About the Epson Home Cinema 3800
An advanced projector at a budget price
An advanced projector at a budget price
Epson continues to refine their pixel-shifting projection technology, and with the Home Cinema 3800, they've made it affordable for more movie fans. Technically, the 3800 is a 1080p projector, but it accepts native 4K content, including movies and shows encoded with HDR. The picture looks noticeably sharper than any HD projector we've seen.
The 3800's built-in video upscaling helps standard Blu-ray discs and other HD sources look amazing, too. And there's no need to retire your favorite DVD titles, because Epson's Super Resolution "smart sharpening" feature gives standard-definition video sources a crisp, clean look.
A big, bright picture with lifelike detail, color and contrast
The Home Cinema 3800's extra-sharp, detailed picture is the result of Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology, which shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel and combines the two images to provide a sharper picture. This allows the 3800 to render 4K content clearly with remarkable detail, for a bright, crisp image. The projector also supports HDR10, the most common HDR format, as well as HLG, the likely HDR format for the next generation of over-the-air broadcast TV.
HDR-enhanced movies and shows produce more realistic contrast swings, and colors with extra pop, when displayed through the 3800. There's lots of 4K/HDR movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the 3800 has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for life-sized projector images, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
Plenty of light for bright rooms, plus light control for dark rooms
If you don't have a fully light-controlled room for viewing, don't worry. The 3800 has plenty of light power to handle real-world family rooms, home theaters with really big screens, and situations where others in the room need to keep some lights on.
On the other hand, if you're able to make your room really dark, you'll want to use one of the projector's lower light settings, and turn on the "auto iris" feature, which boosts contrast and deepens blacks in dark scenes.
Flexible placement and hookup options
Whether you end up placing the 3800 on a table or shelf, or ceiling-mounting it, you'll find the projector's horizontal and vertical "lens shift" controls will allow you to position the projector off-center and still get a perfectly true image.
For the best picture quality from this 4K-compatible projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- 3-LCD, 3-chip technology
- 1080p native resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels) with Epson PRO-UHD™ 4K Enhancement Technology
- 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by half a pixel to provide a more detailed, higher-resolution image than 1080p
- accepts 4K Ultra HD video sources
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10, HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- 16-level HDR brightness control with direct access from remote
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 40" to 300"
- light output: 3000 lumens
- 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- auto iris for improved contrast and black level
- full 10-bit digital color processing
- Frame Interpolation for reduced motion judder (only available for 1080p signals when not using 4K Enhancement)
- Super Resolution detail enhancement improves the look of standard-definition video
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Epson ELPGS03 active 3D glasses sold separately)
Lens and Image Adjustments:
- 12-element precision glass lens
- lens has 1.6X zoom capability (manual zoom/focus)
- lens shift image adjustment (manual, horizontal and vertical)
- keystone correction (manual, horizontal and vertical)
- 2 HDMI 2.0 inputs (18 Gbps max. bandwidth)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or other audio system
- 2 USB-A ports (one is for connecting a streaming device, firmware updates, or an optional Wi-Fi module; the other is for connecting an optical HDMI cable that requires USB power)
- miniUSB port for service only
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- 12-volt trigger output for controlling a motorized screen
- built-in rear-firing stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- the projector's audio output will be disabled when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speakers
- 250-watt UHE lamp (lasts up to 5000 hours in Eco mode)
- quiet cooling fan (24 dB in Eco mode)
- full-size backlit remote control
- detachable power cord
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 16-1/8"W x 6-1/2"H x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 15.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor in-home or carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # V11H959020
What's in the box:
- Video projector (lens cap installed)
- 10' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Quick Setup Guide
- Important Notice
- Warranty Information
- "Extra Care Home Service" brochure
- "Information Regarding Waste and Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)" note
Epson Home Cinema 3800 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Epson Home Cinema 3800
Features & specs
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||4000 hrs (5000 ECO)|
|Bulb Wattage||250 watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||3000|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port|
Epson 3LCD, 3-Chip Technology: The Home Cinema 3800 projector utilizes Epson's own 3LCD, 3-chip technology for amazing color, incredible detail and solid reliability. 3LCD's 3-chip architecture dedicates an entire chip to process each primary color - red, green, and blue, continuously. Unlike single-chip technology that delivers color sequentially, you get full-time color. The result is vibrant, realistic images and video all delivered with 3LCD's true-to-life color.
