080 stuff. Colors pop and big upgrade over 5030 model. Very Bright for daytime viewing. Works for 4K games but with less detail enhancement - however response time is excellent for Madden and Shooters. 25 ms ! Few drawbacks -No Frame Interpolation is an issue for non 1080P 24 (it works only for blu ray 1080ps). Some noise also with certain content. Big issue however Epson claims full 10 bit hdr processing but it only works at 8 bits with Xbox one S, Samsung KS 8500, and Panasonic UMP 900 UHD players. Works ok with the Phillips one I hear but that player is not as good as the panasonic or as versatile as xbox S and Samsung. If they fix that another add another star. Better Processing upgrade I assume will come as Epson is greart for that stuff - that may make it a 5 star but its 3 for now. 8 Bit color is lame, I am upset I cant enjoy HDR discs with 2 HDR Blu ray players!
Pros: Bright Great 1080p upscaling Soft Focus gives depth Incredible response time for games(for a high end product) Wide Color Gambit
Cons: Noise ar high Detail settings No Frame interpolation for most things 8 bit only support for HDR blu rays currently.
26 of 323 found this helpful
More details on the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBe
Features & specs
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||4000 hrs (5000 ECO)|
|Bulb Wattage||250 watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2500white/2500color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||6|
|Wireless HDMI Input||Yes|
|Component Video Inputs||N|
|Composite Video Inputs||N|
|USB Media Port|
Epson 3LCD, 3-Chip Technology: The Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE projector utilizes Epson's own 3LCD, 3-chip technology for amazing color, incredible detail and solid reliability. 3LCD's 3-chip architecture dedicates an entire chip to process each primary color - red, green, and blue, continuously. Unlike single-chip technology that delivers color sequentially, you get full-time color. The result is vibrant, realistic images and video all delivered with 3LCD's true-to-life color.
- True-to-Life Colors: 3LCD delivers up to 3x brighter colors in comparison with 1-chip DLP projectors. Color Brightness (Color Light Output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color Brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Additionally, 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Wider Color Gamut than 1-chip DLP projectors. With its 3-chip design, 3LCD delivers clear and vibrant images that are true-to-life. In contrast to 3-chip 3LCD projectors, 1-chip DLP projectors use a rotating color wheel that spins at a rapid speed, only displaying colors sequentially, which can result in color break-up or the "rainbow effect".
- Greater Detail & Contrast: 3LCD projection efficiently uses light to project to the screen with no color disruption. 3LCD technology delivers sharper and brighter images with superior grayscale detail. Grayscale is the shades of gray (from black to white) required for greater image depth and detail; it allows greater variation in shadows and brings superior accuracy to color, creating a jaw-dropping, true-to-life visual experience
- Energy Efficient: 3LCD projection technology uses light efficiently to create stunning images. In contrast to 1-chip technology, 3LCD requires 25% less electricity per lumen of brightness. 1-chip projectors use a color wheel, which leads to an inefficient design, thereby causing light loss. 3LCD does not rely on a color wheel. On average, 3LCD projectors are 25% more energy efficient.
- Simple & Reliable Design: 3LCD systems are reliable and use a simple optical design which includes 3 chips and 1 prism. Light flows seamlessly through the system to produce brilliant on-screen colors and sharp images every time.
Projection Lamp (Fan Cooled): The projector uses a 250-watt Ultra High Efficiency (UHE) lamp with a life span of approximately 4000 hours in the Normal mode, 5000 hours in ECO mode, or 3500 hours in High mode. The lamp (Part # V13H010L89) and air filter (Part # V13H134A39) are the only user-serviceable parts. The projection lamp is kept cool by a fan. The fan noise level is 31dB in Normal mode and 20dB in ECO mode. If the projector is to be used at an altitude above 4921 feet (1500 meters), the High Altitude Mode should be turned on so the fan can properly cool the projector at the high altitude air pressure.
Cinema Lens: The Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE's lens is designed and manufactured in Japan. It features a 16-piece glass structure optimized for 4K performance. It offers a powered optical zoom and powered focus with a F-number of 2.0-3.0, Focal Length of 22.5-46.7mm, and Zoom Ratio of 1-2.1. You can preset up to 10 positions of focus, zoom, and lens shift.
- Lens Shift: If the projected image is not centered in front of the screen, you can correct the position of the image using the vertical and horizontal lens shift dials on the top of the projector. The vertical position can be adjusted by up to +/- 96.3% of the height of the screen, while the horizontal position can be adjusted by up to +/- 47.1% of the width of the screen.
- Keystone Correction: The vertical keystone buttons, located on the side of the projector, can correct the shape of the image, if it is not rectangular. Adjustable from -30° to + 30°. The unit does not have a horizontal keystone adjustment.
