About the Epson Home Cinema 2150
A great all-purpose projector for day/night viewing
A great all-purpose projector for day/night viewing
If you're considering making the jump from a TV to a projector, let me just say, "Go for it!" I got my first projector eight years ago, and I hope to never be without one again. Projectors transform the experience of watching movies, sports, concerts, and TV shows. Epson's Home Cinema 2150 will make movie lovers feel like they're sitting in a theater, and sports fans feel like they're on the field.
The image size alone is impressive, but there's more to it. One of our managers here, Amy, recently bought a 2150, and she's stopped by my office two different times to rave about it. She bought it primarily to upgrade her son's gaming system, but the whole family has really gotten into movie nights. Amy described the difference this way: "Watching a movie with the projector, I don't even look at my phone or laptop — it's a completely immersive experience. I just had no idea how cool it would be. When the movie's over and we turn the lights back on, I forget that I've been sitting in my house the whole time. Seriously."
Designed for living rooms and family rooms, not caves
Many projectors are designed for use in darkened or dimly lit rooms, which is fine if you have a dedicated room, but otherwise it can be a limitation. The 2150 has loads of light power, so it's ideal for real-world family rooms, home theaters with really big screens, and situations where others in the room need to keep some lights on. It throws an image that's even bright enough for watching an afternoon ballgame.
Once the sun goes down, if you can lower your room lights you'll see the 2150 at its best. Watching in a dim or darkened room, you'll be knocked out by this projector's picture contrast and black levels. Epson's 3-LCD design has separate red, green, and blue image chips and 10-bit color processing to produce rich, realistic shades.
Flexible connections and built-in Wi-Fi
Two HDMI inputs are available for your high-definition sources. One of these inputs is MHL-compatible, so you can connect your compatible smartphone or tablet and look at photos and videos on a mega-sized screen. Use the USB input to connect your camera or a thumb drive — the projector's internal software lets you run slide shows without connecting a computer.
The 2150's built-in Wi-Fi is a convenient way to add content on your computer or portable device to your mix of projected entertainment.
- 3LCD, 3-chip technology with Full HD 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels each)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 30" to 300"
- light output: 2500 lumens
- dynamic iris for very good contrast and black level
- 60,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- 10-bit color processing can display up to one billion colors
- frame interpolation for smooth motion
- split screen feature lets you simultaneously project two images from different sources
- 3D-ready projector (Epson ELPGS03 active RF 3D glasses sold separately)
- 1.6X zoom lens (manual zoom/focus)
- vertical lens shift
- horizontal and vertical keystone correction
- 2 HDMI 1.4
- PC input
- USB input for connecting a thumb drive for viewing photos or for firmware updates
- stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- 802.11n Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- detachable power cord
- 200-watt UHE lamp (lasts up to 7500 hours in Eco mode)
- quiet cooling fan (27 dB in Eco mode)
- built-in mono speaker (10 watts)
- remote control
- screen mirroring send content wirelessly from device to projector with compatible smartphones and tablets
- one HDMI input is MHL-compatible so you can view photos/videos from a compatible smartphone
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 12-1/4"W x 4-13/16"H x 12-1/4"D
- weight: 7.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor in-home or carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # V11H852020
What's in the box:
- Video projector
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Quick Setup
- "Extra Care Home Service" sheet
- Disposal/Recycling note
Epson Home Cinema 2150 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Epson Home Cinema 2150
Features & specs
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||4500 hrs (7500 ECO)|
|Bulb Wattage||200 Watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2500|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port||Yes|
3LCD: The Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 projector utilizes 3-chip LCD technology for amazing color, incredible detail and solid reliability. 3LCD's 3-chip architecture dedicates an entire chip to process each primary color - red, green, and blue, continuously. Unlike single-chip technology that delivers color sequentially, you get full-time color. The result is vibrant, realistic images and video all delivered with 3LCD's true-to-life color.
- True-to-Life Colors: 3LCD delivers up to 3x brighter colors in comparison with 1-chip DLP projectors. Color Brightness (Color Light Output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color Brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Additionally, 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Wider Color Gamut than 1-chip DLP projectors. With its 3-chip design, 3LCD delivers clear and vibrant images that are true-to-life. In contrast to 3-chip 3LCD projectors, 1-chip DLP projectors use a rotating color wheel that spins at a rapid speed, only displaying colors sequentially, which can result in color break-up or the "rainbow effect".
- Greater Detail & Contrast: 3LCD projection efficiently uses light to project to the screen with no color disruption. 3LCD technology delivers sharper and brighter images with superior grayscale detail. Grayscale is the shades of gray (from black to white) required for greater image depth and detail; it allows greater variation in shadows and brings superior accuracy to color, creating a jaw-dropping, true-to-life visual experience
- Energy Efficient: 3LCD projection technology uses light efficiently to create stunning images. In contrast to 1-chip technology, 3LCD requires 25% less electricity per lumen of brightness. 1-chip projectors use a color wheel, which leads to an inefficient design, thereby causing light loss. 3LCD does not rely on a color wheel. On average, 3LCD projectors are 25% more energy efficient.
