About the Epson Home Cinema 5050UB
4K/HDR compatibility at a great price
4K/HDR compatibility at a great price
Projectors with native 4K resolution provide an incredible viewing experience, but they're still priced too high for many home theater fans. So check out Epson's latest high-performance, high-value alternative. The Home Cinema 5050UB uses three 1080p LCD chips and Epson's updated pixel-shifting technology to produce an image that's exceptionally sharp and dimensional — it looks closer to native 4K than to 1080p.
Impressive picture detail, color and contrast
Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel and combines the two images to provide a sharper picture. This allows the 5050UB to render 4K content clearly with stunning detail and lifelike textures. This projector accepts native 4K content, including movies and shows encoded with HDR.
But there's much more to this projector's story than its impressive picture detail. Epson developed dedicated processors to handle three of the most critical aspects of image quality. First, a 4K Resolution Enhancement processor works with the pixel-shifting hardware to produce images that really grab you — even when it's upconverting non-4K material.
Full 10-bit HDR color processing faithfully reproduces HDR's expanded color gamut. And real-time 12-bit video processing ensures smooth tonal transitions, while eliminating banding, blocking and other compression artifacts common to streamed video sources. The resulting picture displays refined color accuracy, whether the on-screen tones are deeply saturated or subtle.
Experience HDR on a big screen
Movies and TV shows encoded with HDR (High Dynamic Range) offer an expanded range of color and contrast when displayed through a compatible projector like the 5050UB. HDR is available on most recent Ultra HD Blu-ray titles as well as on lots of 4K movies and TV series from streaming services like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and Vudu — and the list keeps growing.
Use a 4K Blu-ray player to feed the 5050UB and enjoy an amazing picture for both high-def and 4K discs. And you'll want to dig out your favorite DVD titles, too, because Epson's Super Resolution "smart sharpening" feature gives standard-definition video a crisp, clean look.
Loads of light for bright rooms, enough control for dark rooms
Many high-performance projectors are designed for use in darkened or dimly lit rooms. That's fine if you have a dedicated home theater, but if you don't it can be a limitation. The 5050UB has loads of light power so it's ideal for real-world family rooms, home theaters with really big screens, and situations where others in the room need to keep some lights on.
The 5050UB's high brightness also comes in handy for 3D viewing since 3D glasses tend to dim the picture a bit. Thanks to its dedicated 3D picture settings, you can enjoy a gorgeous 3D picture without changing the settings for watching in 2D.
If you're able to make your room really dark, you'll want to try one of the projector's lower light settings, like "Cinema," and turn on the auto iris feature, which optimizes black level and contrast for every scene.
Flexible placement and hookup options
For spontaneous or "event" viewing, the 5050UB sets up easily on a table or shelf. Front-mounted air intake and exhaust vents let you place the projector close to a rear wall, if necessary. Or you can use an optional ceiling mount for a more permanent installation.
Powered horizontal and vertical lens shift allow you to position the projector off-center and still get a perfectly true image. Two 4K/HDR-compatible HDMI inputs are provided for your high-definition or 4K sources.
For the best picture quality from this 4K-compatible projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- 3-LCD, 3-chip projection technology
- 1080p native resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels) with Epson PRO-UHD™ 4K Enhancement Technology
- 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel to provide a more detailed, higher-resolution image than 1080p
- accepts 4K Ultra HD video sources
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10, HLG) for extended contrast and brightness with HDR content
- full 10-bit color processing delivers 100% of the DCI-P3 color gamut
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 50" to 300"
- light output: 2600 lumens
- Epson UltraBlack™ technology suppresses light leakage, produces 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- auto iris enhances contrast and black levels
- Frame Interpolation reduces motion judder (not available when pixel shift is in use)
- Super Resolution detail enhancement improves the look of standard-definition video
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Epson ELPGS03 active 3D glasses sold separately; resolution is Full HD in 3D mode)
- picture-in-picture (not available in 3D mode)
Lens and Image Adjustments:
- 15-element all-glass lens designed specifically for 4K/HDR content
- Extra Low Dispersion Glass optics for outstanding image clarity and edge-to-edge focus uniformity
- lens has 2.1X zoom capability (powered zoom/focus)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- program up to 10 preset powered focus positions
- 2 HDMI 2.0b inputs
- PC input
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 2 USB ports (one is for an optional HDMI cable with power supply; the other is for firmware update and an optional Wi-Fi module with power supply)
- miniUSB port for software updates
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- 12-volt trigger output
- 250-watt UHE lamp (lasts up to 5000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (20dB in Eco mode)
- powered retractable lens cap protects lens when projector is not in use
- illuminated remote control
- detachable power cord
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 20-1/2"W x 7-5/8"H x 17-3/4"D
- weight: 24.3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor in-home or carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # V11H930020
More details on the Epson Home Cinema 5050UB
Features & specs
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||4000 hrs (5000 ECO)|
|Bulb Wattage||250 watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2600white/2600color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||2|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||N|
|Composite Video Inputs||N|
|USB Media Port|