- True-to-Life Colors: 3LCD delivers up to 3x brighter colors in comparison with 1-chip DLP projectors. Color Brightness (Color Light Output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color Brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Additionally, 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Wider Color Gamut than 1-chip DLP projectors. With its 3-chip design, 3LCD delivers clear and vibrant images that are true-to-life. In contrast to 3-chip 3LCD projectors, 1-chip DLP projectors use a rotating color wheel that spins at a rapid speed, only displaying colors sequentially, which can result in color break-up or the "rainbow effect".
- Greater Detail & Contrast: 3LCD projection efficiently uses light to project to the screen with no color disruption. 3LCD technology delivers sharper and brighter images with superior grayscale detail. Grayscale is the shades of gray (from black to white) required for greater image depth and detail; it allows greater variation in shadows and brings superior accuracy to color, creating a jaw-dropping, true-to-life visual experience
- Energy Efficient: 3LCD projection technology uses light efficiently to create stunning images. In contrast to 1-chip technology, 3LCD requires 25% less electricity per lumen of brightness. 1-chip projectors use a color wheel, which leads to an inefficient design, thereby causing light loss. 3LCD does not rely on a color wheel. On average, 3LCD projectors are 25% more energy efficient.
- Simple & Reliable Design: 3LCD systems are reliable and use a simple optical design which includes 3 chips and 1 prism. Light flows seamlessly through the system to produce brilliant on-screen colors and sharp images every time.
4K PRO-UHD Projection Technology: The Home Cinema 3800 has a native resolution of 1080p (1920x1080) and employs Epson's 4K PRO-UHD Projection Technology to create an enhanced 4K (4096x2160) image. 4K PRO-UHD Projection Technology utilizes advanced processing to enhance resolution (4K), color (10-bit), and image processing (12-bit); resulting in an exceptional 4K home theater experience.
- 4K Resolution Enhancement: Pixel-shifting technology precisely controls the projector's three individual, high definition LCD chips and shifts millions of pixels diagonally to double the resolution and surpass Full HD image quality for an enhanced 4K experience.
- Full 10-Bit HDR: The Epson Home Cinema 3800 accepts 100% of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR content for an amazing visual experience. HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The Home Cinema 3800 supports HDR 10 and HLG (not compatible with Dolby Vision).
- Digital Video Processing: The Home Cinema 3800 utilizes real-time 12-bit analog-to-digital video processing for smooth tonal transitions; eliminating banding, blocking, and other compression artifacts from the final visual performance.
Note: The Home Cinema 3800 has a native resolution of 1080p (1920x1080) and incorporates pixel-shifting technology to create an enhanced 4K image (4096x2160).
Outstanding Brightness & Contrast with Auto Iris: The Epson Home Cinema 3800 boasts an impressive 3,000 lumens for both color and white brightness, plus a contrast ratio of up to 100,000:1 for rich detail in bright and dark scenes. The Auto Iris system constantly controls the light output based on the gamma and black/white levels of the projected content to give you perfectly adjusted images and deepest blacks. Using the remote, you can select either Normal or High Speed to indicate how quickly you would like the projector to respond to changes in the brightness of the image.
Note: Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118.
HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps): The Home Cinema 3800 is equipped with two HDMI 2.0 inputs (18Gbps) that are compatible with virtually all color formats, depths and spaces while simultaneously supporting 4K/HDR content at a full 60Hz. HDCP 2.2 is supported by both HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players, 4K Satellite/Cable providers, and ultra high definition online video services. In addition to 4K (3840x2160), the HDMI inputs will also accept 1080p, 720p, 480p, and 480i video resolution signals.
Note: The projector features a USB-A (300mA) port for connecting an optical HDMI cable that requires USB power.
3D-Ready: Epson's advanced Bright 3D Drive technology enhances the brightness giving you theater-quality 3D images in your home. To view 3D content, you must first connect a 3D-compatible video device to one of the HDMI ports. You will also need a pair of Epson RF Active Shutter 3D glasses (ELPGS03, sold separately) for each viewer. The projector's 2D-to-3D Conversion setting will even transform 2D images to 3D content.
Image Settings: Settings on the Image menu let you adjust the aspect ratio, color, and quality of your image for the input source you are currently using. The available settings depend on the currently selected input source.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select the following image aspect ratios, depending on the input signal from your image source. Black bands and cropped images may project in certain aspect ratios, depending on the aspect ratio and resolution of your input signal.
