About the Epson EpiqVision™ Mini EF12
An all-in-one solution
An all-in-one solution
Whenever I'm tempted to invest in a projector setup — which has been a lot this year — I have to remind myself of the lack of storage space in this house. I just don't have room for all the extra gear that goes along with running a projector (speakers, cable, Blu-ray player, screen, etc.). Well, Epson's new mini EF12 has largely eliminated my lack-of-space argument with a stacked feature set that removes the need for most of those extra items.
Easily stream your movies and shows
The EF12 has the Android TV streaming platform built in, so you can access your favorite streaming services like Netflix, YouTube, and HBO without having to hook up a separate source. And you can even search using your voice thanks to the remote's built-in Google Assistant.
Keep in mind that you will need to be connected to Wi-Fi® to make use of these awesome features. But the projector's dual-band compatibility helps you get a fast, reliable connection.
Sound by Yamaha
Most projectors include a tiny speaker with the expectation that you'll be connecting your own separate sound system. While the EF12 is more compact than many projectors, about half of it appears to be devoted to clearly reproducing audio using a custom-designed built-in Yamaha speaker system. You can even connect to it via Bluetooth® and use it as a standalone speaker during your movie's intermission.
A bright, colorful picture — up to 150"
Epson has managed to fit some premium technology into this clean, compact design, including their MicroLaser Array and a trio of high-definition LCD imaging chips. So you can project a bright, colorful 1080p picture almost anywhere you can run a power cord. And the Auto Picture Skew & Focus Correction feature can automatically adjust the picture to accommodate a wide range of orientations.
More connections are there if you need them
There are two HDMI inputs for connecting other gear, like a Blu-ray player or a laptop. And one input is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC) for added flexibility in connecting to a separate sound system. A USB port lets you plug in a digital camera or thumb drive, and a stereo minijack output lets you connect headphones or external powered speakers.
- Featured in our article: Best home theater projectors for 2023
- 3-LCD, 3-chip technology with HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- scene-based color correction for clear, natural picture
- color modes: dynamic, vivid, bright cinema, natural, cinema
- recommended image size: 30" to 150"
- throw ratio of 1:1
- light output: 1000 lumens
- 200,000:1 contrast ratio
- built-in Android TV for streaming content
- voice search with remote's built-in Google Assistant
- Chromecast built-in for casting content from your compatible Apple® or Android™ device
- Bluetooth 5.0 lets you stream music from your phone to built-in speaker
- vertical keystone correction: +/- 34° (auto)
- horizontal keystone correction: +/- 40° (manual)
- real time auto picture skew and focus correction for screen sizes 30"-100" and throw distances 26"-88"
- 2 HDMI inputs
- one input supports Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- stereo minijack output for connecting headphones or external speakers
- USB-A input for mic, camera, or USB storage device
- USB-B for service only
- detachable power cord
- built-in Yamaha stereo speaker system (5 watts)
- connect via Bluetooth to use as a standalone speaker
- multi-array laser diode (lasts up to 20,000 hours in normal/quiet mode)
- quiet cooling fan (22-27 dB)
- remote control with operating distance of 16.4 feet
- projection method: front, upside down
- 8-1/4"W x 5-3/8"H x 7"D
- weight: 4.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # V11HA14020
What's in the box:
Epson EpiqVision™ Mini EF12 owner's manual
- Laser projector
- AC power supply (attached 57" DC cord)
- 39" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Quick Setup Guide
- Information Regarding Waste and Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
Epson EpiqVision™ Mini EF12 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Epson EpiqVision™ Mini EF12
Features & specs
|Native Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Resolution with Pixel Shift||N/A|
|Picture Size Range||30 to 150 inches|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1000|
|Mounting Options and Design|
|Ultra Short Throw||No|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Smart TV Features|
|Apple TV App||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||ARC supported|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|USB Media Port||1|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20,000 hrs|
|Vertical Lens Shift||No|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-Home or Carry_in|
MicroLaser Array Projection Technology: The Epson EpiqVision EF-12 utilizes a unique multi-array laser diode technology that produces an exceptional level of brightness, while significantly enhancing black density. Based on this unique Epson MicroLaser Array Technology, the projector is capable of producing an incredibly bright and colorful image up to 150" on virtually any wall or dedicated screen. The Epson EF-12 mini-laser projector will accept a 4K input signal, but will only display a resolution of 1920 x 1080.
- With its long-lasting maintenance-free laser light source, there is no need for frequent projector lamp changes for the lifespan of the projector. The laser light source can last up to 20,000 hours or everyday for ten years (based on watching content for five hours every day with the projector in Eco mode).
- Do not look into the lens during projection. Also, do not look into the lens using optical devices, such as a magnifying glass or telescope. This could cause visual impairment. When turning on the projector at a distance using the remote control, make sure no one is looking into the lens.