Projection Image & Distance: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE projector can produce an image that is adjustable from 50" to 300" (measured diagonally). The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities (from 58.3" to 747.6") for a given screen size. The distance at which you place the projector from the screen determines the approximate size of the image. The image size increases the farther the projector is from the screen, but can also vary depending on the zoom factor, aspect ratio, and other settings.
|Aspect Ratio||Screen Or Image Size||Projection Distance (wide to tele)|
|16:9||50"||58 - 123"|
|60"||70 - 148"|
|80"||94 - 198"|
|100"||118 - 248"|
|150"||178 - 373"|
|200"||238 - 498"|
|250"||297 - 623"|
|300"||357 - 748"|
High Brightness & Ultra Black Levels: In the normal mode, the PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE outputs 2500 lumens of white light and 2500 lumens of color light for bright, balanced colorful images. Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118. The projector is capable of a dynamic contrast ratio up to 1,000,000:1 for deep, dramatic black levels.
Auto Iris: The Auto Iris system constantly controls the light output based on the gamma and black/white levels of the projected content to give you perfectly adjusted images and deepest blacks. Using the remote, you can select either Normal or High Speed to indicate how quickly you would like the projector to respond to changes in the brightness of the image.
Native 1080p Resolution with 4K Enhancement: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE has a native resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080) with 4K Enhancement. Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology delivers astonishing picture quality with every subtle intricacy is captured. 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by 0.5 pixels to double the resolution and surpass Full HD image quality.
4K+HDCP 2.2+HDR Compatible: There are two HDMI inputs on the projector that support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 4K/60Hz video signals. Because the 5040UBE only has a native resolution of 1080p, it has to use Epson's 4K Enhancement video processing technology that upscales the image to ultra-HD 4K.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by the projectors HDMI 1 input. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players, 4K Satellite/Cable providers, and ultra high definition online video services.
- HDR: The 5040UBE supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) video which reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- BT.2020: The projector is compatible with the new BT.2020 color standard which delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: The projector features a USB-A (300mA) port for connecting an optical HDMI cable that requires USB power.
WirelessHD Transmmitter: The Home Cinema 5040UBe also allows you to wirelessly stream Full-HD 1080p and ultra-HD 4K (non-HDCP 2.2) content from video devices to the projector. The supplied WirelessHD transmitter operates in the 60 GHz band and should be placed within 32' of the projector.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The WirelessHD Transmitter features four HDMI inputs for connecting your Satellite/Cable Box, Blu-ray/DVD player, Game Console, and other HDMI-compatible sources. The HDMI inputs support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 4K/30Hz (non-HDCP 2.2) video signals. You can even connect an MHL-compatible smartphone or tablet to the HDMI 4/MHL (IN) port on the WirelessHD Transmitter.
- HDMI & Optical Output: The WirelessHD Transmitter is also equipped with an HDMI output and optical digital output to connect the tranmitter's connected sources to your TV (the WirelessHD transmitter only outputs 2ch audio).
- The WirelessHD Transmitter's HDMI jacks do not support the latest HDCP 2.2 copyright protection for 4K ultra-HD content, so they will not support 4K content from satellite/cable providers, online video services, and Blu-ray disc which are copyright protected with HDCP 2.2.
- The WirelessHD Transmitter's HDMI jacks do support 4K 50/60Hz and 4K (SMPTE)/24Hz.
- If you're using an AV receiver, the preferred hookup is to connect your AV sources to your home theater receiver first, then go out from the receiver to the WirelessHD transmitter, and then to the TV. This configuration allows you to retain multichannel playback, since the WirelessHD transmitter downconverts multichannel audio to 2-channel.
- When projecting in Wireless HD, the following video signals do not support Deep Color - 1080p 50/60Hz (2D) & 1080p 24Hz (3D), 720p 50/60Hz (3D), & 1080p 50/60Hz (3D).
3D-Ready: Epson's advanced Bright 3D Drive technology enhances the brightness giving you theater-quality 3D images in your home. To view 3D content, you must first connect a 3D-compatible video device to one of the HDMI ports. You will also need a pair of Epson RF Active Shutter 3D glasses (ELPGS03, sold separately) for each viewer. The projector's 2D-to-3D Conversion setting will even transform 2D images to 3D content.
PC Input: You can also connect your Windows or Mac computer to the projector via VGA (D-Sub, 15-pin). The Projector's VGA input will support 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 768, 1366 x768, 1280 x 800, 1280 x 960, 1280 x 1024, and 1600 x 900 video images.
Image Settings: Settings on the Image menu let you adjust the aspect ratio, color, and quality of your image for the input source you are currently using. The available settings depend on the currently selected input source.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select the following image aspect
ratios, depending on the input signal from your image source. Black bands
and cropped images may project in certain aspect ratios, depending on the
aspect ratio and resolution of your input signal.
- Auto: Automatically sets the aspect ratio according to the input signal.
- Normal: Displays images using the full projection area and maintains the aspect ratio of the image.
- Zoom: Displays images using the full width of the projection area and maintains the aspect ratio of the image.
- Full: Displays images using the full width of the projection area, but does not maintain the aspect ratio.
- Color Modes: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE offers
six color modes to optimize viewing for different environments and image
content. The Color Mode adjusts the brightness, contrast, and color for the
best possible picture. A different color mode can be selected for each input
- Dynamic: For projecting the brightest picture available (2D or 3D).
- Cinema: For viewing movies in a dark room (2D or 3D).
- Bright Cinema: For viewing movies in a room with closed curtains. (2D only).