- Simple & Reliable Design: 3LCD systems are reliable and use a simple optical design which includes 3 chips and 1 prism. Light flows seamlessly through the system to produce brilliant on-screen colors and sharp images every time.
Projection Lamp: The projector uses an energy-efficient 200-watt Ultra High Efficiency (UHE) lamp with a life span of approximately 4,500 hours in the Normal Mode. In the ECO mode, the life span is increased to approximately 7,500 hours. The lamp (Part # V13H010L96) and air filter (Part # V13H134A55) are the only user-serviceable parts.
- Light Optimizer: When Power Consumption is set to Normal, the lamp brightness is adjusted based on the projected image; you can set this option for each color mode
- Fan Cooled: The projection lamp is kept cool by a fan. The fan noise level is 37dB in Normal mode and 28dB in ECO mode. If the projector is to be used at an altitude above 4921 feet (1500 meters), the High Altitude Mode should be turned on so the fan can properly cool the projector at the high altitude air pressure.
Projection Lens: The PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 features a F1.51-1.99 lens with a focal length of 18.2mm to 29.2mm. It has a manual focus and a manual zoom ratio of 1.0 to 1.6x. To provide the best possible image quality, adjust the projector's position to correct the image shape. If this isn't possible, then use the Len Shift, Keystone, or Quick Corner setting to correct the image shape.
- Lens Shift: The projector is quipped with vertical lens shift for increased placement flexibility for quick and easy setup. If you cannot install the projector directly in front of the screen, you can adjust the position of the projected image using the lens shift feature.
- Keystone: The projector automatically compensates for vertical keystone distortion (+/- 30°) when it is tilted upward or downward. Manual horizontal keystone adjustments (+/- 30°) can be made using the top-mounted slide control.
- Quick Corner: You can use the projector's Quick Corner setting to correct the shape and size of an image that is unevenly rectangular on all sides.
Projection Image & Distance: The PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 projector can produce an image that is adjustable from 30" to 300" (measured diagonally). The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size. The projection distance (distance from lens to screen) range is 34" to 570.9". The distance at which you place the projector from the screen determines the approximate size of the image. The projection distance can be determined from this chart:
|Screen Or Image Size (16:9 Aspect Ratio)||Projection Distance (wide to tele)||Offset From Lens Center|
|70"||69.3" - 112.6"||-1.6" - 2.76"|
|80"||92.5" - 150.4"||-2.0 - 4.0"|
|100"||116.1" - 188.2"||-.2.4" - 4.7"|
|150"||174.4" - 283.1"||-3.5" - 7.5"|
High Color Light Output: In the normal mode, the PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 outputs 2,500 lumens of white light and 2,500 lumens of color light for bright, balanced colorful images. The white light output is measured using ISO 21118, a more rigid standard than the ANSI lumens rating used by many competitors. Light output in the ECO mode is 1,650 lumens. The projector is capable of a dynamic contrast ratio up to 60,000:1 for rich detail in dark scenes.
1080p Native Resolution: The PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 has a native resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080; 16:10 aspect ratio). The total number of pixels is 2,073,600 dots (1920 x 1080) x 3.
Multiple Source Inputs: The PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 has inputs for multiple sources to give you lots of choices. For connecting to your video equipment, the unit features two HDMI (Ver.1.4) inputs. You can also connect your computer to the projector via the VGA input (D-Sub 15-pin) or HDMI inputs. There is also a USB-A port for connecting a USB thumbdrive. One of the HDMI inputs is even MHL compatible for connectivity of select MHL-enabled Android smartphones and tablets.
- HDMI/MHL: The projector's two HDMI 1.4 inputs can be used to connect home theater equipment, like your Blue-ray player and satellite receiver. Or, it can be used to connect your Windows PC or Mac computer. The HDMI 1 input is also MHL compatible for connectivity to MHL-enabled Android devices. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org. The HDMI 1.4 inputs support up to 1080p.
- VGA: You can also connect your Windows or Mac computer to the projector via VGA (D-Sub, 15-pin). The VGA input will support video up to 1920 x 1200.
- USB-A: The projector's USB-A port can be used to connect a USB thumbdrive for playback of JPEG (8192x8192) still images. The USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. You can use your projector's Slideshow feature whenever you connect a USB device that contains compatible image files. This lets you quickly and easily display a slide show, and control it using the projector's remote control.
3D Ready: Epson's advanced Bright 3D Drive technology enhances the brightness giving you theater-quality 3D images in your home. To view 3D content, you must first connect a 3D-compatible video device to one of the HDMI ports. You will also need Epson RF Active Shutter 3D glasses (sold separately) for each viewer. You can also convert 2D images to 3D using the 2D-to-3D conversion.