- Auto: Automatically sets the aspect ratio according to the input signal.
- Normal: Displays images using the full projection area and maintains the aspect ratio of the image.
- Full: Displays images using the full width of the projection area, but does not maintain the aspect ratio.
- Zoom: Displays images using the full width of the projection area and maintains the aspect ratio of the image.
- Anamorphic Wide: Displays images recorded at Cinema Scope size when you attach a commercially available anamorphic lens to the projector.
- Horizontal Squueze: Stretches the horizontal aspect of the image when you attach a commercially available anamorphic lens to the projector.
- Color Modes: The Home Cinema 3800 offers a variety of color modes to optimize viewing for different environments and image content. The Color Mode adjusts the brightness, contrast, and color for the best possible picture. A different color mode can be selected for each input source.
- Dynamic: For projecting the brightest picture available (2D or 3D).
- Cinema: For viewing movies in a dark room (2D or 3D).
- Bright Cinema: For viewing movies in a room with closed curtains. (2D only).
- Natural: For projecting natural, accurate colors in a dimly lit room (2D only).
- Fine Tune Picture: If the image colors don't look correct, you can adjust them using the following settings.
- Color Convergence (Panel Alignment): You can use the Panel Alignment feature to manually adjust the color convergence (the alignment of the red, green and blue colors) in the projected image.
- Color Tone (Color Uniformity): You can use the Color Uniformity feature to manually adjust the color tone balance in the projected image.
- Gamma: Adjusts the gamma levels of the image.
- RGBCMY: Adjusts the hue, saturation, and brightness for each color.
- Deinterlacing: Sets whether to convert interlaced-to-progressive signals for certain video image types.
- Manual Adjustments: You can manually adjust the images Brightness, Contrast, Color Saturation, Tint, Sharpness, and Color Temperature.
- Image Enhancements: Use the projector's Image Enhancements to further enhance the projected video image.
- Frame Interpolation: This setting compares the current and previous frames, then creates a frame between them to reduce fuzziness and produce clearer moving images. You can select from 3 levels of frame interpolation. This feature is only available for 1080p signals at 24Hz.
- Super Resolution: This setting sharpens blurred images, enhancing the apparent detail of the image. You can select from 3 levels of enhancement. Note that intentionally blurred parts of the image, such as out-of-focus backgrounds, may become sharper. This feature is not available when projecting 3D.
- Detail Enhancement: Enhances details to create clear outlines for sharper and more refined images that are more lifelike. This feature is not available when projecting 3D.
- Noise & MPEG Noise Reduction: This setting reduces flickering of analog images, as well as reduces the noise or artifacts seen in MPEG video.
Built-In Speakers & Bluetooth: The Home Cinema 3800 is equipped with 10W x 2ch stereo speakers for audio playback from your connected HDMI components and paired Bluetooth devices. You can also wirelessly pair the projector with a Bluetooth-enabled speaker or headphone, so you can wirelessly stream audio from the Home Cinema 3800 out to your Bluetooth compatible speaker, soundbar, or headphone.
Note: The Home Cinema 3800 does not support Bluetootha audio streaming from a smartphone, tablet, laptop, computer, or other Bluetooth-enabled source device.
Warranty and Extra Care Home Service: The projector is covered by a 2-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days. Included with the warranty, Epson offers Extra Care Home Service. A replacement unit (in most cases, a refurbished unit) will be shipped to you immediately. (A credit card is required for security deposit.) If it's important that you receive your original projector back, you should use the basic carry-in service instead of Home Service.
Lamp, Lens, & Installation
Projection Lamp (Fan Cooled): The projector uses a 250-watt Ultra High Efficiency (UHE) lamp with a life span of approximately 4000 hours in the Normal mode, 5000 hours in ECO mode, or 3500 hours in High mode. The lamp (Part # V13H010L85) and air filter (Part # V13H134A39) are the only user-serviceable parts. The projection lamp is kept cool by a fan. The fan noise level is 35dB in Normal mode and 24dB in ECO mode.
Note: If the projector is to be used at an altitude above 4921 feet (1500 meters), the High Altitude Mode should be turned on so the fan can properly cool the projector at the high altitude air pressure.