3-Chip LCD Technology: The EF-12 mini-laser projector also incorporates Epson's 3-chip LCD technology for amazing color, incredible detail and solid reliability. 3LCD's 3-chip architecture dedicates an entire chip to process each primary color - red, green, and blue, continuously. Unlike single-chip technology that delivers color sequentially, you get full-time color. The result is vibrant, realistic images and video all delivered with 3LCD's true-to-life color.
- True-to-Life Colors: 3LCD delivers up to 3x brighter colors in comparison with 1-chip DLP projectors. Color Brightness (Color Light Output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color Brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Additionally, 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Wider Color Gamut than 1-chip DLP projectors. With its 3-chip design, 3LCD delivers clear and vibrant images that are true-to-life. In contrast to 3-chip 3LCD projectors, 1-chip DLP projectors use a rotating color wheel that spins at a rapid speed, only displaying colors sequentially, which can result in color break-up or the "rainbow effect".
- Greater Detail & Contrast: 3LCD projection efficiently uses light to project to the screen with no color disruption. 3LCD technology delivers sharper and brighter images with superior grayscale detail. Grayscale is the shades of gray (from black to white) required for greater image depth and detail; it allows greater variation in shadows and brings superior accuracy to color, creating a jaw-dropping, true-to-life visual experience
- Energy Efficient: 3LCD projection technology uses light efficiently to create stunning images. In contrast to 1-chip technology, 3LCD requires 25% less electricity per lumen of brightness. 1-chip projectors use a color wheel, which leads to an inefficient design, thereby causing light loss. 3LCD does not rely on a color wheel. On average, 3LCD projectors are 25% more energy efficient.
- Simple & Reliable Design: 3LCD systems are reliable and use a simple optical design which includes 3 chips and 1 prism. Light flows seamlessly through the system to produce brilliant on-screen colors and sharp images every time.
High Brightness, Color, & Contrast: The projector's laser light source delivers bright and vibrant images even in daylight, with no need to turn the lights off or close the windows. Its capable of displaying high-definition content at an exceptional 1,000 lumens of brightness (for both color & white) with a high contrast ratio of 200,000:1, as well as reproduce up to 16.77 million colors with outstanding accuracy and vibrancy for an exceptionally rich and vivid picture.
Note: Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118.
High-Definition Mini-Cinema Lens: The Epson EF-12 features a high-definition mini-cinema lens for exceptional image clarity and edge-to-edge focus uniformity. It features digital zoom (controllable from remote) and manual focus (controllable from projector). The Epson EF-12 mini-laser projector can produce an image that is adjustable from 30" to 150" (measured diagonally). The projection distance (distance from lens to screen) range is only 2.2' to 11'.
|Screen Or Image Size (16:9 Aspect Ratio)||Projection Distance (wide to tele)|
Note: The distance at which you place the projector from the screen determines the approximate size of the image. The image size increases the farther the projector is from the screen.
Image Correction: You can project an evenly rectangular image by placing the projector directly in front of the center of the screen and keeping it level. If you place the projector at an angle to the screen, or tilted up or down, or off to the side, you may need to correct the image shape for the best display quality by using Keystone Correction or Quick Corner.
- Keystone Correction: When you turn on automatic keystone correction in the projector's Settings menu, the projector automatically corrects vertical keystone effects when you reposition the projector. You can also manually adjust the vertical and horizontal Keystone to correct the shape of the image, if it is not rectangular.
- Quick Corner Setting: You can use the projector's Quick Corner setting to correct the shape and size of an image that is unevenly rectangular on all sides.
Note: To provide the best possible image quality, adjust the projector's position to correct the image shape before using Keystone Correction or Quick Corner.
WiFi Certified: The Epson EpiqVision EF-12 mini-laser projector features 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for wireless connectivity to your home's network router and ISP (internet service provider). By connecting the EF-12 to your home network and ISP, you gain access to Android TV, Chromecast built-in, and Google Assistant. The EF-12 is not equipped with an Ethernet jack for a hardwired network connection.
- Android TV: With the integration of Android TV, you get access to a wide variety of online entertainment apps from GooglePlay. Android TV gives you access to over 5,000 movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Android TV provides access to many of your favorite apps such as Amazon, Disney+, Vudu, YouTube, Hulu, HBO Now, ESPN, Google Play, and more. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV apps.
- Chromecast built-in: Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android (OS 4.4.2+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device to the EF-12 projector. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows (on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Google Play, HBO Now, PlayStation Vue and more); your favorite music and radio stations (on Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, YouTube Music, and more); Sports highlights (on ESPN, NBC, CBS, and more); plus photos & videos (on YouTube, Google Photos, and more) from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the Sony TV. For a list of all compatible Chromecast Built-in apps click here.
- Google Assistant: The Epson projector supports the Google Assistant for Android TV and Chromecast built-in through the built-in microphone on the included remote control. You can simply trigger the Google Assistant by pressing the mic button on the remote and then speaking into the microphone after hearing an audible prompt. You can ask the Google Assistant to access Android TV, as well as control basic playback functions of those apps. In addition to Android TV voice commands, you can use the Google Assistant to control connected smart home devices and other Google Home enabled devices. The Google Assistant can also be used to find answers for many of your daily questions through Google's advanced search engine. The projector also supports voice control through the Google Home family of wireless speakers and other Google Assistant enabled devices (sold separately).