- Digital Cinema: Projects using the same color spectrum as digital movie theaters (2D only).
- Natural: For projecting natural, accurate colors in a dimly lit room (2D only).
- B&W Cinema: For black and white movies projected in a dark room (2D only).
- Fine Tune Picture: If the image colors don't look
correct, you can adjust them using the following settings.
- Color Convergence (Panel Alignment): You can use the Panel Alignment feature to manually adjust the color convergence (the alignment of the red, green and blue colors) in the projected image.
- Color Tone (Color Uniformity): You can use the Color Uniformity feature to manually adjust the color tone balance in the projected image.
- Manual Adjustments: You can manually adjust the images Brightness, Contrast, Color Saturation, Tint, Sharpness, and Color Temperature.
- Image Enhancements: Use the projector's Image
Enhancements to further enhance the projected video image.
- Frame Interpolation: This setting compares the current and previous frames, then creates a frame between them to reduce fuzziness and produce clearer moving images. You can select from 3 levels of frame interpolation.
- Super Resolution: This setting sharpens blurred images, enhancing the apparent detail of the image. You can select from 3 levels of enhancement. Note that intentionally blurred parts of the image, such as out-of-focus backgrounds, may become sharper. This feature is not available when projecting 3D.
- Detail Enhancement: Enhances details to create clear outlines for sharper and more refined images that are more lifelike. This feature is not available when projecting 3D.
- Noise & MPEG Noise Reduction: This setting reduces flickering of analog images, as well as reduces the noise or artifacts seen in MPEG video.
Picture-In-Picture: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE's Picture-In-Picture (PIP) mode allows you to simultaneously project two video images from two different HDMI sources next to each other. The second HDMI video source appears as a sub-screen in the corner of the main HDMI source image; you can swap the images. You cannot use Picture-In-Picture while projecting 3D or 4K images.
Remote Control: The Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE can be operated from its control panel, the included IR remote, HDMI-CEC, your computer, or a 3rd party automation system (sold separately).
- IR Remote: In addition to the control panel, the projector can be controlled by the supplied wireless remote control, which has a range of approximately 32'. The projector has infrared receivers on the front and rear to give you control from most anywhere in the room.
- HDMI Link: When you connect HDMI CEC-compatible devices, such as an AV receiver or Blu-ray player, to the projector via HDMI cables, you can control them using the HDMI-Link control buttons on the projector's remote control. You can register the devices you want to operate in the HDMI Link section of the projector's menu.
- Ethernet Jack: The 5040UBE's Ethernet (RJ-45) jack allows you to connect the projector to your network and control it from a compatible web browser (Internet Explorer 8.0 or later & Safari) on your computer. To use the projector over a wireless network, install the Epson 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN module (sold separately) into the projector's USB (type-A) port.
- RS-232C Port: There is also a RS-232C port for connecting the projector to a 3rd party A/V controller or automation system (sold separately).
Epson iProjection App: Epson iProjection is an intuitive mobile projection app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0+. Epson iProjection makes it easy to project images and files wirelessly from your compatible mobile device to the Epson projector. You'll be able to move about the room and effortlessly display content from your Apple iOS or Android device on the big screen. Key features include -
- QR code easy pairing is now supported.
- Display documents loaded in the Epson iProjection app on your mobile device.
- Display web pages and images stored in the "Photo" library of your mobile device.
- Use the built-in projector remote control feature to control input sources, AV mute, freeze, audio settings, operate menu, zoom by finger with Touchpad and more.
- Send files from your email or cloud storage apps to the iProjection app.
- Marker function enables highlighting and annotation of projected photos and documents and also saving annotation to your device
- Supported Formats & Activities: Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx, Office 2003 or later), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx, Office 2003 or later), Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx, Office 2003 or later), Keynote (.key), Adobe PDF(v1.7) (.pdf, Acrobat 8 compatible or later), .JPG, and .PNG.
- Activities Not Supported: The Epson iProjection app does not support video playback, PowerPoint and Keynote animations, or mirroring.
Trigger Output: The projector has a 3.5mm Trigger Output port which delivers a 12-volt signal (max 200 mA) to lower your motorized projector screen while the projector is powered on.
Sleep Mode: The projector turns off automatically when no video signal is received for a preset amount of time. You can set the sleep mode to 5, 10, or 30 minutes.
Mounting Options: The PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UBE can be placed on a tabletop or inverted and mounted on the ceiling. It can be used for front or rear projection. For tabletop use, you can adjust the image position by raising or lowering the front feet. For ceiling mounting, you will need an optional projector ceiling mount (sold separately). Nine 4mm threaded screw holes are provided on the bottom for a ceiling mount. A commercially-available Kensington security lock can be attached to the unit to prevent theft when installed in a public location.
Firmware & Software Updates (via USB): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Epson's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
Warranty and Extra Care Home Service: The projector is covered by a 2-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days. Included with the warranty, Epson offers Extra Care Home Service. A replacement unit (in most cases, a refurbished unit) will be shipped to you immediately. (A credit card is required for security deposit.) If it's important that you receive your original projector back, you should use the basic carry-in service instead of Home Service.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
8 questions already asked