Epson Precision Lens: The Epson Home Cinema 3800 utilizes a multi-element precision glass structure lens for outstanding image clarity and edge-to-edge focus uniformity, along with manual optical zoom and manual focus. The manual zoom lens has a F-number of 1.49 to 1.77, Focal Length of 18.2mm to 29.2mm, and Zoom Ratio of 1.32 to 2.15. The projection lens also incorporates vertical and horizontal axis Lens Shift adjustment, plus Keystone Correction.
- Lens Shift: If the projected image is not centered in front of the screen, you can correct the position of the image using the vertical and horizontal lens shift dials on the top of the projector. The vertical position can be adjusted by up to +/-60% of the height of the screen, while the horizontal position can be adjusted by up to +/- 24% of the width of the screen.
- Keystone Correction: The vertical and horizontal keystone buttons, located on the side of the projector, can correct the shape of the image, if it is not rectangular. Adjustable from -30° to + 30°.
Projection Image & Distance: The Home Cinema 3800 projector can produce an image that is adjustable from 40" to 300" (measured diagonally). The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities (from 46" to 377") for a given screen size. The distance at which you place the projector from the screen determines the approximate size of the image. The image size increases the farther the projector is from the screen, but can also vary depending on the zoom factor, aspect ratio, and other settings.
|Aspect Ratio||Screen Or Image Size||Projection Distance (wide to tele)|
|16:9||40"||46 - 75"|
|60"||60 - 112"|
|80"||93 - 150"|
|100"||116 - 188"|
|120"||139 - 226"|
|150"||175 - 283"|
|200"||233 - 377"|
Mounting Options: The Home Cinema 3800 can be placed on a tabletop or inverted and mounted on the ceiling. It can be used for front or rear projection. For tabletop use, you can adjust the image position by raising or lowering the front feet. For ceiling mounting, you will need an optional projector ceiling mount (sold separately). Five 4mm threaded screw holes are provided on the bottom for a ceiling mount.
Note: A commercially-available Kensington security lock can be attached to the unit to prevent theft when installed in a public location.
Remote Control: The Epson Home Cinema 3800 can be operated from its control panel, the included IR remote, HDMI-CEC, or a 3rd party automation system (sold separately).
- IR Remote: In addition to the control panel, the projector can be controlled by the supplied wireless remote control, which has a range of approximately 32'. The projector has infrared receivers on the front and rear to give you control from most anywhere in the room.
- HDMI Link: When you connect HDMI CEC-compatible devices, such as an AV receiver or Blu-ray player, to the projector via HDMI cables, you can control them using the HDMI-Link control buttons on the projector's remote control. You can register the devices you want to operate in the HDMI Link section of the projector's menu.
- RS-232C Port: There is also a RS-232C port for connecting the projector to a 3rd party A/V controller or automation system (sold separately).
Epson iProjection App (requires network adapter): Epson iProjection is an intuitive mobile projection app for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0+. Epson iProjection makes it easy to project images and files wirelessly from your compatible mobile device to the Epson projector. You'll be able to move about the room and effortlessly display content from your Apple iOS or Android device on the big screen. Key features include -
- QR code easy pairing is now supported.
- Display documents loaded in the Epson iProjection app on your mobile device.
- Display web pages and images stored in the "Photo" library of your mobile device.
- Use the built-in projector remote control feature to control input sources, AV mute, freeze, audio settings, operate menu, zoom by finger with Touchpad and more.
- Send files from your email or cloud storage apps to the iProjection app.
- Marker function enables highlighting and annotation of projected photos and documents and also saving annotation to your device
- Supported Formats & Activities: Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx, Office 2003 or later), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx, Office 2003 or later), Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx, Office 2003 or later), Keynote (.key), Adobe PDF(v1.7) (.pdf, Acrobat 8 compatible or later), .JPG, and .PNG.
- Activities Not Supported: The Epson iProjection app does not support video playback, PowerPoint and Keynote animations, or mirroring.
Trigger Output: The projector has a 3.5mm Trigger Output port which delivers a 12-volt signal (max 200 mA) to lower your motorized projector screen while the projector is powered on.
Sleep Mode: The projector turns off automatically when no video signal is received for a preset amount of time. You can set the sleep mode to 5, 10, or 30 minutes.
Firmware & Software Updates (via USB): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Epson's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
3 questions already asked