Note: Netflix cannot be accessed from the projector's built-in Android TV apps. However, you are able to cast Netflix to the projector using Chromecast built-in on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
HDMI: The Epson EpiqVision EF-12 is outfitted with two HDMI 2.0 inputs that support up to a 4K/HDR input signal and compliant with HDCP 2.3. The HDMI 2 input offers ARC (Audio Return Channel) for connection to an AV receiver or soundbar, and is compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, and 2ch PCM.
Note: Even though the EF-12 projector can accept a 4K/HDR input signal, it can only display up to a 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution.
USB-A Port: The Espon EF-12 is equipped with a USB (type-A) port for connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or HDD. Some HDD's will require an external AC power adapter. The EF-12 supports playback of audio, video, and photo files on a compatible USB MSC device. The USB device must be formatted in FAT 16 or 32. The USB-A port is not compatible with USB hubs, card-readers, Apple iOS devices, or Android devices.
Note: There is also a miniUSB port that is for service purposes only.
Picture Settings: The Epson EpiqVision EF-12 offers a variety of picture adjustments to improve your viewing experience.
- Color Modes: The projector offers different Color Modes to provide optimum brightness, contrast, and color for a variety of viewing environments and image types. You can select a mode designed to match your image and environment, or experiment with the available modes. Available Color Modes include - Dynamic, Vivid, Bright Cinema, Cinema, and Natural.
- Brightness & Contrast: You can turn on the projector's Dynamic Contrast setting to automatically optimize the image luminance. This improves the image contrast based on the brightness of the content you project. You can also manually adjust the brightness of the projector's light output.
- Image Clarity: You can manually adjust the projector's Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and Detail Enhancement to obtain a clearer, sharper, and more detailed image.
- Advanced Color Settings: color settings include Color Temperature, RGB Offset & Gain, Color Hue, Color Saturation, Color Brightness, and Gamma.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select the following image aspect ratio settings, depending on the input signal from your image source. Choose from Normal, Zoom, or Full.
Sound By Yamaha: The Epson EF-12 is equipped with a custom-designed 5-watt stereo speaker system designed by Yamaha. The Epson projector is also equipped with a stereo 3.5mm headphone out that allows you to connect a set of headphones. The projector offers several audio adjustments for its built-in speaker system.
- Sound Modes: You can select from variety of Sound Modes to match your playback content. Choose from Theater, TV, Studio, Stadium, Concerts, or Karaoke.
- Virtual Surround: The Virtual Surround mode provides a virtual surround effect from the built-in speaker system and can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Clear Voice: Clear Voice enhances vocals and dialog, so voices can be heard clearly.
- Auto Loudness: Auto Loudness automatically corrects the balance between high and low tones in the audio so that they are not out of balance, even when playing at low volume.
- Bass Extension: Bass Extension emphasizes the bass levels of the movie soundtrack.
- Sound Space: Sound Space adjusts the sound quality to suit your viewing position - select either Right, Center, or Left.
Note: The above settings only affect the built-in speaker system; they are not supported by the headphone output.
Bluetooth Receiver: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth 5.0, you can wirelessly transmit audio from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop to the Epson EF-12 projector integrated speaker system. You'll be able to wireless stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your compatible Bluetooth source device to the Epson projector.
Note: The EF-12 will not transmit Bluetooth audio to headphones, speakers, or soundbars. It is only a Bluetooth receiver (not a transmitter).
Remote Control: The included remote provides full wireless operation of the Epson EpiqVision EF-12 laser projector. The remote controls the projector's function via IR and uses Bluetooth to operate Google Assistant voice commands for Android TV and Chromecast built-in. When you connect an HDMI CEC-compatible device, such as Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box, to the projector via HDMI, you can control the device using the HDMI-Link control buttons on the projector's remote control. You can register the device you want to operate in the HDMI Link section of the projector's menu.
- The remote control lets you operate the projector from almost anywhere in the room, up to 16.4' away. You can point it at the front or back of the projector. Thanks to HDMI Link, you can use the included remote control to operate certain features of HDMI CEC devices connected to the projector's HDMI port.
- Avoid using the remote control in conditions with bright fluorescent lights or in direct sunlight, for the projector may not respond to commands.
Mounting Options: The Epson EF-12 can be placed on a flat tabletop surface. It can be used for front or rear projection. You can adjust the image position by raising or lowering the projector's foot.
Warranty & Extra Care Home Service: The projector is covered by a 2-year parts and labor warranty. Included with the warranty, Epson offers Extra Care Home Service. A replacement unit (in most cases, a refurbished unit) will be shipped to you immediately. (A credit card is required for security deposit.) If it's important that you receive your original projector back, you should use the basic carry-in service instead of Home Service.
1 question already asked