Split Screen: You can use the split screen feature to simultaneously project two images from different image sources (HDMI1/HDMI2 and Screen Mirroring) next to each other. You can control the split screen feature using the projector menus. While you use the split screen feature, other projector features may not be available, and some settings may be automatically applied to both images.
Note: You cannot project from the same input source onto both sides (left and right) of the screen. You also cannot use split screen with 3D images or certain input source combinations.
Image Settings: Settings on the Image menu let you adjust the aspect ratio and quality of your image for the input source you are currently using. The available settings depend on the currently selected input source.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select the following image aspect ratios (Auto, Normal, 16:9, Zoom, Full, Native), depending on the input signal from your image source. Black bands and cropped images may project in certain aspect ratios, depending on the aspect ratio and resolution of your input signal.
- Color Modes: The PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 offers six color modes to optimize viewing for different environments and image content. The Color Mode adjusts the brightness, contrast, and color for the best possible picture. A different color mode can be selected for each input source. You can select from the following choices - Natural, Dynamic, Bright Cinema, Cinema, 3D Dynamic, 3D Cinema.
- Manual Picture Adjustments: You can manually adjust the images Brightness, Contrast, Color Saturation, Tint, Sharpness, and Color Temperature.
- Auto Iris: Epson's Auto Iris Technology adjusts the aperture to provide the optimum contrast and brightness for each scene. In certain color modes, you can turn on the Auto Iris setting to automatically optimize the image based on the brightness of the content you project.
- Frame Interpolation: This feature smoothes fast moving video by comparing consecutive frames and inserting an intermediate frame between them.
- Detail Enhancement: This feature enhances details to create clear outlines for better image quality.
- Noise Reduction: This setting reduces flickering of analog images and reduces the noise or artifacts seen in MPEG video.
- RGBCMY: Adjusts the hue, saturation, and brightness for each color.
- Super White: Reduces over-exposure of whites in your image.
Miracast Technology: You can send images to your projector from mobile devices such as laptops, smartphones, and tablets using Miracast technology. Miracast is supported by Windows 8.1+ and Android 4.2+ devices.
Epson iProjection App: Epson iProjection is an intuitive mobile projection app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0+. Epson iProjection makes it easy to project images and files wirelessly from your compatible mobile device to the Epson projector. You'll be able to move about the room and effortlessly display content from your Apple iOS or Android device on the big screen. Key features include -
- QR code easy pairing is now supported.
- Display documents loaded in the Epson iProjection app on your mobile device.
- Display web pages and images stored in the "Photo" library of your mobile device.
- Use the built-in projector remote control feature to control input sources, AV mute, freeze, audio settings, operate menu, zoom by finger with Touchpad and more.
- Send files from your email or cloud storage apps to the iProjection app.
- Marker function enables highlighting and annotation of projected photos and documents and also saving annotation to your device
- Supported Formats & Activities: Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx, Office 2003 or later), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx, Office 2003 or later), Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx, Office 2003 or later), Keynote (.key), Adobe PDF(v1.7) (.pdf, Acrobat 8 compatible or later), .JPG, and .PNG.
- Activities Not Supported: The Epson iProjection app does not support video playback, PowerPoint and Keynote animations, or mirroring.
Built-in Speaker + Audio Output: The PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 has its own built-in, rear-panel 10W mono speaker. It also features a stereo 3.5mm audio output to connect an external AV receiver or powered speaker.
Remote Control + HDMI Link: In addition to the control panel, the projector can be controlled by the supplied wireless remote control, which has a range of approximately 19.7'. The projector has infrared receivers on the front and rear to give you control from most anywhere in the room. When you connect HDMI CEC-compatible devices, such as a receiver or Blu-ray player, to the projector via HDMI cables, you can control them using the HDMI-Link control buttons on the projector's remote control. You can register the devices you want to operate in the HDMI Link section of the projector's menu.
Mounting Options: The PowerLite Home Cinema 2150 can be placed on a tabletop or inverted and mounted on the ceiling. It can be used for front or rear projection. For tabletop use, you can adjust the image position by raising or lowering the two rear feet and one front foot. For ceiling mounting, you will need an optional projector ceiling mount (sold separately). Three M4 x 9mm threaded screw holes are provided on the bottom for a ceiling mount. A commercially-available Kensington security lock can be attached to the unit to prevent theft when installed in a public location.
Sleep Mode: The projector turns off automatically when no video signal is received for a preset amount of time. You can set the sleep mode to 1 to 30 minutes.
Firmware & Software Updates (via USB): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Epson's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
Warranty & Extra Care Home Service: The projector is covered by a 2-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days. Included with the warranty, Epson offers Extra Care Home Service. A replacement unit (in most cases, a refurbished unit) will be shipped to you immediately. (A credit card is required for security deposit.) If it's important that you receive your original projector back, you should use the basic carry-in service instead of Home Service.
The Epson Home Cinema 2150 replaces these items
8 questions already asked